Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-01-10 Name: Steve Clouthier
Location: Spring Hill Florida

"Tempstar is horrific"
I cannot believe that Carrier would be involved with TempStar products. It is the worst AC/heating unit available. In less than 12 months, I am on my 4th repair totaling now $2000.00 This is ridiculously shameful for this company to put out a product like this without helping end user with partial labor costs. Parts under warranty but will it break again in 3 months..probably. I am a single income home of 5 people, 3 of which are kids. one of them is autistic so Mom cannot have a job since she has to be available for her autistic son. I am not looking for a handout but more of negoitiated labor fees reduced. However ICP/tempstar was unmoved and didnt care that their product has broken down so much. This unit isnt even 7 years old yet. Again shame on Tempstar & Carrier.

Date created: 2012-08-25 Name: B B
Location: Overland Park, KS

"Coil defective -- mfr flaw"
Less than 3 years with my new TempStar ac, the coil is bad. The company we purchased this through no longer sells TempStar due to the huge number of failures. The part only is under warranty, but installation will still cost nearly $1000 and labor is not covered. This is after a $300 repair bill to fill it up with freon. Carrier may replace the part, but is doing nothing about covering labor in replacing their defective coil.

Date created: 2012-08-08 Name: Kool Dude !
Location: Florida

"Lucky One - FL"
Installed for 11+ years - had to replace starting cap twice ($20-40), once for a squirrel getting up inside the unit and shorting it out for a quick death). Other than that, it has cooled fine over the 11 years. Last couple of years it has made a whistling noise in the cooler months when heat comes on, haven't got to the bottom of that yet but it still works fine, ac guy can't pinpoint the noise either and my neighbors on that side of the house don't like me so it's not an issue for me at this time :-)

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Stinky Butt
Location: Conneciticut

"Very Satisfied"
Had it installed about 5 years ago. So far so good (knock on wood). We went with the technology not the brand name per se. Consumer Reports recommended 'scroller type of compressor' (can't recall the exact terminology) but that's what we did. So far, other than cleaning the filter in the air handler (attic) and covering the outside unit with tarp in the fall/winter to protect from the elements, my Tempstar has been good to me.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Greg fuher
Location: Minnesota

"AC and Furnace broke in less than 5 years"
Ac had to be replaced after 6 years, the furnace has required repair. These products are not worth any price.

Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: R Fear
Location: Belle Vernon,Pa

"Compressor"
I had trouble within 2 yrs of purchase When compressor shuts off it bangs I guess the contractor doesn't want to fix it cause he says he can't hear it But I do and the neighbors do too. Been banging for 2 yrs now -- but it works. Still makes me mad.

Date created: 2012-07-08 Name: Melting
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"2 months old and useless"
We are in a brand new house (2 months), in the middle of a heat wave, and our tempstar unit has been broken for 3 weeks. Until now the service company (Del Monde - Cincinnati) has been coming to recharge the freon. Today the service man calls to tell me that he can no longer charge it up, that the leak is too big. oh! Why not fix the leak and take less than 3 weeks to do it! I would never, never recommend tempstar to anyone. Our neighbor's unit is also leaking (hers is a year old).

Date created: 2012-05-16 Name: C. Sule
Location: New Orleans, LA

"5 Ton 3-Phase Tempstar"
I had a 3-phase tempstar 5 ton unit for 15+ years. It ran well with no issues and efficiently. It was a little noisy by current standards but not overly so. The pressure switch mechanism that controlled the fan was a little strange. The fan would not come one for a while until the pressure built up. The colder the ambient temperature, the longer the wait. It was pretty much instant during the hot Louisiana summer months. The only issue I had was a freon leak right at the compressor out nipple and that didn't happen until after 13 years of use. It was easily fixed by replacing the part that was still available. Not bad for an economy priced model.

Date created: 2012-05-01 Name: Tom Donaldson
Location: Peach Bottom, pa.

"Installer Contractor"
Ok I have read your reviews and the sounds of it is the installing contractor may have some issues with his installation. I have been installing the Tempstar brand for about 5 yrs give or take and my customers are very impressed with there utility bills after the installations. There warranty is the best I have found as a contractor and there willing to assist the installing contractor is the best, I can tell you that as the installing contractor. The quality and care of the installation is the biggest factor of any brand installed. The contractor is the biggest evil of the reviews I have read. a good contractor can make one of the least efficient units and make it run and perform at a good installation. But a sloppy or poor installation can cause a lot of problems to the consumer. So check you local contaminator ans see if others are experiencing similar problem for the contractor. Ask around the biggest company may not always be the best choice. I am small contractor and worked for larger companies and they send there tech's to 1 or 2 day courses and put them out to the world with no hands on experience and see what you get, Problems after hassles and excuses that the equipment is no good. I am not saying all contractors are bad but shop around talk to your neighbor see who really cares about there customer and you may find a good contractor. Here at my family run company we care about our customers and have built a good understanding and trust with our customers, You can find good contractors out there!!!

Date created: 2012-02-19 Name: Ed H.
Location: Buffalo, NY

"It's all in the installation, period."
I will agree with all who say the problem is not the equipment, but the installation. I was fortunate to have known a neighbor during my youth who has been installing heating and cooling units under his own company. Not only has there always been a relationship for 30 years or some sort, his practice and ethics are not to make money, but to make people happy. He achieves this by taking pride in his work and builds his profit not by half-assing jobs to secure himself "service calls", but rather by word-of- mouth due to professional done-right-the-first-time installations. My installer covered with me (while I assisted in fetching tools and supplies) the importance of the homeowners responsibilities to also maintain their equipment...such as changing filters REGULARLY, winterizing outdoor units, cleaning out dust in the motor and fan areas, taping and sealing air ducts and panel joints, adding foam to panels to seal vacuums, making sure the outflow and intakes are clean and protected from birds, bugs, debris, etc. "If it blows, it goes" he said about the outdoor condensing unit for the air conditioning unit. keeping proper clearance. Eliminating flowers, branches and anything else which could play into a negative equation. Over the course of 3 days with removing an ancient Lennox dinosaur furnace and began installing our new Tempstar gas furnace and central air, I listened to endless stories of service calls he receives to either correct or completely install a new units to rid of the problems caused by "the cheapest deal" contractor people end up going with. I listened to stories of having to completely remove and throw out $20000 units that people purchased due to improper installations of pressurizing condensers, wrong coils, un-leveled units, etc. Stories of people spending big bucks for the Luxaire's, Lennox's, Colemans, etc and saying they are crap units because they broke after 1 or so years. A low end budget model can outperform the cream of the crops when it;s installed correctly and owners maintain proper care. Stories of people not changing filters, piling up laundry and storage all around the furnaces, letting weeds and trees grow around outdoor units. We all know the financial hardships that have come down on us over the last 5 or so years...with no immediate solution in sight...but to save money by choosing a contractor who can "do it for this price" only seems to add to the stress and financial squeeze in the home when multiple service calls have to be made time and time again. It's an investment that you are making and doing research through credential checks or word of mouth is probably more overlooked as a first step of buying and installing a unit than we know.