Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2014-09-08 Name: Tony Scalici
Location: Fl.

"5 coil leaks, worthless units"
Terrible air conditioners. Very good installer, who recommended the new Rheem. Needed three, one 5 ton and two 2 ton. Installed, thought it was made in the United States. Label said 'Made in Mexico' when it arrived. 1 year warranty, 10 year on parts. Have had a leak in all three coils, finally replaced 2 ton coil with new aluminum. Cost for 5 Freon refills, labor for 4 solders and one installation of new coil was over $2,000. Plus, running the air conditioner with low Freon cost $200 more per month. The company will not pay for the original coil's labor repairs. They only replace the coil if the leak is not stopped with solder. Going to sell 2 1/2 year old air conditioners and replace them. With the cost of labor, they are not worth keeping. The installer has dropped the repair fee. However, it's still costly. Go with American made.

Date created: 2014-08-18 Name: Peter Curtis
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

"Rheem has failed on me four times in under 5 years."
Remember the unit is still under its five year warranty. Installed in Sept 2009. In 1st year the first fault was a wire that overheated at the crimp on a jumper and burnt open. Call out charge $75. Second fault in year three was lack of Freon. $225 for a top up and that included the Techs call out charge. Third fault at 3 1/2 years was a replacement DC Motor and control board in Air handler. Charge $475. They hold no parts on hand these days. They had to Fed Ex overnight the parts, so I suspect most of that was shipping cost and labor. The fault I have now at just under five years is a bad capacitor / bad compressor, this repair was $900 but I opted to change out the whole outside unit for a new 2014 equivalent model for $1100. My old Carrier AC had just three faults in 14 years, the delay timer then a start capacitor both changed by myself and easily found replacement parts costing under $100. and finally the Expansion housing cracked open. Only then did opt to . change it out for the new Rheem. So now basically I've replaced every moving / electrical component except for the Air handler coils, house piping and cabinet. They tell me my 5 year warranty ends next month and won't be extended even though I have brand new compressor unit and most of the Air handler i just a year or so old. So my RHEEM has been a total disaster of a unit. Wish me luck that I have now got rid of all the LEMON parts and get a true run for my money..

Date created: 2014-08-14 Name: Lucille Vassil
Location: Delray Beach, FL

"Do not buy Rheem"
I purchased my Rheem in 2011. I only had a 2 year labor warranty on the whole unit. In February 2014 I had to replace the motor. It cost me $453 for labor. This week I have to replace some valve that distributes the Freon. This will cost me another $453. The unit has never cooled my house like my old unit. I have to put the temperature on 74 to get the house cool. I use to keep the temperature on 77 with my old unit. I feel Rheem should give me some of my money back. Why should I suffer for this bad manufacture.

Date created: 2014-07-27 Name: G.Ford
Location: Phx. Az.

"Truth"
Reps from other companies come here and post comments. The moderator removed the real ones. Had Rheem and every other brand since 1971 installed. We own rentals (apts, trailers). We've purchased as many as 8 at a time. Easy to get parts. Consumer reports has them listed in the top 2. Everyone on the web knows this site is bogus.

Date created: 2014-07-01 Name: Barry and Diann Dickman
Location: Tamarac,florida

"I hate Rheem"
We live in a condo in Tamarac, Fl. A new roof was being installed and a company by the name of Sawgrass said whoever wanted to replace their 27 yr old units would not have to pay for the crane to lift them onto the roof. Almost all 21 units opted to get new a/C. My 27 yr old unit only had 2 repairs all needing freon. My 6 yr old Rheem required a new motor in 2 years I know the service charge was $75. However when they came to install the covered motor which took 15 minutes the charge was $225. The actual cost of a new motor. No satisfaction from Sawgrass. Three yrs later another motor failed and replacement $375. Today our compressor went $850. Stay away from Rheem.

Date created: 2014-06-22 Name: Anu A
Location: Hollywood, FL

"Burning Motors within 3 - 4 years"
I decided to write this comment after having the same issue in two different Rheem air conditioners. I had an old a/c (not a Rheem), which worked for over 15 years without. It had some rust so the service person advised me to consider replacing it with a new Rheem a/c unit which I did. In about 3 - 4 years, the a/c stopped working. What I found out was that the motor was burned out. Since I could not locate the company which installed the a/c, I decided to pay a technician to replace the motor (paid around $750.00 for both labor and parts). Then I moved to this new house, which is only 3 years old. The builder had installed Rheem air conditioners in every new house. Guess what, two weeks ago (June 2014), the a/c stopped working. I called the company which had installed the air conditioners in this community. The problem was the same, the motor has burned. They came and replaced the motor, but charged me $290.00 for labor. I contacted Rheem by an e-mail. They were good at responding, but said "it is my responsibility to pay for labor." My point is "Rheem is making inferior quality products that break within 3 - 4 years." Otherwise, I do not have to go through the same problem with two different units. My suggestion for anyone who reads this is to do more research on other brands before making your final decision. If I have a choice, I will not go with Rheem air conditioner again.

Date created: 2014-06-04 Name: L. Tiberi
Location: Collingswood, New Jersey

"Old Rheems Good - Newer Rheems not so good."
I have had a Rheem central air conditioner for 16 years, and it has just now died. After reading many of the reviews here, I have concluded that the old Rheems were good and lasted many years with no troubles. However, all of the newer Rheems are getting bad reviews. So I guess they don't make them like they used to. Now I am hesitating to get another Rheem.

Date created: 2014-05-16 Name: Kimberly Ruiz
Location: Tennessee

"POS"
Unit is less then 2 years old and already broken. Repairman saying its a "valve that is stuck". Unit has been down 9 days. Takes 5 plus days to get parts from distributor. Unacceptable!! Would never buy another Rheem.

Date created: 2014-05-10 Name: Papa Herf
Location: ATL, GA

"Rheem = ream"
Paid $6000 for unit 3 years ago; just had to fork out $254 to find the leak. The leak was the coil that Rheem is being sued over.... And now it's gonna cost another $894 for the labor to replace it. Still working on getting them to honor the 5 year warranty. I bought mine through Home Depot... If they mention any kind of Rheem product tell them hell no... I am in contact now with HD to get them to drop Rheem or their installers to quit using them.

Date created: 2014-04-27 Name: A. Lathrop
Location: Killeen, Texas

"AC Broken"
Bought a new house in March 2012 used my ac unit for one summer and now this summer it does not want to work. In addition, my warranty was only two years for the ac unit. Now I have to figure out what to do. I do know the unit outside is a Rheem and it is not working, so I probably have to spend money to get it fixed or just get rid of it.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>