Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Tim Smart
Location: Lake Worth, FL

"JUNK!!!!"
As other reviewers have noted, I bought my unit in 2009 and have nothing but problems with this unit. I wonder if it wasn't produced in China. #1- The water pan is plastic and broke- $350 labor to repair. #2- The internal coil has leaked Freon twice and had to be replaced twice in 5 yrs.- Over $650 labor each time. They offer a 10/10/10 yr warranty for $1500? when you buy. Be prepared to shell out for it cuz it will be useful!!! Dont buy!!!

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Cool in Illinois
Location: Central Illinois

"Great So Far"
The unit is very quiet and does a great job. The most important thing seems to be the installer. Mine did a great job and went out of his way to make sure everything was done correctly including installing a new pad outside, all new gas lines, repositioning the new furnace instead of just putting it under the old duct work, new duct work throughout the installation, etc. I could have gotten it done for a lot cheaper but I kept reading here where the installation is more important than the equipment. I would buy the same brand again if that is what my installer recommended.

Date created: 2013-06-20 Name: r.w.

"Homeowner"
This unit replaced a Rheem which was 28 years old. The Tempstar is now in its 21 st year summer and has run problem free. It did not start up one summer but it was caused by ants in the contactor which I cleaned out myself (not a fault of the unit). Then one year lost freon,filter dryer sprung a leak,(not a fault of unit). Before every operating season I take it apart clean the coil, clean the leaves out and oil the motor bearings and thats it.

Date created: 2013-05-23 Name: Trei t
Location: Traverlers rest sc

"Completely Leaked All Freon in Two Yrs. Hole in Reverse Valve"
In two years a new unit leaked all freon out thru a hole that all the repair companies said had to have been there when it left the factory. Warranty under no circumstances cover any labor or freon even if the cause was the factory's fault! Warranty is a joke, the company is an even bigger joke! I have been on the phone with them for days! You can't talk to anyone in charge unless you do a write letter to a P.O. Box! I was hung up on because I was told they couldn't do anymore in the customer service number. The company said they would call the repair company that came out but they didn't called the installers who had no idea who looked at it. So I called back again and told them you aren't calling the right person but since you don't get to talk to anyone in charge, the person just takes down a note and the company does the same thing again! It's pointless to try and work with them. Don't buy their product it will be the biggest mistake.

Date created: 2013-05-08 Name: Chris
Location: Albany

"Noisy Units!!!!"
To all the people complaining about your noisy units.. I for one want to tell you that I'm not the same one person who you think wrote all the positive reviews. Nope I'm the guy who worked for a big name awesome reputation company. 15 years ago, I started at $6.75 per hour at a big name company. One day, I learned how to solder. The next I was being sent to million dollar homes to install ac units. After 10 years of installing, I decided for the hell of it to take classes. I just want to let you know that over those 10 years not one single AC I installed was even a little correct! Not even close and this was the most expensive, most reputable company in the area! Big company pay their employees like shit! They don't care! Now owning my own company and just having me and 2 other guys. Shame on big companies! Big company. Guy who has an 8 to 4. Little guys.. Owner and helper who need to do it right and need to make a good name and cannot afford to come back! Your noise is not the unit. My guess is full of air, solder, dirt or who knows what. FYI, do your homework! I've put in tons of different name brands. Just compare the parts! News flash they are the same as the unit that cost double!

Date created: 2013-05-08 Name: Chris
Location: Albany

"Is it the Equipment or the Installer?"
Being a professional in the HVAC field I read these reviews and it makes me laugh! I recently worked at a big name company for 15 years. Let me tell ya people this big name company and just about 90% of other big name company's hire guys who don't know the first thing about heating, cooling. They don't know a thing! Over 10 years installing central air conditioning systems for this big name company. Though I knew it all. Hahahah turns out I didn't know anything myself! Now owning my own company and actually taking classes on the right way to install AC systems. Made me ask myself. Is it the equipment or is it the morons installing them? Guess what?! It's not the equipment! Take my word for it being one of those so called top installers from a big name company! I don't care what you buy chances are the equipment is fine or was, when it left the factory and the idiot that installed it was the one who broke it! If a company comes to your house and installs a unit and is leaving 2 hours later.. Welcome to the world of "this equipment is terrible". You were just the last victim of $10 an hour installer who doesn't know the first thing about air conditioning!

Date created: 2013-04-23 Name: lj
Location: east florida

"Long-life unit"
The previous owner installed an “ultra high efficiency” central ac in 1996; I moved in 1999. I never had a problem with the hot summer in Florida because the beaches are near! I estimated $120 per months to cool 2000 sq. ft. I’m shopping for a new one, only because I know 17 years is a long life in this environment. I m definitely giving TEMPSTAR a solid consideration based on this experience. I agree that installation has a huge part of the system.

Date created: 2013-01-25 Name: J. Malik
Location: Houston, TX

"Compressor AWFUL"
Died at less then four years old. Leaking freon, warranty a joke, had to pay almost $400 to recharge, leaked again within four days. The 10k btu Delonghi portable used air conditioner that I bought at an auction to cool the living room when this sad excuse of a compressor died is more reliable and of better, only paid $95 for it. Stay far away from this manufacturer. Buyer beware!

Date created: 2013-01-18 Name: F. Gogonis
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

""CONTRACTOR INSTALLER""
I've been reading many reviews for all major a/c systems and I have to say that it is clear that 90% of problems and hassles are caused by human error. That's right, the installers did not follow proper installation procedures. I've seen a couple of reviews with leaky coils on the Tempstar units and unfortunately that is something I hope the manufacturer will get under control, however they offer this great little warranty known as the no-hassle warranty which essentially gives you (the consumer) the option to replace the entire component rather then just the part. That warranty varies from 1 year to 7 years depending on the model. Best of all the manufacturer will offer the contractor a reimbursement for the labor therefore the consumer is not paying anything for labor costs. If a contractor sells you a unit that qualifies for the no-hassle warranty he is bound by that warranty and cannot charge you a fee for replacement. To sum it all up folks at the end of the day who you hire to install your heating/cooling system plays a bigger role on the life expectancy of the equipment rather the equipment itself. Quality contractors are few and far between but we are out there!!! Do your homework and get more than 2 estimates

Date created: 2013-01-14 Name: M gray
Location: chester sc

"Tempstar review"
8.5 years old and they recommend me buy a new one after $1500 in repair bills this year alone---needless to say I'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a new one- industry average is 10-15 years and this one reached 8. sorry piece of junk! And the contractor for it here in sc is beyond unprofessional- mad that I asked for my spring maintenance fee back since obviously that didn't help the longevity of this piece of junk. He told me to find a new ac repair person...........ha! Gladly