Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-08-01 Name: Chris
Location: West St. Louis County, MO

"Don't waste your money!"
Purchased both A/C and furnace in April 2012. We live close to St. Louis, MO. Summers are usually hot and humid. We have an 1800 square foot ranch house and keep A/C on during June,July, August and mid-September. Then we shut the air off and open the windows and use our attic fan once the weather cools back to 75-80. With that said...clearly we don't abuse the unit by overuse and always hire an HVAC expert for regular cleanings and change the filter regularly. The unit ran beautifully the summer of 2012 and 2013. We turned it on mid May of 2014 as it was a very hot and dry start to the summer. The unit stop cooling three weeks later! We called a professional who said the condenser coil broke and we need a new one. Good news, it's under warranty. Please keep in mind at this point the unit has only run for two full seasons and 3 weeks of a third season. Our repairman calls the local distributor who calls the Ruud distributor...they don't have any coils as they are being built. It appears many people who own a Ruud had their coils break! We are told one week. That week passes, it's 95 degrees outside. The second week comes around, we were told the part will be ready to ship out. Terrific! Only they didn't tell us that they won't ship the part right away, they wait for the truck to fill rather than ship one part at a time even though it is under warranty. The second week passes, still no part, temperatures again hovering around 95. Third week comes around, by this time I am calling everyone daily, RUUD, their warehouse, the local distributor, etc. Everyone is playing the blame game. The shipping truck finally moves the third week, however, now we have to wait 3 more days so it can make 3-5 stops on its route to St. Louis. The part finally arrives three weeks later. While the part was under warranty the labor, Freon, etc. is not. $700 later we finally have air. Upset that we had to pay for the repair, upset Ruud wouldn't step in and help expedite the shipping on a 2 year old unit. Now it is the summer of 2015, just 1 year and 15 days after we had the condenser coil replaced, it blows again! Once again Ruud won't stand by their product only saying "it's under warranty". The customer service lady Jamie, even suggested it was because of my neighbor and that they probably shot it out with a B B gun. Then she asked, " do you have dogs". Yes, I said. Jamie replied, "Well that is why the coil keeps going out, your dog is peeing on it and corroding the coil". First of all, my dog squats, secondly the coil is 2 feet above the dogs head and thirdly my dog doesn't have opposable thumbs to take the cover off the unit to pee on the coil! The unit is only three years old, it broke down last year and again this year. Repairs cost $700+ each time, plus having to wait 3 weeks for the part to arrive. I can't afford to pay $700 each year, so I opted buy a Lennox. RUUD still refuses to take any blame for the defect, and basically told use there is nothing they will do other than honor the warranty. Turns out the copper coils are made so thin that this is a common problem , not only for us but for anyone who buys a Rheem or Ruud unit. When a company can't keep the replacement parts in stock due to so many going bad, it should be a clear sign it's an inferior product. Bottom line, don't purchase a Ruud unless you like sitting without air in your home for three weeks during the summer, and be prepared to spend $700 every year for your replacement parts. But as Ruud said, "It's not our fault".

Date created: 2015-07-31 Name: Chris
Location: St. Louis county, MO

"Coil went bad second season of use"
Purchased a Ruud air conditioner and heating unit and had it professionally installed. Keep it clean, have regular professional cleanings/check ups. The coil blew the second year! Middle of June in St. Louis, heat 90+, humidity, etc. The part was under warranty, however, Ruud took over 3 weeks to deliver the part! I called Ruud to find out the hold up and got the run around. Basically boiled down to them wanting to save on shipping. The part was professionally installed, now two years later, it's not cooling again! We just had a tune up/check in April. Hating this product and the service or lack of that comes with it. Don't buy!

Date created: 2015-06-21 Name: KMW
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Rubbish"
Installed 31 days ago. The AC fan does not turn on, guess what? It's just out of the 30-day warranty offered by the installer, so the repair is out of my pocket! I regret buying this product and I urge you to be very cautious.

Date created: 2014-10-04 Name: Steve Auglen
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

"17 years and going strong"
Our Ruud a/c units are original to our home, built in 1996. They have always been well-maintained, with yearly condenser cleaning. Contactors were replaced two years ago and last month the downstairs unit started freezing up. It took 2 lbs of Freon. The tech replaced suspected leaky schrader valves. Otherwise, they have been problem free. Our block consists of eight homes, all built in 1996. That's 16 a/c units in total, and only two have been replaced. My neighbor on the right had an evaporator leak and decided to replace his system last year. My other neighbor just replaced his unit, which apparently stopped cooling to do a restriction in the condenser. So I figure that after 17 years and two relatively minor repairs, this air-conditioner owes me nothing.

Date created: 2014-08-19 Name: Research contractors
Location: U.S of A

"Air Conditioners are only as good as installers"
Air Conditioners are only as good as the installers no matter what brand. The A/C industry needs more qualified mechanics not part changers and equipment blamers.

Date created: 2014-08-18 Name: C. ROBERTS
Location: GA

"COMPLAINT"
My unit is not quite two years old and we have complained about the ac unit problems at least several times about the coils and leaking antifreeze. Please do not buy!!!!!

Date created: 2014-08-03 Name: Abraham montes
Location: Charleston

"Never showed up"
First time I call, the person told me "what you want me to do" and then said call the next day because he didn't have time. Second call they never showed so they reschedule another date and last call they call to tell me they came when I was not at home and specifically told them a available time. Worst services, worst attitude, I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Date created: 2014-07-02 Name: R Mitchell
Location: NJ

"Don't buy a Ruud"
Have a 4 year old Ruud 4 ton unit. The txv failed and sent debris throughout the system. Ruud customer service is less than useless and says it must be the installer's negligence.

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: J Hines
Location: Houston Texas

"I bought junk"
Had our system replaced the end of March, it has been down more than has worked. I will never buy another Ruud. It's in the 90's today - I wish the ac worked.

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: K Pulliam
Location: Southern MD

"Old Ruud Still Working"
We purchased a house a couple years ago with a straight a/c Ruud outdoor unit. Although its just an a/c unit (only runs half of the year) the unit was built in 1983 and it's ran without issue since we've been here. Even being a 9 seer unit in a 2400 sq/ft house built in 1978 (insulation is sparse) the unit still easily keeps up with demand. I've talked to several other installers and most all the big name brands all use the same compressors. Probably going to replace it soon with a heat pump (keep from using so much fuel oil), but I'm definitely going back with Ruud.