Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-05-16 Name: C. Sule
Location: New Orleans, LA

"5 Ton 3-Phase Tempstar"
I had a 3-phase tempstar 5 ton unit for 15+ years. It ran well with no issues and efficiently. It was a little noisy by current standards but not overly so. The pressure switch mechanism that controlled the fan was a little strange. The fan would not come one for a while until the pressure built up. The colder the ambient temperature, the longer the wait. It was pretty much instant during the hot Louisiana summer months. The only issue I had was a freon leak right at the compressor out nipple and that didn't happen until after 13 years of use. It was easily fixed by replacing the part that was still available. Not bad for an economy priced model.

Date created: 2012-05-01 Name: Tom Donaldson
Location: Peach Bottom, pa.

"Installer Contractor"
Ok I have read your reviews and the sounds of it is the installing contractor may have some issues with his installation. I have been installing the Tempstar brand for about 5 yrs give or take and my customers are very impressed with there utility bills after the installations. There warranty is the best I have found as a contractor and there willing to assist the installing contractor is the best, I can tell you that as the installing contractor. The quality and care of the installation is the biggest factor of any brand installed. The contractor is the biggest evil of the reviews I have read. a good contractor can make one of the least efficient units and make it run and perform at a good installation. But a sloppy or poor installation can cause a lot of problems to the consumer. So check you local contaminator ans see if others are experiencing similar problem for the contractor. Ask around the biggest company may not always be the best choice. I am small contractor and worked for larger companies and they send there tech's to 1 or 2 day courses and put them out to the world with no hands on experience and see what you get, Problems after hassles and excuses that the equipment is no good. I am not saying all contractors are bad but shop around talk to your neighbor see who really cares about there customer and you may find a good contractor. Here at my family run company we care about our customers and have built a good understanding and trust with our customers, You can find good contractors out there!!!

Date created: 2012-02-19 Name: Ed H.
Location: Buffalo, NY

"It's all in the installation, period."
I will agree with all who say the problem is not the equipment, but the installation. I was fortunate to have known a neighbor during my youth who has been installing heating and cooling units under his own company. Not only has there always been a relationship for 30 years or some sort, his practice and ethics are not to make money, but to make people happy. He achieves this by taking pride in his work and builds his profit not by half-assing jobs to secure himself "service calls", but rather by word-of- mouth due to professional done-right-the-first-time installations. My installer covered with me (while I assisted in fetching tools and supplies) the importance of the homeowners responsibilities to also maintain their equipment...such as changing filters REGULARLY, winterizing outdoor units, cleaning out dust in the motor and fan areas, taping and sealing air ducts and panel joints, adding foam to panels to seal vacuums, making sure the outflow and intakes are clean and protected from birds, bugs, debris, etc. "If it blows, it goes" he said about the outdoor condensing unit for the air conditioning unit. keeping proper clearance. Eliminating flowers, branches and anything else which could play into a negative equation. Over the course of 3 days with removing an ancient Lennox dinosaur furnace and began installing our new Tempstar gas furnace and central air, I listened to endless stories of service calls he receives to either correct or completely install a new units to rid of the problems caused by "the cheapest deal" contractor people end up going with. I listened to stories of having to completely remove and throw out $20000 units that people purchased due to improper installations of pressurizing condensers, wrong coils, un-leveled units, etc. Stories of people spending big bucks for the Luxaire's, Lennox's, Colemans, etc and saying they are crap units because they broke after 1 or so years. A low end budget model can outperform the cream of the crops when it;s installed correctly and owners maintain proper care. Stories of people not changing filters, piling up laundry and storage all around the furnaces, letting weeds and trees grow around outdoor units. We all know the financial hardships that have come down on us over the last 5 or so years...with no immediate solution in sight...but to save money by choosing a contractor who can "do it for this price" only seems to add to the stress and financial squeeze in the home when multiple service calls have to be made time and time again. It's an investment that you are making and doing research through credential checks or word of mouth is probably more overlooked as a first step of buying and installing a unit than we know.

