Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-09-21 Name: Rusty Nason
Location: Port Charlotte, FL

"Pice of crap"
This pice of crap a/c has broke down 6 times sice I had it installed. its only 5 years old and now the second compresser is gone. it leaks freon every 6 months. it has cost me the same in repairs as it did to install it new. now its 96 deg. outside and I have no air again. if I could I would rip it out and throw it in the garbage. now im stuck with a $5000.00 piece of crap!!!!!

Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: Melissa Kress
Location: Anna, OH

"Nothing but issues"
We purchased a central air conditioner until July of last year. This unit since it has been installed has worked a total of 3 months. The place that installed the unit has been out 3 times to fix this, then I thought I would contact sears to come and fix the issue. When the service man came, there was no freon in the unit. He advised us to call back in April as he needed to take the unit apart to order the part, this was back on 8/18. Here we are 2 weeks later and yes once again, the unit is out of freon and they cannot come until 9/8 to fix it or at least fill the freon back up to last us another two weeks
Date created: 2008-08-30 Name: Jay Moore
Location: Tampa, FL

"Tempstar Central Air Unit"
I began to have problems year two after the initial installation when the A/C coils were replaced under warranty. Every year since then (3 more years), I have had several expensive repairs. I would never purchase this system again.
Date created: 2008-07-26 Name: D Bace
Location: Henderson, NV

"Bad Tempstar A/C"
Service Man just left. This unit is in a new house. I have had nothing but trouble after the second year, after the warranty ran out. Said we needed a new compressor , second one in two years . Also have had four capacitors put in three months in a row plus a contact switch. Have a maintenance contract so unit is checked twice a year. Seems like Tempstar has problems that they should check into . Can not and will not keep putting money into a bad product . I know those products have bad units ,but this is getting to be to much . Would never buy Tempstar again.
Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: Roger Despard
Location: Lexington, KY

"Heat pump;a/c"
Two years old - found out there was a defective part (wiring harness to compressor was not properly insulated resulted in two burnt wires that shorted out compressor) must be completely replaced and new freon and drier put on unit. Very expensive!!! Quote in my pocket, 925.00. Will be in touch.
Date created: 2008-07-17 Name: S. Runner
Location: Houston, TX

"Police Officer"
I had a new 4 ton unit installed 11/06 inside and out including new air ducts and heating system. Unit was used only a few times because of the time of year it was installed. In April 07 we turned on the unit and we had problems with noise. When the outside unit turned off it would make a loud bang noise. My service man did not hesitate replacing it. The new unit started making the same loud bang noise when it turned off also. My service man came out often and even had reps from Tempstar come out and record the noise and video tape the outside unit. After a year and many, many, many visits to change allot of internal items in the unit, I had the unit replaced again 11/08. I have had no problems with cooling/heating. My bills are the lowest they've been in years, but the noise on the new unit is back. I have not called my service man back to tell him, because the unit is cooling great. I will have him back out in November to do the yearly maintenance and checkup, but I have not had to pay a dime during the time my service man kept coming out and even when the Tempstar reps came out. I will continue to use ac Air Enterprise as my service, Paul was fair, honest and only cared about my air conditioning unit. If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought a Tempstar, but a different brand, but I would still have bought it from my serviceman, Paul and ac Air Enterprise. It is hard to find an honest reliable a/c man. Thanks Paul, I will be calling you in November.
Date created: 2008-07-06 Name: Dan Sharkey
Location: Peoria, AZ

"CAN'T SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT TEMPSTAR"
Purchased new home in 4-16-08. Tempstar 5300 series in use for 3 mo. I have two units, both have been worked on. The larger unit was overcharged for Arizona heat, cycling on and off and then nothing. The second unit melted the fuse box. I also have trouble with the handlers not putting air in several vents. Not impressed with the company!!!!
Date created: 2008-07-01 Name: Teri A.
Location: Gardner, KS

"Owner"
Put our unit in new in 1994. The last 7 or 8 years we have had to have a repair guy out because the unit freezes up. Apparently it has had a leak in it all this time & the leak is in the A-Coil & will be a couple of thousand dollars to fix it, that's if they can even get the part. If we have to replace it all, it will not be a Tempstar.
Date created: 2008-06-25 Name: C Hoxsie
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota

"Home Owner"
My air conditioner was new and only worked one year. On the service call they added freeon. One month later it wouldn't cool anymore. They tested it and found leaks everywhere within the unit. They replaced the unit and the new one still needs to be filled with freeon twice a year. They refuse to test this one. They are junk and should be put out of business. I would definitely stay away from the Tempstar brand.
Date created: 2008-06-18 Name: Joe

"Proper Installation"
I read the reviews by the owners. From the information stated by each unsatisfied owner, and my 35 years of experience it appears that the installation in almost all of the systems was the problem. All manufacturers can have a problem once in awhile. I would recommend any consumer that is having a problem give the contractor a responsible amount of time to make the correction. After giving them a chance if not satisfied get a second opinion. Most of the problems I am seeing deal with leaks or charging caused by improper installation techniques. Check with your local municipalities to determine if your contractor is properly licensed and bonded. There are many installers putting in all brands of A/C equipment out there that are not qualified. If they are licensed chances are they are experienced and will due a professional job.