Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-10-23 Name: R. Sterling

"Noisy AC"
This is the noisiest compressor ever! This unit sits outside my bedroom and I have been unable to sleep through the night for months. It wakes me up every time it kicks on because the compressor makes a loud clanging noise. We have been fighting with the dealer for months to replace this unit that is under warranty. My advice is to not buy any rheem product.

Date created: 2011-10-08 Name: homeowner
Location: Midwest

"Do Not Buy Rheem Products Online; Warranty Will Not Apply"
I never owned a Rheem and I have no complaint. I just want to get the word out that before buying any cooling or heating systems/components online including ebay you must read the original warranty from the manufacturer. Many now state in their exceptions if it is bought online the warranty is invalid. Some warranties are available to view online at the manufacturer's websites. Comfortmaker, Rheem and Coleman all have warranties that are null and void if unit bought online.

Date created: 2011-10-06 Name: cindy hess
Location: mckenzie, tn

"BLOWER MOTOR"
Bought a Rheem rqnabo48jk unit when we built our new house. Five year warranty. Well its been 5 years 2 month and had to replace the blower fan motor. $400 for the motor they won't replace it because it was 2 months over the warranty. Sad when its all about the greed in the money we can make on the people. Buy the cheaper materials knowing they won't last and replace the new one in hopes it goes out after another 5 years.

Date created: 2011-09-21 Name: E. Bokenkamp
Location: Birmingham, AL

"3-ton condensing unit"
In 13 years of service I only had to replace two run capacitors, and last year I had to replace a fan motor. The outside unit (compressor) is still running fine, but I needed to replace the entire split system due to a freon leak in the evaporator coil, which is 21 years old. I have no complaints with my Rheem unit and got the service I expected. Receiving good service out of a unit is having it installed initially by a well known, reputable contractor and then having regular maintenance performed.

Date created: 2011-09-12 Name: D. Petrich
Location: Boca Raton, FL

"Worst Unit and Company EVER"
Don't ever purchase a rheem. Have owned this unit and have had problems with it since year one. Do not use All Comfort Air in Boca either. The owner, Larry could care less about your comfort. We've already dumped over $500 in service calls this year $260 in the last 3 months alone. My unit will start to go up in temperature at any point in the given day. At which I have to turn it off for an hour or so and hope that it then cools down. If not, I have to do this all over again. The one time I called Rheem Manufacturer in Atlanta the customer service representative has a totally scripted speech which she kept regurgitating. Then some loud mouth "supervisor" gets on and starts yelling at me. I have a 5 Seer unit and nobody seems to give a darn that this unit has never worked properly. In hindsight, my old Carrier was ugly but never had a problem with it in over 10 years.

Date created: 2011-09-02 Name: L.C.
Location: Charleston, SC

"Tenured individual with Rheem background"
Most complaints noted below sound like installation issues. Rheem has been ranked #1 by consumer reports as far as reliability, especially in regards to its furnaces. For your money you will not find a better system. Minus general component issues that are outside a manufacturers control, they are a unit intended for the long haul. Also, they are one of the few manufacturers that tries to head off any discovered defects before it gets in the hands of the end user. Bi-annual maintenance and front end research on the installing contractor will make all the difference in the world, no matter what system you choose. Investing in an hvac system should have no less due diligence than buying a car, taking on a mortgage or sending your child off to college. It is a major expense! Have faith in a respectable contractor and if they offer a Rheem feel lucky!

Date created: 2011-08-15 Name: Laura Barreiro
Location: Coconut Creek, Florida

"Struggling to feel cool at a great expense"
December 2010 purchased two top of the line Rheem units from Mercury Masters in Pompano Beach, Florida a 2 ton & 4 ton variable speed. Hate it! It has been one problem after another on each unit. Most annoying problem is the humidity. The units seem to cool but, never enough the house never feels comfortable even with the humidity control thermostats. The thermostat reads 42% humidity but, the house feels like 75% and damp. The volume of air flow from vents are very low. Never had these issues before. No one seems to be able to figure it out or help. Mercury Masters owner Randy Ricker has walked away from this matter after charging a whopping $ 11,600.00 for these systems. Buyer beware!

Date created: 2011-08-08 Name: Steve
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

"Rheem-Customer Service Terrible"
Purchased Complete Brand New Rheem ac system in 2008. In 2009 the ac stopped working. Suddenly, I called the company that installed and that I bought equipment from. The Tech came out and diagnosed the problem in 30 seconds (bad breaker inside Air Handler), the tech said, "oh this is a huge problem" and we have contacted Rheem several times. $200 Dollar service call and new breaker (same model). Year to the day later (2010) the ac goes out, call company they send a tech (different person this time) and he immediately says "oh, I'll guarantee you the problem is the breaker inside the air handler and sure enough same problem." This tech also told me "don't turn on the heat" because that will immediately fry the breaker. WTF paid $3,000 grand for new AC/Heat unit and have tell the wife don't dare touch the heat. Thank God we live in South Florida so not a huge issue, completely ludicrous, insane nonsense, but not a huge issue. Now its 2011 and you guessed it, ac went out yesterday and the third different Tech showed up and said "bet you have a bad breaker in air handler unit." By this time I was really upset and the ac company told that sold and installed said I had to take it up with Rheem, so I called their customer service today and absolutely no help, said they have never heard of the issue. I did some investigation on my own in some General/HVAC chatrooms etc....and apparently replacing air-handler internal breakers on Rheem units keeps the techs busy 5 to 6 times a week each. Needless to say, if I knew that my Rheem ac has a yearly $200 dollar service call associated with it I would have looked elsewhere. Don't buy rheem.

