Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-07-15 Name: CE
Location: Stephenville, Texas

"Not for Texas"
Will not keep you cool in the Texas heat. Have one home unit 7 years old and one commercial unit. They both cool at night but do not cut it in the afternoon. Residential had replaced a York with same BTUs -- within a week they had to put in a larger unit. Still not getting the job done. Service guys frustrated -- they say it is doing all it will do. Do not buy Ruud.

Date created: 2011-07-07 Name: todd pauls
Location: madison

"Very Poor Quality"
5 years old and the compressor went out. $1250 stay away from this throw away brand.

Date created: 2011-06-27 Name: L. Brown
Location: San Dimas, CA

"My Amana is better than my old Ruud"
I pulled out my Ruud air conditioning unit and furnace and installed a larger Amana furnace and air conditioning unit what a difference. More quiet, more cool and more heat. Sad my Ruud was only 6 years old and never performed and made so much noise I felt sorry for my neighbors. Buy an Amana, you'll be glad you did.

Date created: 2011-06-16 Location: Sacramento, CA

"Ruud Air Conditioning -- a VERY reliable brand!"
I have owned my Ruud Air Conditioner for more than nine years. I have been VERY satisfied with it. It has consistently cooled(and heated in winter) our home in a timely manner. We have only had to have one repair in all these years. Last summer the air conditioner needed to have its Motor Run Capacitor replaced. It was a fairly inexpensive part to replace, and so simple that we were talked through the changing of the part over the phone by a knowledgeable friend!! The summers here get VERY hot, and it is important to my family to be able to cool the house quickly, and to keep it cool. Our Ruud does that well! The first few years owning this air conditioner our house was not insulated well, but it still did the job! And after all these years, I see no sign of it slowing down. I would very confidently recommend the Ruud Air Conditioner to a friend!

Date created: 2011-06-10 Name: Brian Hicks
Location: Kentucky

"RUUD is RUDE during the winter"
Very satisfied with the cool & heat. Not satisfied with the harmonic noise-- ONLY-- in the winter when the heat is on? Could this be a problem with the indoor coil? Or, could it be that furniture is blocking my return vents upstairs? I have a ranch style home with a basement & the RUUD unit is centrally located in the basement. I read a review from ROY THOMPON in Texas. His review apprised me of the return vents were not pulling accurately. Could this be a problem for a lot of home owners who are unaware of this scenario? I like my RUUD AC & although the noise in the winter is annoying, I can deal with it. I would have a difficult time rearranging the furniture due to the return vent locations. Give me some feedback on this. I've been on my installers case for 2 years. He thinks I need a new coil. The FERGUSON distributor in LOUISVILLE is apparently hard to deal with according to my installer- STACEY FAULKNER. He is a good guy who is frustrated with the Ferguson Co. I would have to wait till winter to do the rearranging of the furniture since the heat will not be used until then. Please respond if you have any of my RUUD symptoms. Thanks Brian.

Date created: 2011-06-07 Name: Thomas Twombly
Location: Nashville TN

"Very Satisfied"
We have had this unit for 14 years. We did have it properly serviced and cleaned every year. We have had very reasonable utility bills. During the yearly service, the unit has never needed freon to be added. It is also very quiet. It has never needed to be repaired. The unit was retired due to a broken heat exchanger after 14 years of reliable service. We are very pleased with this unit.

Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: GMyers
Location: Ohio

"Lasted 19 Years"
There must be something good about these Ruuds. Our just went out after 19 years. 2x/year preventative maintenance is all we ever did.

Date created: 2011-05-24 Name: bill robertson
Location: cape coral, florida

"13seer 10kw r-410 puron"
The compressor was knocking when shutting down, replaced shortly after install, same problem now, dealer wants about $400 to instal new one. I had a Barg before which performed about 13 years. I have to hold off laying out the money now and what happens 2 or 3 years down the road? I am a very unhappy camper, fell like I made a BAD CHOICE.

Date created: 2011-05-08 Name: SuperSc
Location: Denver Metro

"Year 27 and counting"
Our 27 year old a/c was manufactured in 09/1984 and still keeps us frigid, but it is time to replace it with a more energy efficient one (plus we have a small leak in the outside coils so we get a recharge every 4 years...)

Date created: 2011-04-26 Name: Johnny Stanley
Location: Sulphur Louisiana

"Owner of 15 rudd a/c"
I own 15 apartments with 15 rudd units.Had trouble with all 15 from day one. Had to replace all 15 coils, real nightmare. They all get worked on every summer. Have replaced some patched the others to get by. Rudd is without a doubt the worst a/c on the market.I would not ever purchase any item that has rudd stamp on it. JUNK