Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2019-02-20 Name: lauren
Location: Miami, FL

"Very unsatisfied"
I am very disappointed in the a/c unit I received from them. The motor broke. They said if it was less than 5 year parts warranty it would've been included, but since it's 6 years, it's not covered. And so much for their 10 year warranty, because apparently I need to fill out something extra for that and keep a record of it in case it breaks. Their customer service was not helpful and said it was my fault for not registering within that window. I believe I did register but since I don't have proof there is nothing to be done. How is this good customer service to blame the customer? If you really stood behind your 10 year warranty, would you truly stand behind it? They know I bought the product...It just doesn't make sense.

Date created: 2019-02-02 Name: Delores
Location: Tennessee

"Worst Unit we ever bought!!!!😠"
Never ever buy a rudd!!! They are nothing but trouble!!! You have to babysit and watch it all the time to make sure it's doing its job and ain't running on emergency heat and running your electric bill sky high!! Its runs very loud! My pressure switch went out, the fan motor, the relay switch, wires burned into and now the biggest part the compressor and it's just now three years old!! Sitting in my house waiting for it to be fixed and that will take a week for the compressor to come in!! It is cold in my house with only one heater going!!!!UGH... After that gets fixed what will be the next thing to tear up, the repair guy said probably the coil another big ticket item! Don't Buy a rudd......
Date created: 2018-10-18 Name: Gary
Location: Texas

"Ruud AC units"
My unit is 2 years old and after the second year, it leaked all the Freon out. So I called the company that put it in and they could not find the leak and wanted to do a leak test for $1,100. I called another company and they said it was the evaporator coil and the coil was under warranty, so I didn't have to pay for it, but it was replaced for $600 labor. A month later, all the Freon was gone. Hot as hell in Texas summer, so I called the company that put it in and they could not find the leak either. They told me it was the line in my outside wall, where the copper line goes and it must be where the leak is. Tried to schedule a leak test, but they didn't want to do it, so I contacted another company and they came out and leak-tested everything. Only charged $450. The leak was in the brand new evaporator coil. They suggested I not replace it with the Ruud, even though it was under warranty, because I would have the same thing all over again. They suggested putting in an American Standard brand evaporator coil and new plenum, another $1,700. So the moral of the story is do not purchase a Ruud ac. Pure junk.
Date created: 2018-08-18 Name: T Parr
Location: New Jersey

"Only 7 months old and needs a new motor"
We had a new Ruud central ac unit installed in January of 2018. It was only used beginning in May of the this year. After 3 months of use, it stopped working. The repair guy says it needs a new motor. Why does a new unit, in use for only a few months, need a replacement motor already? Are the components junk, or are the assemblers morons? Or is it a bit of both?
Date created: 2018-08-15 Name: Doug Lawrence
Location: Rushville, MO

"Boat anchor!!!!!"
New system installed with new construction. Had an issue with the control board, and a coil started leaking. Three years old and the crooks only cover the parts. I have seen Coleman, Carrier, and others go 20 to 30 years with no issues, but not this pile of sh*t! I would advise anyone building or buying new, to run the other way if the hvac man says RUUD!
Date created: 2018-08-01 Name: Shannon
Location: Surprise, AZ

"Still Junk"
Still junk. I've had all the same problems as many of the previous posts. I apologize, I do not know the model/series, but I do know it is a RUUD. We moved into a brand new executive rental home (2bd/2ba) Dec 31, 2017. We have had nothing but trouble from day one. First, the heater didn't work. We were told it just hadn't been "hooked-up" correctly. At the time, we didn't have any reason to not believe the management company. Fast forward 7 months, we have had numerous issues. We have had to have the Freon recharged 3 times, the fan replaced, and several other parts (that the management company won't disclose to us). The unit is loud, very loud. It sounds like an old jalopy car! It runs non-stop, it will run for 10 minutes, stop for a minute or 2, and then kick back on, and yet we can barely get our house to cool below 75 degrees. And our bills are just outrageous. I'm glad we weren't the ones who actually purchased this piece of poo, but I'm not happy that we have to deal with all the inconveniences and excessive utility costs. I don't understand why we haven't had another new ac unit installed, as I would imagine this one is still under warranty. If it is indeed actually new, as we are led to believe, but this would be the management's call, not mine. If I ever have to purchase my own ac unit, it will definitely not be a RUUD. I've had both a Trane and a York, and they were great. Never had any problems with either in over 10 years we lived in those houses. All they ever needed was a quick, standard annual service, and then they ran perfectly. Buyer beware, RUUD is still junk!
Date created: 2018-07-27 Name: Tian Z
Location: Houston, TX

"Ruud/Rheem' coil are defective and they don't stand behand their products"
In 2017, my Ruud/Rheem ac starts to leak Freon after installation 6 years ago. Even though the coil failed a little earlier than the other brands I've use, I didn't blame on Rheem and though it might be wear and tear. I replaced a new Rheem evaporator coil and pay the Freon refill on my own. Now, after one summer use, the new replaced coil starts to leak Freon again. A technician came to check and said the coil I got from Rheem in 2017 is an originally defective part and I have to replace it again, which is another thousand dollars. Why do I have to spend thousands of dollars to replace coil and refill Freon every summer if Rheem's product is qualified? Is there any other ac brands have to be replaced coil and refill Freon every summer? Rheem refused to offer any explanation and technical assistance. Such an irresponsible and sly company! Shame on Rheem and will never purchase their product again!
Date created: 2018-07-27 Name: A. Gainey
Location: Albany, GA

"Junk manufacturer"
I purchased a unit from a local distributor and they installed it. Since the install, the first year, unit was completely out of Freon. Same thing the second year and third year when we fired up the a/c when it heated up. On all occasions, there was a leak on a copper joint to the compressor from vibration. They ended up having to cut and solder the line, which is for filling Freon during the winter months so it wasn't really needed. The fourth year, the blower motor went out and the fifth year (2018, this year), Freon was out again and am being told we need new evaporator coils which is around $1,100.00 dollars. Both the distributor company and I have been in contact with, RUUD, and they will not warranty anything or help out with anything we have gone to them with. I have spent enough money fixing this piece of junk to buy another unit and it's only been 5 years. I'm almost wondering if I have a case for small claims court case, but I'm not the type of person to do something like that, but I also work in customer service and RUUD definitely does not take care of you or back up their product. All they say is it was an install error, which is complete bull. Do not buy a RUUD!!
Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: JG
Location: Florida

"Rudd gatbage"
The first year Freon leaked out and All they did was refill. Less then a year later it leaked again and The coil/evaporated had to be replaced due to leak again. It should have been replaces the first year as now labor was not covered after first year. Now at three years the the compressor is bad and Labor again is not covered but warranty covers the Part. My last house had a carrier for 10 years and never had any problems. So pretty much the whole system other than the air handles has been replaced in this. Anything done to it. Bad
Date created: 2018-06-24 Name: WILLIAM DIANA
Location: Norristown, PA

"UNRELIABLE LEAKY UNIT"
Home a/c unit model number vanl 049jaz, serial number 784 2w100902531. We live in a gated community, about 8 years old. 4 of my close neighbors all the Ruud units leak coolant. The leaks started small then became overwhelming. Ruud refused to do anything about my unit, because it passed warranty date. The coils in all of the units appear to have leaks. Currently my unit required 5 pounds of fluid just to start up and then 2 months later 5 # more just to operate. The fan and compressor are noisy and appear to be failing as well. Don't buy a Ruud system!