Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-09-04 Name: Homer J
Location: New York

"3 summers and good so far"
I had a 3 ton TX 5600 installed 2 1/2 years ago and have been through 3 summers with it. I also had the matching air handler with basic ECM (not variable speed) installed. So far, we have been extremely pleased with the units. They have worked flawlessly and that is really all you can ask for. The outside unit is extremely quiet. Our electricity bills are also down, so the energy efficiency seems to be the real deal vs. what we had before this. I think the mantra that installation is as important as product selection is absolutely true. Find someone with long experience who goes by the book and just doesn't slap in some product that they think will fit your needs.

Date created: 2015-08-29 Name: Jerry N
Location: Citrus County, FL

"Buyer beware!"
We purchased this A/C last year in February. We started having Freon leaks at the beginning of summer. Have had the coil replaced 4 times. The company that installed it claimed that Tempstar refused to replace the unit. We had to buy an extended warranty this February for $800. We still have Freon leaks and they are recharging the unit ever month and can't find the leak. What junk! I'm not happy with the company that installed it either (Air Care).

Date created: 2015-08-24 Name: D. BYRD
Location: St. Matthews, SC

"Tempstar is the biggest ripoff"
Unit put into service in February 2013. 1/2 year old unit, had the whole coil unit replaced. The capacitor was replaced, Puron leaking out 3 times, and now the compressor is out and we have to pay over $700 for what is supposed to be warranted. I have already contacted an attorney. My mother is 91 and has had to be moved from home over 10 times in the last year because of the problems with cooling. I can't believe the company I bought this home from would even deal with this company. When I called they knew about problems with Tempstar units.

Date created: 2015-08-05 Name: Jimmy D. Honeycutt
Location: Golden, MS

"Very satisfied"
I bought this house 4 years ago off the original owners that built it. It has a Tempstar 5000 installed in 1996 when the house was built and the unit has 1993 on it representing the time of manufacturing. We live in Mississippi and we keep out temperature set at 74 degrees in this very hot season. The unit keeps our 2,100 square foot house very comfortable. Our electric bill for July is only $111.00 while people around us are having $200 and $300 electric bills. It's going to be hard to find a unit that good when this one goes out. 100% satisfied and hope I can replace it with the same thing when it does go out.

Date created: 2015-07-29 Name: Dan Creighton
Location: Houston, TX

"2013 unit has gone bad"
I just replaced a 30 year old unit that was still running well on a different part of my home. I was expecting it to not last much longer. I was surprised when my 12 year old Tempstar unit started blowing its breaker at startup. My reliable service provider did all they could think of to get it running correctly again. It worked ok for 1 week and now is blowing the breaker again. I replaced the fuse so it is not a weak breaker. My A/C man thinks the compressor may be faulty, causing too high an amp draw on startup. I am not happy I have to replace a unit that is not very old.

Date created: 2015-07-21 Name: Jason
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"General performance"
I'm an HVAC contractor. I got on here to see what Tempstar 's customer reviews looked like, especially compared to other products. I was surprised to see some of the unsatisfactory reviews. My company has regularly used Tempstar products for 15 years. We consistently use it because we want to give our customers a product we know they will be happy with and one we know we will not have to go back and service in the coming years. Occasionally we'll have a unit here or there that is a lemon. But overall they out perform all others. We put in all brands based on a customer's request. So we see all different types of units and their quirks. Tempstar has the best record from our experience. Maybe the bad reviews are a bit of a statistical sampling flaw since those customers who have had bad experiences are most likely to post their review. Whereas satisfied customers are getting what they expected--a good performing product. So they don't feel a need to write a review. Just my thoughts. Hope this was helpful.

Date created: 2015-06-28 Name: Jose Fuentes
Location: Davidson, NC

"Control board and other problem"
I have had the unit for 6 years and every year I need to spend money to repair it. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Date created: 2015-04-22 Name: C. Barrett
Location: Memphis, TN

"Haven't had any problems"
I've had my Tempstar unit since 1986, and its now 2015. I've had one fan motor and capacitor change. Some Freon was added once. That's it! The only way I'm changing my unit is when it starts to leak or the condenser burns out. This has been a good unit. I had a very good installer also.

Date created: 2015-04-21 Name: Mike Jones
Location: GA

"Crappy AC unit"
It is 2015, and this unit is about 6 years old. The weather is starting to get warm and hot. Is the worst day ever. Get a different unit, people.

