Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-09-05 Name: James W
Location: Seymour, IN

"Never Again Payne"
Purchased new unit in 04/2007. Was told it was a good product and it was the same size unit I previously had. The inner coil split and I was told it should be under warranty but I would have to pay for install and freon which is about $700. If the part under warranty went bad then why do I have to pay to put it back in and for the gas. I will never purchase Payne or Carrier again unless they make it right on this problem.

Date created: 2008-08-13 Name: Joseph Samuels
Location: Orland, FL

"J Samuels"
On 8/8/03, the unit stopped working Repaired two capacitor and added Freon. Unit worked for two days. On 08/10/08 technician indicated all Freon had leaked out. Discovered the outside unit had multiple pinholes in the coil, in different. The technician further indicated that this section of the unit could not be fixed or replaced, ie. the entire unite had to be replaced. This system had a five year-limited warranty and two months after the warranty expired the unit failed. Do Your HomeWork....

Date created: 2008-07-24 Name: Mr. Buying a different brand that works
Location: Southwest Ohio

"Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors"
I have a Payne Central Air unit. It was a home warranty replacement for the original unit. The original unit was a product of Payne's parent company. The original's compressor literally blew out. a factory weld on the side and all freon leaked. It was 4 years old btw. The new Payne model that was installed is on its second compressor and 4th capacitor. It is now not working again and Iím awaiting HVAC service from a company I called. Save yourself time/money/stress and buy from a different company. This one produces scrap metal.

Date created: 2008-07-08 Name: David Daniels
Location: Hemet, CA

"Tammki, same thing happened to me!"
I bought a Payne "Energy Savings" Air Conditioning Unit on May 17, 2007. After 3 months, somehow the refrigerant all leaked out. No problem...the installation company came back and fixed it for free. Now...here in Southern California, it's currently 105 degrees outside...and my unit totally failed three days ago. The guys came out yesterday and diagnosed the problem. The motor in the compressor grounded itself out (the coils from the motor split and touched the metal housing). Fried itself completely. No problem, the part is under warranty. HOWEVER, it's going to cost $400.00 to install the new one and recharge it with 10 lbs of refrigerant at $30.00 per pound. I should have kept the original unit that was installed way back in 1975 when the house was built. It was still working, but the AC contractor convinced me that a new high-energy unit would save me money. Uh huh...yeah, right, sure. When does THAT start???

Date created: 2008-05-29 Name: Dave
Location: Prattville, AL

"payne"
Had this Payne in the rear for 2 years. Runs all the time. Cost me $450- 500 monthly in summer. May have to sell the house...Cant raise a family like this. Canít get in touch with Payne. They send me to some technical guy somewhere off in the woods. He talked philosophy and provided no help. Why would they put me off on some guy they pay to answer technical calls. I'm at witís ends. Donít know what to do. Local A/C guy says its sooo hot. But on days like today.....its 86 degrees, 40% humidity and the temp set on 72 actual temp 75 and runs all the time???? Help.email me at gijoesgt@bellsouth.net if you can help. God bless.

Date created: 2008-03-06 Name: Jennifer Davis-Rogers
Location: Dallas, TX

I bought my first Payne Unit 22 years ago. It gave me excellent service for 22 HOT Texas summers. I replaced it this year with a higer (14 SEER) Payne System. And if I am still around in 22 years I will replace this one with another Payne. I think for the money and a 10 year warranty, plus factoring in the savings in utility cost, Payne Equipment can not be beat. Payne is owned by Carrier, which means I get Carrier Pantented Technology without paying for Carrier advertisement and dealer cost. You won't go wrong buying a Payne and having it installed by a qualified contractor.