Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-07-10 Name: R. Von
Location: Bristol, WI

"Tempstar"
I am looking at reviews as I know that HVAC doesn't last forever and I wanted to be prepared in case I had trouble. That being said, my Tempstar heating and air conditioning is original to my home built in 1990. I believe I had a switch replaced in the furnace 15 years ago but other than that neither the furnace nor air conditioning has been touched. I notice that some of the reviews for equipment purchased more recently aren't all as good but based on my own experience it would be hard for me not to give Tempstar a serious look if my current equipment ever gives up the ghost.

Date created: 2016-07-04 Name: R spooner
Location: Almonte, Ontario, Canada

"Air conditioner"
We bought our air conditioner 26 months ago. The coil has gone. The parts are covered but the labour is not. We thought it would last longer than 2 years. The labour is over $600.00. The coil has gone. Not very good for a 2 year old AC. Would not recommend Tempstar. It's not like it goes all year, we live in Canada.

Date created: 2016-06-05 Name: justin bartkowiak
Location: London, OH

"Tempstar A/C unit"
I thought I would give a review for my Tempstar air conditioning unit and I want to say I have had it for four years now and I am totally satisfied with how it keeps the house comfortable without having a huge electric bill.

Date created: 2016-05-22 Name: R. Strong
Location: Florence, MS

"Awesome!"
After reading all of these reviews on here, I decided to give you the best one! Our Tempstar, Model # CAJ1042VKA1, was put in new when I bought our used home around 1978. That makes it at least 38 years old! We have never had anything done to it. We have replaced 2 thermostats over the years, but the heating and cooling parts have never been touched! As my grandma use to say, "Knock on wood". But this is the absolute truth! Apparently nothing is made now like it used to be. If and when something should happen that can't be repaired, we will still stick to Tempstar. PS - We live in the deep south, where summer temperatures average in the mid 90's.

Date created: 2015-09-20 Name: Todd P.
Location: Rockledge, FL

"Junk new A/C system has broken 2 times in less than 15 months!"
I have had this A/C and furnace for just over a year now and it has broken twice already! The first time, the expansion valve went bad about 3 months ago and now the outside controller board for the A/C unit is bad! Yeah, it is under warranty but that only covers their junk parts and not the insane labor bills(had it installed by a installer listed on Tempstar's site too) that come with fixing this pos system! Plus, both times it has broken on a weekend and I had to wait until Monday to get the parts, so no A/C in the Florida heat! I had a basic Trane system before this that came with house; it lasted 12 years with zero issues. Buy this 'high- efficiency' unreliable junk system and it breaks all the time...never buying a Tempstar or Carrier again(they are the same company)!

Date created: 2015-09-07 Name: M. Barber
Location: Muncie, IN

"Expensive mistake"
After 18 years I had to replace my air conditioning unit. I replaced it with a Tempstar 3 ton unit. It's been in 4 days and after 4 service calls it still isn't cooling my home. The compressor runs constantly and the air is cool but not cold. To keep my house at 70 degrees it runs 45 minutes out of every hour. This is the exact same brand and size I had before that worked fine for 18 years but apparently now their products are junk.

Date created: 2015-09-04 Name: Homer J
Location: New York

"3 summers and good so far"
I had a 3 ton TX 5600 installed 2 1/2 years ago and have been through 3 summers with it. I also had the matching air handler with basic ECM (not variable speed) installed. So far, we have been extremely pleased with the units. They have worked flawlessly and that is really all you can ask for. The outside unit is extremely quiet. Our electricity bills are also down, so the energy efficiency seems to be the real deal vs. what we had before this. I think the mantra that installation is as important as product selection is absolutely true. Find someone with long experience who goes by the book and just doesn't slap in some product that they think will fit your needs.

Date created: 2015-08-29 Name: Jerry N
Location: Citrus County, FL

"Buyer beware!"
We purchased this A/C last year in February. We started having Freon leaks at the beginning of summer. Have had the coil replaced 4 times. The company that installed it claimed that Tempstar refused to replace the unit. We had to buy an extended warranty this February for $800. We still have Freon leaks and they are recharging the unit ever month and can't find the leak. What junk! I'm not happy with the company that installed it either (Air Care).

Date created: 2015-08-24 Name: D. BYRD
Location: St. Matthews, SC

"Tempstar is the biggest ripoff"
Unit put into service in February 2013. 1/2 year old unit, had the whole coil unit replaced. The capacitor was replaced, Puron leaking out 3 times, and now the compressor is out and we have to pay over $700 for what is supposed to be warranted. I have already contacted an attorney. My mother is 91 and has had to be moved from home over 10 times in the last year because of the problems with cooling. I can't believe the company I bought this home from would even deal with this company. When I called they knew about problems with Tempstar units.

Date created: 2015-08-05 Name: Jimmy D. Honeycutt
Location: Golden, MS

"Very satisfied"
I bought this house 4 years ago off the original owners that built it. It has a Tempstar 5000 installed in 1996 when the house was built and the unit has 1993 on it representing the time of manufacturing. We live in Mississippi and we keep out temperature set at 74 degrees in this very hot season. The unit keeps our 2,100 square foot house very comfortable. Our electric bill for July is only $111.00 while people around us are having $200 and $300 electric bills. It's going to be hard to find a unit that good when this one goes out. 100% satisfied and hope I can replace it with the same thing when it does go out.