Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-09-04 Name: Frank Jasiewicz
Location: Orlando Fl

"Ruud Ultra"
A/C broke down again on Labor day weekend. It never fails. Just out of warranty by 3 months. First, the A/c has such a hard time trying to cool the house during daytime hours. Has broke down 3 times, once circuit board, once for circuit breaker in handler, now needs a new fan motor in compressor. By now I could have bought another unit.

Date created: 2011-08-05 Name: M.C. brooks
Location: Albany, GA

"Program a motor"
After 3 years in a house nay used 6 months of the year the moor went out. Keep in mind the heat index is 115 degrees in South Georgia a rush order( an additional $80) has now taken 6 days from original order date. Not only is the unit unreliable, the part had to be "programmed" before it could be shipped. So the service is as reliable as the unit. I would urge others to find another brand. My last ac nit lasted 20 years; the Ruud.... not even 20 months
Date created: 2011-08-04 Name: Stan C
Location: The Texas Hill Country

"Our old unit / our new unit"
Our old 2.5 ton unit has lasted 25 years before it started puking water because of clogged coils. It was trouble free up to this point. We bought another 2.5 ton Rudd and paid the extra $250 for the more efficient motor, which actually appears to be inclusive of 2x's the amount of evap coils on the outside unit. Both units have a 10 year warranty. It runs much quieter and pulls more air through the filter so changing it every month may be necessary. After reading the rating it seemed obvious that having trained, knowledgeable installers would avoid a lot of problems so we went to an established local dealer. We discovered the problem on Sunday. The new unit was up and running by Wednesday afternoon.
Date created: 2011-07-19 Name: Louis
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

"The worst"
This is by far the worst ac system I have ever seen. The unit always has something wrong, takes forever to cool down, super extremely inefficient, and it's time to replace it. Has no longevity, and extremely expensive to run. I bought it new 8 years ago. My contractor was excellent, but if he doesn't have something other than Ruud, he is S.O.L on this next unit.
Date created: 2011-07-15 Name: CE
Location: Stephenville, Texas

"Not for Texas"
Will not keep you cool in the Texas heat. Have one home unit 7 years old and one commercial unit. They both cool at night but do not cut it in the afternoon. Residential had replaced a York with same BTUs -- within a week they had to put in a larger unit. Still not getting the job done. Service guys frustrated -- they say it is doing all it will do. Do not buy Ruud.
Date created: 2011-07-07 Name: todd pauls
Location: madison

"Very Poor Quality"
5 years old and the compressor went out. $1250 stay away from this throw away brand.
Date created: 2011-06-27 Name: L. Brown
Location: San Dimas, CA

"My Amana is better than my old Ruud"
I pulled out my Ruud air conditioning unit and furnace and installed a larger Amana furnace and air conditioning unit what a difference. More quiet, more cool and more heat. Sad my Ruud was only 6 years old and never performed and made so much noise I felt sorry for my neighbors. Buy an Amana, you'll be glad you did.
Date created: 2011-06-16 Location: Sacramento, CA

"Ruud Air Conditioning -- a VERY reliable brand!"
I have owned my Ruud Air Conditioner for more than nine years. I have been VERY satisfied with it. It has consistently cooled(and heated in winter) our home in a timely manner. We have only had to have one repair in all these years. Last summer the air conditioner needed to have its Motor Run Capacitor replaced. It was a fairly inexpensive part to replace, and so simple that we were talked through the changing of the part over the phone by a knowledgeable friend!! The summers here get VERY hot, and it is important to my family to be able to cool the house quickly, and to keep it cool. Our Ruud does that well! The first few years owning this air conditioner our house was not insulated well, but it still did the job! And after all these years, I see no sign of it slowing down. I would very confidently recommend the Ruud Air Conditioner to a friend!
Date created: 2011-06-10 Name: Brian Hicks
Location: Kentucky

"RUUD is RUDE during the winter"
Very satisfied with the cool & heat. Not satisfied with the harmonic noise-- ONLY-- in the winter when the heat is on? Could this be a problem with the indoor coil? Or, could it be that furniture is blocking my return vents upstairs? I have a ranch style home with a basement & the RUUD unit is centrally located in the basement. I read a review from ROY THOMPON in Texas. His review apprised me of the return vents were not pulling accurately. Could this be a problem for a lot of home owners who are unaware of this scenario? I like my RUUD AC & although the noise in the winter is annoying, I can deal with it. I would have a difficult time rearranging the furniture due to the return vent locations. Give me some feedback on this. I've been on my installers case for 2 years. He thinks I need a new coil. The FERGUSON distributor in LOUISVILLE is apparently hard to deal with according to my installer- STACEY FAULKNER. He is a good guy who is frustrated with the Ferguson Co. I would have to wait till winter to do the rearranging of the furniture since the heat will not be used until then. Please respond if you have any of my RUUD symptoms. Thanks Brian.
Date created: 2011-06-07 Name: Thomas Twombly
Location: Nashville TN

"Very Satisfied"
We have had this unit for 14 years. We did have it properly serviced and cleaned every year. We have had very reasonable utility bills. During the yearly service, the unit has never needed freon to be added. It is also very quiet. It has never needed to be repaired. The unit was retired due to a broken heat exchanger after 14 years of reliable service. We are very pleased with this unit.