Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Rick
Location: S. Florida

"Runs Great"
Have a Rudd 3.5 Ton unit that replaced a Bryant (lasted 5 years 3 compressors)and a Rheem (lasted 5 years numerous leaks. Have never had it serviced and it continue to run like new. Cools my 2,000 sf home in S. Florida year round (never use heat). It is a great unit, however, when I replace it I will not be doing so with a Rudd since it is not an American owned company anymore. Susidary of a company based in Japan.

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Maryann

"Review"
Our unit is not that powerful and is noisy. We bought our house new and have lived there for 8 and a half years. For the past three years, we have been adding freon due to a small leak. The core now needs to be replaced at a cost of $3,700.00. We do not want to keep this system due to the poor quality.

Date created: 2009-05-11 Name: Corey

"5 Ton Ruud"
We have a 5 ton Ruud unit that was supposed to replace a dismal experience with a similar Trane. While this experience has been better than that of the Trane, which isn't saying much, this Ruud unit floods the pan at random times shutting off the a/C. So I drain the water out of the pan and flush the line again, which is never clogged, but it makes me feel like I am doing something! A/c works again until it pukes out tons of water and we repeat the process. We have had the pan replaced, numerous service calls, unit leveling, new drain lines, etc. Still leaks and floods the pan shutting off the A/C. UGH! Moreover, the compressor outside has gotten so loud the neighbors have begun to complain about the noise. We have had it looked at and even contacted Ruud. They basically said sorry for ya...cough up the cash and replace the compressor. On the positive side, when it works, it blows very cold air and cools down the house in a hurry. I'm here reading posts because I have once again reached my threshold of pain and am going to have it ripped out of the house...

Date created: 2009-03-21 Name: RUUD
Location: South Louisiana

"17 Years Old and Still Running Well"
My ruud centaral ac and heat pump unit was installed when my house was built 17 years ago and is still running well! It has survived several hurricanes and many hot humid summers here in South Louisiana. Last year I had to have freon added because of a very slow leak that has developed. I will probably be replacing my old unit with a more energy efficient and updated ruud sometime this year. I hope the new one performs as well as this one has!

Date created: 2009-02-23 Name: Steve
Location: Houston, TX

"Ruud working good in Houston"
Had a Ruud 4-ton, 12 seer complete system installed in my house July 4th 2004. The unit works great and we consistently have the lowest electric bills when compared to my neighbors with similar size homes. I researched central A/C systems and they are the sum of 4 sepearate components that need to matches and meshed together to work properly. Outdoor unit, indoor coil, indoor blower and duct work. The best contractors understand this and take a systems approach when quoting a job. The key to a good install is interviewing the contractor and not so much the brand he backs.

Date created: 2009-02-04 Name: D. Zimmer

"12 Year old Rudd being replaced"
Never had a problem with the unit. I am purchasing a new energy efficent seer 14-current unit is a seer 10.

Date created: 2008-12-23 Name: R. Minor
Location: Tampa, FL

"R. Miller"
I had a new Ruud installed by Ocean Air it Tampa in July of 06 and have problems every since. Burnt out breaker that they just took out and hard wired. It is constantly breaking down in the summer. Now its Dec 23 and I have no heat. Company that installed it is booked (fixing other ruuds no doubt) and can't come out untill Dec.26th. I guess we're just supposed to freeze over Christmas. Good thing at least Im in Florida. Won't cool, won't heat, won't buy another one.

Date created: 2008-12-08 Name: S. CEPPA
Location: Cape Coral, FL

"Rudd 3.5 ton compresser leaking 8 years old"
I can't believe my Ruude 3.5 ton went bad after 8 years. I had other units that lasted 15 with no problems, it's shameful.

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: Magda Roberts
Location: Houston, TX

"Stay away from Rudd !"
I replaced the original builder installed Trane unit with a Rudd 7 years ago. Since installation we had several problems with it including electrical issues and burned breakers. They repaired it at least two or three times a year since I bought it. Now the compressor is not working and the agent that install the unit is telling me they only last five to seven years. The prior Trane originally installed by the builder lasted twelve years ! I live in Houston and we cannot survive summer without A/C. I will trust Sears next to install a new unit and I will stay away from Rudd.

Date created: 2008-08-20 Name: Teresa Adams
Location: Athens, AL

"Trouble with this unit every since we purchased it."
One year after we bought this unit we started having trouble with it. We have had leaks repaired in the coil twice, and now it needs repairing again. We had so much trouble with getting the company that installed it to come and check it. They finally came one year after they installed it, and put gas in it. They said that they probably just didn't put enough in it when they installed it. That was not the case, because we had it checked the next year, and they found a leak in the coil. This was not the same company that came and fixed the leak. We have had 3 different companies come to check it. It is so hard to get someone to come to check it. The man at the company that repaired the coil said that it was in warranty, but he could fix it, and it would be the same as new. He was wrong. We now have another leak in another place in the coil. Now it is out of warranty. We have paid about $700.00 having the leaks fixed, and gas put in it. Now they tell us they will charge $750.00 for another coil. I would not recommend this brand at all.