Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: Airtemp

"Payne"
Payne equipment is Carrier. Contractors can buy the equipment without having to be a dealer like you would for Carrier ,Bryant and Lennox. I have been installing Payne for 10 years along with Carrier and Bryant and never had problems with them. Most equipment is only as good as the person who installed it.

Date created: 2009-06-28 Name: vince cariati
Location: Arizona

"Payne a/c unit"
I recently had my ac unit replaced with a brand new in the box pane. It lasted exactly 1 month and the compressor blew out. Now the insurance company is charging me another $160 to have it replaced. I think that pane should replace it's for free since it was less than 1 month old. I have been without air conditioning for 1 week and I think that's bad service especially since I live in Arizona and the daytime temp is 100 degrees or greater. I expect a response immediately.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: A. G. Swann

"Avoid if possible"
Actually, I haven't owned this unit for a year. I have only had it for a week, and it is already gone out! Thank God that this replacement was completed through a home warranty company, because I would have been in bad shape. We had a storm come through yesterday evening, and before I left for work this morning... there was no air flowing from any of the vents! Definitely a cheap unit!

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: PAYNE HEATING & COOLING

"My Payne AC/Heat Pump"
The Payne AC/Heat pump system is original equipment on my house and is now 25 years old. It has survived extreme heat, golf balls and freezing weather. It's still running, and I wish I could get another one just like it because it's been so totally reliable and has required virtually no repairs.

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: Ear G Groover
Location: Apopka, Florida

"Home owner"
I have had this unit for less than 2 years now and have had to replace the heating coils for the third time now. Fan moter has gone out 2 times. The real problem is the wiring and circuit burning up each time Is this unit defective? Have there been similar problems with this unit overall/ Please advise Thank you Earl Groover Model #pa3za042000aa Ser.# 1706g21503

Date created: 2008-12-23 Name: Mimi Murry
Location: Lithonia, GA

"The worst AC unit on the planet"
I have a Payne Central Air unit. It was a home warranty replacement for the original unit. I have owened my home for 3 years, and I have received 3 new Payne Central Air Units in the last 3 years. Payne's are the Fords of AC units. Buyers don't waste your money by buying this product. Save yourself from a headache.

Date created: 2008-09-05 Name: James W
Location: Seymour, IN

"Never Again Payne"
Purchased new unit in 04/2007. Was told it was a good product and it was the same size unit I previously had. The inner coil split and I was told it should be under warranty but I would have to pay for install and freon which is about $700. If the part under warranty went bad then why do I have to pay to put it back in and for the gas. I will never purchase Payne or Carrier again unless they make it right on this problem.

Date created: 2008-08-13 Name: Joseph Samuels
Location: Orland, FL

"J Samuels"
On 8/8/03, the unit stopped working Repaired two capacitor and added Freon. Unit worked for two days. On 08/10/08 technician indicated all Freon had leaked out. Discovered the outside unit had multiple pinholes in the coil, in different. The technician further indicated that this section of the unit could not be fixed or replaced, ie. the entire unite had to be replaced. This system had a five year-limited warranty and two months after the warranty expired the unit failed. Do Your HomeWork....

Date created: 2008-07-24 Name: Mr. Buying a different brand that works
Location: Southwest Ohio

"Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors Bad compressors"
I have a Payne Central Air unit. It was a home warranty replacement for the original unit. The original unit was a product of Payne's parent company. The original's compressor literally blew out. a factory weld on the side and all freon leaked. It was 4 years old btw. The new Payne model that was installed is on its second compressor and 4th capacitor. It is now not working again and Iím awaiting HVAC service from a company I called. Save yourself time/money/stress and buy from a different company. This one produces scrap metal.

Date created: 2008-07-08 Name: David Daniels
Location: Hemet, CA

"Tammki, same thing happened to me!"
I bought a Payne "Energy Savings" Air Conditioning Unit on May 17, 2007. After 3 months, somehow the refrigerant all leaked out. No problem...the installation company came back and fixed it for free. Now...here in Southern California, it's currently 105 degrees outside...and my unit totally failed three days ago. The guys came out yesterday and diagnosed the problem. The motor in the compressor grounded itself out (the coils from the motor split and touched the metal housing). Fried itself completely. No problem, the part is under warranty. HOWEVER, it's going to cost $400.00 to install the new one and recharge it with 10 lbs of refrigerant at $30.00 per pound. I should have kept the original unit that was installed way back in 1975 when the house was built. It was still working, but the AC contractor convinced me that a new high-energy unit would save me money. Uh huh...yeah, right, sure. When does THAT start???