Consumer Reviews of SEARS central air conditioners

Read more about SEARS central air conditioners

Date created: 2017-09-15 Name: L. Shap
Location: South Ozone Park, NY

"NEVER GOT PAST CONTRACT"
Had salesperson come to house. Went through everything. Came up with a quote - was told I would be contacted within a few days. Well within a few days they came to measure - the contractor had no idea of what was to be done and the existing unit. He left saying we needed an additional piece of equipment. After two weeks of calling, leaving messages finally was told they were looking into getting a part. Another week of calling - no response - finally today was told they cannot get the part so...............of curse for $5000.00 more they can replace the entire thing bringing the price to approximately $17,000. I'd rather buy a car and sleep in it for that price.

Date created: 2017-09-06 Name: T. Mullen
Location: Chicago, IL

"Ancient Sears AC is a workhorse"
We bought a Sears central air conditioner kit in 1972. It came in 3 packages - condenser, evaporator and tubing. It was sold to be installed by the homeowner, and was extremely easy to do. Took me about a day. We have never had a service problem with this unit. Never. It has worked flawlessly for 45 years now and is still going strong. We have looked at getting a new, more efficient unit, but have been told they only last 10 to 15 years. Just can't give up the ultra-reliable Sears unit. It proves that American manufacturers can make excellent equipment if they want to do so.

Date created: 2017-08-17 Name: Dave
Location: Houston, TX

"Never Your Best Option"
Had a Sears rep out to bid/sell an ac replacement. Needed a 5 ton, 16 seer unit with air handler/heater. No duct work or electrical work required. Just remove 20 year old existing unit and put in efficient new unit, simple enough.The rep was prompt (ahead of schedule) professional and very friendly. Appeared knowledgeable as well.That's all that can be said was positive about the experience. I was high balled on the price and offered 12 months interest free financing on a project over $10 K. Of course I did my homework and found another reputable company to do the install $1,500 cheaper with 36 months financing at zero interest. When I brought this to the attention of the Sears rep, the response I got wowed me. I was offered a "price match" and 24 months interest free financing. Obviously I stuck with the "other guy" and the 36 months. Bottom line, Sears should have come to the table with a "good deal" to begin with instead of making a potential customer feel they are being taken advantage of. As the saying goes, always get several quotes on projects, big or small and Sears is not likely to ever be your best option. They are definitely not the company they once were. They lost sight of customer service values and I witnessed it first hand with my recent encounter.

Date created: 2016-10-14 Name: Edwina Goode
Location: Newberry Springs, CA

"Ignoring service calls"
Sears does not stand by its air conditioning products. We had air conditioning put in 11 months ago and this summer its performance was horrible. We sat here with air conditing, sweating because it didn't cool off the house. This was central air conditioning we had installed. The first time we called someone came out and did nothing and was annoyed to have to come. He was rude while here and told us that this may be the best we'll get. We called again over and over and they kept saying they would get back to us, but didn't. We had a second problem in that the air conditioning would not turn off. No one has ever gotten back to us and of course no one came out. We asked for someone different than the first person who came out. We don't know why they won't tell us why we are being ignored. We are senior citizens.

Date created: 2016-09-30 Name: Brad
Location: Omaha, NE

"Untruthful sales person - bad company"
Don't waste your time with this company. They subcontract everything and lie about other companies to scare you into doing business with them. Worst I've ever seen.

Date created: 2016-08-11 Name: Tasha
Location: Danielsville, GA

"Buyer beware"
Bought a unit and paid $13,000 for it. It doesn't work. Several repair calls later and an entire summer sweating and still no resolution. Customer service is terrible. They don't stand by their product and it's no wonder because it's awful. Don't buy a product from them. You will regret it!

Date created: 2016-05-20 Name: W. Saber
Location: Southboroug, MA

"Would never use again and will never recommend"
Bought an AC unit. They requested we pay in full before installation. The system never worked. Have been trying to fix it for the last 6 months. They send low quality techs who spend the whole day without being able to figure out what's wrong. Incredibly low quality and poor service!

Date created: 2015-09-28 Location: California

"A Review Of My Central Air Conditioner"
How long you've owned your air conditioner: For approximately 6 years. What you like about it: I live in California so central air is a must. It cools the entire house, instead of having to settle for a portable fan or a ceiling fan that is restricted to just one room. What you dislike about it: I do not like how long it takes to actually kick in and start cooling. First a little fan comes on, not sure what it's doing, then about 7 minutes later the full system kicks in and starts cooling. I would like to start cooling the minute I turn it on. If you have ever had to repair or replace it -- why did it need to be repaired, after how many years, how the repair went, etc.: I installed this one because the last one we had eventually gave out. The last one was the original one that came with the house when built and purchased in the 1970's. Would you buy the same brand again or recommend it to a friend? I would buy the same brand. Sears is always good, but not the same model since it does not kick in and start to cool the house right away.

Date created: 2014-07-03 Name: Linda Paulin
Location: Manalapan, NJ

"Nightmare AC system with Sears"
Do not ever use Sears to install a central air conditioner system. From the moment it was installed, it has not been working. They refuse to change it. System costs us more than $5000. We may be forced to take them to court. The thermostat reading does not go beyond 80. We are very upset. I wish my husband had read these reviews before contracting them.

Date created: 2013-07-18 Name: SVJ

"Poor Service"
I posted a complaint on several website and some asked if I would like someone to call me about the issue. I said yes and I have not heard from a single person.