Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: Gary James

""Buyer Beware" RUUD ultra"
I purchased an 18 plus seer Ruud Ultra system from ecm h/c in South Florida eight months ago. After 2 weeks, I came home to a hot house. The ecm technician came out and said the thermostat was bad. Two weeks later, the same thing happened. a message scrolled on the thermostat telling me to check ac and call for service. Technicians returned a few more times and in December removed and replaced the entire coil and additional sensors. After the coldest winter in Florida's recent history, I turned the unit back on to receive the same message. ecm returns and tells me the unit is experiencing a high voltage problem to call the power company and electrician. After having the power company and a master electrician check my power, they determined the power to my house was fine. ecm tells me Ruud says the unit is fine and their salesman who had at one time told me how patient I was will not answer or return my recent calls regarding this piece of junk. So much for the ecm no lemon policy. It seems that the manufacturer will not take responsibility and the dealer wants to dance around the subject while there was no problem cashing my check when the unit was purchased. I now have no trust whatever in both the manufacturer or the dealer.

Date created: 2010-04-04 Name: Jim Sheridan

"Ruud HVAC"
After 7 years, I have to replace my whole unit. I was told by the original installer that I have a leak in the compressor and leaks in the inside coil unit. Total cost $1600. The year before, I spent $600 to replace 2 parts in the compressor. The installer dyes left me high and dry by saying they could not help me but they would sell me a new one. I am very disappointed at the poor service and equipment Ruud sold me. I still have it so if you want to check out my complaint, plus the bill from last year. Why don't you stand by your product?

Date created: 2010-03-21 Name: Larry Michelson

"Very Satisified"
I have owned a Tall Ruud Central Air Conditioning system for 16 years. Two years ago, the company I work for started to carry the Ruud Brand. Almost every day someone tells me they love their system. Almost all of the problems that arise with an air conditioning system come from bad planning, wrong equiptment selection, wrong size ducting, bad power supply, poor service, and a bad installing contractor!!!! Get references, buy quality work and enjoy the tax rebates while they last. Ruud is a tremendous product, choose your system and installer wisely. I know I sell it every day!

Date created: 2010-02-15 Name: Dr. Shem K. Akyea

"CONSTANT REPAIRS"
Purchased unit model uand/048jaz of the Ruud Achievers Series in November 2008 through a company by the name Frontier AC & Heating. The first unit installed had to be replaced last summer because it kept shutting off and blowing hot air during the summer of 2009. The unit was defective and simply did not work. The current unit, an exchange since the summer of 2009 worked well until 2 weeks ago. We have since experienced 3 malfunctions!!!! The company that installed the unit is on her way back to my house. I am sorely disappointed. Survisor to say the temperatures this winter in South Texas have been the coldest in a long time and the forecast for tonight isn't any better!!

Date created: 2009-10-11 Name: A.L. WARREN

"A.L. WARREN"
The a/c unit that replaced a perfectly cooling Carrier does not adequately cool my home...I Called to inquire about the cooling problem and the 1000 rebate.The salesman promised a rebate but the owner informed me that 'if it wasn't on the contract it doesn't exist'A furnace was installed at the same time, and the first time it turned on I smelled gas. The gas company told me not to use the heat and call the company. The name of the company is Cummings Plumbing, Tucson

Date created: 2009-09-28 Name: James Rahrig

"Problems from day 1"
From the first year there was a coolant leak in the main coil of the air handler. So many soldered joints, it's no surprise. The a/c installer charged up the system and told me to call for a replacement if there was a future problem, and when I did the company had gone out of business. Now the compressor has failed - just out of warranty. Thanks for nothing, RUUD.

Date created: 2009-09-17 Name: Don

"Very Pleased"
After reviewing air conditioners, Ruud was the best one. So I purchased one 15 years ago and installed it on my previous house. I used it for eight years without any problems. It was also very quit due to the special bearings. I recently purchased a new home with an Armstrong A/C. Even though I have not had any problems, I do not trust it. It is very noisy in general.

Date created: 2009-08-23 Name: Mary Lewis

"Replacing old unit"
I searched for the best kind of airconditioner unit and found ruud was the best one. Rated number one. Is that my best choice to replace my old one with.

Date created: 2009-08-15 Name: Kyle

"34 years before it died!!!!!"
My ac unit just died today. The compressor finally went out on the "ole gurl". I called a service tech out thinking it might just need a shot of freon, but later found out the compressor had locked up. This unit has a manufacturer label on it that dates it back to 1974. Yes, that's 34 years old!!!! I lived here 6 years and have had to have some freon added to the unit a couple times. I don't know if I'll replace the unit with another Ruud because of them being a foreign owned company now, but man did they make a great American product 34 years ago!

Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Gerald Jensen

"Ruud Ultra = LEMON"
We are very dissatisfied with this system. We have had no air conditioning for 5 days (August 2009) during a very warm and humid spell, and the company that installed it is still waiting for parts. The problem appears to be a pressure valve, and the technician said this was the fourth one he had run into this year. Though we thought we were getting a state-of-the-art, energy-saving, trouble-free system, this is the fourth major problem or system failure in fourteen months. Defective fittings caused it to flood the crawl space under our house. This occurred right after it was installed (June 2008), and it took us 6 weeks to get the musty, mildew smell out and dry out the crawl space. When the heatring season began, we discovered the humidifier didn't work (improper installation). This spring (2009), we had no air for a week or so earlier in the season due to what was thought to be a compressor problem. When the parts came in, the technician checked it and couldn't find a problem with the old compressor! By contrast, aside from having to replace a couple of igniters, we never had a problem with our nearly 20-year old Comfortmaker. Don't buy a Ruud.