Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-16 Name: Kim Barnes
Location: Heber Springs, AR

"Tempstar model PHF042K000E"
I purchased my unit less than two years ago. On June 10, 2010, it stopped working so I called a service repair man out. After checking the unit, he told us that he would call and see what the warranty covers and get the part needed. He called back to say that the part needed is the evaporator coil and that he has checked on getting the part and found out that there is not one available in the country until sometime late July 2010. I have called ICP and Tempstar at every number that I have found. I have been put off and told that a senior manager would be calling me. I have called more than 12 times and emailed every address available to me. Today is June 16, 2010 and I have not heard from anyone. I am disabled and have a husband and children living with me. We stayed in a hotel for the first three nights in hopes that it would be repaired soon since it is less than two years old and still under the company, no hassle warranty. We are staying in our house now because we can no longer afford to stay in a hotel. It is 80-90 degrees in here at all times. How would consumers like to hear my story when they are deciding what brand of unit to purchase? I bet it would not be an ICP brand. Feel free to contact me day or night with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your time. Kim Barnes Heber Springs, AR 501-206-5535 [email protected]

Date created: 2010-06-11 Name: T. W.

"WOW"
I'm just now toying with the idea of replacing the unit solely to improve efficiency. I have two units and both have been stellar in their performance for many years.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: John T. Wylie

"Black and white"
Replaced old black and white that was 15 years old. No problems and working fine. Getting ready to retire and had pgad modle installed. Under warranty one relay, one condenser motor, one capacitor, one circuit board replaced and now with 105 heat. Circuit board has expired again and no parts in stock. Don't think I would buy Tempstar again. On a positive note, Tempstar did send me a rebate of 300 dollars.

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: C. Kelly

"Cindy K"
We have had nothing but problems since we bought this unit. First the condenser went out. Now, the condenser fan motor has stopped working for the 3rd time. We have replaced the condenser fan motor twice. We were also told we had a freon leak. I am extremely dissatisfied with this inferior product! My husband wants to buy the condenser motor and replace it himself because the part alone cost between $272-$290.

Date created: 2010-05-10 Name: A.D. Adams

"31-year-old Tempstar"
Cannot say enough good about this unit. It is cold as ice and still runs like a champ. The only repair ever done to it is a bad contactor, but that is the most common failure in nearly all brands. As with any electro-mechanical consumer item, manufacturers produce several grades per unit. For example, "contractor grade" or usually low grade A/C unit, then mid-grade and lastly, top of the line quality. Few contractors will spend the dollars to put high-grade units on spec homes, however, their own homes will usually have the top quality on their own home. Go figure. How do I know this?.... I am a contractor!

Date created: 2010-05-08 Name: Vince

"Prett good luck"
We have a builder Grade Tempstar (11 seer). In 10 years, the only issues we've had have been a compressor was replaced under warranty and a capacitor blew once. We have not maintained it well, so I would say it has performed well.

Date created: 2010-05-07 Name: l.A.M.

"Lori"
This unit has needed nothing, but the tune-up. I am currently replacing it only because we want a better seer rating. I will only buy Tempstar because of the outstanding performance it has given me "problem free for 8 years".

Date created: 2010-04-27 Name: Ray Anding

"President Ray Anding Const. Inc"
I had a sub-contractor furnish and install 36 n9mp2 units less than 6 months ago. The local supplier will not warranty the units. The local supplier is ACR Supply in West Monroe. Louisiana. I can't find a # to Tempstar to call and talk to someone.

Date created: 2010-04-16 Name: A. Paige

This unit was placed in the home by the builders Mercedes home. Closed in July 2003, had to have the compressor replaced in Jan 2004. Then in winter of 2007, compressor had to be replaced again. Summer of 2007, Freeon kept leaking only to find the the coils had a leak, and get this it was under warranty, but when the company was called to schedule an appointment they had filed bk and therefore no one replaced them. There have been other problems such as the condensor going bad twice. Even Tempstar does not stand by their product. My advice to anyone buy Trane or Carrier.

Date created: 2010-04-09 Name: John Kaufman

"Kaufman"
This is year six and we have had not one problem. Our installers were excellent and our utility cost for A/C have been lowered, as the rep told us it would be. Normally, we don't have time to write reviews, but our son is in the process of installing a 14 seer Tempstar in his home and we decided to check out the reviews.