Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-01-18 Name: F. Gogonis
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

""CONTRACTOR INSTALLER""
I've been reading many reviews for all major a/c systems and I have to say that it is clear that 90% of problems and hassles are caused by human error. That's right, the installers did not follow proper installation procedures. I've seen a couple of reviews with leaky coils on the Tempstar units and unfortunately that is something I hope the manufacturer will get under control, however they offer this great little warranty known as the no-hassle warranty which essentially gives you (the consumer) the option to replace the entire component rather then just the part. That warranty varies from 1 year to 7 years depending on the model. Best of all the manufacturer will offer the contractor a reimbursement for the labor therefore the consumer is not paying anything for labor costs. If a contractor sells you a unit that qualifies for the no-hassle warranty he is bound by that warranty and cannot charge you a fee for replacement. To sum it all up folks at the end of the day who you hire to install your heating/cooling system plays a bigger role on the life expectancy of the equipment rather the equipment itself. Quality contractors are few and far between but we are out there!!! Do your homework and get more than 2 estimates

Date created: 2013-01-14 Name: M gray
Location: chester sc

"Tempstar review"
8.5 years old and they recommend me buy a new one after $1500 in repair bills this year alone---needless to say I'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a new one- industry average is 10-15 years and this one reached 8. sorry piece of junk! And the contractor for it here in sc is beyond unprofessional- mad that I asked for my spring maintenance fee back since obviously that didn't help the longevity of this piece of junk. He told me to find a new ac repair person...........ha! Gladly
Date created: 2013-01-10 Name: Steve Clouthier
Location: Spring Hill Florida

"Tempstar is horrific"
I cannot believe that Carrier would be involved with TempStar products. It is the worst AC/heating unit available. In less than 12 months, I am on my 4th repair totaling now $2000.00 This is ridiculously shameful for this company to put out a product like this without helping end user with partial labor costs. Parts under warranty but will it break again in 3 months..probably. I am a single income home of 5 people, 3 of which are kids. one of them is autistic so Mom cannot have a job since she has to be available for her autistic son. I am not looking for a handout but more of negoitiated labor fees reduced. However ICP/tempstar was unmoved and didnt care that their product has broken down so much. This unit isnt even 7 years old yet. Again shame on Tempstar & Carrier.
Date created: 2012-08-25 Name: B B
Location: Overland Park, KS

"Coil defective -- mfr flaw"
Less than 3 years with my new TempStar ac, the coil is bad. The company we purchased this through no longer sells TempStar due to the huge number of failures. The part only is under warranty, but installation will still cost nearly $1000 and labor is not covered. This is after a $300 repair bill to fill it up with freon. Carrier may replace the part, but is doing nothing about covering labor in replacing their defective coil.
Date created: 2012-08-08 Name: Kool Dude !
Location: Florida

"Lucky One - FL"
Installed for 11+ years - had to replace starting cap twice ($20-40), once for a squirrel getting up inside the unit and shorting it out for a quick death). Other than that, it has cooled fine over the 11 years. Last couple of years it has made a whistling noise in the cooler months when heat comes on, haven't got to the bottom of that yet but it still works fine, ac guy can't pinpoint the noise either and my neighbors on that side of the house don't like me so it's not an issue for me at this time :-)
Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Stinky Butt
Location: Conneciticut

"Very Satisfied"
Had it installed about 5 years ago. So far so good (knock on wood). We went with the technology not the brand name per se. Consumer Reports recommended 'scroller type of compressor' (can't recall the exact terminology) but that's what we did. So far, other than cleaning the filter in the air handler (attic) and covering the outside unit with tarp in the fall/winter to protect from the elements, my Tempstar has been good to me.
Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Greg fuher
Location: Minnesota

"AC and Furnace broke in less than 5 years"
Ac had to be replaced after 6 years, the furnace has required repair. These products are not worth any price.
Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: R Fear
Location: Belle Vernon,Pa

"Compressor"
I had trouble within 2 yrs of purchase When compressor shuts off it bangs I guess the contractor doesn't want to fix it cause he says he can't hear it But I do and the neighbors do too. Been banging for 2 yrs now -- but it works. Still makes me mad.
Date created: 2012-07-08 Name: Melting
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"2 months old and useless"
We are in a brand new house (2 months), in the middle of a heat wave, and our tempstar unit has been broken for 3 weeks. Until now the service company (Del Monde - Cincinnati) has been coming to recharge the freon. Today the service man calls to tell me that he can no longer charge it up, that the leak is too big. oh! Why not fix the leak and take less than 3 weeks to do it! I would never, never recommend tempstar to anyone. Our neighbor's unit is also leaking (hers is a year old).
Date created: 2012-05-16 Name: C. Sule
Location: New Orleans, LA

"5 Ton 3-Phase Tempstar"
I had a 3-phase tempstar 5 ton unit for 15+ years. It ran well with no issues and efficiently. It was a little noisy by current standards but not overly so. The pressure switch mechanism that controlled the fan was a little strange. The fan would not come one for a while until the pressure built up. The colder the ambient temperature, the longer the wait. It was pretty much instant during the hot Louisiana summer months. The only issue I had was a freon leak right at the compressor out nipple and that didn't happen until after 13 years of use. It was easily fixed by replacing the part that was still available. Not bad for an economy priced model.