Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-09-16 Name: OLGA PINA
Location: Austin, Texas

"Problems With Design"
I have owned this unit since 2004. It had been working and all of a sudden it tripped the fusebox and it went out. I went to the fusebox to fix it and it worked for about 20 minutes and it tripped again. Called repairmen and it seems that their design on my United was flawed. The compressor wires were zip tied to suction line and has rubbed against the insulation off of wire and caused it to arc and made a hole, losing all freon due to that. It's a miracle it just did not explode! VERY POOR DESIGN WHEN ELECTRICAL WIRES ARE ZIP TIED AND CAUSED IT TO FRAY THE WIRING AND THE LIVE WIRE BURNED A HOLE IN THE INSULATED LINE THAT FED FREON TO THE UNIT! MY BILL? $1000.00!

Date created: 2013-07-28 Name: jimmy jones
Location: mississippi

"Only Use Ruud"
I have a Ruud unit complete system at home, I love it . Have not had any problems at all. I install Ruud units on a daily basis. Rheem and Ruud is the only units I recommend. They run and get the job done and if mess up, it's simple to fix. Some people talk bad about them on here, all newer units have Copeland compressors in them and you will have a few lemons in any unit but Ruud is a very few. Just don't buy a Trane or a Lennox, too expensive to buy and parts are to high and they are junk in my opinion.

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: Jon
Location: Kingman

"Went Out When the Weather Got Hot"
Our Ruud 5 ton remote AC unit went out last year. The refrigerant leaked out of unit. The original company that installed it when new could not find the leak but re-charged it with R-410A and said let's watch it (he thought it was a schrader valve cap). That cost us $700.00. The next season, we turned it on and it was out of gas again. After reading all the reviews on this site, I don't think I will replace it with a Ruud (made in Mexico) unit. I will try to repair it, the ISO test will cost us another $595.00 just to try to find the leak then more to repair if possible. Junk Junk Junk. I blame all the big companies trying to make more and more money by sending work to other countries for cheap labor and also the EPA for all the stupid regulations placed on American companies that they have a hard time competing.

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Shirley glasscock
Location: Richmond, Tx

"Real Estate Agent"
In 2009 I had a Ruud heat pump installed - warranty for labor 1 year. Just over a year, a circuitboard went out cost more than $1000 to fix in labor charges. This year, (2013) a coil leaked and it cost $950.00 labor charges to repair plus the $49.50 charge to diagnose. If the A/C would work, the labor charges would not be so high. I maintain it all year but next time around, it will not be replaced with Ruud.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: Contractor
Location: San Antonio TX

"Piece of Junk"
Do not buy Ruud!! I am a contractor and have had to replace Ruud systems that were installed within the last 1-2 years due to leaks in compressor. I have to eat up cost of freon and they do not want to pay you anything for your labor. Horrible service. Do not get Ruud.

Date created: 2013-05-20 Name: Diasppointed in Texas
Location: Houston, TX

"Incredible Noise Polluter"
I had a Ruud dry condenser installed 8 months ago. Immediately after installation I called the service company back to verify it was installed correctly due to the volume of operation. They said the unit did operate at an unusually loud volume, however there was nothing they could do about it. This unit is installed outside 2 bedrooms and it makes sleeping disruptive and difficult. A neighbor had another brand installed the same day and it is quiet as a mouse. This unit was covered under a home warranty so I had no say in the manufacturer. Ruud is junk. Would not advise selecting this manufacturer.

Date created: 2013-05-14 Name: GV
Location: Gatineao , QC

Compressor died and can't get any parts. 5 years old, no one wants to help you.

Date created: 2012-11-17 Name: R. Burnett
Location: Edna, Tx

"Ruud is junk"
New unit installed for about 1 year when evaporator started leaking. Ruud replaced the evaporator coil but I had to pay the labor cost. The Ruud brand is junk, don't buy!

Date created: 2012-11-01 Name: K. Jones
Location: Kingsville, TX

"Evaporator coil leak after only 5 years"
Our ruud unit evaporator coil is leaking refrigerant after only 5 years of service. Out of warranty - so sorry - says manufacturer. This stuff is junk in my view. Buy another product. I certainly will. The Unit was sold to me by Aire Serv.

Date created: 2012-10-16 Name: J doe
Location: south, FL

"Reliable"
My unit is 22 years old. I have replaced one contractor, and one condenser fan motor. It has now developed a refrig leak in the evap coil, so I will be changing out the unit, but it has been a good system.