Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-09-10 Name: Matt Hatfield
Location: huntsville, al

"Do Not Buy a Rheem"
Do not buy a Rheem. Had split unit installed 3 years ago. Have already spent over $5000 in repairs. Distributor gave me a new unit 'cause the first one was bad. Now, having all the same expensive problems with new unit. Repairman telling me it's a bad unit as well. Talked to Rheem, they don't care and won't do anything to fix it. Highly recommend never purchasing one and tell anyone thinking about it to get a different brand.

Date created: 2013-09-02 Name: Paul H

"Cools Great"
We installed a Value series 13 seer Rheem AC to supplement our wonderful top of the line heat pump in our main living area. The heat pump could not keep up on 90+ degree days. With the central air conditioner, the house is cold and comfortable even on the hottest of days.

Date created: 2013-07-12 Name: S.Jenny
Location: Bakersfield Ca.

"The Best Ever"
I'm a girl. I'm not gonna jump up and down and tell you how great this is. Check all the major sites that review central A/C and the evidence is there. Great price, quality, and support. Rheem is the best choice. Trane is too expensive. Carrier is nice. It's solid and works in the hottest weather. Very quiet. I'm 72 and have had several others. Sorry guys, girls are smart too. You can't show me one brand that has all positive reviews.

Date created: 2013-07-09 Name: danny A
Location: texas

"Don't Buy"
Unit 15PJL/RHLL purchased unit 10-28-2010. Had to replace coil 7-25-12. Today, 7-09-13 we are told the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. This unit was purchased new at a cost of over $6,500 and it is junk.

Date created: 2013-07-01 Name: L. Hanson
Location: Santa Clarity, Ca

"Unit Does Not Work. RHEEM Expects Customer to Pay"
This unit was purchased in November 2012. It arrived with no coolant but installer was able to fill it and get it working for a test. As soon as hot weather set in, though, and it actually had to run, it stopped cooling after a couple of days. Contractor repaired it again, but the same thing happened. Now we're going through the heat wave with no air conditioning. Rheem will send replacement parts (a week later) but will not pay any labor or even shipping. This warranty is bogus as the unit never worked and Rheem is not assuming the responsibility. Would strongly recommend never going with Rheem.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: M Perino
Location: Illinois

"Ran Great for 27 Years"
I never had to do anything to this unit until it finally quit this year. Put in, in 1985 and literally never had to do anything except keep it clean.

Date created: 2013-05-31 Name: DAN CICONE
Location: marylaND

"3 Ton Unit"
Lasted me 13 years so far, leaks some freon 22. Looking to buy a Trane going with the warranty like 100000 mile cars warranty. I did have one problem with the installer, it's a Rheem. It says so in the condenser, big letters but the evaporator wasn't a Rheem, and the pan rusted till the furnace was well rusted. If someone says their putting a brand name in, better be sure it's not a cheap shit evaporator he's sticking in there. They can only fool me once cheap ass installer.

Date created: 2013-05-17 Name: Rob R
Location: Valencia, CA

"So Far, So Quiet!"
We had a new Rheem 16 seer 2 stage AC system installed. The AC is the RARL-060JEZ, a 5 ton non-communicating 2 stage compressor. I wanted 2 stage mostly because we were upsizing from 4 to 5 tons. The 4 worked well in most circumstances and I didn't want to lose the ability to get both floors consistently cool. The other thing I was interested in was to have a quiet system. Our unit sits outside our dining room window. I was very excited to see that the Rheem RARL-060JEZ is a very "short" (33 inches tall) unit. It seems most of the newer high efficiency units are taller rather than wide. The Rheem fit beautifully and doesn't block the view out the window. The biggest surprise is the noise level, or lack thereof. You can stand next to the window, mere inches from it, and not hear the unit at all. You can hear the soft sound of air rushing through the vent, and that's about it. Even the start-up sound is virtually inaudible from inside. It's incredibly quiet, far more quiet than I would have expected. Only time will tell about the reliability, but so far I'm extremely impressed.

Date created: 2013-05-13 Name: A.S.
Location: PHOENIX

"Rheem does Have an Evaporator Coil Problem"
I have handled Rheem for over 22 years. Over all, they generally outperformed most anything out there. Sure they had problems here and there. Starting in 2005 when they came out with their new "designated horizontal" heat pumps, things changed. In a nutshell, the evaporator coils do leak freon chronically. I have had to replace over 20 coils in these units. All of which I put in. Also had some problems with the change- over valves. Split heat pump evaporator coils also have chronic leak issues. Some of the units are on the third evaporator coil. I have customers tell me to my face that they think their unit is a peice of junk and are unhappy with them. I would be to. Once I realized this was not an isolated problem on a couple of units, I jumped ship in 2009 and started carrying another brand with superb success and literally no call backs. Thank god. I do care about my customers. Unfortunately, the labor is only covered for the first year. Only if extended warranty was purchased would it be covered beyond that. Parts are covered for ten years with online registration. I feel as a contractor that I got screwed by Rheem just like my customers.

Date created: 2013-05-02 Name: Sam Vagle
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Nothing but Trouble"
On March 2009, I purchased a very expensive Rheem combination gas heating/electric cooling AC unit, model rrpl-b048jk10x. In 2012, the dual capacitor went out then lost 3 lbs. of r-410A freon, again lost 2 lbs. freon and poor wiring installation. As I write this review, I am now awaiting a new coil that has been ordered. I paid $5,700 for this unit, and I am now approaching approximately $3,000 in labor fees for repairs of warranted parts. My repairman contacted Rheem who openly admitted to him, of several manufacture defects of this particular model. Stay away from Rheem!