Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: Dave C
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Extremely reliable units"
I live in phoenix arizona, and like it cool in the house. I have a 2 story house, and 2 ruud units, one for each floor. I am amazed at how reliable they have been for me, in arizona, the summer temps exceed 110 often, and they just keep going and going. I was told by an ac guy that ruud sucked in 1997 and that my units would likely not last long, and suggested of course I buy his brand (carrier). I must say, 12 years after telling me that, they are still functioning very well, all I do is maintain them (clean coils, etc) and use electrostatic filter which I clean often.

Date created: 2009-08-07 Name: Charles Wolfe

"I Have been Taken"
I replaced my central air in summer of 2008. The service man worked on it for 2 days to get it to run. Since then he has been back 6 times and it is out agan. Now he wont return my calls. Dont buy these things they are junk.

Date created: 2009-07-12 Name: M. Doan

"Disgusted with Ruud"
We built a new home in 2002 and was told by a heat/air man that Ruud was the brand to go with. Had trouble with the heating unit first.Then constantly having problems with the outside unit. Every year that we've owned it, we have had to have maintenance done on it. Between leaks that it develops, wires burning up, motor going out, would not recommend this brand (Ruud).

Date created: 2009-07-11 Name: Robert Halpern

"So far no problems"
Replaced Comfortmaker contractor unit this year after 8 years. The unit for the top floor was attached to the basement, and the line was crimped so the unit always was on, and we never were cool. Best estimate was for the Ruud 3 ton 16 seer, 3 thousand less than Trane. So far we are very comfortable, and the unit has been running in the low stage only.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: H. Yardly

"Ruud Review"
Had brand new outside unit installed June 22, 2009. Had to have new coil because old coil was not compatible with new freon. Unit was turned on at 4 pm. and thermostat set at 69. At 6 pm it had never cycled off. We are having high 90 degree weather. Our former Carrier Unit cycled on and off and cooled our house much better. Our installer suggests that we just let it run. He says we need more insulation in attic. Nothing changed except the outside unit and the new coil installed in the basement part of the unit. Helpful hints will be appreciated.

Date created: 2009-06-22 Name: deborah wardingley

"Ruud 13 seer ac"
After 2 years compressor went out - cost to replace under warranty is over $700.00. Not worth it! Replacing entire unit w/Nutone w/10 year total warranty for $1300.

Date created: 2009-06-16 Name: Albert Dent

"Ruud, Air Conditioner"
06-16-09 Model # 92-23-435-01-00 The unit has frost build up on the pipe outside connected to the outdoor unit. Other than that, the unit has performed great! Albert Dent

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Rick
Location: S. Florida

"Runs Great"
Have a Rudd 3.5 Ton unit that replaced a Bryant (lasted 5 years 3 compressors)and a Rheem (lasted 5 years numerous leaks. Have never had it serviced and it continue to run like new. Cools my 2,000 sf home in S. Florida year round (never use heat). It is a great unit, however, when I replace it I will not be doing so with a Rudd since it is not an American owned company anymore. Susidary of a company based in Japan.

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Maryann

"Review"
Our unit is not that powerful and is noisy. We bought our house new and have lived there for 8 and a half years. For the past three years, we have been adding freon due to a small leak. The core now needs to be replaced at a cost of $3,700.00. We do not want to keep this system due to the poor quality.

Date created: 2009-05-11 Name: Corey

"5 Ton Ruud"
We have a 5 ton Ruud unit that was supposed to replace a dismal experience with a similar Trane. While this experience has been better than that of the Trane, which isn't saying much, this Ruud unit floods the pan at random times shutting off the a/C. So I drain the water out of the pan and flush the line again, which is never clogged, but it makes me feel like I am doing something! A/c works again until it pukes out tons of water and we repeat the process. We have had the pan replaced, numerous service calls, unit leveling, new drain lines, etc. Still leaks and floods the pan shutting off the A/C. UGH! Moreover, the compressor outside has gotten so loud the neighbors have begun to complain about the noise. We have had it looked at and even contacted Ruud. They basically said sorry for ya...cough up the cash and replace the compressor. On the positive side, when it works, it blows very cold air and cools down the house in a hurry. I'm here reading posts because I have once again reached my threshold of pain and am going to have it ripped out of the house...