Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-08-07 Name: G. Stan
Location: Houston, TX

"RUUD AC = problems"
New house in 2001 with Ruud system throughout the house - once or twice per year service calls for Ruud A/C unit... had to replace the coil on the interior unit ($1500) last month, and now exterior coil needs to be replaced, but will probably replace entire unit (with something other than Ruud) because of warranty concerns or the motor or something else crapping out.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: M Ferrell
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

"18 seer rudd a/c"
Had several problems with unit stop coming on. Had to replace electronic on outside unit. Now it runs almost all the time and hardly ever shuts off.
Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: M. Stockwell
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"UANL unit just put in service"
This unit was just installed when my six year old Rheem died. The difference between the two is like night and day. The Ruud is ice cold and it is whisper quiet too. It is keeping the entire house very comfortable and is going to save me on the electric bill.
Date created: 2008-07-07 Name: June Campbell
Location: Staunton,VA

"Buyers Beware!!!"
Reac Mechanical Services replaced our old central air conditioner unit with a Rudd. Although it would cool my house, my basement was constantly flooded when the unit was running. After two years, my compressor has stopped working. I am told by a Representative of Reac Mechanical Services, that Rudd no longer makes this particular unit, and they cannot find a compressor for my unit. I attempted to turn the unit on in Mid April of this year, 2008, and it is now July 8th, and I still don't have an air conditioner. I was assured that the compressor is still covered under warranty, with the exception of labor costs. I am extremely unhappy with the unit, and the company who installed the unit.
Date created: 2008-07-02 Name: Andrew Halucha
Location: Manchester, NJ

"2 Ton 14 SEER Achiever"
This unit works great, is quiet and cools quickly. Reading some of the other reviews it sounds like people are having installation problems. If the unit freezes up on you that is typically an incorrect "charge". If the house is cooled unevenly that is a duct work problem - the flow isn't balanced properly or the vents aren't large enough. Mine is doing the main floor and basement and works great, cools quickly, and much cheaper than running 3 window units (12k, 8k, and 6k). It is also very quiet!
Date created: 2008-07-01 Name: Andrew Devery
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Ruud A/C"
Our units ( dual zone) are 13 years old this summer and have performed flawlessly. Only maintenance has been the changing of filters and occasionally cleaning the condensers. The scroll compressors just keep plugging along day and night without any problems. The Achiever 10 models installed in our home were basic contractor models and I didnít have high expectations but they have proved trouble-free and cool well.
Date created: 2008-06-14 Name: J. Berg
Location: Ladson, SC

"Excellent"
I have owned this central heat and air for over 14 years with no trouble. A/C with Gas furnace.
Date created: 2008-06-11 Name: Unhappy Customer

"Not impressed"
This thing never has worked right. Between freezing up, blowing fuses, getting all clogged and basically not being able to keep up, I will never buy this brand again. I kept thinking that maybe the next service call it would work right. And it would, for like a month. Then something else. I didn't want to just replace it because it was new with the house but I have had it.
Date created: 2008-06-08 Name: M. Gamma
Location: Mesa, AZ

"Improper installation"
The two unsatisfied reviews I read had nothing to do with the units. I have installed over 4000 Ruud systems. 99% of the time there is a problem with a system it can be traced back to an installation error. You should use factory recognized contractors no matter which brand you choose.
Date created: 2008-05-05 Name: Dave C.
Location: Palm Springs, CA

This is the best system for the investment. We used Goodman in the past, but you get what you pay for. It never cooled properly, and needed major repairs right after the 5 year warranty expired. Ruud was rated by consumer reports in 2001 as 1 step better than Trane, so we bought one. It is wonderful! And the efficiency matches its go green paint job.