Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous1213141516171819202122Next >>

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: Henry
Location: Northern Kentucky

"Old reliable"
I bought a Rheem scroll compressor 3-ton, 10 seer split system in 1999 to replace a York 3-ton 8 seer conventional compressor that failed when a technician reconnected it incorrectly after it had been removed for some foundation work. The Rheem has been a solid performer and delivered reliable, economical cooling for 9 seasons. I've read about the people with problems and I really think it comes down to installer competence and homeowner oversight. Also I wonder if some of these systems are over- or undersized. You have to stand there and watch the installer pull a vacuum on the lines for 45-60 minutes before they open the refrigerant valves. That's the only way to ensure that the moisture is removed from the lines. I say something like "How long you gonna pull vacuum on it?" So they understand you're no dummy. You also have to insist on having a decent-sized dryer installed to collect any moisture that may have been missed. Also avoid the quick-connects and insist on all copper brazed connections. a dry, fully sealed system should last virtually forever.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: J. Johnson
Location: Vinegrove, KY

"Rpfa-030jas"
Great air conditioner but freezes up a lot

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: M. Stockwell
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"One of the first R-410a units"
I got my system 7-31-2002. The furnace works great but the air conditioner never was cold enough. My bills were no less than with the older inefficient unit I replaced. Then a few years ago I started having part time problems with the compressor. It finally died completely last week. Seems to me like six years is not very long to last.

Date created: 2008-06-10 Name: K.
Location: Enola, PA

"Too many repairs and problems"
I built my house in Jan '04. So far, the repairman has had to come and fix something on my Rheem A/C unit/Heat pump 3 times. Right now I am waiting for him to replace the A/C compressor which just failed, conveniently during 100 degree weather.

Date created: 2008-06-03 Name: A. Dela
Location: Orland, FL

"Central A/C"
From the very beginning we had problems. They had to change the condesator due to rust (even though it was a new unite). They cannot find a leak in the unit, but every year we have to call for service (need refrigerant).

Date created: 2008-06-03 Name: Rheem Sux
Location: Up Shiz Creek

"Mad as all heck"
They did not honor their 5 year warenty

Date created: 2008-05-13 Name: Mark Snyder
Location: Hickory, NC

"We Bought a New Home and it Had a Rheem AC"
We bought a new home and it had a Rheem ac rpmc024jaz, and after living in the house for 3 years the compressor blew in the unit, we had a service person come out and replace the compressor, which cost us 425.00 and that is with the part still being under warranty. Then low and behold it has been 8 months and that compressor is blown, I am trying to deal with Rhemm to have someone see why this unit is going through compressors, but as of yet no luck!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-05-11 Name: J. Price
Location: Biloxi, MS

I bought a house in May of 2007. The home inspector said the ac system looked pretty good, even though it was about 12 years old. That summer it worked fine and didn't have any problems cooling my house. My power bills were actually pretty low. This week I started it up (May 08) after cleaning out the permanent filter and cleaning the outside unit. I noticed that almost every electrical component, the accumulator, the pump, etc. on the outside unit was rusting. I turned it back on after cleaning and it blows really hard. Problem is that it is not cold. Called a service man out on the weekend and he told me that freon was leaking all over the inside A-coil and the outside units. He pretty much told me that it would be the same cost to replace all the parts as it would to get a new system. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a rheem or not. Reading some of the reviews and other feedback online seems like the only thing you are getting is a "Rheem" job.

Date created: 2008-04-28 Name: Elizabeth Renz
Location: Katy, TX

Very unsatisfied. Our upstairs 3.5 ton, 16 seer, Rheem unit short cycled until a delay was installed, it does not remove humidity and cool our upstairs, and I am so sorry it was recommended to us.

Date created: 2008-04-27 Name: DYI'er
Location: New England

Very pleased. 16 seer w/ matching variable speed ah. Many who complain about Rheem need to reconsider who did the installation. There are many factors to consider. Not just that the machine did not run properly. Be sure your contractor knows what he/she is doing. There are many who do not. Any cheating or cutting corners on the install will inherently make the units run poorly or malfunction, seriously decreasing the life of such units. Pay the extra money to have it installed right, the first time. I've had Rheems all my life. I've been in the trade. Never had any issues. My suggestion: don't cheat the system.....hire someone who knows what they are doing, especially with the duct work. Very important.

<< Previous1213141516171819202122Next >>