Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-05-28 Name: E. Gaynor
Location: Clark, NJ

"Tempstar Central A/C"
Very unsatisfied with the performance or I should say non-performance of the Central A/C unit. Constantly have to call the company in for various problems. On a few occasions they could not even figure out what the problem was, which runs up the service/labor charge, not to mention a few new parts. This has probably cost me as much in service calls as it did to purchase the unit! Never again!!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-05-17 Name: Harvey Goldstein
Location: Northridge, California

We purchased a new tempstar, 5 ton unit, model t2a360, in Sept. of 2007. This replaced a 10 year old Lenox unit that no longer worked and was not worth repairing. Since we are located in southern California, we get plenty of hot summer days but since our purchase was near the end of last summer, there was only 1 day when we tried to use the unit. It failed to operate and we called for service. Repairs were made and we assumed all was well. Weather conditions did not call for additional use until recently, (April of 2008). We tried to use the unit again and it again failed to work. It merely would kick on and off, without any cooling. Once again, the service technician made repairs and we thought all was well. Three weeks went by without a need for the A/C. Then we got a typical heat wave of over 100 degree temps and tried the unit. again, it failed to cool and did not run for more than a couple of minutes. We immediately called and waited another 100 degree day for service. When the technician diagnosed the problem, he said the unit will not run and is over heating. How can a unit overheat when it never even runs? We have had our fill with this unit and will demand a replacement unit or a full refund to purchase a different brand.

Date created: 2008-03-30 Name: Keith G Albert
Location: Georgia

Just moved into my new home two weeks ago on 3/15/08. I have already had the installer out three times to work on unit. First it was "short cycling" then it needed a "freon charge" and the last time some line was clogged. This unit is brand new!!! I should not have so many problems so early. I do not recommend and I will never own again.

Date created: 2007-10-12 Name: Jerry R.
Location: Madison, MS

I bought a new home in Madison, MS in 1994 with a Tempstar Central Air/Heating unit. The heating unit was a problem after about 3 years and had to have about $1,000 of work done. Now the central a/c has to be recharged with freon at least once a year and has had to be refilled twice this summer and now needs recharging for the third time. Will now have to buy a new unit. It will not be a Tempstar!!!

Date created: 2007-07-19 Name: C. McBirney
Location: Naples, Florida

After many years of selling central a/c systems, (many many different brands) I have now settled on Tempstar. There dependability, quality, and warranty are at the top. If they continue to maintain this quality, then one day they will be a household name similar to Trane, carrier and Lennox. I am happy selling this product and will continue to do so.

Date created: 2007-04-04 Name: Brandon H.
Location: Nashville, TN

got the unit 3 years ago. Coil went out and the technician didn't know. Paid $175 in service calls before he figured it out. Ran without freon for 3 months (went to emergency heat) and my electric bills doubled. I am going to take a beating on the labor costs. From the manufacturer to the dealer to me, none has been helpful and blames the other. DO NOT buy a Tempstar. Once they have your money (purchase) you are no longer considered valuable to them.

Date created: 2006-08-21 Years owned: 3

I have a tempstar t9mpd100j20a furnace installed 10/14/02 and two weeks later needed a service call would not ignite. thy had to replace the igniter(under warrenty after 4 days)i have the a/c unit tca448aka1purchased at the same time that was installed 5/27/03. aug 05 i needed freon added.(NOT WARRENTY)JUNE 06 I NEEDED THE COND. FAN MOTOR REPLACED (NOT WARRENTY)AUG 15,06 I NEEDED THE A/COIL REPLACED EPD48J22C (NOT WARRENTY)BECAUSE I WOULD NOT FOR 4TO6 WEEKS FOR THE REPLACEMENT, HAVING NO A/C FOR A WEEK IN 90+ DEGREES. I FEEL I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY WARRENTY FOR THIS UNIT.

Date created: 2006-07-29 Years owned: 3

A-coil leaks and technician says he believes it was leaking for a while. Part was covered but the half day of labor is going to hammer me in the purse. No one has given me any answers whether these coils are pressure tested before going to the consumers.

Date created: 2006-07-24 Years owned: 6

AC unit purchased new in 1990.At 4 yrs. fan switch failed.It took over 3 weeks for parts order and repair.In June 2006 unit failed again,I was told repairs would cost over 1100.00 by BALLARD AIR COND. of Rialto, Ca.

Date created: 2006-07-18 Years owned: 3

I have two Tempstar AC central air units in my new home (built around May of 2003). One is a 4 Ton unit and the other is a 3 Ton unit. Since the units have been installed they have been nothing but trouble. First the lights in the house would dim when the main unit turned on (4 Ton). The electrician (who also was the AC contractor) said it was not a problem. Eventually I convinced him that it was a problem from standpoint. So he installed a power booster on the unit. That seemed to help some. But, the unit kept going down. On one ocassion it needed refrigerant. On two other ocassions the points needed to be replaced. Finally, the compressor burnt out after about 2 1/2 years and it cost me almost $400 in labor to have it replaced. With the new compressor the lights didn't dim as much anymore when the unit started up. Ineresting! The other smaller unit has had points replaced, refrigerant added and now it is blowing hot air after he just replaced the points again last month. I have had Central Air for over 30 years in my homes and have never had these kinds of ongoing problems. But, I also never had Tempstar units before! You can be sure I will never get them again.