Consumer Reviews of SEARS central air conditioners

Read more about SEARS central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-06-04 Name: Rob
Location: Richardson TX

"Kenmore Cental AC service"
All I can say is what a freaking joke of an operation . Sears "authorized" contactor. Ex carnival worker at best did our installation April 2011 . After unpacking his tools and equipment he realized he picked up the wrong unit and said he would need to head to the shop and get a new one. No problem, can't fault the man for that. The part numbers are very close, again no big deal . So he cut out our old unit and started to load it into his truck, are you kidding me ??? First you did not even ask if you could take it, 2nd you took down our air knowing you did not have the parts to reinstall. He clearly wanted to make it to the scrap yard before closing on that Saturday for a quick $300.00 in scrap metal. After he unloading it and headed to get the right equipment he showed back up 4 hours later. All he did was a half ass job, it was so bad the next tech spent 8+ hours to fix it. Now one year later the coils are freezing because the ex-carnie only put enough freon in it to get it working, or his solder joints are as holey as his teeth . Now it is out of warranty , the Sears guy today wanted $225.00 labor + $ 200.00 to add the freon it should have had. I questioned him about it and asked him to call his office . He gave me the number and while I was calling Sears, the tech jumped in his van and took off. After two hours on the phone they can't get a tech back out for two days. Who the f is running this place ???? I have never had a problem with Sears, it is the people that are contractors that use the Sears name since people trust Sears. Now these jokers cannot get back out to add freon for two or more days. What happened to my appointment, the guys was here for 3 minutes and darted out. I am not waiting another two days to get jerked around again by these crooks. Had another company here within an hour,and added 5 pounds of freon. The coil is leaking freon. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH SEARS FOR ANYTHING AGAIN

Date created: 2012-06-02 Name: jj long
Location: Nyack, NY

"Sears Sales tactics"
I would classify Sears sales process as a "Dog and pony" show. Sales people come in and spend an hour running power-point slides preparing you for a sticker shock. You will get to learn history of Sears and what makes them so great. Of course this greatness will come with a price tag that is typically 20-30% higher than one would expect. At the end they will try to sweeten a deal by one time $500 offer which is good for today only. Finally I was told by salesman 'Sears is not for everyone', whatever that means. Save your time and money, Find a reputable hvac service company and you will certainly do better.
Date created: 2012-05-30 Name: Paul Ater
Location: Redwood City, CA

"Rip Off"
I just want to comment on the sales process of a home-installation for an air-conditioning system by Sears. Sears basically gets to your home first by responding almost instantaneously when you contact them. They set up an appointment quickly, and then come to your house and tell you this is the best deal you're going to get because they know what all the installers charge. If you accept their offer, you get a $500+ credit. If you don't it's gone forever. Don't buy into this sales pitch! They are basically keeping you from contacting other contractors that will do the job for considerably less. We received an offer of $5,900 for a job that Sears offered to us at $7,200. Our installer is from a company that is the oldest and perhaps the most dependable in our area. When he did our estimate, he actually looked at every room and climbed around our attic taking measurements of everything he needed to give us a good estimate. Sears did none of that. He simply looked up what a/c unit we needed and then pulled an estimate from that. Another sad thing about Sears is that as far as I know they contract out their work to independent installers. Which means they simply take a cut as a middle- man which is probably why they charge so much and come in so aggressively with their sales pitches. So if you're considering contacting Sears, at the very least have an estimate done by another company first so you have something to compare it with. But my advice is to stay clear of them. All they do is try to sell you the Sears name at way too high of a price.
Date created: 2012-04-16 Name: Valerie
Location: Copperas Cove, TX

"Will NEVER Do Business With SEARS Again"
We were lied to by the Sears salesmen to begin with. They told us we would get a system that required very little maintenance and would clean our air better, and we could control the temp while we were away on vacation through the computer because the thermostat would have an SD card. When the contractor came out to install it, he said no such thing exists. That same summer our A/C started leaking water underneath. A tech came out and said we needed to clean it out by putting clr in the drain because it was probably backing up. We did that and it still leaked. He came out a couple more times and didn't seem to know a whole heck of a lot about the system. Then when winter came the heat wasn't putting out heat. So the guy came out 3 times before finally replacing the thermostat. Then we asked again about what if the A/C started leaking again? He said to call Sears and tell them the unit was not working at all. Otherwise Sears wouldn't do anything. We called and the guy came out again and said that he didn't know why it was leaking so the original installers had to come back out and reinstall it. It is now 2 years later and we've been waiting for 2 weeks and have been stood up 3 times and nobody has come to look at or fix our problem. We've just about every department Sears has and get the run around every time. Now we were promised the contractor would come out today and that we were the first call. It is now 2:39pm and the contractor called at the time he was supposed to show up supposedly and said his kid has a baseball game and he won't be able to make it. This is crap! We are soooo pissed that we want them to rip out the stupid thing and give us our money back. We've been through so much crap with this system that our next step is a lawsuit!!!
Date created: 2011-08-12 Name: H. Helman
Location: Sacramento, CA

