Consumer Reviews of SEARS central air conditioners

Read more about SEARS central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: Dude

"What a JOKE!!!"
I was expecting more of Sears. The man who visited my home thought we were fools who would fall for their PowerPoint presentation on why Sears is the best. Just like Home Depot's clowns. Then he finally went ahead and calculated what we needed for our house and proceeded to quote us 3 times the amount we were quoted from other contractors! Then they call me the next day and they want to come waste my time again to give a more "aggressive" price. The answer was no!! Last time I deal with Sears...

Date created: 2012-09-12 Name: Tyrone Trebble

"If You Value Your Sanity Stay Away From Sears"
Although this incident happened during my deployment, it was in 2006 when I had Sears install this lg piece of junk. To make a long story short, it stopped working 2006 to 2010. So I finally had threaten Sears with a lawsuit for them to replace it with Mitsubishi model which works well. I also got assistance from one the managers who serve in Iraq with me. He made the call to take that junk out of my house.

Date created: 2012-09-01 Name: Shea1031
Location: Staten Island

"Run...Run Away as fast as you can!!!"
You will be sorry if you buy from Sears. The salesperson Bob A. Who deals with Staten Island is a big phony. He's your best friend till the deal is made then you will never hear from him again. The installer (Bella Air Conditioning)installed it wrong, Sears wanted them to come back and review it, after many phone calls to corporate office they sent another company, who had to fix it. I called customer service because my unit which was over 11k didn't come with a filter. Are you kidding me?? A filter?? Really??? Sears said they would send one out.....20 days later no filter. Just called back, no record of first phone call. Simply the worst!!!

Date created: 2012-08-08 Name: Tamiko

"Bad Company"
Sears is the worst company to buy and to have services, they always make appointments so far in the month that if it is excessively hot or cold you will be dead by the time they come to your house and they charge double compared to other companies that it will come to your house the same day or next day. The same in buying a new system they charge double the amount that anybody else and they do a bad job that breaks after a year of purchase, I recommend everybody to never buy anything from Sears they are a ripoff, everything falls apart after a year of purchase, when you call to ask for them to fix the problem they make you wait in the phone for a long time and they transfer you for line to line to tell you they are not going to fix the problem.

Date created: 2012-07-20 Name: j. smith
Location: York, PA

"18 Month interest free central air promotion"
Beware of the "return visit" from Sears. First they give you an inflated price on the first visit, then call you with an offer for a big discount if you let them come back for a 2nd visit...the catch is they will not offer you the 18 months interest free on the new discounted price.

Date created: 2012-07-03 Name: Mike F.
Location: Sacramento, CA

"Horrible a/c unit and repair service"
I am renting a house that has an older central a/c unit that has broken down literally 10 times in the 2 years I've lived here. It's under warranty and I suppose they don't want to replace the unit, so Sears continues to come out and fix it when I call, but then it seems to break down again. 3 times it broke within a week of being so called fixed and it's never worked more than a month straight during the hot months without requiring a tech to come fix it. This year it stopped working, so I called and they told me they'd be out after a 4 day wait, but then when no one showed on said date they lied and said the apt was for the next day. When that day (today) came I made sure to call them to assure myself that a tech was actually coming and they confirmed he'd be here, then later in the evening they called to tell me that the tech had left for the day and I have to wait 2 more days to have a/c in the 100 degree weather I'm in! The techs don't keep appointments, the people they hire to run the phones are mentally slow and can't get my name right (3 different customer reps have asked me who they are speaking with and I tell them Michael F. About 20 seconds later they call me Mr. Hunt who's the owner of the warranty lol.)let alone set a repair appointment. I will never buy anything from Sears again they have the worst customer service ever coupled with poor products that they refuse to replace.

