Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-06-19 Name: Danielle McLarty
Location: Michigan

"Still going strong!!!!"
I have had my Ruud air conditioner for going on 23 or 24 years.....and guess what? It still works great. Sure, I've had to have it charged once or twice, but it is working pretty well for its age....

Date created: 2012-06-16 Name: B. Regnier
Location: Wisconsin

"Garbage"
They are total garbage!!! From the furnace to the AC. My in-laws had this house and had it installed. Nothing but problems every year since day one. Now we have the house and it's nothing but problems every summer and winter something happens and it needs to be fixed. What a piece of crap!

Date created: 2012-03-05 Name: N. Anthony
Location: Key Largo, FL.

"Unreliable - Critical Failures"
Do not buy. Extremely unreliable!. Model RSPM-A036JK. 3 critical failures within a yr. Process tube broke and leaked all r401 freon. Blower motor failure just after a year -- had to pay $150 for labor. Expansion valve failure just shortly thereafter. Another $200+ for labor. Poor quality components. Find a better brand that uses iso quality control production.

Date created: 2011-11-17 Name: Megan
Location: Greenville, NC

"Don't do it! Piece of Junk"
This Ruud unit came with our house. It's five year warranty just ran out in September, two months ago. Currently we have very small leaks in both our compressor and evaporator coils after 5 years. And since the warranty is up, the cost of repair is not worth it. So while many people get 15-20 years out of their ac units, the one we have lasted 5 Pathetic. Apparently there is a charge for getting a piece under warranty which is terrible and we had another problem with the unit 2 years ago that required getting a new part under warranty. Please buy something else, but from reviews, don't do a Goodman either.

Date created: 2011-10-02 Name: Todd

"Happy"
It works like an air conditioner. 6 years and going strong.

Date created: 2011-09-23 Name: mike in CA

"Home owners kill me"
I have been in this industry for over 30 years, and every one of these poor reviews are on the same issue....poor ducting or way undersized. One person says "it was replaced with a larger unit and this one works fine". Another person said that it works great at night (it would if it's to small). 2-Other people said that they blocked the freon turn air grilles. Really people units that are 8, 10, 20 years old are going to be a huge energy eater.

Date created: 2011-09-04 Name: Frank Jasiewicz
Location: Orlando Fl

"Ruud Ultra"
A/C broke down again on Labor day weekend. It never fails. Just out of warranty by 3 months. First, the A/c has such a hard time trying to cool the house during daytime hours. Has broke down 3 times, once circuit board, once for circuit breaker in handler, now needs a new fan motor in compressor. By now I could have bought another unit.

Date created: 2011-08-05 Name: M.C. brooks
Location: Albany, GA

"Program a motor"
After 3 years in a house nay used 6 months of the year the moor went out. Keep in mind the heat index is 115 degrees in South Georgia a rush order( an additional $80) has now taken 6 days from original order date. Not only is the unit unreliable, the part had to be "programmed" before it could be shipped. So the service is as reliable as the unit. I would urge others to find another brand. My last ac nit lasted 20 years; the Ruud.... not even 20 months

Date created: 2011-08-04 Name: Stan C
Location: The Texas Hill Country

"Our old unit / our new unit"
Our old 2.5 ton unit has lasted 25 years before it started puking water because of clogged coils. It was trouble free up to this point. We bought another 2.5 ton Rudd and paid the extra $250 for the more efficient motor, which actually appears to be inclusive of 2x's the amount of evap coils on the outside unit. Both units have a 10 year warranty. It runs much quieter and pulls more air through the filter so changing it every month may be necessary. After reading the rating it seemed obvious that having trained, knowledgeable installers would avoid a lot of problems so we went to an established local dealer. We discovered the problem on Sunday. The new unit was up and running by Wednesday afternoon.

Date created: 2011-07-19 Name: Louis
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

"The worst"
This is by far the worst ac system I have ever seen. The unit always has something wrong, takes forever to cool down, super extremely inefficient, and it's time to replace it. Has no longevity, and extremely expensive to run. I bought it new 8 years ago. My contractor was excellent, but if he doesn't have something other than Ruud, he is S.O.L on this next unit.