Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-06-06 Name: R. Ferazani

"JUNK"
Two years ago we purchased this piece of junk !!!! One year later no freon. no charge . two years later no freon 750.00. Leaks both times . I would like to push this thing off the roof.

Date created: 2009-06-06 Name: Norm G.

"Hard to stop a Trane? NOT!"
Add me to the list of unhappy Trane customers. Only three years old an our Trane ac has gone down for the 4th time! First it was a coolant leak, then the fan motor failed, followed by a leak on a valve on the outside section. Now I'm told the indoor coil has a coolant leak and needs to be replaced! The repairman told me Trane has had issues with these coils leaking...wish I had been told that before I spent $5000 on this junk system! Even though Trane will warranty the coil, I have to pay over $1000 to cover the labor and coolant replacement! I will never buy a Trane again! We've called the dealer and Trane directly but neither one seems to care that they sold us a complete lemon! We are seriously considering having this cheap system completely tron out and putting in another brand from another company. If have to laugh at their "It's hard to stop a Trane" advertising slogan....looks like it easy to stop a Trane...just buy one and you'll find out.

Date created: 2009-06-05 Name: H Silverman

"Not Sure Trane is So Good"
Original off-brand unit lasted with some repairs over 25 years. This 3.5 ton Trane installed August of 1998 was supposed to be a good investment. Now I am told the coil needs replacing to the tune of $2,000 and probably should replace the entire unit to tune of $5,000 and although furnace is fine, add another $1,000 and we will have everything new again......my hope was this unit would last at least 20 years or longer with occasional maintenance. What is the expected life of a completely new HVAC system?

Date created: 2009-06-04 Name: Edgar Renteria

"Stay away from TRANE"
Three years and about $1800 later in repair bills, this Trane unit is going to the dump! Not even 2 years old and the damn compressor failed.....it was under warranty but the labor wasn'T. Only one month after having the compressor replaced the outdoor fan motor seized up! Not to mention it leaks freon every year (including a leak inside of the inddor coil...again, we had to pay for the labor to get it fixed!) junk! Junk! Junk! And very noisy to boot! Stay away from trane unless you just like to throw your money down the drain!

Date created: 2009-06-04 Name: J. McCaleb

"Customer"
The unit stopped working. Had condenser replaced and now am having to replace all the tubing. What I just found out and you may not know is that Trane is not honoring the labor costs on the warranty and is pushing the costs off onto the customers. The labor costs to replace my unit were extremely high. Please be careful before you buy a Trane product. I understand this issue is currently in court. If any Trane lawyers are monitoring this site-good. I would be happy for you to convince Trane to honor the integrity of their warranty.

Date created: 2009-05-30 Name: T. Ward

"Trane"
The Trane system on out home is only 7 years old and already the air compressor is out. To replace the compressor will cost us 2000.00. please do not by a Trane.

Date created: 2009-05-29 Name: Clint Z

"Poor quality products"
Poor quality parts and design. Requires biannual maintence service. Parts are expensive. Since we inherited this unit after moving in 7 years ago, the compressor capacitor broke after 2 yrs, then exchange unit fan broke loose on the 3rd yr and had to be changed. Now the compressor capacitor and its fan capacitor broke again and the cooling fan is giving abnormal noise and may stop working any time. This system was installed merely 11 yrs.

Date created: 2009-05-17 Name: Jonathan scott

"Hope it never breaks down"
Parts are so expensive. its like having a luxury car has a good name but when it breaks down man is it expensive. the the compressor unit out side gets so dirty cause they are spiny the repair man cleaned it for over a hour and it will not get clean making my bills higher.

Date created: 2009-05-15 Name: C. H.

"YCX-042"
We have been very unhappy with this roof top package unit. It has that dirty sock smell the first couple of times ac is used in a season. ac unit it replaced never had this issue. Required a new evaporator coil only a year after install, coil covered under warranty, but labor cost us $500. Now needs another evaporator coil for $2100. Heat has worked fine. Not a good record for a premium brand.

Date created: 2009-05-13 Name: Patti Tichenor
Location: Alabama

"Don't believe the commercials"
We replaced a 13 year old contractor's grade a/c that had started to have problems over the last two years with a very expensive Trane a/c downstairs and a combo heat pump/A-C upstairs. Service call last year, replace freon found 2 possible sources of leaks. Turned it on this year, again, no cooling. Two service calls and over a $1,000 later the coil was replaced (under warranty) charges were for labor, coolant.... The contractor won't budge on the price. I hate trane and their commercials. I should have researched A/Cs better. do not buy a Trane, they are crap. We needed something reliable,(my husband has ms and cannot take the heat and we live in Alabama), but this is a disaster and a total rip off for an unsuspecting consumer. Dare I say, the upstairs has been fine but it does not run as much.