Date created: 2012-06-07 Name: Stef
Location: Weston, NE

"I will never step foot in a Sears store again!!"
My parents purchased a central a/c unit in 2010. It came with a defective a coil which got replaced. It isn't working again because of another defective a coil. The company will not cover the labor portion of replacing the defective part. They talked my dad into buying a $500 warranty to cover the labor. What a scam!! They send out defective parts and then talk people into pouring more money into their company. Kemore/Sears should be required to cover labor. Recalled parts on a vehicle cover labor costs...how can an appliance company not be required to cover them??

Date created: 2012-06-04 Name: Rob
Location: Richardson TX

"Kenmore Cental AC service"
All I can say is what a freaking joke of an operation . Sears "authorized" contactor. Ex carnival worker at best did our installation April 2011 . After unpacking his tools and equipment he realized he picked up the wrong unit and said he would need to head to the shop and get a new one. No problem, can't fault the man for that. The part numbers are very close, again no big deal . So he cut out our old unit and started to load it into his truck, are you kidding me ??? First you did not even ask if you could take it, 2nd you took down our air knowing you did not have the parts to reinstall. He clearly wanted to make it to the scrap yard before closing on that Saturday for a quick $300.00 in scrap metal. After he unloading it and headed to get the right equipment he showed back up 4 hours later. All he did was a half ass job, it was so bad the next tech spent 8+ hours to fix it. Now one year later the coils are freezing because the ex-carnie only put enough freon in it to get it working, or his solder joints are as holey as his teeth . Now it is out of warranty , the Sears guy today wanted $225.00 labor + $ 200.00 to add the freon it should have had. I questioned him about it and asked him to call his office . He gave me the number and while I was calling Sears, the tech jumped in his van and took off. After two hours on the phone they can't get a tech back out for two days. Who the f is running this place ???? I have never had a problem with Sears, it is the people that are contractors that use the Sears name since people trust Sears. Now these jokers cannot get back out to add freon for two or more days. What happened to my appointment, the guys was here for 3 minutes and darted out. I am not waiting another two days to get jerked around again by these crooks. Had another company here within an hour,and added 5 pounds of freon. The coil is leaking freon. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH SEARS FOR ANYTHING AGAIN

Date created: 2012-06-02 Name: jj long
Location: Nyack, NY

"Sears Sales tactics"
I would classify Sears sales process as a "Dog and pony" show. Sales people come in and spend an hour running power-point slides preparing you for a sticker shock. You will get to learn history of Sears and what makes them so great. Of course this greatness will come with a price tag that is typically 20-30% higher than one would expect. At the end they will try to sweeten a deal by one time $500 offer which is good for today only. Finally I was told by salesman 'Sears is not for everyone', whatever that means. Save your time and money, Find a reputable hvac service company and you will certainly do better.

Date created: 2012-05-30 Name: Paul Ater
Location: Redwood City, CA

"Rip Off"
I just want to comment on the sales process of a home-installation for an air-conditioning system by Sears. Sears basically gets to your home first by responding almost instantaneously when you contact them. They set up an appointment quickly, and then come to your house and tell you this is the best deal you're going to get because they know what all the installers charge. If you accept their offer, you get a $500+ credit. If you don't it's gone forever. Don't buy into this sales pitch! They are basically keeping you from contacting other contractors that will do the job for considerably less. We received an offer of $5,900 for a job that Sears offered to us at $7,200. Our installer is from a company that is the oldest and perhaps the most dependable in our area. When he did our estimate, he actually looked at every room and climbed around our attic taking measurements of everything he needed to give us a good estimate. Sears did none of that. He simply looked up what a/c unit we needed and then pulled an estimate from that. Another sad thing about Sears is that as far as I know they contract out their work to independent installers. Which means they simply take a cut as a middle- man which is probably why they charge so much and come in so aggressively with their sales pitches. So if you're considering contacting Sears, at the very least have an estimate done by another company first so you have something to compare it with. But my advice is to stay clear of them. All they do is try to sell you the Sears name at way too high of a price.