Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-09-28 Name: James Rahrig

"Problems from day 1"
From the first year there was a coolant leak in the main coil of the air handler. So many soldered joints, it's no surprise. The a/c installer charged up the system and told me to call for a replacement if there was a future problem, and when I did the company had gone out of business. Now the compressor has failed - just out of warranty. Thanks for nothing, RUUD.

Date created: 2009-09-17 Name: Don

"Very Pleased"
After reviewing air conditioners, Ruud was the best one. So I purchased one 15 years ago and installed it on my previous house. I used it for eight years without any problems. It was also very quit due to the special bearings. I recently purchased a new home with an Armstrong A/C. Even though I have not had any problems, I do not trust it. It is very noisy in general.

Date created: 2009-08-23 Name: Mary Lewis

"Replacing old unit"
I searched for the best kind of airconditioner unit and found ruud was the best one. Rated number one. Is that my best choice to replace my old one with.

Date created: 2009-08-15 Name: Kyle

"34 years before it died!!!!!"
My ac unit just died today. The compressor finally went out on the "ole gurl". I called a service tech out thinking it might just need a shot of freon, but later found out the compressor had locked up. This unit has a manufacturer label on it that dates it back to 1974. Yes, that's 34 years old!!!! I lived here 6 years and have had to have some freon added to the unit a couple times. I don't know if I'll replace the unit with another Ruud because of them being a foreign owned company now, but man did they make a great American product 34 years ago!

Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Gerald Jensen

"Ruud Ultra = LEMON"
We are very dissatisfied with this system. We have had no air conditioning for 5 days (August 2009) during a very warm and humid spell, and the company that installed it is still waiting for parts. The problem appears to be a pressure valve, and the technician said this was the fourth one he had run into this year. Though we thought we were getting a state-of-the-art, energy-saving, trouble-free system, this is the fourth major problem or system failure in fourteen months. Defective fittings caused it to flood the crawl space under our house. This occurred right after it was installed (June 2008), and it took us 6 weeks to get the musty, mildew smell out and dry out the crawl space. When the heatring season began, we discovered the humidifier didn't work (improper installation). This spring (2009), we had no air for a week or so earlier in the season due to what was thought to be a compressor problem. When the parts came in, the technician checked it and couldn't find a problem with the old compressor! By contrast, aside from having to replace a couple of igniters, we never had a problem with our nearly 20-year old Comfortmaker. Don't buy a Ruud.

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: Dave C
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Extremely reliable units"
I live in phoenix arizona, and like it cool in the house. I have a 2 story house, and 2 ruud units, one for each floor. I am amazed at how reliable they have been for me, in arizona, the summer temps exceed 110 often, and they just keep going and going. I was told by an ac guy that ruud sucked in 1997 and that my units would likely not last long, and suggested of course I buy his brand (carrier). I must say, 12 years after telling me that, they are still functioning very well, all I do is maintain them (clean coils, etc) and use electrostatic filter which I clean often.

Date created: 2009-08-07 Name: Charles Wolfe

"I Have been Taken"
I replaced my central air in summer of 2008. The service man worked on it for 2 days to get it to run. Since then he has been back 6 times and it is out agan. Now he wont return my calls. Dont buy these things they are junk.

Date created: 2009-07-12 Name: M. Doan

"Disgusted with Ruud"
We built a new home in 2002 and was told by a heat/air man that Ruud was the brand to go with. Had trouble with the heating unit first.Then constantly having problems with the outside unit. Every year that we've owned it, we have had to have maintenance done on it. Between leaks that it develops, wires burning up, motor going out, would not recommend this brand (Ruud).

Date created: 2009-07-11 Name: Robert Halpern

"So far no problems"
Replaced Comfortmaker contractor unit this year after 8 years. The unit for the top floor was attached to the basement, and the line was crimped so the unit always was on, and we never were cool. Best estimate was for the Ruud 3 ton 16 seer, 3 thousand less than Trane. So far we are very comfortable, and the unit has been running in the low stage only.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: H. Yardly

"Ruud Review"
Had brand new outside unit installed June 22, 2009. Had to have new coil because old coil was not compatible with new freon. Unit was turned on at 4 pm. and thermostat set at 69. At 6 pm it had never cycled off. We are having high 90 degree weather. Our former Carrier Unit cycled on and off and cooled our house much better. Our installer suggests that we just let it run. He says we need more insulation in attic. Nothing changed except the outside unit and the new coil installed in the basement part of the unit. Helpful hints will be appreciated.