Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-11-09 Name: A. Sims

"Trane Central Air"
We built our home in 1992 and thought we were having an excellant central air and furnace by Trane installed. We have had so many service calls for loosing freon, had to have the coils in attic replaced at $1,300 expense on top of all the service calls and cost of freon. Now we have a hole in the coils on outside unit. We are replacing the outside and attic units this week. I'm afraid the slogan "You can't stop a Trane" didn't apply to our units.

Date created: 2009-11-05 Name: Sam
Location: Las Vegas

"XR12 AC with XR80 Gas Furnace"
Live in Las Vegas so cool ac is critical. In 2004 replaced york heat pump and ac with the Trane. Saved 30-40% on heating/cooling costs. Runs quiet and cools/heats the home (1679 Sq Ft) rapidly. I've researched many manufacturers and would agree with the hvac folks: quality installation is key to a well running system regardless of manufacturer chosen. Paid $6,000 and have 10 year parts and labor. Great system + proper install = happy customer.
Date created: 2009-09-08 Name: Stan Smyl

"Roll of the dice"
I bought a new rooftop package unit to replace an 8 year old Rheem that was installed by the worst hvac company around, Barnett's Heating and Air of Modesto. I went with Trane and Tenny Norquist just because of my poor Barnett experience. What a difference! I've had my new Trane 3 years now and all I've ever had to do was maintain it 2x a year using Norquist's maintenance agreement. We have Trane's at work and they have been working for quite some time. a little more expensive, but at least I didn't have to worry about the quality of work, or hide my valuables whenever the service technician came to visit, like with Barnetts.
Date created: 2009-09-05 Name: Nino Ruggiero

"Nino Ruggiero"
I have two Trane Air conditioner units both 6 years old one unit leaked freon and had to replace the coil cost me over $1100.00 When I looked online to get some more facts on Trane I learned that Trane is owned by Ingersoll Rand everything makes sense now when a company with a good name is bought by a bigger company more often than not they cash on the past reputation and the quality goes down as it happened with Trane.When investing a lot of money in these units they should certainly last more than six years. Oh by the way the warranty on my unit was for five years.
Date created: 2009-08-24 Name: Yvonne

"Trane is to blame"
Five years ago Trane a/c unit was installed new. Many problems...needs new compressor and two other parts (circuit board and relay?). It worked fine up until this year. This is our second call for service this season. I hope parts are readily available. I have a yearly service contract with the furnace company that installed it. I think I'm covered, but it's a huge inconvenience.
Date created: 2009-08-17 Name: Doug

"Trane Installer"
As a small hvac company Only Trane is offered for product. Having installed over 30 units in 2 years there has been 0 problems and the only complaining is that they don't break down. Trane offers a 10 year warranty and stand behind their products 100%. Trane is top of the line with Lennox running second. Carrier running with amanna and goodman.
Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: D. Lundy

"Follow-up for M Abercrombie"
I purchased a new Trane system on 9/02/08 at the recommendation of McBee Heating & Air in Tulsa. When I turned on the ac this summer, my garage developed a steady stream of water running from the closet containing the unit. I called McBee & their tech came right out looked at the problem and reported "the simplest way to fix this is to run a new drain line down the garage wall and out into the garden." After inspecting the pipe and finding the dust of the past 10 months undisturbed, I did some research. I called McBee back & questioned the need for new drainage when the existing might be viable. Mr. McBee advised that the line was probably blown out with co2 at install & he "wasnt liable for any water damage & couldn't help if a mouse or critter had clogged my drain since then." In frustration, I called my plumber. He discovered an algae plug where the pvc drain pipe meets the system. He removed it & advised that McBees installer reused the old pvc drain pipe from the previous system. My plumber installed new pvc pipe connected to the existing drain, which works perfectly. McBee treated me like I was an idiot. My problem was not with Trane; my problem is with the installer I purchased it from. I am disappointed because McBee installed the system for my parents and they recommended I continue to use McBee.
Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Louise F.

"Poor quality and poor service"
I have a two year old home with a Trane air conditioner that was installed by the builder. The coil has failed twice. Trane has paid for the part, but I have had to pay for shipping, labor and freon for both failures. No response to four voice messages to the Trane distributor. Trane Corporation responded to my email and suggested purchase of an extended warranty. However, the local dealer says extended warranty is not available because the quality of the unit is so poor.
Date created: 2009-08-08 Name: Big Dave

"Trane Air Condition Units are Crap"
The Trane unit I purchased a little over 8 years ago for $6,000 a (model ze1200), is a complete piece of junk. This thing has needed over $1200 in repairs in the last three years and it is currently broken again. It constantly stops cooling and needed everything from freon to brand a new contactor. It was repaired about three months ago. It is looking like the unit will need to be replaced but you can be sure it will NOT be a TRANE. Please, anyone looking to by a TRANE will be in for a nightmare. I have now had three repair people to tell me that these unit only last 4-6 years. If anyone has one that lasted longer then count themselves lucky!
Date created: 2009-08-05 Name: Jasmin Figueroa
Location: Downtown Miami

"Crane A/C is a consumer's nightmare"
I purchased a loft in a brand new high-rise and the a/c unit is only 1.5 years old and already it has a defective compressor. I called and they basically said sorry the unit is only covered for 12 months. That is insane when some units are covered for up to 10 years! I know of owners that had defective units before they even closed on their properties. It's funny to read the comments from someone stating that this forum is just for complaints and not for happy consumers because if that consumer was experiencing problems of course they could also take the time to let other's know of the poor quality product being placed on the market by trane. Signed, Very dissatisfied consumer in Downtown Miami.