Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-10-04 Name: Steve Auglen
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

"17 years and going strong"
Our Ruud a/c units are original to our home, built in 1996. They have always been well-maintained, with yearly condenser cleaning. Contactors were replaced two years ago and last month the downstairs unit started freezing up. It took 2 lbs of Freon. The tech replaced suspected leaky schrader valves. Otherwise, they have been problem free. Our block consists of eight homes, all built in 1996. That's 16 a/c units in total, and only two have been replaced. My neighbor on the right had an evaporator leak and decided to replace his system last year. My other neighbor just replaced his unit, which apparently stopped cooling to do a restriction in the condenser. So I figure that after 17 years and two relatively minor repairs, this air-conditioner owes me nothing.

Date created: 2014-08-19 Name: Research contractors
Location: U.S of A

"Air Conditioners are only as good as installers"
Air Conditioners are only as good as the installers no matter what brand. The A/C industry needs more qualified mechanics not part changers and equipment blamers.

Date created: 2014-08-18 Name: C. ROBERTS
Location: GA

"COMPLAINT"
My unit is not quite two years old and we have complained about the ac unit problems at least several times about the coils and leaking antifreeze. Please do not buy!!!!!

Date created: 2014-08-03 Name: Abraham montes
Location: Charleston

"Never showed up"
First time I call, the person told me "what you want me to do" and then said call the next day because he didn't have time. Second call they never showed so they reschedule another date and last call they call to tell me they came when I was not at home and specifically told them a available time. Worst services, worst attitude, I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Date created: 2014-07-02 Name: R Mitchell
Location: NJ

"Don't buy a Ruud"
Have a 4 year old Ruud 4 ton unit. The txv failed and sent debris throughout the system. Ruud customer service is less than useless and says it must be the installer's negligence.

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: J Hines
Location: Houston Texas

"I bought junk"
Had our system replaced the end of March, it has been down more than has worked. I will never buy another Ruud. It's in the 90's today - I wish the ac worked.

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: K Pulliam
Location: Southern MD

"Old Ruud Still Working"
We purchased a house a couple years ago with a straight a/c Ruud outdoor unit. Although its just an a/c unit (only runs half of the year) the unit was built in 1983 and it's ran without issue since we've been here. Even being a 9 seer unit in a 2400 sq/ft house built in 1978 (insulation is sparse) the unit still easily keeps up with demand. I've talked to several other installers and most all the big name brands all use the same compressors. Probably going to replace it soon with a heat pump (keep from using so much fuel oil), but I'm definitely going back with Ruud.

Date created: 2014-01-26 Name: ddevereaux
Location: Northeast Florida

"Extremely happy with RUDD .... Installed in 1988 still goes strong!"
We have a condo with the rudd furnace / air conditioner, Apparently it was installed in 1988, It still runs great! It may (or may not) be top of the line but it has always performed great for us. Sad to say we are looking into a new system, good to know we can still count on Ruud products!!

Date created: 2013-09-16 Name: OLGA PINA
Location: Austin, Texas

"Problems With Design"
I have owned this unit since 2004. It had been working and all of a sudden it tripped the fusebox and it went out. I went to the fusebox to fix it and it worked for about 20 minutes and it tripped again. Called repairmen and it seems that their design on my United was flawed. The compressor wires were zip tied to suction line and has rubbed against the insulation off of wire and caused it to arc and made a hole, losing all freon due to that. It's a miracle it just did not explode! VERY POOR DESIGN WHEN ELECTRICAL WIRES ARE ZIP TIED AND CAUSED IT TO FRAY THE WIRING AND THE LIVE WIRE BURNED A HOLE IN THE INSULATED LINE THAT FED FREON TO THE UNIT! MY BILL? $1000.00!

Date created: 2013-07-28 Name: jimmy jones
Location: mississippi

"Only Use Ruud"
I have a Ruud unit complete system at home, I love it . Have not had any problems at all. I install Ruud units on a daily basis. Rheem and Ruud is the only units I recommend. They run and get the job done and if mess up, it's simple to fix. Some people talk bad about them on here, all newer units have Copeland compressors in them and you will have a few lemons in any unit but Ruud is a very few. Just don't buy a Trane or a Lennox, too expensive to buy and parts are to high and they are junk in my opinion.