Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-13 Name: Dennis Deihl

"Rheem air rebate"
Like many rebate offers, they always find a reason to deny paying. a missing number or a "t" not crossed. Abything to delay or not pay. This is the case with Rheem. Don't be fooled with this come-on.

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: Tara Finnigan

"Rheem 2.5 ton 13 seer AC"
The unit worked fine until this year, after the coil was cleaned, we were advised the coil needed replacement for 1.5k. We are now considering replacing the unit with a more efficient model and different brand. Our unit was serviced twice a year, our initial expense was about 3K. Replacement is 3.5K. Not happy and feel we have been Rheemed.

Date created: 2009-08-07 Name: Sparky

"3 Ton Unit - too many problems"
Compressor failed 1 year out of warranty (had a 5 year warranty) $1700 to replace it. Heater failed in January when it was freezing cold outside (15f). Had to replace a pressure sensor. Just had tech fix ac for the 2nd time and now 12 hrs later it's not cooling and the outside unit is making a strange noise. It's 102f today and we're burning up. Disappointed with Rheem, won't ever get another!

Date created: 2009-08-06 Name: M Murdoch

"Just my experience"
A Classic x (10) was installed many years ago, 18 I think and I have not had a single problem with the unit. It's a 2.5 ton that has performed admirably. We are now considering a newer more energy effecient unit but with all the complaining going on about every make I think I may just wait until this one stops working. I replaced our furnace 9 years ago (York to a Keeprite) York 22 yrs old no problems. Keeprite is a mid- effeciency and again no problems. I can also state that they were never pampered with twice yearly or sometimes even yearly service calls.

Date created: 2009-08-05 Name: S. Cox

"Rheem AC Unit"
I have had my Central Air Unit fan replaced 3 times since purchacing my brand new home because of a irritating loud noise it makes when it is running! I am spending too much money to have someone come out to my house to just look at it and then charge me more money to "try" and fix the problem which is still not fixed. I think the Unit itself is bad and needs to be replaced... especially if it's a 2 year old unit! Your Rheem commercial insinuates that your units are the best, reliable, and quiet units on the market. Im not seeing or hearing any good results!

Date created: 2009-07-27 Name: S. Slaboda

"Rheem is great"
Some reviews would scare me but I have had a 5 ton Rheem 12 seer for over 12 years and no problems. I plan to upgrade to a 16 seer Rheem very soon. I did a two things right - I found a company that installed the system properly. I also have the system checked twice a year at a very low cost.

Date created: 2009-07-27 Name: A in Fresno

"Rheem 3 ton"
Three ton unit, Circuit board burned out six months ago. Now capacitor and motor are shot. Another grand down the drain.

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: D. Bryant

"Homeowner"
To correct a mistake in my previous review, the actual first real problem with our unit was the condenser fan (not the circuit board), which I replaced a couple of years ago. I haven't kept up with all the new changes in the HVAC business since I left it about 30 years ago, and I no longer own a set of gauges, but I felt more than qualified to change the fan motor out. The motor was still working at the time, and our unit was cooling fine, but the noise it was making outside our bedroom window told me that it was high time to replace it before it completely died. The fan motor and circuit board are the only two real repair or replacement issues we've had on our 15-year-old unit, and we are satisfied that Rheem is at least as dependable as the Carrier, Lennox, York, and TempStar units we had in previous houses.

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: D. Bryant

"Homeowner"
In the late 1960's and the 1970's, I was an HVAC technician. I think many of the faults listed in the reviews here are the fault of the installion/repair technicians, not the Rheem units themselves. Sloppy work can cause condensate and refrigerant leaks, causing endless service calls. Mismatched condensers and evaporators or incorrectly-sized refrigerant lines can cause all manner of troubles, including failure of relays and compressor units. Incorrectly-sized condensers and evaporators can cause the units to run continuously in hot weather, causing premature compressor, etc., failure. My in-laws had our Rheem AC/gas furnace installed 15 years ago, the year before we bought this house from them. It has required a shot of refrigerant each cooling season, as it has an extremely slow leak. But the dealer who installed it admits that the leak was probably their fault, and have never charged us their full labor charge for their yearly topping-off of the refrigerant, about a 15-minute job. They usually check the inside unit while they're here, for any signs of developing trouble. But I've done my part, too; I've been very careful never to let the unit run continuously on very hot days before they can get here and service the unit, which it will do, because the evaporator coils freeze over when the refrigerant is low and blocks enough airflow through them so that the unit can't lower the temperature to the thermostat setting. So when this begins, I raise the 'stat setting until they can get here. Our first problem with this unit was last winter, when the main circuit board died. No longer available new, it cost a total of $565 to replace it with a refurbished one. I saw the shipping invoice on the "refurb" unit, and the cost to our dealer to get it here was a little over $500, so he definitely wasn't trying to "rip us off". The compressor has never had problems, although the outside condenser fan was replaced a couple of years ago. With the cost of electricity rising, and our unit now old enough that it has outlived it's design lifespan, we are about to buy a new 17-18 seer Rheem AC/heating unit, from the same dealer. If it serves us as well as this one has, we will have no complaints.

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: Joe G

"Came with house"
My evaporator is now going bad, but the unit is 31 years old I am getting a new one put in this weekend I will look at a rheem 31 years I wish all other appliances would last that long