Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-11-18 Name: D Griff
Location: South, FL

"Trane Defects"
I am a contractor in Florida. Unlike the other contractor review, we find Trane units to be the most expensive to repair with the most defective coils. I have had to change approximately 12 warranty Trane coils this year. No house or unit was over 2-3 years old. Two of those are again defective. Trane is honoring the warrantied parts, but leaving the contractors and homeowners holding the bag for these defective parts.

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: D. Antony
Location: TN

"Poor installation"
I've been a contractor in the business over 28 years. Trane/American Standard is some of the best equipment out there. That being said any equipment will work properly when the application and installation is done properly. I would say most problems are from poor installation especially multiple and re-occurring problems. Of course you always have the dishonest-make a killing every time you show up types that give us all a bad name. The equipment is all the same in theoretical functions, I just find the Trane/Am Std better in quality and consistency. They also have some of the best technical assistance in the business in my experience. Contractors that can't solve issues are not willing too loose time and money to make the customer satisfied. That's why they have to pay for large adds in the phone book for new business. Their repeat business is nil. My philosophy is do a good job and the money will follow, most have it backwards. I guess thatís why I don't have to advertise and I haven't taken any new customers in a few years

Date created: 2008-11-05 Name: Diane

"Trane 21/2 ton package unit"
This unit has been a lemon!! On May 2, 2002 we had a Trane Heating & Air Heat Pump installed, and on Nov. 4, 2008 we get the news that our third (3rd) compressor is shot! I have invoices totaling over $2,500.00 in repairs for the past 7 1/2 years on this unit after the initial cost of $3,200.00. What a piece of junk!! I would love to pick up this unit and dump it on Trane's doorstep. This is a true and honest statement. Can you possibly comprehend having 4 compressors in 7 1/2 years on a Trane unit?

Date created: 2008-09-14 Name: Lois B. Yates
Location: NJ

"NEVER BUY A TRANE!"
I have not had A/C since before Memorial Day 2008. The entire summer has been spent trying to fix this 19 Seer, 5 ton unit. It will not cool below 80 degrees and my electric bill was $828 for the 2 weeks. I had it on to see if it would finally work. Trane does not return calls and could care less. The cheap builders unit cooled at less money for 16 years and this over priced piece of junk is worthless. I am going to sue.

Date created: 2008-09-12 Name: Wendy Weiss
Location: Combine, Texas

"Trane AC"
This house is only 8 years old and I have never had a seconds worth of trouble with an air conditioning compressor until I purchased this house 6 years ago with a Trane outside unit. All of my other houses had Carrier. I am very disgusted that I am faced with replacing the air compressor. First it was contactors, $400.00, next it was replace the fan motor $700.00 and still makes a horrible noise now they tell me it must be the air compressor. The technician said he could put new compressor in and estimates $2,600.00 not including labor. It is also leaking from an outside drain so my very expensive contractor gave me a name of a person at Trane because my unit was under 10 years old but naturally the compessor is out of warranty. He thought they could work with me on covering the Compressor since Trane is suppose to be the best will of course not no help at all and could care less so I am faced with spending more on this Trane air conditioning system than I have ever spent on all previous houses. Never again will I own or recommend Trane.

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: James Griffin
Location: Willis, Texas

"James Griffin"
This is my eight house to own since I was 22 years old and now I am 60. I have never had a seconds worth of trouble with an air conditioning compressor until I purchased this house with a Trane outside unit. All of my other houses had Carrier. I am very disgusted that I am faced with replacing the air compressor. First it was contactors, $198.00, next it was the fan motor $541.00 and now the air compressor is making a terrible sound. I called the technician out and he said he could put on the unit what he called a "air compressor saver" another $216.00. He estimates the new compressor to be in the area of $2,600.00 including labor. I have and will be faced with spending more on this Trane air conditioning system than I have ever spent on all previous houses. Never again will I own or recommend Trane.

Date created: 2008-08-29 Name: Walter Chamberlain
Location: Texas

"Walter Chamberlain"
Had this over priced unit for 6 years and the compressor crashed. Never again.

Date created: 2008-08-22 Name: N. Eden
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Unhappy Trane customer"
Horrible! Started having problems 1 month after we bought 2 new units for our house and had them installed at the same time. We've had nothing but problems with both units. Wish we had not chosen Trane and can't believe how much we paid and how many service calls we've had on both units.

Date created: 2008-07-30 Name: Buttercatz
Location: Corona, CA

"Trane heating and air"
Do not buy a Trane. All the ratings are bs. I am a landlord that has dealt with numerous products over the past 20 years. The Trane system I bought broke down (dumping water on electronic components) within 3 years. Go with Rheem or anybody else. I've bought virtual no name units that have lasted longer. They do not honor their manufacturers or extended warranty either. I had to pay for all new parts. They stated that the unit was not under normal use (bs) and that the specific parts were not covered by the warranty (bs). Useless.

Date created: 2008-07-24 Name: PEGGY MURPHY
Location: The Woodlands, TX

"TRANE BAHHUMBUG"
SIX YEARS AGO AFTER RESEARCHING A/C UNITS EVERYONE SAID TRANE. SO I HAD ONE INSTALLED. I REALLY FIGURED SINCE THE CARRIER I HAD REPLACED AFTER 30 YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE, A TRANE WOULD LAST AT LEAST 20 OR MORE. HA, SEARS JUST LEFT AND SAID THE CONDENSER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND THE OUTSIDE UNIT WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED BY NEXT YR. SO WHAT IS UP WITH THIS. I AM SO TICKED OFF AFTER EVERYTHING TRANE CLAIMS TO BE. THEY ARE JUST HOGWASH. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND A TRANE (EXCEPT TO GET OUT OF TOWN) AGAIN. I WOULD LIKE TO RIP IT OUT AND DUMP IT IN THE MANUFACTURES FRONT LAWN.