Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-08-26 Name: Joe Frank
Location: Matthews NC

"Expansion valves stink"
I trusted the name Tempstar/Carrier, but not anymore. I live in Charlotte North Carolina and summers are hot. My new ac system has failed 4 times in 1 year all due to the same issue. EXPANSION Valve STINKS. Each time my wife and I are living in swelter for over a week until a new valve arrives. Yesterday I came home from work and my wife was physically sick with her head in the freezer. I contacted our contractor and he assured me that the new (4th new valve) will arrive today and we will have ac by the weekend. Another miserable week. Thanks Tempstar. How long until this valve fails and we're in the freezer again?

Date created: 2011-08-16 Name: Aaron Harkness
Location: Olathe, Kansas

"Tempstar Installer"
Hello, I am a contractor, installer and dealer of Tempstar equipment here in Kansas City. I understand all of your concerns of poor quality equipment from Tempstar. However, I would like to point out some very important things about Tempstar. 1. Manufactured by the same company that owns Carrier. 2. Are not as picky as to who they sell to as Carrier is (It's a red headed step child brand) and there in-lies the rub. Poor quality installs. For contractors like me, it's great equipment that I can install at a great price! For other contractors who are the "take the money and run" types... It's a dream. Those guys are ruining it for guys like me. They make it hard to sell Tempstar. I can't buy Lennox or Carrier at a dealer rate because I don't have a store front. I'm an Iraq/Afghanistan war veteran. I do things honestly. I do good work. I do it the right way. 3. Research the Installer! Get references! I have over 100 Tempstar customers in this area who would say nothing but good things about my work and the equipment I sell. Thanks, Aaron Harkness Sensible Heating and Cooling www.sensibleheatingandcooling.com [email protected]

Date created: 2011-07-30 Name: D. Soper
Location: Lexington, SC

"Condenser Coil Leaks"
I have had the condenser coil replaced 4 times due to leaks! Everything else in the system has been good, but their condenser coils are horrible!

Date created: 2011-07-18 Name: Mark Kleckler
Location: Monroe, WI

"Too many breakdowns"
Living on a fixed income since retirement, this unit is way too costly. Called service man a total of 9 times since buying it. This isn't the his fault, just the fault of the manufacturer. Glad our service man works with us on a fair price of materials used with very little charge for his labor. Our freon leaks out at least every year. We only use it for 5 months a year, so it should last longer than it is. Our warranty hasn't been any help either. We can't keep fixing it indefinitely. Somehow we will have to buy a different unit other than this brand. We are also concerned with the amount of freon that is leaking into the air and area around the house. We can't imagine that it's safe or enviromentally friendly. We will do a large amount of research into the company and customer reviews before buying another unit so we don't end up in the same boat, but only with a different name and much dissatisfaction.

Date created: 2011-07-12 Name: D. Smith
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Roof Mounted AC / Furnace Gas Pack"
My 5 ton roof mounted gas pack (electric A/C and natural gas furnace) was installed new in 1996. After 12 years of near flawless performance, the compressor finally gave out. Circuit board has to be replaced in 2009. Unit again ran fine until 2011, when condenser fan motor expired. Overall this has been a very good unit, especially considering we are located in Phoenix, Arizona where daytime temperatures routinely exceed 105 degrees from mid-May through end of September.

Date created: 2011-03-31 Name: M.Bucco
Location: Central Florida

"I definitely made the right choice!!!"
I just had my 6 year old 3 ton rheem replaced with a New T model Tempstar Complete system 16seer air conditioner in May of last year and what a difference on my electric bill-It is much much quieter than my old Rheem -And I got a 10year free replacement warranty to boot-I didnt know that Tempstar and Carrier are made by the same company- . My neighbors are amazed how quiet the outside unit is.Before they used to complain about it I highly recommend TEMPSTAR to anyone!!

Date created: 2011-02-08 Name: ANNE
Location: florida

"Go tempstar"
I REPLACED MY 12 YEAR OLD TEMPSTAR UNIT ,I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I WAS LOOKING FOR ENERGY SAVINGS.I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.TEMPSTAR HAS DONE ALL I WAS TOLD IT WOULD. NEVER HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY OLD ONE MADE ME DECIDE TEMPSTAR AGAIN.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Niccole L.
Location: Sarasota, Fl.

"A single woman"
Being a single woman it is scary when every contractor recommends a different brand and the prices are hundreds,thousand dollars apart. Each gives a brochure stating their system is the best. The more I got the more confused I became. I chose Tempstar because the price was affordable, the warranty was equal to the best and I believed in the company installing it to be honest. Since intallation in August of 2008 I have had zero problems and my electric bills have dropped 20% over what they were before. It is quiet ,right outside my bedroom window and my neighbor has just installed a Tempstar after seeing how satisfed I am. It is true that the correct installation is everything as this is not an out of the box, turn it on product. I am sure I will have years of faithful service from this product and will be cool for a long time.

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: George
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

"Air Conditioning Installation"
I think your installers and repair man are taking you guys with the issues to the cleaners. If you research enough about air conditioning units you'll find that most of them have the same components inside regardless of brand, most of these units are actually manufactured by the same parent companies. If your system is failing prematurely it more than likely has to do with the initial installation, air conditioning systems are pretty forgiving on initial installation so they will work but by not installing it properly you will definitely shorten the life expectancy of the system. Find the right installer as these are custom installations, it's not like buying a refrigerator and plugging it in. The system really relays on the installer to install correctly.

Date created: 2010-09-11 Name: R. Lebkowsky
Location: McGregor, Texas

"8 Years of Trouble"
8 years ago I had a high efficiency Tempstar unit installed. Had to have it charged every year for 3 years while they could not find the leak. They replaced the A coil/blower unit and it still leaked until the compressor went out 3 years ago. Now I'm sitting here with another blown compressor. Bought 10 years of warranty and was told thatthe warranty company went bankrupt. I don't doubt it if they covered nothing but Tempstar. All I can say is what a piece of JUNK!