Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Donald
Location: Arizona

"Never again"
Paid $6000 for our Ruud 3 years ago, was just told it needs a new coil, which has to be ordered and then we have to pay for all labor and Freon. Seriously, this is Ruud having defective products and we the consumer has to pay for their horrible workmanship. How in the hell is this fair? Never, will we own a Ruud again and we will share Ruuds faulty workmanship with everyone we know!!

Date created: 2017-06-18 Name: joe w

Window unit cooled my 1st floor better than the 11,000 dollar piece of junk.

Date created: 2017-05-16 Name: T Everitt
Location: Mississippi

"Do not buy RUUD"
I bought unit in 2010, have had to replace the coil twice. Rudd furnished the coil but they kept sending the defective coil until my warranty expired, now I will have to replace the coil at my expense. If I have to buy a Rudd coil I will replace the unit. This company will not get anymore of my money.

Date created: 2017-04-15 Name: Mark
Location: St. Louis, MO

This company promoted dated equipment that was not engineered to handle the higher pressures that modern coolant requires. Can you say leak! My contractor has been bending over backwards to help me and a large number of other customers that suffered the installation of this under spec a coil. The connections of the coil are not qualified to handle the updated pressures and ruud knew this while pushing them out the door as fast as they could. I am now told that I the customer will have to pick up the tab on changing out to updated equipment as ruud refuses to cover the costs of an intentional deception. If you are going to drop 6 to 10 grand on an ac system look very hard at the name brand you are buying.

Date created: 2017-04-14 Name: Janie
Location: Bullhead City, AZ

"Faulty RUUD unit"
The ruud air conditioner I unfortunately own was installed in 2011. I have had to repair it every year since. One welding issue was covered under warranty. The other issues weren't. It works for a while then goes out, no air, no heat, just blows air.

Date created: 2017-04-04 Name: James Oates
Location: La Feria, TX

"Made in Mexico says enough."
The contractor installed a Rudd air conditioner in new house. When all the Freon ran out after just 18 months it was found the coil was all oxidized and leaking. The warranty did not cover the "supplier exchange fee", the labor, or Freon. $700.00 later it was working. Now just 6 months later the new replacement coil sprang a leak. So now I am looking at an additional $700 - $1000 to get cold air again. Before the manufacturing moved to Mexico, the quality was fine, and notice all the good reviews are for American made units. Here in The Lower Rio Grande Valley air conditioners run year around, except for one or two weeks in January, with temperature highs are 80 degrees in winter, and 105 degrees in the summer. I've talked with several different companies, and all said Rudd had coil manufacturing problems that aren't addressed by Rudd. I can't find a Rudd corporate address to file a complaint, but why would the care if they can continue to get $700.00 a year for maintenance fees.

Date created: 2017-02-15 Name: M Larsen
Location: South Texas

"Poor quality"
We installed a Ruud air conditioning system two years ago. In less than one year, it began leaking coolant. The installer added coolant and fixed the leak. Now, six months later, the copper coils had to be completely replaced. The coils were covered by warranty, but not the labor or coolant. So now we are out $560 to repair a unit that is two years old!!! We have never in over 40 years had to invest this much money to keep a nearly brand new ac running. Never again will we buy anything made by Ruud.

Date created: 2016-12-03 Name: Peter Orlandi
Location: Long Beach Township, NJ

"Avoid Ruud"
Last Spring 2016, I had a contractor install air conditioning in my 2 story house beach house. It was not possible to run ducts on the first floor so Fujitsu ductless was installed and works beautifully. Unfortunately, on the second floor I had central air conditioning installed and paid additional to upgrade to the Ruud brand. Big Mistake! The contractor had problems, and more problems with the equipment. The compressor had to be installed twice and the coil/air handler needed to be installed three times because of the equipment not working. In summary, the contractor wasn't happy with all the time he spent and wasn't paid for and the installation wasn't finished until mid summer ruining my summer.

Date created: 2016-09-21 Name: casey Howell
Location: Long Beach, MS

"Poor installation"
I just took the time to read all these reviews and noticed nearly all seem due to poor installation and horrible pricing on the part of whatever HVAC company these people are using. Choose better companies. Rheem isn't the problem.

Date created: 2016-09-15 Name: Tony K
Location: Louisville, KY

"Ruud dud"
I own 2 Ruuds, both high efficiency. One was installed in 2012, the other in 2015. I've spent well over $1,000 the past few years keeping these things running. Control board, evaporator coil, translator, etc. One still periodically stops cooling. I see many other reviewers had the same issues as I do. I called customer service and they basically threw my installer under the bus. Not too friendly either. I understand that Ruud is the same as Rheem. I don't ever plan on getting either again.