Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-09-21 Name: casey Howell
Location: Long Beach, MS

"Poor installation"
I just took the time to read all these reviews and noticed nearly all seem due to poor installation and horrible pricing on the part of whatever HVAC company these people are using. Choose better companies. Rheem isn't the problem.

Date created: 2016-09-15 Name: Tony K
Location: Louisville, KY

"Ruud dud"
I own 2 Ruuds, both high efficiency. One was installed in 2012, the other in 2015. I've spent well over $1,000 the past few years keeping these things running. Control board, evaporator coil, translator, etc. One still periodically stops cooling. I see many other reviewers had the same issues as I do. I called customer service and they basically threw my installer under the bus. Not too friendly either. I understand that Ruud is the same as Rheem. I don't ever plan on getting either again.

Date created: 2016-08-31 Name: Tom Ellis
Location: Pennsylvania

"Stay away"
Compressor is junk inside 9 years. Buy a different brand.

Date created: 2016-07-22 Name: a laxen
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"Buy a Trane or Lennox"
Had the unit for 8 years. Haven't had a year that it didn't need to be serviced. Compressor problems over and over. Wouldn't buy one again and I regret listening to the sales person instead of getting another brand, Sounds like the compressor is done for now and if it is, I won't repair it. I will buy a good window unit like I had for years that never broke down. Expensive piece of junk.

Date created: 2016-05-13 Name: Mark C
Location: Chicago, IL

"For the record"
I'm a contractor that has been installing A/C systems for over 30 years. The biggest problem I run into on problem systems is improperly installed equipment, not manufacturer issues. 90% of all problems stem from improper installation. Improper brazing techniques (not using nitrogen while brazing ) is a major biggie. Equipment from manufacturer to manufacturer are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the quality of workmanship and who installs the equipment, more so than the name brand. I read through the complaints and most cases are workmanship issues, not bad equipment. In my experience I have found the manufacturers stand behind their equipment. What a manufacturer can't do is warranty a poor installation for workmanship. "You can't fix stupid" on the installation side. My recommendation is you pay for what you get. There are no "apples for apples" in my business. If it's cheaper ask yourself a question, what are you not getting that the other quotes are providing? As in any industry, you pay for quality and experience. Consider this when purchasing not only the product but the service that has to accompany it as well.

Date created: 2016-04-26 Name: Barbara
Location: Fresno, CA

"Problems with Ruud A/C"
My unit is only 2 years old. I also have those defective coils which I understand are no longer being used due to the widespread problems. Because the copper coils leak, I spent $400 to have all the Freon replaced, plus $700 to have the replacement (aluminum) coil installed. Only the coil was covered by warranty. I think this should be handled like an auto recall situation. Ruud should pay for the new coils regardless of the warranty situation, plus the cost of installation and Freon replacement. Is a class action suit applicable?

Date created: 2016-04-21 Name: John Breedlove
Location: Arlington, TX

"Great unit"
I have had this unit for fifteen years and have never had a service call. I owned a Rheem for eighteen years with one call made in the last year of its life. My next door neighbor has had a Ruud for over twenty years with one service call. All I can say is the next unit will be a Ruud, period.

Date created: 2016-03-03 Name: jcruz
Location: Florida

"Worst system ever"
Why? Have had the system for less than 8 years, still under warranty. First issue was a design flaw. They can't repair it, only a band aid. 2nd issue compressor, 3rd now is faulty wiring in the system that somehow is not Ruud's fault. The 100% not covered under warranty system is what the warranty certificate should list as title. Taking the time to write this review in order to spare you from a bad purchase. Now they tell me I have to replace the system at an additional cost of $5000.

Date created: 2015-12-16 Name: Marilyn Deeg
Location: Naples, FL

"Early repairs"
March 2012 - Purchased equipment, $ 4,000. April 2014 - Isolation test $425, replaced the evaporator coil, $799. December 2015 - Replaced TXV valve, pump down and recharge, $799. Total of $2,023 in repairs = 57% of original cost spent in less than 3 years! Also spent more money on annual checkups and diagnostic visit.

Date created: 2015-12-12 Name: Bill

"Warranty"
We had a warranty and after 3 years it cost $1.700.00 to repair coils under the warranty. The unit has 2 holes for wiring which were not plugged so a rat got in. It pays to have holes not used plugged. This is lack of training for installers. The unit was checked the week before it went out.