Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-03-01 Name: M. Clark
Location: Cape Coral , FL

"Central Air"
I bought my House and moved in .. in 1990. RUUD system was installed by builder. High Efficiency Unit about 9 SEER I believe.I had problems 2 years ago and had to replace the outside fan motor....cost $ 400.00 and some change because they don't make the motor anymore. 2 ton unit. Technicians kept bleeding off my Freon and charging me for a pound...R-22. System has ran for 21 years with a hard start capacitor and same compressor. South Florida is hot. I want a new Trane but RUUD looks pretty inviting.

Date created: 2011-02-17 Name: Roy Thompson
Location: FortWorth,tx

"Air Handler harmonic sound(correction)"
This Home Owners complaint was dated 01-28-2011.I complained of a Harmonic Sound coming from the blower motor and wheel and blamed the Ruud manufacture of a faulty unit.I want to apoligize to RUUD.The Unit blows Heat an Cools fine.The Harmonic annoying sound was do to the fact the two floor wall return vents were not pulling air equally.Once the obstruction was corrected by the homeowner on discovery the harmonic sound ceased and all is well.I am a proud owner of RUUD AC.I am pleased.

Date created: 2011-01-28 Name: Roy Thompson
Location: FortWorth,TX

"Air Handler--Noisy Harmonic Sound"
Purchased 16 Seer 4tn unit 10-22-2010 for my Two story House.Heat an Air Blows through vents swell.My air handler is inside a hallway closet.The blower wheel and motor were replaced 01-24-2011 Harmonic sound is very annoying,I think a factory Representative should look into this case.I have a $8,000 investment in this purchase.I am not ready to say this is a bad product.I had a 10 seer Ruud since 2003 but was insuffient in cooling the upstairs due to the fact I did not keep the evaporator core clean like I should have an using cheap filters leting dust an lint by which suffocated the core.If it cant breath it wont cool properly.Now back to the main complaint.The motor is turning the blower wheel,their is know vibration but annoying sound persists.I hate calling the contractor back about this time an time again.Help Me RUUD.This product is regitered on their web site as a qualified energy Unit{ARRA}.

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: Ruud Dealer

"Installed right"
if these units are installed right they will last a long time read all the reviews seems like there all leaks if they would have been welded right from the first install you would not have had this problem alot of these problems should fall back on the company installing them

Date created: 2010-11-06 Name: J Santos
Location: Modesto, CA

"Almost Bullet-Proof"
I moved into my house in 1995 and one of the first things I did was remove the YORK piece of junk system that came with the house and replaced it with all RUUD equipment. The person I bought the home from had the YORK system for 5 years and said that he had techs out from the A/C company on average 5 times a year for one problem or another. I didn't want to deal with the expense or hassle, so I chose RUUD since I had the same brand (RHEEM) in my previous home and had no issues whatsoever. I'd recommend RUUD equipment to anyone who doesn't want to worry about expensive parts and annoying breakdowns.

Date created: 2010-10-30 Name: T. Hale
Location: Tyler,Tx

"WORKS IN A DOUBLR WIDE"
Almost everyone said it would not work in a doublewide because the ductwork was too small..but not so if properly installed. I did slightly modify duct with adding additional 12" duct tap from directly under unit to center of both runs of original ducts...heats and cools much better than Intertherm & much lower costs.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: Norris Croom
Location: Copperas Cove, TX

"Achiever 14"
I have had several problems with my RUUD system and am now contemplating going to a Lennox system. Have paid almost as much in repairs as I did for the system new. System is only six years old and has cost me well over $2000.00 in repairs by replacing the evaporator coil assembly, holes in lines, freon (and lots of it). The majority of the repairs have been in the last year, since the warranty expired. Some early on repairs too, so we've never had total confidence in this system. I will never buy another RUUD system, nor recommend it to anyone. In fact I'll recommend against it.

Date created: 2010-09-24 Name: Roger Sinclair
Location: Needville Tx.

"JUNK"
I have had this 4.5 ton unit less than 5 yrs and have replaced everything but the compressor in it.I believe ruud should be accountable for selling such pieces of crap.I THINK THEY SHOULD REPLACE IT FOR ALL THE FREON THAT THE AC COMPANY HAS LET OUT IN THE AIR AND MADE ME PAY FOR. BAYOU CITY IN NEEDVILLE TX.

Date created: 2010-09-20 Name: Bruce W.
Location: Bear, De

"A/C compressors"
These units are crap!!!!! Our house was built in late 2005 - early 2006 and never occupied. We bought and moved in late 2007. WE have two zones. Summer 2008 first compressor had to be replaced. Warranty expired on labor since 3 yrs gone since installed although unit used by us for one year. it cost us $900 in labor. Now, late summer 2010, second unit compressor now needs replacing. This time is will be more than $900, again labor, since part still under original warranty. We live in mid-Atlantic area so a/c runs May-Sept at most. Two compressors replaced in 3 years of use = crappy product. First unit compressor was only 3 years old, and hardly used. Second unit compressor was used for only 3 years. How do two compressors need replacing so quickly if Rudd not using inferior product? We have learned from talking to neighbors that some also had to replace their compressors as well. Again, homes in development are less than 5 years old. I would never recommend a Rudd to anyone!!!!!

Date created: 2010-07-06 Name: C. Williams

"They just keep running"
I have two Ruud units that are about 24 years old. Aside from a relay switch, or ants shorting out some circuity in the outside compressor, these units just keep on running. I try to make it a point to clean the coils every three or four years, whether they need it or not. I imagine they are about a Seer 6 or 8, and very inefficient by today's standards, but I certainly hate to replace something that is not broken.