Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2019-07-20 Name: Eric Shen
Location: Oxford, MI

"Don't buy it"
Purchased the XR 4 ton unit in 2014, leaking Freon every year. This year 2019, one HVAC company finally found out the leak in the condenser coil. Even though it is still under the 5-year warranty, it will cost $2400 to replace that part. Called Trane, the rep sounds like a cold ice, not interested in solving the problem. The warranty is a joke. What's funny is all these HVAC companies kept saying Trane has good quality, and they don't believe the leak is in the unit. That's why it took them 5 years to find out. Based on the reviews on this website and my own experience, that's definitely not the case. If I can't get what I paid for, I would rather spend the money on something else.

Date created: 2019-06-05 Name: K. Kroas
Location: Mesa, AZ

"Do Not buy a Trane A/C"
Trane, owned by Ingersoll Rand, has the worst customer service and non-enforceable warranty in existence. First of all, they do not inform the customer that they personally are required to register the a/c unit within 60 days of installation. No paperwork with this verbiage was provided with the sale. Their “certified and authorized” dealer, us Air & Home Energy, that is listed on Trane’s website, told me that they would register the unit for me. Installed in 4/2018. Phoned Trane in 8/2018 for an awful sewer smell inside my house b/c of lack of drainage from the unit was smelling up interior of my house. Trane could have informed me at that time about the 10-year warranty registration, but did not. Now I am stuck with a 5-year warranty. Used unit for only 5 months and already have major problems to the tune of $1,000 in repairs! Trane’s negligence and bogus “certified and authorized” dealership designation screwed me over big time. Try calling Trane? Expect at least a 45-60 minute wait on hold. And don’t bother to contact them via email on their website. They don’t even acknowledge those emails. Their customer service stinks. They even excessively charge you to ship covered warranty parts when you could easily pick them up in a neighboring city for free. Money-grabbers! I paid close to $10,000 for a 2-stage cooling and 1-stage heating unit with accompanying thermostat, including a Preventive Maintenance Agreement and Labor Agreement for $2,500 extra. The 2nd stage cooling immediately goes to heating feature, just what I need in 100+ degree temperatures in Phoenix. Trane will do everything they can to weasel their way out of paying for warranty parts. Want to “stop a Trane” as advertised? Just turn on their thermostat! Piece of junk! Wish I could rate them a zero. There is no customer service at this company. No apologies for their mistakes either. I thought I was purchasing a unit with a 10-year parts warranty, 10-year maintenance warranty, and 10-year labor warranty, and I am left empty-handed with a piece of garbage that needed repairs within 3 months of installation. I was hoodwinked! Whatever you do, do not even consider buying a Trane!
Date created: 2019-06-04 Name: Terri Gollinger
Location: Hilton Head, SC

"Labor NOT included in warranty."
We installed the higher end Trane unit for a condo in South Carolina due to the heat and humidity. About 18 months later, we had to replace the coil. To add insult to injury, the technician did the 6-month inspection of the unit 2 days before the coil went completely bad and did not see the refrigerant was basically gone at that point. As others have stated, dealers do not stock parts, they have to get them from warehouses that may not be located near the dealer. This was only the coil, something that should be readily available. The cost was astronomical--even though under warranty, the labor cost was basically 10% of the original purchase price of the unit. I will never purchase a Trane unit again.
Date created: 2019-05-28 Name: Robert Eroh
Location: Pennsylvania

"Seized air handler motor already???"
After less than 2 years with this new air conditioner and air handler, the motor seizes on the air handler, now called Energy Tech and they did come in a few hours. Diagnostic charge of $139 to tell me yes there is something wrong the motor in the air handler has seized. Now have to wait till they get the motor hopefully a new motor not a refurbished. The parts are still under warranty but I'm sure the installation along with that diagnostic charge will make up for that. And now is this something I'll have to deal with every year and a half? This will cost me a fortune to tell me yes something is wrong and you have to pay installation.
Date created: 2019-01-24 Name: Todd Taylor
Location: Arizona

