Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

<< Previous45678910111213141516171819202122Next >>

Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: j leop
Location: gulfport, ms

"Split unit"
Unit seer 13.... 12 years old..............no service calls on AC until now....has leak somewhere and looking to fix or replace............1 call on heater to replace electronic board.........recomend buying units with least amount of electronics and never buy a heatpump...............gas heat is the best

Date created: 2011-05-25 Location: Atlanta, GA

"Rheem is Keeping Me Cool this Summer"
Last year, in the middle of summer, our HVAC went out. Temperatures approached 90 degrees in our bedroom, and it was time to call the repairman, who promptly declared our system dead. The replacement system was a Rheem RGPE-05?BMK?, and we have been pleased with it so far - especially with the tax rebate that came with it. At a 16 SEER rating, it's energy efficient, and we are entering the second year with it and are extremely pleased. It does tend to be a little louder than our previous unit, but perhaps it's because our older unit was dying. I definitely recommend getting a programmable thermostat with the unit. You can program the unit to power on at certain hours of the day, saving even more energy (and money). This is the first Rheem system I have purchased, and I don't have any complaints. I expect a unit to work when I need it to, and this one does it well. With the tax rebate, it's definitely a deal, and the high energy efficiency means you'll be green and save even more money.

Date created: 2011-05-21 Location: St. Louis, MO

"Keeping Cool in the Summer"
This unit was put into our home in 2006, you know when you have a house built from the ground up the only item I picked out was the flooring. Everything else came with the people who built the house. I guess we could have made our selection I'm sure the expense would have been a little too much for our budget. I am very pleased with the way it cools, although when we first moved in it seemed a little too noisy. The area we live in is very quiet. So I guess I could hear everything even the butterflies passing by. We haven't had any repairs we have it serviced every-other year and the husband changes the filters every month, and they aren't even dirty. I do hope that I can remember all these nice things I've said about this unit. Thanks for inquiring minds wants to know. It's cool here now and I am really enjoying it. Yes I would purchase the same make and model if this one should ever go out. I think this is the only item in the house that I really appreciate, I cannot deal with the heat. We have turned the air on when it's summer....if it's hot I turn it on. Oh Happy Day...when the fall and winter comes in.

Date created: 2011-04-29 Location: Portland, Oregon

"Quite and effcient Air-Condiitioner"
I have owned my Rheem central air-condition for almost 6 years now. I had it installed shortly after moving into this my current home. In the time that we have owed the unit, it has never needed any sort of repair, just the annual maintenance that I have done as a yearly ritual. The unit is very efficient and what I like the most about it, it is very quite. It is located just outside one of my children's window and with some units, they can be very noisy " not this one. My child has never complained nor have I ever noticed any sound when it has kicked on. I would highly recommend this make and model to friend and family. It is super efficient. It is extremely quite. It has not required any repairs and it has a very low price point compared to other name brand, comparable units.

Date created: 2011-03-14 Name: Rachel
Location: Moraga Ca.

"Good as it Gets"
In the summer of 2010 I installed a Rheem 16 SEER 2 stage and have loved how quiet it is. My outdoor area is not that large and if I step outside the a/c is right there. I use to not be able to run my a/c at night because of the noise issue but now with my new system I sleep better and enjoy the a/c and the comfort it gives. Thanks Rheem for the great product!!

Date created: 2011-02-25 Name: screwrheem

"Lies"
These manufacturers lied....they said they were number 1 in every poll...i checked the polls they were not even in the top 10 or even in the top 15

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: P. Casogna
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Unit was solid, got poor quality replacement capacitors"
Got a 5 ton Rheem AC in 2004 to replace a 4 ton Trane AC in 2004 that was freezing up (evaporator) due to Freon leaks in the copper lines connecting the inside and outside sections. Nonetheless, the AC company REALLY wanted to reuse the leaky, undersized, copper lines on a "new" system. I said NO and got new, proper sized lines with a site glass so I would know if the Freon leaked again (you get bubbles in the site glass when Freon leaks out, I wanted to be able to call them right if it started leaking before the oil in the refrigerant escapes and then you burn up the compressor). The Freon (R22) never did leak and the compressor worked fine the whole time, although it was noisy getting started. I will believe the compressor problems the others are reporting (all brands) if they say they never had any refrigerant and refrigerant OIL leaks, and the sight glass is the only way to know because techs will sometimes put tons of Freon/oil in and then write it up as an "electrical problem". The capacitor went out about 4 times (2008-2010). Sometimes the part that controls the outside fan would go bad and other times the part that controls the compressor would go out. When I figured out how this works and that a tech had bypassed the "bad" part of the capacitor to get the fan running (for $300) I was enraged, because then the "good part" of that same capacitor that was running the compressor went out (another $200). And the tech did it right under my nose! The next tech (driving a van made by Mercedes!) showed me what the previous one had done, and then proceeded to replace the capacitor with a $20 "Made in China" special that lasted 3 weeks. Then I called the authorized Rheem dealer to get the "original" capacitor and they told me Rheem didn't make it anymore. They brought out a "Made in USA" capacitor that retails for about $55 and it sort of fit. It ran fine until I moved out. In all, over $1000 labor in 4 service calls to replace a $50 part over and over. The techs were claiming that the reason these capacitors were going out is that the EPA won't let them use toxic PCB oil in them anymore but the final (USA) one did have oil in it. The system was never comfortable but that's because the ductwork in the attic was a disaster, trying to cool a huge house with a single unit, and the quote to have a two zone system was $14K. I see all the brands get very negative reviews. I a now renting a house and the landlord is an AC tech, and I notice my heat pump is working just fine, despite its terrible review here. Probably a forum where AC techs talk about the system they install in their own homes would be better because any system will mess up if it is deliberately installed wrong to provide a continuous stream of income to the installer over many years.

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: richard
Location: hernando fl

"Home owner"
I now have the second rheem compressor. the first one was 4yr old i had service. calls 5 times in2 years. no service repair tec. could fix the unit. it would not heat in cold mould and would not cool in hot days. so i had the unit replace with arheem 13sheer in 05, ihad 8 service calls. ihad no heat at times and no cooling at times it look froste the snow man.on cold days i am a cerfide repair tec, in the car ac and heating system i would be put in jail for selling or seving this system.this a true deftive lemon.

Date created: 2010-10-25 Name: Top Gunner NCO
Location: Miami

"Rheem"
The unit has provided me with over 4 year of hassile free cooling, its a shame that I am upgrading, but I do not want to push the envelope. the unit was manufactured in 1986.

Date created: 2010-10-22 Name: s kirk
Location: Terrebonne, Or

"Piece of junk"
Just recieved a bill for labor to replace the compressor in a Rheem heat pump. The unit is about 1 1/2 years old. and so far the equlizer tube had broken twice, the txv valve has had to be replaced, and the compressor has been replaced. In a year and a half the unit has yet to work corectly for three straight months.

<< Previous45678910111213141516171819202122Next >>