Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-07-21 Name: Jason
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"General performance"
I'm an HVAC contractor. I got on here to see what Tempstar 's customer reviews looked like, especially compared to other products. I was surprised to see some of the unsatisfactory reviews. My company has regularly used Tempstar products for 15 years. We consistently use it because we want to give our customers a product we know they will be happy with and one we know we will not have to go back and service in the coming years. Occasionally we'll have a unit here or there that is a lemon. But overall they out perform all others. We put in all brands based on a customer's request. So we see all different types of units and their quirks. Tempstar has the best record from our experience. Maybe the bad reviews are a bit of a statistical sampling flaw since those customers who have had bad experiences are most likely to post their review. Whereas satisfied customers are getting what they expected--a good performing product. So they don't feel a need to write a review. Just my thoughts. Hope this was helpful.

Date created: 2015-06-28 Name: Jose Fuentes
Location: Davidson, NC

"Control board and other problem"
I have had the unit for 6 years and every year I need to spend money to repair it. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Date created: 2015-04-22 Name: C. Barrett
Location: Memphis, TN

"Haven't had any problems"
I've had my Tempstar unit since 1986, and its now 2015. I've had one fan motor and capacitor change. Some Freon was added once. That's it! The only way I'm changing my unit is when it starts to leak or the condenser burns out. This has been a good unit. I had a very good installer also.

Date created: 2015-04-21 Name: Mike Jones
Location: GA

"Crappy AC unit"
It is 2015, and this unit is about 6 years old. The weather is starting to get warm and hot. Is the worst day ever. Get a different unit, people.

Date created: 2014-09-01 Name: Kathleen roberts
Location: Quarryville, PA

"We need help, Nightmare."
D. Richard and Kathleen Roberts Quarryville, PA 17566 Model # T4A32GKD serial # E140915761 : REPLACED with serial # E140915766 on 8/26/2014 Model# ENA4X30L17 serial# X141748959 : REPLACED with serial #X143054705 on 8/25/2014 Installed 8/7/2014 by Alger Oil Since installation these service calls have been performed: 8/7/2014 - Evening. Ed Wood sent because unit short cycling off, each time for 5 minutes, running constantly. Fooled with new thermostat. 8/9/2014 - 7:30 PM. Jeff AC not cooling, short cycling off each time for 5 minutes. Jeff added coolant, left. Air was very cold. Unit continued to run for 45 minutes without shutting off. Called, told to shut it off and someone would come out next day. 8/10/2014 - Serviced, no work order given. "Under warranty". Still short cycling off only 5 min. each time. Not cooling, like a fan running. Added, then backed out coolant. Worked on thermostat. 8/12/2014 - Still not cooling and running constantly. 8/13/2014 - Mr Spangler was supposed to replace thermostat, thinking it was reason for short cycling. 8/20/2014 - Called for service. Not cooling, not shutting off for the week. Told us that they were going to try to get a replacement coil. The A/C was not working right, not splitting. 8/21/2014 - He told me the part would be in Friday. When I asked what the part was, he told me the TXV valve had been broken when soldered on at the factory. 8/25/2014 - Here to replace the coil assembly. 8/26/2014 - All here to install new outdoor assembly. After doing this and fooling with newly installed indoor assembly, and the blower (changed the pulley), we're still not satisfied with air flow and temperature we are getting. AC ran all night with few breaks. Cycling 5 times per hour. Outdoor temperature dipped to 63 degrees, thermostat set and reading 78 degrees ovenight. 8/27/2014 - Thermostat set at 74. AC worked well and kept the house at that temperature, cycling off and on. 2:47PM unit came on. After running steady for 3 hours it kicked off for less then 5 minutes. At 5:40PM then on again, temperature in house quickly rose to 76 degrees. By 6PM we were finding air flow greatly diminished and air not to be cool. Called for service. 8/28/2014 - Called ICPUSA. Recapped the entire 3 week process and latest symptoms. Talked to Christine, Senior Level Representative. She said they would contact Alger Oil. Came to replace blower on unit. Replaced the blower, told me it "open some room up". Added coolant to unit outside. Cut off kitchen and 1 living room register to force air through rest of house. Mr Spangler told me that they originally thought the coil assembly was wrong, but found out that the outside compressor assembly was defective. Was looking for a different coil style (like a tent) for us because they noticed when they put their head over top of the coil there was not as much cold air as there was on the side of the coil. Evidently, the cabinet of furnace unit is different then newer ones. 8/29/2014 - Cooled fairly well and cycled off and on both blower and compressor until about 3:30 PM. As unit had to work harder, the compressor would turn off outside for 2 minutes, but blower did not and the usual click at thermostat didn't happen. Compressor makes a thumping/rumbling noise sometimes while running. Air coming out of vents when blower not cutting off with compressor is not as cool as when compressor and blower cycle together. 8/30/2014 - Cool cloudy day. Unit ran, blower and compressor, together. 8/31/2014 - After 10:45AM, blower never cut off when compressor did until once at 2:05PM and again at 8:28 PM. Unit outside makes the thumping/rumbling noise and also a noise similar to something being stuck in a rotating spoke, metallic clanking! Compressor is shutting off for exactly 2 minutes. Thermostat is set at 72 degrees but we feel it is not as cool as it should be. Unit seems to have a problem when the day heats up, or it may be the sun at its peak. The unit cycles on and off, as well as the blower, until it has to run hard to make the house comfortable. Then the compressor starts making noises and shutting off for 2 minutes while the blower runs non-stop. After 3 weeks of service, we need this problem corrected. The service people from Alger Oil seem as perplexed as we are. We are getting sick from the fact that nothing seems to help. We are not able to sleep and must not schedule anything else so that we are available for service calls. It is wrecking our lives. We feel we have been more than patient and would like to officially start a warranty claim so that we have not paid $3400.00 for just a fan, rather then an efficient AC unit! We anticipate some outlandish electric bill as well, adding to our distress!

