Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: P. Casogna
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Unit was solid, got poor quality replacement capacitors"
Got a 5 ton Rheem AC in 2004 to replace a 4 ton Trane AC in 2004 that was freezing up (evaporator) due to Freon leaks in the copper lines connecting the inside and outside sections. Nonetheless, the AC company REALLY wanted to reuse the leaky, undersized, copper lines on a "new" system. I said NO and got new, proper sized lines with a site glass so I would know if the Freon leaked again (you get bubbles in the site glass when Freon leaks out, I wanted to be able to call them right if it started leaking before the oil in the refrigerant escapes and then you burn up the compressor). The Freon (R22) never did leak and the compressor worked fine the whole time, although it was noisy getting started. I will believe the compressor problems the others are reporting (all brands) if they say they never had any refrigerant and refrigerant OIL leaks, and the sight glass is the only way to know because techs will sometimes put tons of Freon/oil in and then write it up as an "electrical problem". The capacitor went out about 4 times (2008-2010). Sometimes the part that controls the outside fan would go bad and other times the part that controls the compressor would go out. When I figured out how this works and that a tech had bypassed the "bad" part of the capacitor to get the fan running (for $300) I was enraged, because then the "good part" of that same capacitor that was running the compressor went out (another $200). And the tech did it right under my nose! The next tech (driving a van made by Mercedes!) showed me what the previous one had done, and then proceeded to replace the capacitor with a $20 "Made in China" special that lasted 3 weeks. Then I called the authorized Rheem dealer to get the "original" capacitor and they told me Rheem didn't make it anymore. They brought out a "Made in USA" capacitor that retails for about $55 and it sort of fit. It ran fine until I moved out. In all, over $1000 labor in 4 service calls to replace a $50 part over and over. The techs were claiming that the reason these capacitors were going out is that the EPA won't let them use toxic PCB oil in them anymore but the final (USA) one did have oil in it. The system was never comfortable but that's because the ductwork in the attic was a disaster, trying to cool a huge house with a single unit, and the quote to have a two zone system was $14K. I see all the brands get very negative reviews. I a now renting a house and the landlord is an AC tech, and I notice my heat pump is working just fine, despite its terrible review here. Probably a forum where AC techs talk about the system they install in their own homes would be better because any system will mess up if it is deliberately installed wrong to provide a continuous stream of income to the installer over many years.

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: richard
Location: hernando fl

"Home owner"
I now have the second rheem compressor. the first one was 4yr old i had service. calls 5 times in2 years. no service repair tec. could fix the unit. it would not heat in cold mould and would not cool in hot days. so i had the unit replace with arheem 13sheer in 05, ihad 8 service calls. ihad no heat at times and no cooling at times it look froste the snow man.on cold days i am a cerfide repair tec, in the car ac and heating system i would be put in jail for selling or seving this system.this a true deftive lemon.

Date created: 2010-10-25 Name: Top Gunner NCO
Location: Miami

"Rheem"
The unit has provided me with over 4 year of hassile free cooling, its a shame that I am upgrading, but I do not want to push the envelope. the unit was manufactured in 1986.

Date created: 2010-10-22 Name: s kirk
Location: Terrebonne, Or

"Piece of junk"
Just recieved a bill for labor to replace the compressor in a Rheem heat pump. The unit is about 1 1/2 years old. and so far the equlizer tube had broken twice, the txv valve has had to be replaced, and the compressor has been replaced. In a year and a half the unit has yet to work corectly for three straight months.

Date created: 2010-10-18 Name: FlordiaMan
Location: Boca Raton

"17 years old and still works"
I have a 1993 Rheem Classic xii - 17 years and it still works great but is starting to fall apart. It has had minimal repairs.

Date created: 2010-10-13 Name: M Fesser
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl

"So far so good"
Purchased a Rheem 3 ton system with 16 seer rating in order to qualify for tax credit and am surprised how much it reduced electric bills so far. First months bill for July was over 40% less than June bill and July bill from 2009.August bill just under 45% less than August of 2009. I had purchased yearly maintainance contract for 10 year old Janitrol unit which was the unit installed in new construction 1999. I tried to extend the life of this unit as long as possible, but freon leaks and deterioration of coil made it unreliable and unit struggled to keep house cool in the hottest months of South Florida heat. Rheem outdoor unit is so quiet, the neighbors units drown out the sound of my unit. I am loving the savings and the Rheem unit......so far.

Date created: 2010-10-12 Name: Ken W
Location: Palm City, Florida

"DO YOUR DUE DILIGANCE!"
I spent 3 days studying AC. 1. Very few AC installers know how to install properly, and poorly installed units will cause problems. 2. Almost none of the companies know how to properly size a unit for your house. Read Air Conditioner Contractors of America studies - 53% get too big a unit and BIGGER IS NOT BETTER! (a too big unit cycles too often, does not properly remove humidity, causes problems). The 500 sq ft = 1 ton is way too simple. 3. All the name brands are OK if installed properly. Look for a knowledgeable installer and repairer, and good warranty. My 11 year old Rheem works just fine, but I will replace to get the tax credit.

Date created: 2010-10-11 Name: Jose
Location: Miami, FL

"Rheem customer"
We have that AC since we bought the house, 9 years ago. We are very satisfied and never had a complain. I paid somebody to clean it once and it wasn't too dirty. I'm going to exchange it for a newer one because we made some addition to the house and need a bigger one.

Date created: 2010-10-06 Name: Mike B
Location: RI

"2.5 ton w / larger blower unit"
Had a difficult custom job done on a my Cape home. Worked out extremely well. The Central Unit covers the 1900 square ft main house (We have an 2 story addition 900 sq ft that has a seperate ductless system). We basically got a blower designed for 3-4 ton units and dropped 9 supplies over 3 floors to achieve it. Even on the 103 degree day, the house stayed at 75 degrees. Basically, unless the unit actually breaks or isnt working, most problems are the result of poor design and installation. Not saying Rheem is better than other units, just that the units themselves are probably not the issue for most of the people here.

Date created: 2010-09-29 Name: C. Pollard
Location: Winfield, Alabama

"My ac"
My rheem ac has a hard time of keeping up in our long hot Alabama summers. I have to set it low in the mornings to get the house cool, if not it has a hard time of keeping up in the afternoon hours.