"Bad Customer Service"
I am done dealing with Trane. Turns out "Nothing can stop a Trane" except for bad customer service. Purchased a Packaged Rooftop HVAC Unit about a year ago. It suddenly stopped working. Inspection showed the fan shroud had not been installed correctly at the factory (missing a rivet) and in time it drops down, caught the fan and ripped it from the remaining anchors. Fan & motor also damaged. Contact my installer who informed me that the shroud, fan & motor would be covered but not labor ($480) & the top cover (all bent up) because it is "not a functional part of the unit (ignoring the fact it holds the fan assembly & shroud. So, add $800 to the cost of the unit. I contacted Trane myself & escalate the issue. They did not care, simply quoting the warranty. I gave up, did my best to bend the top back into place, bought a rivet gun, and fixed it myself in about two hours. This is the 4th Trane I have purchased in my remodel business. It is the last. Plenty of other options . . . .
Date created: 2019-01-19 Name: J Smith
Location: Florida

"Trane Not What it Used to Be"
Trane used to be a first class company & manufacturer. But, now, as part of a big industrial conglomerate (Ingersoll Rand and its subsidiary, American Standard), it has fast become just another a/c vendor. I have 6 units in home & rental properties. I have just lost compressors at 5 and 8 years even though they have 10 yr. Warranties. Labor & freon recharge are not covered by the warranties and equal up to $2,000 per event. Adding insult to injury, even though these are "current" compressors, Trane now mostly regionalizes their parts warehouses (even though they have a district office in my home town) and ships only by scheduled truck deliveries so you can wait up to 2 weeks to get your unit fixed for a "routine" problem. My dealer says this happens all the time. Called Trane & they could care less even though it was the peak of the summer. For about $400 extra, they say you can get your parts "expedited." What's the point of buying a national brand if parts are so hard to come by for current production models. Trane dealers say this is a common occurrence & they are powerless to get better service from Trane. Further, they admit Trane quality has gone way down from years past & may now be on par with Carrier & others. Even the circuit boards for the controls and capacitors are of lower quality. If one of these fails, you usually have to replace the whole "module" for up to $1,000 a pop. One Trane certified tech told me things are so bad now, that he tells buyers of new units he will be back to repair something on average within 4 years of purchase. So, why pay for the name? Trane is living on its past reputation more than anything else. This is the real reason "buy American" doesn't mean anything anymore.
Date created: 2018-11-19 Name: Jon Hopkins
Location: TX

"Worst AC Ever!!!!"
Does not cool at all. A brand new unit, 5 ton and it never shuts off. It cannot keep up with the heat outside. The worst unit I have ever had. Avoid at all costs...
Date created: 2018-08-24 Name: a melo
Location: Canada

"Evaporator leak, poor customer service"
Used my a/c for 3 months for 3 years (live in Northern Canada) and the evaporator leaked on the 4th year. Tried to get customer service to go good for the parts. Installer said his hands were tied dealing with his supplier. Went through a bunch of hoops, had to get it done. They told me to submit the bill, which I did. Then they told me, too bad we are sorry for your bad experience with our product. This is my third Trane system and for sure the last.
Date created: 2018-08-14 Name: Jeffrey McDowell
Location: Texas

"Excellent a.c. unit"
Recently had A complete new A.C. heater system replaced and very happy with it. It was 103 degrees and the unit had the indoor temp at 69 with the thermostat set at 72. Cooling house on hot days in Texas with no problems.
Date created: 2018-08-14 Name: J Barnat
Location: Tulsa, OK

"Look Elsewhere"
I had this unit installed in a new home in 2005. The compressor failed in 2013. The part was replaced. In 2017, the compressor was recommended for replacement because the compressor was pulling max amps. Now, in 2018, the compressor failed again and it's out of warranty. Yes, I had the unit serviced every year. No, I will not buy another.
1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>