"They put the CUSS is customer service"
I scheduled to have a Sears hvac Pro come to our house for an inspection to determine why our ac unit wasn't working. I scheduled a visit between 8-12 in the morning and had my mother come over to help with the baby so I could assist him if needed. He never showed up or even called for the whole 4 hours! We went to the park to get some fresh air and returned to find a "Sorry I missed you" tag on the door, timestamped 12:20. I decided to not go with Sears and called a different company. The next morning I am in the middle of nursing my baby and get a phone call from the Sears guy saying he is en route to my house?! I told him to forget it, I did not request with Sears for him to return so why was he just randomly showing up at my house? He had no answer and I hung up. If I cannot even get someone from Sears at my house in a professional manner, I can just imagine what kind of job they'd do. Ugh!
Date created: 2011-06-01 Location: Detroit, MI

"My Air Conditioner"
I have had my Sears Air Conditioner for about 10 years now and I have I love it! It is been amazing to me and my family. We use it all year around with the exception of winter of course. It makes our house cool down within 15 minutes of turning it on which is a huge plus. Also, it is very specific about what tempature it makes it if we say 72 it goes to 72. It has almost never failed besides when I dropped a hammer on it. The only thing I dislike is the size of it. It makes it tough to move if need be. I repaired it once, because I dropped my hammer on it leaving a huge dent in it. The Sears people were so nice they came out within a day and fixed it very cheap. I would recommend this to anyone who needs air.
Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: Joe
Location: Peabody, MA

"Nightmare"
Sears installed mis-matched coil and air handlers as they apparently under bid the cost of the central ac system for my house, then couldn't fit the correct size unit in my attic. Without telling me, they installed mismatched (4 ton coil; 3.5 ton air handler); later installed freeze stat switch when system wouldn't work; needed visit from the electrical inspector to find out what they had been up to. Paid for system and extended warranty which was never honored. They walked away from train wreck. Needs to be completely replaced.
Date created: 2011-03-02 Name: C. Huberfeld
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Best Quality For The $"
I bought a Kenmore 17 SEER a/c to replace a Trane that was only 6 years old but was apparently dead (Trane uses aluminum coils, so the tech said -- aluminum can't be soldered) and couldn't be fixed for under $2000. When the Sears salesman came out he didn't try to sell me the most expensive system, but the one that best met my needs. He did a load calculation to determine the size a/c I need and recommended some ductwork fixes. In the end I spent about 10% more than other contractors but I got a great system that is much cheaper to run than my Trane was! And the ductwork fixes mean my bedroom is now as cool as the rest of the house. I would highly recommend Sears and will use them again for other home improvements.
Date created: 2011-02-22 Name: Carol Heckelmann
Location: Lakewood, NJ

"SLOPPY TECHNICIANS"
After finally installing my AC unit and other equipment up to code in my utility room, the installers left the room filthy. There was black soot all over the room and pieces of materials left by installers. Installers also walked through my house and left black soot on my carpets and in my bathroom. Didn't even bother to try to clean up. Never again will I use Sears or their installers.
Date created: 2010-11-27 Name: Kim
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Will not trust Sears name again"
We purchased a very nice and expensive Sears central AC unit since we trusted the Sears name versus other companies. It cost more but we thought we were purchasing a guarantee with the Sears name. About 3 months after the install, our new AC unit caused water to back up into our air ducts and part of our CEILING COLLAPSED! We had water damage and had to replace carpeting, hardwood, the ceiling, lighting,and the chandelier. We were out of our home for 2 months while they attempted to put it back into its original condition. It has now been over a year since the incident and we are still trying to have someone take responsibility for the AC unit malfunction. Sears blames the installer (by the way, Sears contracts their AC installation to outside contractors so Sears does not take responsibility for their work!!! What is the difference between installing through Sears if they do not even do the work? We might as well install through another company then!) and the installer of course does not take responsibility. So no one is paying for the incident. We have had to deal with this ourselves. Unbelievable. We are extremely disappointed with the way Sears handled this and will NEVER purchase a Sears item again. No wonder the company is not doing well anymore. We cannot trust the Sears name if they do not take responsibility for their product or work.