Date created: 2011-08-05 Name: N.Savarino
Location: Amite, Louisiana

"No improvement over older unit."
I have had this new Rheem 3.5 ton, 13 sear, unit for about 2 weeks. The 3.5 ton replaced a Rheem 2.5 ton which developed a freon leak and would not hold freon for more than a few days. The older unit was over 20 years old and served me well. On days reaching over 87 degrees the older unit could not keep up and would run constantly and the temperature in my house would gradually go up one degree about every 45 minutes. The older unit never blew very cold air but instead the air was very cool but not cold. It did the job on days that were not very hot. Thinking it's time to replace the unit and going by the good service I got out of the older unit I decided to again pick Rheem and go with the 3.5 ton. My brick house is 1400 square feet of living area with 8 ft. ceilings, has double insulated windows and insulation in the attic. Windows have blinds and curtains to keep out sunlight and heat. I was told that a 3 ton would be sufficient for my size house and that a 3.5 ton should have no trouble cooling down to 72 to 74 degrees. As I type this review at 5:25 P.M., the new unit has been running constantly since noon and the temperature holding at 77 degrees. The unit cannot get the house lower than 77 degrees. It is 98 degrees outside. I have the thermostat set on 76 degrees. The new unit does not blow any colder air than the old unit. The air coming from the ducts feels like my older unit....just cool.......not cold. The air return(filter) is mounted on the ceiling right under the unit so the return is not the problem. Before you buy a new unit go check out units from friend's homes to see which blows nice and cold and which are dependable. $4700.00 wasted. Forget about Rheem.

Date created: 2011-07-27 Name: William S,
Location: Birmingham, Al

"A HVAC Tech's word of advice"
I work for a Union company that does commercial work 95% of the time. We mostly do service work to maintain systems for large buildings and telecommunication systems. I can tell by reading most of the reviews that a good 90+ percent of the issues brought up on here are because of either under sizing of the units or poor install. The thing you need to understand first is, just because a man comes to your house with a set of gauges does not mean he knows how to use them. Besides that there are a lot of people out in this world that just want to take your money regardless of the qualifications they have. I feel for the people out there that have had all these bad issues with the Rheem units. I myself trade with a company that sells the rheem line and I have put a good bit of them in on the side for family/friends and have only had one unit that has given me an issue with a leak on a reversing valve. I just want people to understand if your unit is running all the time and it's a split-system (two pieces, one inside and one outside) it could be overcharged, undercharged, undersized, bad expansion valve, incorrect piston, undersized suction line or contaminates in the system. I've seen people put a system in before and never pull a vacuum which is critical for the correct operation of a new split system. There are people who do pull a vacuum for about 20-30mins and say that’s good enough when in fact you need a gauge called a micron gauge that is looking for 500microns before a true full vacuum has been achieved. As for the units with noisy outdoor units it could be a few causes. 1 it could have a very dirty condenser coil or 2 it could be seriously overcharged 3 it could be a poorly insulated bulb on a TXV which is causing flooding of the evaporator which will send liquid refrigerant back to the compressor causing it to wash the oil from its sump. As for the people with heat pump units that heat when they should be cooling and cooling when it should be heating. the wire going to the reversing vale is incorrectly landed in the t-stat or the t-stat is not properly programed. Most units now "fail to heat" so in the winter time if the reversing valve fails you wont freeze to death. All in all there are many issues that can cause leaks and poor performance but I can promise you if the person who puts it in looks like he just left the bar before he came to install your unit then chances are you are about to be taken for a ride, and not one you're going to enjoy. The best thing you can do is ask the contractor to take a load calculation for your house (which in Alabama where I am from) is required by the state on every home either new install or replacement. From there you need to make sure your ductwork is correct, This requires the use of a ductulator. This will show the proper size of duct work throughout the house to properly put air/heat in the correct area to maintain comfort. In closing, just because its expensive does not mean that the original unit is expensive -- it just means you're getting taken. Its best to find a company that was recommended by someone you know and you can go look at the work they do. Also just because the guy says he has been doing it for 20+ years does not mean he has been doing it RIGHT..... Remember if you hear the phrase “Too hot to hold or Beer Can cold” kindly ask the tech to leave and find someone that knows how to use a temp sensor......