Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-08-31 Name: Tom Ellis
Location: Pennsylvania

"Stay away"
Compressor is junk inside 9 years. Buy a different brand.

Date created: 2016-07-22 Name: a laxen
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"Buy a Trane or Lennox"
Had the unit for 8 years. Haven't had a year that it didn't need to be serviced. Compressor problems over and over. Wouldn't buy one again and I regret listening to the sales person instead of getting another brand, Sounds like the compressor is done for now and if it is, I won't repair it. I will buy a good window unit like I had for years that never broke down. Expensive piece of junk.

Date created: 2016-05-13 Name: Mark C
Location: Chicago, IL

"For the record"
I'm a contractor that has been installing A/C systems for over 30 years. The biggest problem I run into on problem systems is improperly installed equipment, not manufacturer issues. 90% of all problems stem from improper installation. Improper brazing techniques (not using nitrogen while brazing ) is a major biggie. Equipment from manufacturer to manufacturer are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the quality of workmanship and who installs the equipment, more so than the name brand. I read through the complaints and most cases are workmanship issues, not bad equipment. In my experience I have found the manufacturers stand behind their equipment. What a manufacturer can't do is warranty a poor installation for workmanship. "You can't fix stupid" on the installation side. My recommendation is you pay for what you get. There are no "apples for apples" in my business. If it's cheaper ask yourself a question, what are you not getting that the other quotes are providing? As in any industry, you pay for quality and experience. Consider this when purchasing not only the product but the service that has to accompany it as well.

Date created: 2016-04-26 Name: Barbara
Location: Fresno, CA

"Problems with Ruud A/C"
My unit is only 2 years old. I also have those defective coils which I understand are no longer being used due to the widespread problems. Because the copper coils leak, I spent $400 to have all the Freon replaced, plus $700 to have the replacement (aluminum) coil installed. Only the coil was covered by warranty. I think this should be handled like an auto recall situation. Ruud should pay for the new coils regardless of the warranty situation, plus the cost of installation and Freon replacement. Is a class action suit applicable?

Date created: 2016-04-21 Name: John Breedlove
Location: Arlington, TX

"Great unit"
I have had this unit for fifteen years and have never had a service call. I owned a Rheem for eighteen years with one call made in the last year of its life. My next door neighbor has had a Ruud for over twenty years with one service call. All I can say is the next unit will be a Ruud, period.

Date created: 2016-03-03 Name: jcruz
Location: Florida

"Worst system ever"
Why? Have had the system for less than 8 years, still under warranty. First issue was a design flaw. They can't repair it, only a band aid. 2nd issue compressor, 3rd now is faulty wiring in the system that somehow is not Ruud's fault. The 100% not covered under warranty system is what the warranty certificate should list as title. Taking the time to write this review in order to spare you from a bad purchase. Now they tell me I have to replace the system at an additional cost of $5000.

Date created: 2015-12-16 Name: Marilyn Deeg
Location: Naples, FL

"Early repairs"
March 2012 - Purchased equipment, $ 4,000. April 2014 - Isolation test $425, replaced the evaporator coil, $799. December 2015 - Replaced TXV valve, pump down and recharge, $799. Total of $2,023 in repairs = 57% of original cost spent in less than 3 years! Also spent more money on annual checkups and diagnostic visit.

Date created: 2015-12-12 Name: Bill

"Warranty"
We had a warranty and after 3 years it cost $1.700.00 to repair coils under the warranty. The unit has 2 holes for wiring which were not plugged so a rat got in. It pays to have holes not used plugged. This is lack of training for installers. The unit was checked the week before it went out.

Date created: 2015-08-10 Name: Fernando Moon
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Very satisfied"
Had a GE unit for 21 years, then replaced it with a Ruud unit. I've had this unit for 11 years. The Ruud unit is excellent. So far no problems. Going strong.

Date created: 2015-08-04 Name: Michael R
Location: Franklin, TN

"Do not buy this unit!"
Horrible service. I wouldn't even give it one star. Let me explain my problem. I bought a Rudd air conditioner about a year ago that Sewell Electric sold me. Everything was fine until this summer. Its been in the upper 90's here in Tennessee and low and behold our Rudd cooling system breaks. We called Sewell since we have the warranty with them so they could come fix what broke. The part that broke was a coil. I looked more into this and it turns out that Rudd systems coil breaks regularly with people having the same problem. Sewell told us we would have the part in a few weeks. Its month 2 and we still don't have the part. We have literally been suffering with my 3 kids and husband in our home. Sitting for the past 2 months in a home that reads 80 degrees inside, luckily we have celling fans and portable fans that we have to turn on to cool ourselves, which is barely enough. But that's not all. Today I tried to figure out what was going on. All I want is the part. I called Sewell and they told me to call Rudd customer service. Rudd told me its not their fault and they told me its Sewell's fault. So now it's a blame game. I call Sewell to tell them what I was told and the lady who I spoke with told me she will hang up on me and she refused to let me speak to the owner of Sewell. On top of that she asked me which country I am from because she wants to know what climate I am from because of my accent. That was incredibly offensive and rude. She also tried the teach me how to read my electric bill, which was shocking. So what I learned from today is that not only is Sewell a horribly rude, discriminative company, they can't even tell me what's wrong with the unit they sold me. I shouldn't be, as the customer, dealing with, spending time, and getting upset with something like this. She is a racist and I'm not the only one who heard what she said. I've never in my life spoken with such awful customer service. It was a horrible experience that I do not want to relive again. I'm to the point where I want to rip the Rudd unit from my wall and not deal with Sewell ever again. Dogs are treated better than the way I was treated today.