Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2017-08-07 Name: Steven Moore
Location: Port Charlotte, FL

"Piece of crap"
Condenser condenser unit rusting after 1 1/2 years. Had to replace fan motor (rusted and burnt the coil out ). Still under warranty but Rudd service rep wanted $ 450. To install it. Rudd won't send me the warranted motor will only send to a service rep. Can't get a sales rep out to look at the rusting. Compressor is rusting and will probably be the next thing to go. How can a unit that is rated for outside use rust to a point of deterioration that the motor falls apart. Buyer beware don't buy Rudd or Rheem same company. Units are no good and company won't come and look at it.

Date created: 2017-07-21 Name: annette laxen
Location: Minnesota

"Don't buy this one"
Worthless piece of crap I had to buy a window air conditioner to keep cool.

Date created: 2017-07-17 Name: Debra
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

"Garbage"
My 3 year old unit had to have the coil replaced. Four pounds of Freon to the tune of $300 leaked out through the defective solder around the coils. Then my copper coil was replaced with an aluminum coil. Piece of garbage. There has to be a better made unit.

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Cindy
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"PIECE OF GARBAE"
I couldn't even register this when it was installed in 2012. Now, it's broken after only 5 years. I don't even know if it's under warranty. Doubt it. Flushed $4500 down the drain. Awaiting repairman's call.

Date created: 2017-06-26 Name: Donald
Location: Arizona

"Never again"
Paid $6000 for our Ruud 3 years ago, was just told it needs a new coil, which has to be ordered and then we have to pay for all labor and Freon. Seriously, this is Ruud having defective products and we the consumer has to pay for their horrible workmanship. How in the hell is this fair? Never, will we own a Ruud again and we will share Ruuds faulty workmanship with everyone we know!!

Date created: 2017-06-18 Name: joe w

Window unit cooled my 1st floor better than the 11,000 dollar piece of junk.

Date created: 2017-05-16 Name: T Everitt
Location: Mississippi

"Do not buy RUUD"
I bought unit in 2010, have had to replace the coil twice. Rudd furnished the coil but they kept sending the defective coil until my warranty expired, now I will have to replace the coil at my expense. If I have to buy a Rudd coil I will replace the unit. This company will not get anymore of my money.

Date created: 2017-04-15 Name: Mark
Location: St. Louis, MO

This company promoted dated equipment that was not engineered to handle the higher pressures that modern coolant requires. Can you say leak! My contractor has been bending over backwards to help me and a large number of other customers that suffered the installation of this under spec a coil. The connections of the coil are not qualified to handle the updated pressures and ruud knew this while pushing them out the door as fast as they could. I am now told that I the customer will have to pick up the tab on changing out to updated equipment as ruud refuses to cover the costs of an intentional deception. If you are going to drop 6 to 10 grand on an ac system look very hard at the name brand you are buying.

Date created: 2017-04-14 Name: Janie
Location: Bullhead City, AZ

"Faulty RUUD unit"
The ruud air conditioner I unfortunately own was installed in 2011. I have had to repair it every year since. One welding issue was covered under warranty. The other issues weren't. It works for a while then goes out, no air, no heat, just blows air.

Date created: 2017-04-04 Name: James Oates
Location: La Feria, TX

"Made in Mexico says enough."
The contractor installed a Rudd air conditioner in new house. When all the Freon ran out after just 18 months it was found the coil was all oxidized and leaking. The warranty did not cover the "supplier exchange fee", the labor, or Freon. $700.00 later it was working. Now just 6 months later the new replacement coil sprang a leak. So now I am looking at an additional $700 - $1000 to get cold air again. Before the manufacturing moved to Mexico, the quality was fine, and notice all the good reviews are for American made units. Here in The Lower Rio Grande Valley air conditioners run year around, except for one or two weeks in January, with temperature highs are 80 degrees in winter, and 105 degrees in the summer. I've talked with several different companies, and all said Rudd had coil manufacturing problems that aren't addressed by Rudd. I can't find a Rudd corporate address to file a complaint, but why would the care if they can continue to get $700.00 a year for maintenance fees.