Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous6789101112131415161718192021Next >>

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Peter Glendon

"I found Rheem to be very reliable"
11 years with a Rheem air conditioner and never the slightest problem. That's a perfect unit in my book.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: D. Barnes

"Warranty is next to useless"
4 ton unit came with our new house. Week before Memorial Day, it started blowing hot air. Techs at Cordova HVAC were quick to arrive and found a bad valve and leak in inside coil. Great! It's under 10 year warranty. Yeah, if they can find a coil!! Originally, told Rheem would have one on the 11th, 3 weeks. Now it's the 28th, 5 weeks. Oh, and $600+ to repair. Options are freon and a valve, plus repair = ~$1000, or a 'better adt' coil = $1200. All this during heat indexes running 105+. Their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. There is no excuse not to have parts available on a 3 yo unit. They suck. Don't waste your money on this outfit.

Date created: 2010-06-15 Name: Jay Garrett

"Rheem"
I hate this unit. I bought this unit in May of 09. It has been problem after problem. All winter, the unit would freeze up. I had the guy I bought it from work on it several times during the winter. Spring time started coming so I don't know if it is fixed or not. The heat of summer has come and it only cools my house to 83 degrees. Piece of junk. Wish I bought something different.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: Bryan Menell

"Not a good brand"
Our house and a/c unit are brand new, and I've already spent tons of money fixing this Rheem. Some parts are under warranty, but that doesn't cover the labor. I've had 10 year old Carrier units that never had a problem. If I have a choice, I will make sure I never deal with a Rheem again. I don't understand the reviewers here that say their unit is great, but it leaks 3 lbs of coolant per year. They are replacing the unit. Yes, they mark their review "very satisfied." What??

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: M. Conroy

"4 ton, 14 SEER"
Recently had to be recharged. Just 2 inexpensive repairs in the previous 12 years, 1 was under warranty. The heat recovery for domestic hw works well. I shut off the water heater in the summer.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Dave

"Cool in the Cape"
We bought a 1 yr old pool home several years ago, and never gave much thought to the central air conditioner, until summer hit. Turns out that the basic, builder model 2.5 ton Tempstar was just too small for our 1800+ sq ft 4 br home. It would run constantly when the temps outside exceeded 84 degrees, and on hot days, could never cool the house below 78-79 degrees even though the compressor was running 10-12 hrs a day non stop. In the hottest part of the afternoons, you could even expect to see the temp in the house increase a couple degrees eventhough the air never turned off. Of course, this resulted in huge electric bills, so we usually just opted to cool the house with fans in the windows except for the very hottest days. Last year, we finally saved enough money to install a new air conditioner, and went with a local Rheem dealer because of their budget friendly pricing and excellent warranty. The installers were very knowledgeable and helpful and helped us select a Rheem 15.5 seer 3.5 ton system that met our homes needs and our budget, and included some ductwork upgrades to handle the larger unit. The new unit cools our home effortlessly even on the hottest days, no matter what the thermostat setting, and runs just enough to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the house. It is energy efficient, we no longer fear opening the electric bill if we have been using the air a lot. It is also surprisingly quiet. Whereas the old unit sounded like a small lawn mower running from outside the house, if you are more than 20 feet away from this one, you actually have to stop and listen to tell if it is running, despite the fact that it is nearly twice the physical size of the old one. All in all our experience with Rheem has been better than expected. Our new central air conditioner has surpassed our expectations, and proven that you can still get value and efficiency at a budget price. I guess time will tell if the unit will be as good a performer through the years as it is now, but our Rheem dealer offers a 10 year warranty that covers all parts including compressor, air handler, and fan motors, and has been in business in our town for nearly 20 years with an excellent reputation, so we have peace of mind. Dave

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: Lloyd Rhodus

"Lloyd Rhodus"
Was told by 3 different a/c companies and one being my good friend, that we needed a new unit. Called Rheem and all they said was it was out of 6 year warranty. The unit is 7 years old....5200.00 for a new unit. We have upstairs and downstairs units. They run constantly and have had problems with both sine we bought the house new 7 years ago. Scared to death the other unit is going out. Don't exactly have 11,000 laying around extra for 7 year old units. My hole street is Rheem....I could give you 20 or so names to tell you about Rheem...Junk.

Date created: 2010-05-26 Name: D. Barnes

"Worthless warranty"
Our 3 year old 4 ton unit, top of their line, quit blowing cold air. Seems the coil has a leak, which was caused by a pressure valve gone bad. This had a 10 year warranty, yet it will cost $700 to fix. That is if they had a coil to replace it. They are currently out of stock and say it should be available mid June. Don't know if that's when it will be made, in the warehouse, at the dc, or in the field. That's right, the warranty is limited to almost nothing, and they can't even supply parts. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: Bob Wilson

"Excellent performance"
I purchased a 2 1/2 ton Rheem air conditioner 4 years ago and I have never had any issues --- even on the hottest days, it works great. I'm not too sure why some others have had some issues, unless maybe it is contractors selling different brands giving the negative reviews that are trying to hurt their competition, but I have not had a single problem and I am very happy with my unit.

Date created: 2010-05-11 Name: Jason

"Time for a new Rheem"
We bought our house 5 years ago. It had a Rheem a/c unit installed in 1982. The unit works flawless as long as it has the correct amount of freon. It has a slow leak that started about 3 years ago. Our service guy said once it got over a pound a year we'd need to replace it. Well last summer it took 3 pounds. So we are replacing it before it gets too hot this year. I'd have to say that after reading these reviews it seems most of bad ones are due to leaks. Or possibly a bad installation. If you don't maintain your unit or have the proper amount of freon it will run like crap, maybe even burn up. I've learned to take every internet review with a grain of salt. There will always be good and bad reviews. People that have bad experiences are more likely to make sure their complaint is heard. People that have a good one won't think twice and just go on living. Well that's my 2 cents. We're going to buy a Rheem....

<< Previous6789101112131415161718192021Next >>