Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-05-13 Name: Mark C
Location: Chicago, IL

"For the record"
I'm a contractor that has been installing A/C systems for over 30 years. The biggest problem I run into on problem systems is improperly installed equipment, not manufacturer issues. 90% of all problems stem from improper installation. Improper brazing techniques (not using nitrogen while brazing ) is a major biggie. Equipment from manufacturer to manufacturer are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the quality of workmanship and who installs the equipment, more so than the name brand. I read through the complaints and most cases are workmanship issues, not bad equipment. In my experience I have found the manufacturers stand behind their equipment. What a manufacturer can't do is warranty a poor installation for workmanship. "You can't fix stupid" on the installation side. My recommendation is you pay for what you get. There are no "apples for apples" in my business. If it's cheaper ask yourself a question, what are you not getting that the other quotes are providing? As in any industry, you pay for quality and experience. Consider this when purchasing not only the product but the service that has to accompany it as well.

Date created: 2016-04-26 Name: Barbara
Location: Fresno, CA

"Problems with Ruud A/C"
My unit is only 2 years old. I also have those defective coils which I understand are no longer being used due to the widespread problems. Because the copper coils leak, I spent $400 to have all the Freon replaced, plus $700 to have the replacement (aluminum) coil installed. Only the coil was covered by warranty. I think this should be handled like an auto recall situation. Ruud should pay for the new coils regardless of the warranty situation, plus the cost of installation and Freon replacement. Is a class action suit applicable?

Date created: 2016-04-21 Name: John Breedlove
Location: Arlington, TX

"Great unit"
I have had this unit for fifteen years and have never had a service call. I owned a Rheem for eighteen years with one call made in the last year of its life. My next door neighbor has had a Ruud for over twenty years with one service call. All I can say is the next unit will be a Ruud, period.

Date created: 2016-03-03 Name: jcruz
Location: Florida

"Worst system ever"
Why? Have had the system for less than 8 years, still under warranty. First issue was a design flaw. They can't repair it, only a band aid. 2nd issue compressor, 3rd now is faulty wiring in the system that somehow is not Ruud's fault. The 100% not covered under warranty system is what the warranty certificate should list as title. Taking the time to write this review in order to spare you from a bad purchase. Now they tell me I have to replace the system at an additional cost of $5000.

Date created: 2015-12-16 Name: Marilyn Deeg
Location: Naples, FL

"Early repairs"
March 2012 - Purchased equipment, $ 4,000. April 2014 - Isolation test $425, replaced the evaporator coil, $799. December 2015 - Replaced TXV valve, pump down and recharge, $799. Total of $2,023 in repairs = 57% of original cost spent in less than 3 years! Also spent more money on annual checkups and diagnostic visit.

Date created: 2015-12-12 Name: Bill

"Warranty"
We had a warranty and after 3 years it cost $1.700.00 to repair coils under the warranty. The unit has 2 holes for wiring which were not plugged so a rat got in. It pays to have holes not used plugged. This is lack of training for installers. The unit was checked the week before it went out.

Date created: 2015-08-10 Name: Fernando Moon
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Very satisfied"
Had a GE unit for 21 years, then replaced it with a Ruud unit. I've had this unit for 11 years. The Ruud unit is excellent. So far no problems. Going strong.

Date created: 2015-08-04 Name: Michael R
Location: Franklin, TN

"Do not buy this unit!"
Horrible service. I wouldn't even give it one star. Let me explain my problem. I bought a Rudd air conditioner about a year ago that Sewell Electric sold me. Everything was fine until this summer. Its been in the upper 90's here in Tennessee and low and behold our Rudd cooling system breaks. We called Sewell since we have the warranty with them so they could come fix what broke. The part that broke was a coil. I looked more into this and it turns out that Rudd systems coil breaks regularly with people having the same problem. Sewell told us we would have the part in a few weeks. Its month 2 and we still don't have the part. We have literally been suffering with my 3 kids and husband in our home. Sitting for the past 2 months in a home that reads 80 degrees inside, luckily we have celling fans and portable fans that we have to turn on to cool ourselves, which is barely enough. But that's not all. Today I tried to figure out what was going on. All I want is the part. I called Sewell and they told me to call Rudd customer service. Rudd told me its not their fault and they told me its Sewell's fault. So now it's a blame game. I call Sewell to tell them what I was told and the lady who I spoke with told me she will hang up on me and she refused to let me speak to the owner of Sewell. On top of that she asked me which country I am from because she wants to know what climate I am from because of my accent. That was incredibly offensive and rude. She also tried the teach me how to read my electric bill, which was shocking. So what I learned from today is that not only is Sewell a horribly rude, discriminative company, they can't even tell me what's wrong with the unit they sold me. I shouldn't be, as the customer, dealing with, spending time, and getting upset with something like this. She is a racist and I'm not the only one who heard what she said. I've never in my life spoken with such awful customer service. It was a horrible experience that I do not want to relive again. I'm to the point where I want to rip the Rudd unit from my wall and not deal with Sewell ever again. Dogs are treated better than the way I was treated today.

