Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: Jon
Location: Kingman

"Went Out When the Weather Got Hot"
Our Ruud 5 ton remote AC unit went out last year. The refrigerant leaked out of unit. The original company that installed it when new could not find the leak but re-charged it with R-410A and said let's watch it (he thought it was a schrader valve cap). That cost us $700.00. The next season, we turned it on and it was out of gas again. After reading all the reviews on this site, I don't think I will replace it with a Ruud (made in Mexico) unit. I will try to repair it, the ISO test will cost us another $595.00 just to try to find the leak then more to repair if possible. Junk Junk Junk. I blame all the big companies trying to make more and more money by sending work to other countries for cheap labor and also the EPA for all the stupid regulations placed on American companies that they have a hard time competing.

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Shirley glasscock
Location: Richmond, Tx

"Real Estate Agent"
In 2009 I had a Ruud heat pump installed - warranty for labor 1 year. Just over a year, a circuitboard went out cost more than $1000 to fix in labor charges. This year, (2013) a coil leaked and it cost $950.00 labor charges to repair plus the $49.50 charge to diagnose. If the A/C would work, the labor charges would not be so high. I maintain it all year but next time around, it will not be replaced with Ruud.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: Contractor
Location: San Antonio TX

"Piece of Junk"
Do not buy Ruud!! I am a contractor and have had to replace Ruud systems that were installed within the last 1-2 years due to leaks in compressor. I have to eat up cost of freon and they do not want to pay you anything for your labor. Horrible service. Do not get Ruud.

Date created: 2013-05-20 Name: Diasppointed in Texas
Location: Houston, TX

"Incredible Noise Polluter"
I had a Ruud dry condenser installed 8 months ago. Immediately after installation I called the service company back to verify it was installed correctly due to the volume of operation. They said the unit did operate at an unusually loud volume, however there was nothing they could do about it. This unit is installed outside 2 bedrooms and it makes sleeping disruptive and difficult. A neighbor had another brand installed the same day and it is quiet as a mouse. This unit was covered under a home warranty so I had no say in the manufacturer. Ruud is junk. Would not advise selecting this manufacturer.

Date created: 2013-05-14 Name: GV
Location: Gatineao , QC

Compressor died and can't get any parts. 5 years old, no one wants to help you.

Date created: 2012-11-17 Name: R. Burnett
Location: Edna, Tx

"Ruud is junk"
New unit installed for about 1 year when evaporator started leaking. Ruud replaced the evaporator coil but I had to pay the labor cost. The Ruud brand is junk, don't buy!

Date created: 2012-11-01 Name: K. Jones
Location: Kingsville, TX

"Evaporator coil leak after only 5 years"
Our ruud unit evaporator coil is leaking refrigerant after only 5 years of service. Out of warranty - so sorry - says manufacturer. This stuff is junk in my view. Buy another product. I certainly will. The Unit was sold to me by Aire Serv.

Date created: 2012-10-16 Name: J doe
Location: south, FL

"Reliable"
My unit is 22 years old. I have replaced one contractor, and one condenser fan motor. It has now developed a refrig leak in the evap coil, so I will be changing out the unit, but it has been a good system.

Date created: 2012-09-26 Name: j. prince
Location: op,fl

"I was a top contractor for Rudd"
Was a Rudd top contractor. I installed a lot of this stuff in the last three years. Evaporator coils are garbage -- problems with motors and reversing valves. Now we have lost customers and been threatened with lawsuits. Rudd will not help with labor on these repairs and when customers call Rudd they blame it on the contractor or something in the air. These units are crap

Date created: 2012-09-19 Name: David Ladurini
Location: Defuniak Springs, Fl 32433

"Ruud failures"
Put 2 ruud ac units in our new home January 17, 2011. In March 2012 both systems were low on freon. Had them serviced. June both units went out on the same day. The evaporators had major leaks. Ruud did replace the evaporators but would not help on the labor. The labor was over $2000.00 which included dye testing. The repair service told me to expect to replace the evaporators every year... No more ruud or Rheem ac for me.