Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2016-06-02 Name: jane battle
Location: Beacon, NY

"Terrible A/C, ICC board bad twice in a year. 2010 installation,"
Five years after installation, ICC board went bad. $1000.00 for part and service. Now, ten months later, the same problem. The service tech here now is hoping that this is the right part. Not sure, very expensive problems. Never again with a Rheem - I have anxiety that it will happen again. It happened during this ongoing heat wave and is not over yet. As of now, the air conditioner is not working. The tech is still working on it.

Date created: 2016-05-24 Name: M. Hamilton
Location: Rowlett, TX

"Under warranty! Is it a lemon?"
Thank you Mr. Jim Matthews, owner of Choice Heat & A/C, for your high standards of service to your customers and standing behind the promises of the warranty. In 4/2016, our A/C, less than one yr old, quit cooling. After 2 service calls and a new TXV, it still was not cooling. Mr. Matthews came to check it out and determined it most likely would require replacing parts one by one to find the defect. In all fairness to us as his customer, Mr. Matthews replaced the 4 ton unit at a cost to his company since Rheem did not stand behind their warranty and cover the replacement. I think Rheem should reconsider their decision and help Choice Heat & A/C.

Date created: 2016-04-26 Name: chris
Location: Prattville, AL

"Crap"
Don't buy, we had this unit installed after rebuilding our home due to a house fire. Awful... we had issues our first week in the house. They came back out and fixed it. About three months later it started to not cool off again. Called back again, same issues. Now we are still having the same issues and we are now told this unit is out of its one year warranty and we have to pay $900.00 for labor plus several hundred more for Freon to be added. On a unit that is less than two years old you should not have to be paying this. Rheem does not stand behind their product. Don't buy from them!

Date created: 2016-04-23 Name: T. Eidson
Location: Colorado

"Rheem air conditioners"
Rheem makes outstanding products and their distributors stand behind their contractors 100%. To those of you complaining about recent "coil issues" and "sticky valves", this is not because of the Rheem equipment. The installing contractor should be aware that the company who manufactures compressors for every major brand of equipment had an issue with gunk in the compressors. This gunk causes the txv to become sticky. The fix to this has been covered by every manufacturer and contractors are receiving a labor warranty to inject a solution into the system. This resolves the sticky issue. If a unit leaks soon after installation, this is an installation issue. Most comments on here are from an installation issue or the sticky valve. You should not base your decision on what brand to purchase based off a contractor failing to install the equipment properly. A great contractor would back the homeowner when there is an issue. I suggest finding a contractor with great reviews and one who has had a long standing relationship with the BBB. It never hurts to ask for references when you are unsure. A reference will inform you of their experience with the contractor and their thoughts on the equipment. The gunk issue in the compressors has been resolved for all new manufactured condensers.

Date created: 2016-04-04 Location: McKinney, Texas

"Great product back by great service"
I have owned the unit for 4 years. I enjoy how quietly it runs and the low cost of operation. I wish it was a bit smaller in size. I have not done any repairs to it. I would definitely buy another Rheem

Date created: 2016-04-04 Location: Barnegat, NJ

"Five years old and still running strong"
Five years ago my York central air conditioner failed during the hottest part of July. With a wife and three young children at home, it was imperative that we repair or replace it as soon as possible. After extensive online research I decided to purchase a replacement from Rheem Manufacturing Co. The new unit was installed without any glitches and has performed very well ever since it was installed. My home is 2,500 square feet and the unit has no trouble keeping the entire home cool during the hottest parts of the summer. I have noticed a 12% savings in my summer electric bill ever since it was installed which is a major improvement of the old York unit that we had. It has never required any repairs and continues to work as well today as it did when it was first installed. I would absolutely recommend this unit to anyone in need of a replacement central air conditioner.

Date created: 2016-03-28 Location: East Baton Rouge, LA

"A Good Workhorse in an Area Where Cooling Counts"
Living in south Louisiana, a home's air conditioner has to work, and has to work well. Our Rheem has been operating in our home since 2010, and it's an absolute workhorse. It cools the house completely when we need it most. In addition to it doing its job well, one of the best features of the unit is that it is incredibly easy to clean. We try to do regular maintenance (since there are times of heavy use during the year) and it is easy and pretty intuitive. We've never had a major repair, and we credit that to the machine and the regular maintenance. The thermostat that comes standard with it is just okay, that's the only negative we've ever experienced. If we were really dissatisfied with that, we could just change it. We believe this unit has many more years of cooling ahead of it, and we would go with Rheem again, no question.

Date created: 2016-03-25 Name: Lesley Marshall
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ

"Bad coil! Customers having to pay $1300 for replacement!"
I was just informed that my AC coil went bad in my rooftop air conditioner and it's going to cost me $1300 to replace it! I just purchased this air conditioner in December of 2014 and now I have to put out more $$$$ because Rheem is selling faulty equipment to customers. This company needs to stand in back of their equipment and start reimbursing customers for their faulty coils. The only fault customers have is in purchasing Rheem air conditioners in the first place! It will never happened again.

Date created: 2015-12-21 Location: White Post, Virginia

"Rheem 5 Ton Split System Does the Job"
I had a Rheem RP15 5 ton split system heat pump/air conditioner installed eighteen months ago. This was to replace a sixteen year old Rheem split system which had given us very good service. The new Rheem system has a SEER rating of 15, making it much less expensive to operate. The outdoor unit has an attractive finish and is very quiet while in operation. The air handler was installed in the attic and is virtually silent. It heats and cools our 3500 square foot home very efficiently. The gauge ports are accessed externally, which pleases our service technician immensely. The condenser coils are easily cleaned with a water hose. It has been serviced but needed nothing but coil cleaning. The existing electrical supply was adequate for the new unit, making installation much simpler and less expensive. I am very pleased with this unit and recommend it highly for new or replacement installation. I would certainly purchase this Rheem model again.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Name: Kevin FitzMaurice
Location: Surfside Beach, SC

"Run, run fast, run far"
Replaced a working 11 year old A/C heat pump in November 2014. Had to have it repaired a week later for a stuck valve. Exterior unit was replaced under warranty two weeks later because the stuck valve had somehow contaminated the entire system. I was told this was a manufacturing defect. The coldest night of the winter (19 degrees f) the system failed, and the interior temperature was 56 degrees. There was approximately 1/4 of "snow" on the exterior unit, and it was not running. Replace a defective defrost sensor, and the unit ran, but never seemed to be warm. The auxiliary heat is almost always on. Last week the heat failed again, then the A/C stopped working. The contractor tried to fix a stuck valve (again) with a factory approved lubricant, and this failed. Currently waiting authorization from the manufacturer for more repairs. I believe we will be replacing the exterior unit once again. In less than a month, labor for repairs becomes my responsibility as the 10 year warranty covers labor for one year only.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>