Date created: 2015-08-01 Name: Chris
Location: West St. Louis County, MO

"Don't waste your money!"
Purchased both A/C and furnace in April 2012. We live close to St. Louis, MO. Summers are usually hot and humid. We have an 1800 square foot ranch house and keep A/C on during June,July, August and mid-September. Then we shut the air off and open the windows and use our attic fan once the weather cools back to 75-80. With that said...clearly we don't abuse the unit by overuse and always hire an HVAC expert for regular cleanings and change the filter regularly. The unit ran beautifully the summer of 2012 and 2013. We turned it on mid May of 2014 as it was a very hot and dry start to the summer. The unit stop cooling three weeks later! We called a professional who said the condenser coil broke and we need a new one. Good news, it's under warranty. Please keep in mind at this point the unit has only run for two full seasons and 3 weeks of a third season. Our repairman calls the local distributor who calls the Ruud distributor...they don't have any coils as they are being built. It appears many people who own a Ruud had their coils break! We are told one week. That week passes, it's 95 degrees outside. The second week comes around, we were told the part will be ready to ship out. Terrific! Only they didn't tell us that they won't ship the part right away, they wait for the truck to fill rather than ship one part at a time even though it is under warranty. The second week passes, still no part, temperatures again hovering around 95. Third week comes around, by this time I am calling everyone daily, RUUD, their warehouse, the local distributor, etc. Everyone is playing the blame game. The shipping truck finally moves the third week, however, now we have to wait 3 more days so it can make 3-5 stops on its route to St. Louis. The part finally arrives three weeks later. While the part was under warranty the labor, Freon, etc. is not. $700 later we finally have air. Upset that we had to pay for the repair, upset Ruud wouldn't step in and help expedite the shipping on a 2 year old unit. Now it is the summer of 2015, just 1 year and 15 days after we had the condenser coil replaced, it blows again! Once again Ruud won't stand by their product only saying "it's under warranty". The customer service lady Jamie, even suggested it was because of my neighbor and that they probably shot it out with a B B gun. Then she asked, " do you have dogs". Yes, I said. Jamie replied, "Well that is why the coil keeps going out, your dog is peeing on it and corroding the coil". First of all, my dog squats, secondly the coil is 2 feet above the dogs head and thirdly my dog doesn't have opposable thumbs to take the cover off the unit to pee on the coil! The unit is only three years old, it broke down last year and again this year. Repairs cost $700+ each time, plus having to wait 3 weeks for the part to arrive. I can't afford to pay $700 each year, so I opted buy a Lennox. RUUD still refuses to take any blame for the defect, and basically told use there is nothing they will do other than honor the warranty. Turns out the copper coils are made so thin that this is a common problem , not only for us but for anyone who buys a Rheem or Ruud unit. When a company can't keep the replacement parts in stock due to so many going bad, it should be a clear sign it's an inferior product. Bottom line, don't purchase a Ruud unless you like sitting without air in your home for three weeks during the summer, and be prepared to spend $700 every year for your replacement parts. But as Ruud said, "It's not our fault".

Date created: 2015-07-31 Name: Chris
Location: St. Louis county, MO

"Coil went bad second season of use"
Purchased a Ruud air conditioner and heating unit and had it professionally installed. Keep it clean, have regular professional cleanings/check ups. The coil blew the second year! Middle of June in St. Louis, heat 90+, humidity, etc. The part was under warranty, however, Ruud took over 3 weeks to deliver the part! I called Ruud to find out the hold up and got the run around. Basically boiled down to them wanting to save on shipping. The part was professionally installed, now two years later, it's not cooling again! We just had a tune up/check in April. Hating this product and the service or lack of that comes with it. Don't buy!