Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-09-24 Name: Roger Sinclair
Location: Needville Tx.

"JUNK"
I have had this 4.5 ton unit less than 5 yrs and have replaced everything but the compressor in it.I believe ruud should be accountable for selling such pieces of crap.I THINK THEY SHOULD REPLACE IT FOR ALL THE FREON THAT THE AC COMPANY HAS LET OUT IN THE AIR AND MADE ME PAY FOR. BAYOU CITY IN NEEDVILLE TX.

Date created: 2010-09-20 Name: Bruce W.
Location: Bear, De

"A/C compressors"
These units are crap!!!!! Our house was built in late 2005 - early 2006 and never occupied. We bought and moved in late 2007. WE have two zones. Summer 2008 first compressor had to be replaced. Warranty expired on labor since 3 yrs gone since installed although unit used by us for one year. it cost us $900 in labor. Now, late summer 2010, second unit compressor now needs replacing. This time is will be more than $900, again labor, since part still under original warranty. We live in mid-Atlantic area so a/c runs May-Sept at most. Two compressors replaced in 3 years of use = crappy product. First unit compressor was only 3 years old, and hardly used. Second unit compressor was used for only 3 years. How do two compressors need replacing so quickly if Rudd not using inferior product? We have learned from talking to neighbors that some also had to replace their compressors as well. Again, homes in development are less than 5 years old. I would never recommend a Rudd to anyone!!!!!

Date created: 2010-07-06 Name: C. Williams

"They just keep running"
I have two Ruud units that are about 24 years old. Aside from a relay switch, or ants shorting out some circuity in the outside compressor, these units just keep on running. I try to make it a point to clean the coils every three or four years, whether they need it or not. I imagine they are about a Seer 6 or 8, and very inefficient by today's standards, but I certainly hate to replace something that is not broken.

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Liam Donaldson

"Ruud air conditioner failure"
This is a total piece of garbage. Installed in 2008 and has failed to provide cold air every year at the start off summer. I've paid 655 for repairs so far. I'm now told it might be the coil in the furnace that has sprung another leak. They ought to provide the new part but I will have to pay for the labor. If there is a class action lawsuit, I will join that for sure. Or start one. What a lousy crummy product this is. Avoid this product.

Date created: 2010-06-15 Name: Pat Nyberg

"Rudd"
Purchased 4-09. Numerous call back. Leaking thru ceiling, etc. Not cooling, 6-10. Not cooling again. Lost 3 pounds. Two day fix, two visits. Told installer/purchased from wanted new unit. No lemon law. Told "good luck with that". Very disappointed. Would never buy another Ruud. No contact numbers with manufacturer available. What does that tell you? Do your homework before purchasing.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Shelia Hilvers

"Stuck !!! in a Rudd"
For the last 3 yrs. out of 8 yrs, we have had the welds rewelded, coolant leak . Well, said very common??? We have two units. Yes, you have to replace both not one as the coolant does not go into the old unit when buying a new one. Think there's a recall on these???

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: A. l. McGee

"Quality work"
We haved owned this Ruud system for 8 years. This system is great, no trouble at all. Keep your filter changed and have it serviced once a year. In a lot of the reviews I have read, it sounded like some of them are rating the installation and the service they got or didn't get. I would say, look for a quality company to install your HVAC system. Get a contract (and read it) make sure you and your contractor understand all in the contract. You will both be very happy.

Date created: 2010-05-14 Name: Marsha Gulick

"RUUD still going after 20 years"
Another summer is here and the unit is still working. Needs freon but it is still somewhat cooling. Will have annual maintenance done soon, to correct that. Will shop for another Ruud for my mobile home. The contractor wants to put in a Goodman, but you get what you pay for. Goodman is cheap. Happy with Ruud. I don't know who the installer was though.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: Gary James

""Buyer Beware" RUUD ultra"
I purchased an 18 plus seer Ruud Ultra system from ecm h/c in South Florida eight months ago. After 2 weeks, I came home to a hot house. The ecm technician came out and said the thermostat was bad. Two weeks later, the same thing happened. a message scrolled on the thermostat telling me to check ac and call for service. Technicians returned a few more times and in December removed and replaced the entire coil and additional sensors. After the coldest winter in Florida's recent history, I turned the unit back on to receive the same message. ecm returns and tells me the unit is experiencing a high voltage problem to call the power company and electrician. After having the power company and a master electrician check my power, they determined the power to my house was fine. ecm tells me Ruud says the unit is fine and their salesman who had at one time told me how patient I was will not answer or return my recent calls regarding this piece of junk. So much for the ecm no lemon policy. It seems that the manufacturer will not take responsibility and the dealer wants to dance around the subject while there was no problem cashing my check when the unit was purchased. I now have no trust whatever in both the manufacturer or the dealer.

Date created: 2010-04-04 Name: Jim Sheridan

"Ruud HVAC"
After 7 years, I have to replace my whole unit. I was told by the original installer that I have a leak in the compressor and leaks in the inside coil unit. Total cost $1600. The year before, I spent $600 to replace 2 parts in the compressor. The installer dyes left me high and dry by saying they could not help me but they would sell me a new one. I am very disappointed at the poor service and equipment Ruud sold me. I still have it so if you want to check out my complaint, plus the bill from last year. Why don't you stand by your product?