Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-07-18 Name: Mark Kleckler
Location: Monroe, WI

"Too many breakdowns"
Living on a fixed income since retirement, this unit is way too costly. Called service man a total of 9 times since buying it. This isn't the his fault, just the fault of the manufacturer. Glad our service man works with us on a fair price of materials used with very little charge for his labor. Our freon leaks out at least every year. We only use it for 5 months a year, so it should last longer than it is. Our warranty hasn't been any help either. We can't keep fixing it indefinitely. Somehow we will have to buy a different unit other than this brand. We are also concerned with the amount of freon that is leaking into the air and area around the house. We can't imagine that it's safe or enviromentally friendly. We will do a large amount of research into the company and customer reviews before buying another unit so we don't end up in the same boat, but only with a different name and much dissatisfaction.

Date created: 2011-07-12 Name: D. Smith
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Roof Mounted AC / Furnace Gas Pack"
My 5 ton roof mounted gas pack (electric A/C and natural gas furnace) was installed new in 1996. After 12 years of near flawless performance, the compressor finally gave out. Circuit board has to be replaced in 2009. Unit again ran fine until 2011, when condenser fan motor expired. Overall this has been a very good unit, especially considering we are located in Phoenix, Arizona where daytime temperatures routinely exceed 105 degrees from mid-May through end of September.

Date created: 2011-03-31 Name: M.Bucco
Location: Central Florida

"I definitely made the right choice!!!"
I just had my 6 year old 3 ton rheem replaced with a New T model Tempstar Complete system 16seer air conditioner in May of last year and what a difference on my electric bill-It is much much quieter than my old Rheem -And I got a 10year free replacement warranty to boot-I didnt know that Tempstar and Carrier are made by the same company- . My neighbors are amazed how quiet the outside unit is.Before they used to complain about it I highly recommend TEMPSTAR to anyone!!

Date created: 2011-02-08 Name: ANNE
Location: florida

"Go tempstar"
I REPLACED MY 12 YEAR OLD TEMPSTAR UNIT ,I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I WAS LOOKING FOR ENERGY SAVINGS.I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.TEMPSTAR HAS DONE ALL I WAS TOLD IT WOULD. NEVER HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY OLD ONE MADE ME DECIDE TEMPSTAR AGAIN.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Niccole L.
Location: Sarasota, Fl.

"A single woman"
Being a single woman it is scary when every contractor recommends a different brand and the prices are hundreds,thousand dollars apart. Each gives a brochure stating their system is the best. The more I got the more confused I became. I chose Tempstar because the price was affordable, the warranty was equal to the best and I believed in the company installing it to be honest. Since intallation in August of 2008 I have had zero problems and my electric bills have dropped 20% over what they were before. It is quiet ,right outside my bedroom window and my neighbor has just installed a Tempstar after seeing how satisfed I am. It is true that the correct installation is everything as this is not an out of the box, turn it on product. I am sure I will have years of faithful service from this product and will be cool for a long time.

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: George
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

"Air Conditioning Installation"
I think your installers and repair man are taking you guys with the issues to the cleaners. If you research enough about air conditioning units you'll find that most of them have the same components inside regardless of brand, most of these units are actually manufactured by the same parent companies. If your system is failing prematurely it more than likely has to do with the initial installation, air conditioning systems are pretty forgiving on initial installation so they will work but by not installing it properly you will definitely shorten the life expectancy of the system. Find the right installer as these are custom installations, it's not like buying a refrigerator and plugging it in. The system really relays on the installer to install correctly.

Date created: 2010-09-11 Name: R. Lebkowsky
Location: McGregor, Texas

"8 Years of Trouble"
8 years ago I had a high efficiency Tempstar unit installed. Had to have it charged every year for 3 years while they could not find the leak. They replaced the A coil/blower unit and it still leaked until the compressor went out 3 years ago. Now I'm sitting here with another blown compressor. Bought 10 years of warranty and was told thatthe warranty company went bankrupt. I don't doubt it if they covered nothing but Tempstar. All I can say is what a piece of JUNK!

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Ramon

"Getting a new Tempstar today"
Today, I'm replacing a 10 year old Tempstar with a new one using r410 refrigerant. My unit never gave me any issues until recently, when the coil was leaking and I decided to replace it rather than repair it. Beware! For some reason, my installer was recommending Goodman over Tempstar because he told me it was the best on the market, which does not agree with the Goodman reviews. The reason I think because it is the cheapest and the margin is higher plus guarantees work for repairmen out there when the Goodman goes bad. Beware!

Date created: 2010-07-07 Name: Mr. Johnny Giles Jr.

"customer for 20 years with 2 units"
2 Tempstar units were installed from day 1, year 1991, inside a 2 story home. No trouble occurred until the 19th year! 1st unit, inside upstairs attic, only problem needed a new thermostat and nothing else. Tech serviced and basically wear and tear. 2nd unit in downstairs basement, and all outside equipment which is exposed to weather had to be replaced about 5 years ago by an independent contractor, which now is very apparent, did a lousy installation job! The Tempstar fan had gone out and he promised me that he could replace it with a better unit. I'm no expert, but you are right! It's not the Tempstar equipment but the sorry installing that's going on! Now, my inside central air unit connections in the basement are leaking very badly and the pipe going to the outside unit is freezing up at times causing water to drip everywhere! And I had called this independent contractor back on previous occasions to recheck the system and he claimed that he could find nothing wrong. It's not the system, but incompetent installations! I will call someone else to repair and not the same clown from the circus.......lol

Date created: 2010-06-24 Name: Darius

"They don't make them as they used to"
My old Tempstar finally gave me a problem with the condenser motor a year ago, that is 20 years after install. However, the lousy new motor I bought and replaced the old one with just broke again. So in my opinion, it is not Tempstar. It is the poor craftsmanship of the new junk they sell these days. Probably all made in China anyway. So as I stated before, "they don't make them as they used to". I just wanted to share this with all of you. Thanks for letting me vent. I will fix it again and I am sure my Tempstar will give me many more years of service as it stands right now. 21 years is a very good record for a unit that was made to last unlike the new throw away junk to assure repeat business. Thanks for reading.