Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2015-12-21 Location: White Post, Virginia

"Rheem 5 Ton Split System Does the Job"
I had a Rheem RP15 5 ton split system heat pump/air conditioner installed eighteen months ago. This was to replace a sixteen year old Rheem split system which had given us very good service. The new Rheem system has a SEER rating of 15, making it much less expensive to operate. The outdoor unit has an attractive finish and is very quiet while in operation. The air handler was installed in the attic and is virtually silent. It heats and cools our 3500 square foot home very efficiently. The gauge ports are accessed externally, which pleases our service technician immensely. The condenser coils are easily cleaned with a water hose. It has been serviced but needed nothing but coil cleaning. The existing electrical supply was adequate for the new unit, making installation much simpler and less expensive. I am very pleased with this unit and recommend it highly for new or replacement installation. I would certainly purchase this Rheem model again.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Name: Kevin FitzMaurice
Location: Surfside Beach, SC

"Run, run fast, run far"
Replaced a working 11 year old A/C heat pump in November 2014. Had to have it repaired a week later for a stuck valve. Exterior unit was replaced under warranty two weeks later because the stuck valve had somehow contaminated the entire system. I was told this was a manufacturing defect. The coldest night of the winter (19 degrees f) the system failed, and the interior temperature was 56 degrees. There was approximately 1/4 of "snow" on the exterior unit, and it was not running. Replace a defective defrost sensor, and the unit ran, but never seemed to be warm. The auxiliary heat is almost always on. Last week the heat failed again, then the A/C stopped working. The contractor tried to fix a stuck valve (again) with a factory approved lubricant, and this failed. Currently waiting authorization from the manufacturer for more repairs. I believe we will be replacing the exterior unit once again. In less than a month, labor for repairs becomes my responsibility as the 10 year warranty covers labor for one year only.

Date created: 2015-09-28 Name: Will M.
Location: Arizona

"Stay away!"
HVAC unit is less than 3 years old and I have had to recharge refrigerant twice this summer. I replaced a 27-year-old Rheem unit with this one. Big mistake. Quality is obviously not what it once was.

Date created: 2015-09-17 Name: Lee
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL

"Rheem prestige 4 ton 16 SEER"
Unit is a piece of junk. Had to have the outside unit replaced the first week, the compressor locked up. Then I had to get condenser unit main board replaced, it fried. The unit has leaked from day one. It's been serviced and charged 3 times over the last 2 years. Now they have found the leak in the evaporator coil, so I have to pay labor to get that replaced. I had a Goodman before this and didn't have anywhere near the issues. Don't buy this junk; do your research first.

Date created: 2015-09-05 Name: Chuck
Location: Boca Raton, FL

"Criticism"
Cools well when the temperature is below 85, then becomes very inefficient and labors all day to keep temperature at 78. It has broken down (stopped cooling) for various reasons at least 6 times in 3 years. We replaced the coil after 3 years of use, which was quite expensive. The quality of A/C parts in general are poor. I would not be surprised if any parts at all were made in the USA, my A/C was assembled in Mexico. Prior to this A/C I had a Trane 2 ton for 17 years and was very satisfied. I am sorry now that I did not spend a few more dollars and buy a Trane once more. Bottom line...I would definitely not recommend purchasing a Rheem A/C.

Date created: 2015-08-28 Name: I Sallai
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Customer service"
Very unsatisfied with Rheem air conditioning. Customer Service was totally worthless. Takes a week to get a part which is warranted. They claim that the warranty on parts does not give them any time requirement for delivery. I would never, ever purchase a Rheem air conditioner system again. It was a horrible decision on my part.

Date created: 2015-08-26 Name: darleen
Location: Boca Raton, FL

"Very disappointed in quality of Rheem A/C. Had trouble from the beginning and 4 years later, it stinks."
Very unhappy I chose Rheem. It has been trouble since the beginning. Now, 4 years later, I have to pay seven hundred dollars for a coil part. It never seems to work right since I purchased it 4 years ago. This is not the only AC I've ever had, but it's the most costly.

Date created: 2015-08-24 Name: Ts
Location: Baldwinsville, NY

"Terrible"
I've had this unit for 6 years. I'm on my third fan engine. Don't buy an AC unit from them.

Date created: 2015-08-01 Name: phil
Location: Naples, FL

"Coil out in 15 months"
The unit runs well and cools efficiently, but the coil sprung a leak just over a year into service at a cost of nearly $1000.

Date created: 2015-07-29 Name: thylden
Location: Tampa, FL

"Disappointment"
As a contractor and business owner, I was completely let down by Rheem today. I went to do a 7.5 ton s/c split system and Rheem seems to have only put the unit half way together. There was no evaporator fan control relay/contactor. Ok, I supplied the 3 phase contactor. Onward, they seem to have some magic way to generate 24v that I am not privy to, as the unit has no transformer. Never mind the way the line set ties to the coil. One of the 7/8 suction sides was expanded, but not the other. I did one of these units about a year ago and it wasn't in such an incomplete state. I have no way in good conscience to be able to recommend them as a good product. I guess they circle the problem for you.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>