Date created: 2014-06-22 Name: john stone
Location: columbia. sc

"Consumer"
Bad. Replaced "carburator" twice in 15 yrs. Freon leak. $200 to recharge. Tec said too old for maintenance contract. Also said running at 67 degrees would desyroy the unit (have done for 15 yrs). Also said it's "illegal" to run it at 67 degrees. Total junk a/c, and mentally challenged serviced tecs

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Tim Smart
Location: Lake Worth, FL

"JUNK!!!!"
As other reviewers have noted, I bought my unit in 2009 and have nothing but problems with this unit. I wonder if it wasn't produced in China. #1- The water pan is plastic and broke- $350 labor to repair. #2- The internal coil has leaked Freon twice and had to be replaced twice in 5 yrs.- Over $650 labor each time. They offer a 10/10/10 yr warranty for $1500? when you buy. Be prepared to shell out for it cuz it will be useful!!! Dont buy!!!

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Cool in Illinois
Location: Central Illinois

"Great So Far"
The unit is very quiet and does a great job. The most important thing seems to be the installer. Mine did a great job and went out of his way to make sure everything was done correctly including installing a new pad outside, all new gas lines, repositioning the new furnace instead of just putting it under the old duct work, new duct work throughout the installation, etc. I could have gotten it done for a lot cheaper but I kept reading here where the installation is more important than the equipment. I would buy the same brand again if that is what my installer recommended.

Date created: 2013-06-20 Name: r.w.

"Homeowner"
This unit replaced a Rheem which was 28 years old. The Tempstar is now in its 21 st year summer and has run problem free. It did not start up one summer but it was caused by ants in the contactor which I cleaned out myself (not a fault of the unit). Then one year lost freon,filter dryer sprung a leak,(not a fault of unit). Before every operating season I take it apart clean the coil, clean the leaves out and oil the motor bearings and thats it.

Date created: 2013-05-23 Name: Trei t
Location: Traverlers rest sc

"Completely Leaked All Freon in Two Yrs. Hole in Reverse Valve"
In two years a new unit leaked all freon out thru a hole that all the repair companies said had to have been there when it left the factory. Warranty under no circumstances cover any labor or freon even if the cause was the factory's fault! Warranty is a joke, the company is an even bigger joke! I have been on the phone with them for days! You can't talk to anyone in charge unless you do a write letter to a P.O. Box! I was hung up on because I was told they couldn't do anymore in the customer service number. The company said they would call the repair company that came out but they didn't called the installers who had no idea who looked at it. So I called back again and told them you aren't calling the right person but since you don't get to talk to anyone in charge, the person just takes down a note and the company does the same thing again! It's pointless to try and work with them. Don't buy their product it will be the biggest mistake.