Date created: 2011-12-18 Name: Matt turner
Location: Sandusky, ohio

"Tempstar dealer"
I am also a dealer/installer and this all falls back on to the installer, I could install a goodman and make it run forever, lets be real, there are a lot of short cuts taken now a days by companies to pinch pennies. My family has put Tempstar next to our name for over 20 years and we have never been let down. The warranties are second to none and the quality of the unit is the same. When you pay for the name you will pay a lot: Trane, Carrier, Lennox, good luck finding a reasonable price for those parts and someone to put them in. Tempstar is the best hidden secret in the industry, period!

Date created: 2011-12-08 Name: Snell
Location: Jacksonville, Fl.

"Noisy Tempstar"
I read about 20 reviews of the Tempstar and I believe they were all written by one stupid person. All the good reviews, that is. My Tempstar is so loud, I believe the neighbors are going to complain. I can barely stand to hear it growling every few minutes. Never had that problem with any other AC/heating unit. I am not happy at all with the noise.

Date created: 2011-12-04 Name: Sue C
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Tempstar 5 ton split unit 16 seer ac"
Replaced our 13 year old Tempstar air conditioner (10 years is about all you can expect in the Phoenix 110-118 degree summers) with this new 16 seer 5 ton Tempstar split unit with gas furnace. This is model txa6 and keeps our 2500 square foot home comfortable even in the blazing summer heat. Our summer electric bills were about 20% lower than the previous summer. The unit is very quiet and the filters are way easier to change than in our previous air conditioner. I would recommend Tempstar and obviously did buy it again (and will do so in the future).

Date created: 2011-11-09 Name: J Miracle
Location: Tampa Fl.

"Help?"
Why does my Tempstar Smart Comfort 2200 now make a high Pitched sound? Very Annoying. Thanks in Advance for any help you can give.

Date created: 2011-10-03 Name: John Benedict
Location: PA

"Attention consumers"
I have sold Tempstar for years. For many years before I was an installer and service technician. For those of you complaining about refrigerant leaks that you must keep continuing to have a technician come out and re-charge, I have a question. Why doesn't he fix the leak? How do you know the leak isn't one of his solder joints? If it's in the fin pack of a coil why doesn't he take out his electronic leak detector (haha most low grade technician's don't own one, they're too cheap) and find the leak, report it to their distributor, and get a new coil under warranty? Tempstar has excellent warranties and they stand behind their products. There have been some very small legitimate service issues over the years, every manufacturer has them, but a good technician will find it and fix it and /or replace it.

Date created: 2011-09-21 Name: M.Vasho
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL

"TempStar"
This is the best Tempstar TCH260AKC1 a/c unit I have ever had. Never had anything but a Trane, the Trane broke in less than 8 years, cost me tons of money to fix over those 8 years, it was loud, it would not work after winter. Never heard of a TempStar but will never will forget it now. Five years and not a problem. Quite, very good blower, you do have to change the air handler to match the a/c unit however the entire thing was less than a Trane unit alone. Including adding a new whole house filter and a uv light. Definitely would buy from this company again hope I don't have to.

Date created: 2011-08-31 Name: Joshua Angiel
Location: Southern California

"Tempstar Installer"
I am in agreeance with the other Tempstar Installer review on here 150%. I am also a Tempstar Dealer here in Southern California. I have been installing Tempstar for about 10 years now and have had 1 call back. I stand by this product and even brand my trucks with the Tempstar logo. This product is reliable, quiet, reasonably priced (for the contractor and the homeowner). Look lets face it all falls on the installer. These other reviews that I read on here (mainly the dissatisfied ones)to me its funny how most of them have a leak issue!!! Can I just say someones getting ripped off!!!! Once again, it falls on the installer. I Know... I Know... All ac Guys say there equipment is the best Tempstar, Carrier, Ruud, Rheem, Day & Night.... Its all the same.... All your paying for is the name!!! And in some cases like Carrier...It's an expensive name. Look bottom line is Don't Brand bash when your installer is ripping you off!!! Do your research and get more than one opinion. Hire the honest guy. I Am one of them and hate guys that give us honest guys a bad reputation.