Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2019-01-24 Name: Todd Taylor
Location: Arizona

"Bad Customer Service"
I am done dealing with Trane. Turns out "Nothing can stop a Trane" except for bad customer service. Purchased a Packaged Rooftop HVAC Unit about a year ago. It suddenly stopped working. Inspection showed the fan shroud had not been installed correctly at the factory (missing a rivet) and in time it drops down, caught the fan and ripped it from the remaining anchors. Fan & motor also damaged. Contact my installer who informed me that the shroud, fan & motor would be covered but not labor ($480) & the top cover (all bent up) because it is "not a functional part of the unit (ignoring the fact it holds the fan assembly & shroud. So, add $800 to the cost of the unit. I contacted Trane myself & escalate the issue. They did not care, simply quoting the warranty. I gave up, did my best to bend the top back into place, bought a rivet gun, and fixed it myself in about two hours. This is the 4th Trane I have purchased in my remodel business. It is the last. Plenty of other options . . . .

Date created: 2019-01-19 Name: J Smith
Location: Florida

"Trane Not What it Used to Be"
Trane used to be a first class company & manufacturer. But, now, as part of a big industrial conglomerate (Ingersoll Rand and its subsidiary, American Standard), it has fast become just another a/c vendor. I have 6 units in home & rental properties. I have just lost compressors at 5 and 8 years even though they have 10 yr. Warranties. Labor & freon recharge are not covered by the warranties and equal up to $2,000 per event. Adding insult to injury, even though these are "current" compressors, Trane now mostly regionalizes their parts warehouses (even though they have a district office in my home town) and ships only by scheduled truck deliveries so you can wait up to 2 weeks to get your unit fixed for a "routine" problem. My dealer says this happens all the time. Called Trane & they could care less even though it was the peak of the summer. For about $400 extra, they say you can get your parts "expedited." What's the point of buying a national brand if parts are so hard to come by for current production models. Trane dealers say this is a common occurrence & they are powerless to get better service from Trane. Further, they admit Trane quality has gone way down from years past & may now be on par with Carrier & others. Even the circuit boards for the controls and capacitors are of lower quality. If one of these fails, you usually have to replace the whole "module" for up to $1,000 a pop. One Trane certified tech told me things are so bad now, that he tells buyers of new units he will be back to repair something on average within 4 years of purchase. So, why pay for the name? Trane is living on its past reputation more than anything else. This is the real reason "buy American" doesn't mean anything anymore.
Date created: 2018-11-19 Name: Jon Hopkins
Location: TX

"Worst AC Ever!!!!"
Does not cool at all. A brand new unit, 5 ton and it never shuts off. It cannot keep up with the heat outside. The worst unit I have ever had. Avoid at all costs...
Date created: 2018-08-24 Name: a melo
Location: Canada

"Evaporator leak, poor customer service"
Used my a/c for 3 months for 3 years (live in Northern Canada) and the evaporator leaked on the 4th year. Tried to get customer service to go good for the parts. Installer said his hands were tied dealing with his supplier. Went through a bunch of hoops, had to get it done. They told me to submit the bill, which I did. Then they told me, too bad we are sorry for your bad experience with our product. This is my third Trane system and for sure the last.
Date created: 2018-08-14 Name: Jeffrey McDowell
Location: Texas

"Excellent a.c. unit"
Recently had A complete new A.C. heater system replaced and very happy with it. It was 103 degrees and the unit had the indoor temp at 69 with the thermostat set at 72. Cooling house on hot days in Texas with no problems.
Date created: 2018-08-14 Name: J Barnat
Location: Tulsa, OK

"Look Elsewhere"
I had this unit installed in a new home in 2005. The compressor failed in 2013. The part was replaced. In 2017, the compressor was recommended for replacement because the compressor was pulling max amps. Now, in 2018, the compressor failed again and it's out of warranty. Yes, I had the unit serviced every year. No, I will not buy another.
Date created: 2018-08-06 Name: Rick Carter
Location: Riceville, TN

"Never Trust Trane"
When we purchased this Trane unit, we were told it had a 10 year warranty. This year, the unit quit cooling. We called for repair and was told it had a bad weld, which caused all the Freon to leak out. Was told it had no warranty and to repair it cost us $750.00. The unit has been installed almost 5 years and cost almost $8000. Will never purchase another Trane. They lie and do not stand behind their products.
Date created: 2018-07-25 Name: Shirley Sabarre
Location: West Covina, CA

"Gone in 4 years"
I bought this Trane ac through Home Depot. It was okay until 4 weeks ago, with that scorching heat, when it broke down. It only lasted for 4 years. I called the company since it still has a warranty until 2024. They will only charge me the labor for ( $1400 +). Their tech came by and checked. He told us it was the compressor, which cost us $88.00 for diagnosis. They give us different dealers, which also charge almost the same. I read their q/a review, it says that Trane compressor or products last for 15 to 20 years. I thought I bought a lemon because it has been only 4 years and it broke down. I don't think I will recommend this product, nor buy the same product again.
Date created: 2018-07-21 Name: VChittum
Location: Tennessee

"Trane"
I've had a Trane for 3 or 4 years and it has been absolutely nothing but a problem! Just had it serviced in May, cost was $600 to fix. I know it's under warranty, but a tech was here less than 2 hours and that's how much I was charged and now, here it is July, and it has quit working again! And this is every summer since I have had it! Trane is a real pos!! Do not get a Trane!
Date created: 2018-07-15 Name: Tom
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Unbelievably Good Air Conditioner"
My Trane air conditioner is 26 or 27-years-old (too far back to remember exactly). I'v had it serviced only two or three times, and those were just for annual maintenance - cleaning, etc. It cools my 1,100 square foot house beautifully to this day. It's not super quiet outside, but I can't hear it inside. I want to replace it before it eventually quits (I'm on borrowed time), heat really gets to me in my old age. It was going to be another Trane, but now I don't know due to recent reviews.
1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>