Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-03-10 Name: Annie
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"Tempstar - very poor quality"
I had problems about 2 1/2 years after this new unit was installed in the new townhome that was just built. $2000 and 4 repair trips later, the system is down again. Time to buy a real unit now. What a sorry piece of junk this Tempstar unit is. The warranty is 2yr - Isn't that convenient.

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: G. Thomas
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin

"Tempstar has been good to me!"
My central air was installed in 1992 and has never been serviced at all. It still works perfectly. It is a 12 seer scroll compressor. What more can one say?

Date created: 2008-12-27 Name: Mary L.
Location: Houma, LA

"Piece of Junk"
We installed a Tempstar central unit when we built our house 8 yrs. ago. The unit went out the month after we built our house and we have to have it serviced at least 3 times a year because it either freezes up, or the A-coil is leaking. I cannot wait until I can get rid of this hunk of junk. I would not recommend this unit to anyone.

Date created: 2008-12-12 Name: David Lee
Location: Danville, CA

"My Tempstar"
Ive had a few tempstar units on a few of my properties and I can say that they are great. I havent had any problems with them. 99.9% of the time if an A/C unit goes down, its not the compressor, but probably something wrong with the installation being too small, too big, not properly installed, etc. And just as an FYI, TempStar does not make the cooling coils or the piping that goes from the condenser/compressor to the inside of the house. Those are all made and supplied by another company, usually subcontractor. If an AC unit fails in less than 10 years, then 99.9% of the time, its the fault of the installer. An AC unit needs to be properly sized, located correctly, and correctly installed for it to work without problems. If the piping is not properly braised and leak tested, if the lines are not properly evacuated after braising and before charging, if not properly charged, then the unit will fail within a years time. Another tip is when you have a new or replacement unit put in, always ask for a receiver drier to be put inline so that it will eliminate any problems later on. It also helps to watch the installers like a hawk to make sure they are not cutting corners. Chances are, anyone who has had problems with their Tempstar HVAC, its not because of a faulty product, but because of the HVAC tech wanting a return call because they are paid based on visit/hour. So its really beneficial for them to do shoddy work since its a guaranteed income stream.

Date created: 2008-12-12 Name: P.Nowell

"Tempstar A/C Units Belong in Junkyard"
Re: Cooling/Heating Unit Failure Tempstar Model Nbr. pa5548aka6 Installation Date: 10/27/05 (move in date) 3 years old We were charged $97.00 to have Freon recharged because of a leaking evaporator coil on a unit less than 2 years old. Then we incurred the evaporator coil replacement cost of $295.00, etc., etc.. Total repairs to date: 09/12/07 $ 97.00 10/02/07 295.00 07/18/08 145.95 10/14/08 105.00 TOTAL $642.95 We have finally been forced to replace the inferior unit with a new one from a reputable manufacturer at a cost of over $3500.00 to us. Conclusion: Tempstar units belong in the junkyard

Date created: 2008-09-21 Name: Rusty Nason
Location: Port Charlotte, FL

"Pice of crap"
This pice of crap a/c has broke down 6 times sice I had it installed. its only 5 years old and now the second compresser is gone. it leaks freon every 6 months. it has cost me the same in repairs as it did to install it new. now its 96 deg. outside and I have no air again. if I could I would rip it out and throw it in the garbage. now im stuck with a $5000.00 piece of crap!!!!!

Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: Melissa Kress
Location: Anna, OH

"Nothing but issues"
We purchased a central air conditioner until July of last year. This unit since it has been installed has worked a total of 3 months. The place that installed the unit has been out 3 times to fix this, then I thought I would contact sears to come and fix the issue. When the service man came, there was no freon in the unit. He advised us to call back in April as he needed to take the unit apart to order the part, this was back on 8/18. Here we are 2 weeks later and yes once again, the unit is out of freon and they cannot come until 9/8 to fix it or at least fill the freon back up to last us another two weeks

Date created: 2008-08-30 Name: Jay Moore
Location: Tampa, FL

"Tempstar Central Air Unit"
I began to have problems year two after the initial installation when the A/C coils were replaced under warranty. Every year since then (3 more years), I have had several expensive repairs. I would never purchase this system again.

Date created: 2008-07-26 Name: D Bace
Location: Henderson, NV

"Bad Tempstar A/C"
Service Man just left. This unit is in a new house. I have had nothing but trouble after the second year, after the warranty ran out. Said we needed a new compressor , second one in two years . Also have had four capacitors put in three months in a row plus a contact switch. Have a maintenance contract so unit is checked twice a year. Seems like Tempstar has problems that they should check into . Can not and will not keep putting money into a bad product . I know those products have bad units ,but this is getting to be to much . Would never buy Tempstar again.

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: Roger Despard
Location: Lexington, KY

"Heat pump;a/c"
Two years old - found out there was a defective part (wiring harness to compressor was not properly insulated resulted in two burnt wires that shorted out compressor) must be completely replaced and new freon and drier put on unit. Very expensive!!! Quote in my pocket, 925.00. Will be in touch.