Consumer Reviews of SEARS central air conditioners

Read more about SEARS central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Carol Heckelmann

"DON'T BUY AC FROM SEARS"
Hottest time of the summer; two weeks without air conditioning; three technicians from Sears have been to my home and determined I need a new ac. it cannot be fixed. Still waiting after hours on the phone with 13 different representatives (all of whom do not know who is on first base) and tell me there is no documentation yet and might take at least another week. I will never purchase from Sears again.

Date created: 2010-07-30 Name: R. Odom

"Nightmare, stay awat from SEARS!!"
Our problems began before the unit was ever installed. After a very thorough 3 hour demo from a Sears consultant, my wife and I decided to go with the complete 10k pkg with full lifetime warranty. Three days pass in the sweltering 100 degree plus heat with no contact from anyone about our unit. Our calls went unanswered so we sent notices via email to all persons involved to cancel our order: from distict gm down to project mgr. Literally, and I mean literally, 2 minutes later we got a call from the Project mgr. stating he had just received our email and knew nothing about the order...really? How did they have our home phone number then? Stay away from Sears! Reginaorn@yahoo.com for more info

Date created: 2010-05-30 Name: David Segesta

"Sears installed Carrier central A/C"
Sears installed a Carrier central air conditioner in my house in 2007. In 2008, it wasn't working properly and needed repair. In 2009, it wasn't working and needed repair several times. Now, it's 2010 and it isn't working again. Definitely would not recommend to a friend. The problem is that it won't cool long enough to drop the temperature more than 1 or 2 degrees. Then it stops producing cool air. It's a 4 ton unit and my house is only a 2300 sq ft colonial.

Date created: 2010-05-19 Name: B. Martin

"Great AC unit!"
My Sears AC unit was installed in 1978 and is still working perfectly. I'm sure it costs more to run than a modern, more efficient unit, but I can't say enough about it's reliability. I've been in this house for 7 years and have never had need to call for service.

Date created: 2009-08-16 Name: Jeff McEwen

"Sears the Scam Artists"
I contracted Sears to install a new central air conditioning system in my home. I thought I would be well protected hiring services from a company such as Sears, was I ever wrong! The installer (an independent sub contractor) took an excessive amount of time with the installation and when it came time to test it, the unit did not function. The installer claimed there was no electrical power at the compressor, but that was not true as a new electrical service was installed for this unit and my volt meter indicated 230 volts present. I can not tell you how many times I called Sears to get this unit running. They made appointments and did not show, then they did not return phone calls, the typical we have your money and don’t care attitude. I even called the salesman that sold me the unit and his response was, “I only sell them.” I decided to use a two prong approach to resolve this problem. First, I served written notice, Certified Mail, return receipt to the local office as well as the corporate office of Sears as an unimpeachable notice outlining their breach of contract and set a deadline for the unit to properly function properly or as the sign over the door at Sears says, your money back if not completely satisfied. In short, I would through litigation force them to remove the unit and fully repair all holes, damages, etc. they made to install the unit and refund my money in full. Simultaneously, I engaged the second course of action. I filed complaints with the state Attorney General, my county’s office of Consumer Protection as well as the Better Business Bureau. Well, the all mighty, arrogant Sears got the message, loud and clear. They sent a different sub contractor to the house to find the original contractor had not properly wired the thermostat to the central a/C. When the unit was fired, there was excessive wind noise in the air handling system due to undersized ducts. The new contractor had to replace those ducts with ones that were sized properly. After nearly a year and so much unnecessary grief my central air conditioner worked. Oh, by the way due to my demands to have the unit removed I was given a very sizable refund (about 20% of the purchase price) in exchange for not forcing them to remove the unit. When contractors give you problems, your state or county’s Consumer Protection Department is there and the service is free. Your tax dollars pay for this and these fine people know how to put the pressure on dead beats. Additionally, a permanent record of your complaint is maintained so that other consumers checking on a contractor will be made aware of the problems you encountered. This is a good place for you to check before hiring a contractor.

Date created: 2009-08-02 Name: diane puyenbroek

"Sears central air kenmore"
Installed june 22/09 not working Aug 1/09 suppose to have 24/7 emergency repairs spent over 4 hours on phone getting run around over two days still not working

Date created: 2009-06-06 Name: Patricia

"Horrible"
We purchased our ac from Sears and have regretted that descision ever since. The installers showed up 2 days later than promised (turns out Sears uses subcontractors to put in their AC's). They had all types of issues with the installation and it took them over a week to complete the job when we were initailly told it would be completed within 2 days. Well, after they finish installing it the damn thing doesn't even come on! Nothing! They sent out 2 different repairmen and finally determined the compressor was dead so they had to replace the whole outside unit. This took another 5 days! It doesn't get better, it gets worse! 2 months later it stopped cooling our home. Sears won't do anything...they told us to call the installing company! Well, they finally came out a week after we called and then told us all of the freon had leaked out! Of course this wasn't covered under their warranty (and Sears wouldn't cover the repair either!). We had to pay over $300 to have freon added! Complete ripoff! Now this year it has stopeed working again altogether. We didn't even bother calling Sears because they won't do anything. We called a differnt company out to look at it (we don't trust the Sears contractor). Turns out we have a 2 ton system when we should of had a 3.5 ton system! No wonder it won't cool our home! (Our home is a 1800 sf rancher). We called Sears and again no help! They said we needed to contact the installing company. Well, they in turn blamed Sears for providing the wrong sized ac! Both of them are passing the buck. We have contacted an attorney and will be filing a lawsuit against both of them. never use Sears! It has been one huge migraine from day one.

Date created: 2009-06-04 Name: P. Thomasson

"Total Crap!"
Have had to call Sears out seven times in less than three years to repair this loud piece of crap! Even when it does runs, which isn't often, it barely keeps the house comfortable at all. Other contractor's warned me about using Sears and their sub-contractor installers...now I know why!

Date created: 2009-04-21 Name: SEARS

"Kenmore"
I puchased a protection agreement and even though my ac was giving me some minor issues (but still working), Sears gave me an brand new installed ac that paid for my original ac cost (14 years ago) plus all my protection $ spent plus I'll get the $1,500 tax credit! How do you spell f-r-e-e?

Date created: 2009-04-21 Name: SEARS

"Our Central Air Conditioner"
I had a service technician come out when it stopped cooling. The technician said my unit is fine but the copper tubing had a leak that needed replaced. Sears fixed it and now it is going on it's 24th year! Beat that Carrier, Trane, etc!