Consumer Reviews of SEARS central air conditioners

Read more about SEARS central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: Joe
Location: Peabody, MA

"Nightmare"
Sears installed mis-matched coil and air handlers as they apparently under bid the cost of the central ac system for my house, then couldn't fit the correct size unit in my attic. Without telling me, they installed mismatched (4 ton coil; 3.5 ton air handler); later installed freeze stat switch when system wouldn't work; needed visit from the electrical inspector to find out what they had been up to. Paid for system and extended warranty which was never honored. They walked away from train wreck. Needs to be completely replaced.

Date created: 2011-03-02 Name: C. Huberfeld
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Best Quality For The $"
I bought a Kenmore 17 SEER a/c to replace a Trane that was only 6 years old but was apparently dead (Trane uses aluminum coils, so the tech said -- aluminum can't be soldered) and couldn't be fixed for under $2000. When the Sears salesman came out he didn't try to sell me the most expensive system, but the one that best met my needs. He did a load calculation to determine the size a/c I need and recommended some ductwork fixes. In the end I spent about 10% more than other contractors but I got a great system that is much cheaper to run than my Trane was! And the ductwork fixes mean my bedroom is now as cool as the rest of the house. I would highly recommend Sears and will use them again for other home improvements.

Date created: 2011-02-22 Name: Carol Heckelmann
Location: Lakewood, NJ

"SLOPPY TECHNICIANS"
After finally installing my AC unit and other equipment up to code in my utility room, the installers left the room filthy. There was black soot all over the room and pieces of materials left by installers. Installers also walked through my house and left black soot on my carpets and in my bathroom. Didn't even bother to try to clean up. Never again will I use Sears or their installers.

Date created: 2010-11-27 Name: Kim
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Will not trust Sears name again"
We purchased a very nice and expensive Sears central AC unit since we trusted the Sears name versus other companies. It cost more but we thought we were purchasing a guarantee with the Sears name. About 3 months after the install, our new AC unit caused water to back up into our air ducts and part of our CEILING COLLAPSED! We had water damage and had to replace carpeting, hardwood, the ceiling, lighting,and the chandelier. We were out of our home for 2 months while they attempted to put it back into its original condition. It has now been over a year since the incident and we are still trying to have someone take responsibility for the AC unit malfunction. Sears blames the installer (by the way, Sears contracts their AC installation to outside contractors so Sears does not take responsibility for their work!!! What is the difference between installing through Sears if they do not even do the work? We might as well install through another company then!) and the installer of course does not take responsibility. So no one is paying for the incident. We have had to deal with this ourselves. Unbelievable. We are extremely disappointed with the way Sears handled this and will NEVER purchase a Sears item again. No wonder the company is not doing well anymore. We cannot trust the Sears name if they do not take responsibility for their product or work.

Date created: 2010-08-24 Name: G. Wise
Location: columbia, sc

"Please protect your self."
I have had my unit not even two years and have had constant problems. Sears will not stand by there work.

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Carol Heckelmann

"DON'T BUY AC FROM SEARS"
Hottest time of the summer; two weeks without air conditioning; three technicians from Sears have been to my home and determined I need a new ac. it cannot be fixed. Still waiting after hours on the phone with 13 different representatives (all of whom do not know who is on first base) and tell me there is no documentation yet and might take at least another week. I will never purchase from Sears again.

Date created: 2010-07-30 Name: R. Odom

"Nightmare, stay awat from SEARS!!"
Our problems began before the unit was ever installed. After a very thorough 3 hour demo from a Sears consultant, my wife and I decided to go with the complete 10k pkg with full lifetime warranty. Three days pass in the sweltering 100 degree plus heat with no contact from anyone about our unit. Our calls went unanswered so we sent notices via email to all persons involved to cancel our order: from distict gm down to project mgr. Literally, and I mean literally, 2 minutes later we got a call from the Project mgr. stating he had just received our email and knew nothing about the order...really? How did they have our home phone number then? Stay away from Sears! [email protected] for more info

Date created: 2010-05-30 Name: David Segesta

"Sears installed Carrier central A/C"
Sears installed a Carrier central air conditioner in my house in 2007. In 2008, it wasn't working properly and needed repair. In 2009, it wasn't working and needed repair several times. Now, it's 2010 and it isn't working again. Definitely would not recommend to a friend. The problem is that it won't cool long enough to drop the temperature more than 1 or 2 degrees. Then it stops producing cool air. It's a 4 ton unit and my house is only a 2300 sq ft colonial.

Date created: 2010-05-19 Name: B. Martin

"Great AC unit!"
My Sears AC unit was installed in 1978 and is still working perfectly. I'm sure it costs more to run than a modern, more efficient unit, but I can't say enough about it's reliability. I've been in this house for 7 years and have never had need to call for service.

Date created: 2009-08-16 Name: Jeff McEwen

"Sears the Scam Artists"
I contracted Sears to install a new central air conditioning system in my home. I thought I would be well protected hiring services from a company such as Sears, was I ever wrong! The installer (an independent sub contractor) took an excessive amount of time with the installation and when it came time to test it, the unit did not function. The installer claimed there was no electrical power at the compressor, but that was not true as a new electrical service was installed for this unit and my volt meter indicated 230 volts present. I can not tell you how many times I called Sears to get this unit running. They made appointments and did not show, then they did not return phone calls, the typical we have your money and don’t care attitude. I even called the salesman that sold me the unit and his response was, “I only sell them.” I decided to use a two prong approach to resolve this problem. First, I served written notice, Certified Mail, return receipt to the local office as well as the corporate office of Sears as an unimpeachable notice outlining their breach of contract and set a deadline for the unit to properly function properly or as the sign over the door at Sears says, your money back if not completely satisfied. In short, I would through litigation force them to remove the unit and fully repair all holes, damages, etc. they made to install the unit and refund my money in full. Simultaneously, I engaged the second course of action. I filed complaints with the state Attorney General, my county’s office of Consumer Protection as well as the Better Business Bureau. Well, the all mighty, arrogant Sears got the message, loud and clear. They sent a different sub contractor to the house to find the original contractor had not properly wired the thermostat to the central a/C. When the unit was fired, there was excessive wind noise in the air handling system due to undersized ducts. The new contractor had to replace those ducts with ones that were sized properly. After nearly a year and so much unnecessary grief my central air conditioner worked. Oh, by the way due to my demands to have the unit removed I was given a very sizable refund (about 20% of the purchase price) in exchange for not forcing them to remove the unit. When contractors give you problems, your state or county’s Consumer Protection Department is there and the service is free. Your tax dollars pay for this and these fine people know how to put the pressure on dead beats. Additionally, a permanent record of your complaint is maintained so that other consumers checking on a contractor will be made aware of the problems you encountered. This is a good place for you to check before hiring a contractor.