Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-09-07 Name: M. Barber
Location: Muncie, IN

"Expensive mistake"
After 18 years I had to replace my air conditioning unit. I replaced it with a Tempstar 3 ton unit. It's been in 4 days and after 4 service calls it still isn't cooling my home. The compressor runs constantly and the air is cool but not cold. To keep my house at 70 degrees it runs 45 minutes out of every hour. This is the exact same brand and size I had before that worked fine for 18 years but apparently now their products are junk.

Date created: 2015-09-04 Name: Homer J
Location: New York

"3 summers and good so far"
I had a 3 ton TX 5600 installed 2 1/2 years ago and have been through 3 summers with it. I also had the matching air handler with basic ECM (not variable speed) installed. So far, we have been extremely pleased with the units. They have worked flawlessly and that is really all you can ask for. The outside unit is extremely quiet. Our electricity bills are also down, so the energy efficiency seems to be the real deal vs. what we had before this. I think the mantra that installation is as important as product selection is absolutely true. Find someone with long experience who goes by the book and just doesn't slap in some product that they think will fit your needs.

Date created: 2015-08-29 Name: Jerry N
Location: Citrus County, FL

"Buyer beware!"
We purchased this A/C last year in February. We started having Freon leaks at the beginning of summer. Have had the coil replaced 4 times. The company that installed it claimed that Tempstar refused to replace the unit. We had to buy an extended warranty this February for $800. We still have Freon leaks and they are recharging the unit ever month and can't find the leak. What junk! I'm not happy with the company that installed it either (Air Care).

Date created: 2015-08-24 Name: D. BYRD
Location: St. Matthews, SC

"Tempstar is the biggest ripoff"
Unit put into service in February 2013. 1/2 year old unit, had the whole coil unit replaced. The capacitor was replaced, Puron leaking out 3 times, and now the compressor is out and we have to pay over $700 for what is supposed to be warranted. I have already contacted an attorney. My mother is 91 and has had to be moved from home over 10 times in the last year because of the problems with cooling. I can't believe the company I bought this home from would even deal with this company. When I called they knew about problems with Tempstar units.

Date created: 2015-08-05 Name: Jimmy D. Honeycutt
Location: Golden, MS

"Very satisfied"
I bought this house 4 years ago off the original owners that built it. It has a Tempstar 5000 installed in 1996 when the house was built and the unit has 1993 on it representing the time of manufacturing. We live in Mississippi and we keep out temperature set at 74 degrees in this very hot season. The unit keeps our 2,100 square foot house very comfortable. Our electric bill for July is only $111.00 while people around us are having $200 and $300 electric bills. It's going to be hard to find a unit that good when this one goes out. 100% satisfied and hope I can replace it with the same thing when it does go out.

Date created: 2015-07-29 Name: Dan Creighton
Location: Houston, TX

"2013 unit has gone bad"
I just replaced a 30 year old unit that was still running well on a different part of my home. I was expecting it to not last much longer. I was surprised when my 12 year old Tempstar unit started blowing its breaker at startup. My reliable service provider did all they could think of to get it running correctly again. It worked ok for 1 week and now is blowing the breaker again. I replaced the fuse so it is not a weak breaker. My A/C man thinks the compressor may be faulty, causing too high an amp draw on startup. I am not happy I have to replace a unit that is not very old.

Date created: 2015-07-21 Name: Jason
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"General performance"
I'm an HVAC contractor. I got on here to see what Tempstar 's customer reviews looked like, especially compared to other products. I was surprised to see some of the unsatisfactory reviews. My company has regularly used Tempstar products for 15 years. We consistently use it because we want to give our customers a product we know they will be happy with and one we know we will not have to go back and service in the coming years. Occasionally we'll have a unit here or there that is a lemon. But overall they out perform all others. We put in all brands based on a customer's request. So we see all different types of units and their quirks. Tempstar has the best record from our experience. Maybe the bad reviews are a bit of a statistical sampling flaw since those customers who have had bad experiences are most likely to post their review. Whereas satisfied customers are getting what they expected--a good performing product. So they don't feel a need to write a review. Just my thoughts. Hope this was helpful.

Date created: 2015-06-28 Name: Jose Fuentes
Location: Davidson, NC

"Control board and other problem"
I have had the unit for 6 years and every year I need to spend money to repair it. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Date created: 2015-04-22 Name: C. Barrett
Location: Memphis, TN

"Haven't had any problems"
I've had my Tempstar unit since 1986, and its now 2015. I've had one fan motor and capacitor change. Some Freon was added once. That's it! The only way I'm changing my unit is when it starts to leak or the condenser burns out. This has been a good unit. I had a very good installer also.

Date created: 2015-04-21 Name: Mike Jones
Location: GA

"Crappy AC unit"
It is 2015, and this unit is about 6 years old. The weather is starting to get warm and hot. Is the worst day ever. Get a different unit, people.