Date created: 2014-09-01 Name: Kathleen roberts
Location: Quarryville, PA

"We need help, Nightmare."
D. Richard and Kathleen Roberts Quarryville, PA 17566 Model # T4A32GKD serial # E140915761 : REPLACED with serial # E140915766 on 8/26/2014 Model# ENA4X30L17 serial# X141748959 : REPLACED with serial #X143054705 on 8/25/2014 Installed 8/7/2014 by Alger Oil Since installation these service calls have been performed: 8/7/2014 - Evening. Ed Wood sent because unit short cycling off, each time for 5 minutes, running constantly. Fooled with new thermostat. 8/9/2014 - 7:30 PM. Jeff AC not cooling, short cycling off each time for 5 minutes. Jeff added coolant, left. Air was very cold. Unit continued to run for 45 minutes without shutting off. Called, told to shut it off and someone would come out next day. 8/10/2014 - Serviced, no work order given. "Under warranty". Still short cycling off only 5 min. each time. Not cooling, like a fan running. Added, then backed out coolant. Worked on thermostat. 8/12/2014 - Still not cooling and running constantly. 8/13/2014 - Mr Spangler was supposed to replace thermostat, thinking it was reason for short cycling. 8/20/2014 - Called for service. Not cooling, not shutting off for the week. Told us that they were going to try to get a replacement coil. The A/C was not working right, not splitting. 8/21/2014 - He told me the part would be in Friday. When I asked what the part was, he told me the TXV valve had been broken when soldered on at the factory. 8/25/2014 - Here to replace the coil assembly. 8/26/2014 - All here to install new outdoor assembly. After doing this and fooling with newly installed indoor assembly, and the blower (changed the pulley), we're still not satisfied with air flow and temperature we are getting. AC ran all night with few breaks. Cycling 5 times per hour. Outdoor temperature dipped to 63 degrees, thermostat set and reading 78 degrees ovenight. 8/27/2014 - Thermostat set at 74. AC worked well and kept the house at that temperature, cycling off and on. 2:47PM unit came on. After running steady for 3 hours it kicked off for less then 5 minutes. At 5:40PM then on again, temperature in house quickly rose to 76 degrees. By 6PM we were finding air flow greatly diminished and air not to be cool. Called for service. 8/28/2014 - Called ICPUSA. Recapped the entire 3 week process and latest symptoms. Talked to Christine, Senior Level Representative. She said they would contact Alger Oil. Came to replace blower on unit. Replaced the blower, told me it "open some room up". Added coolant to unit outside. Cut off kitchen and 1 living room register to force air through rest of house. Mr Spangler told me that they originally thought the coil assembly was wrong, but found out that the outside compressor assembly was defective. Was looking for a different coil style (like a tent) for us because they noticed when they put their head over top of the coil there was not as much cold air as there was on the side of the coil. Evidently, the cabinet of furnace unit is different then newer ones. 8/29/2014 - Cooled fairly well and cycled off and on both blower and compressor until about 3:30 PM. As unit had to work harder, the compressor would turn off outside for 2 minutes, but blower did not and the usual click at thermostat didn't happen. Compressor makes a thumping/rumbling noise sometimes while running. Air coming out of vents when blower not cutting off with compressor is not as cool as when compressor and blower cycle together. 8/30/2014 - Cool cloudy day. Unit ran, blower and compressor, together. 8/31/2014 - After 10:45AM, blower never cut off when compressor did until once at 2:05PM and again at 8:28 PM. Unit outside makes the thumping/rumbling noise and also a noise similar to something being stuck in a rotating spoke, metallic clanking! Compressor is shutting off for exactly 2 minutes. Thermostat is set at 72 degrees but we feel it is not as cool as it should be. Unit seems to have a problem when the day heats up, or it may be the sun at its peak. The unit cycles on and off, as well as the blower, until it has to run hard to make the house comfortable. Then the compressor starts making noises and shutting off for 2 minutes while the blower runs non-stop. After 3 weeks of service, we need this problem corrected. The service people from Alger Oil seem as perplexed as we are. We are getting sick from the fact that nothing seems to help. We are not able to sleep and must not schedule anything else so that we are available for service calls. It is wrecking our lives. We feel we have been more than patient and would like to officially start a warranty claim so that we have not paid $3400.00 for just a fan, rather then an efficient AC unit! We anticipate some outlandish electric bill as well, adding to our distress!