Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Joe

"Feel the "Payne""
Had my 2.5 ton/ 12 seer unit installed 4/98. Just had a compressor failure 7/10. First and only problem ever!!!! Of course I'm upset, but 12 years of reliability. I'm definitely going to request a Payne 3.0/ 16 seer replacement. Increasing tonnage due to an addition 2 years age (may be cause of failure due to overworking undersized unit). Have to agree. Installation is 90% of reliability! I will definitely want to feel the "Payne" again!!! (lol)

Date created: 2010-07-16 Name: Scoop
Location: Canada

"Great Equipment"
I install Payne a/c units in Canada and have one at my place as well. Of all the units I've installed, I have never had a "call-back" to repair one in 10 years. Like a previous reviewer said, "It's all in the quality of the installation". Sorry to hear about all the headaches, but I am sure 90% of them could have been avoided. Unfortunately, alot of installers just don't care.

Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: M. Work

"Mr."
I had a new 4 ton unit installed 1 month ago. It turns on and shuts off for four hours per day. It runs for the remaining 20 hours. This is a $6,450.00 unit. My upcoming electric bill is almost $400.00. I usually pay around $250.00. So much for cost savings.

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: D. Detmer

"Dont buy Payne"
Save your money. Do not buy a Payne a/c unit. My original unit lasted 4 yrs and the second unit not even 2 yrs. When I spoke to Payne, they just said there is nothing they can do.

Date created: 2010-06-13 Name: DMS

"Payne in the ass"
Purchased a brand new 2.5 ton ac unit. After 2 days, the coolant was gone and had to be recharged. That lasted another few days and had to be done again. In 9 months, the capacitors went out, and again in 22 months and now again in 36 months. What a piece of crap! Do not buy Payne products.

Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Pam Finocchiaro

"Pam"
This air conditioner is garbage. I had to replace the first one in less than a year. The second one broke right after the warranty ran out. Every year, we have to have some sort of repair. I think I am replacing it this year and I will never never never have another one!!!!

Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: ROSE

"PAYNE 5 TON UNIT"
American Home Shield installed this unit instead of replacing it with a Carrier which I had. The compressor just broke 4 years after. It rotted and burnt stuff in there. Payne had me call a Carrier/Bryant dealer, specifically, who charged me a lot for the diagnostic and wants to charge me $700.00 for the labor. Compressor is still under manufacturer's warranty. Do not buy Payne and don't insure with American Home Shield. They will rip you off. I hope there is a class action suit, as well. Thanks, Rose

Date created: 2009-12-02 Name: C Winters

"Work Horse"
My Payne ac is 40 years old now and still running strong. 40 summers of 100+ heat. I've owned the house for 16 of those years and my only repair has been replacement of the fan. I want to replace it with a more efficient unit, but I almost hate to replace my old one, knowing they don't make them like that anymore.

Date created: 2009-11-25 Name: anonymous
Location: Houston

"Houston hvac contractor"
I am an hvac contractor in the Houston area. I have installed and serviced many Payne models over the years. The key to having no problems with these is the installation. They are good performers for the money. You won't find a better piece of equipment for the money, PROVIDED IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY! If you are using a home warranty company buy a clue. The home war. cos. expect HVAC personel to install a unit for 400-500. At best these poor guys are lucky to make minimum wage working in the heat. The home warranty people complain because they spent $700? When the average selling price for a condenser is well over $2000 Retail. So if you were making minimum wage or less installing stuff on the cheap and got an opportunity to make more installing retail equipment you would jump ship wouldn't you? So the home warranty companies struggle to keep knowledgeable techs because they are always leaving for greener pastures. Remember as with any thing else "You get what you pay for." Installation is the most important part of any air conditioning equipment.

Date created: 2009-08-17 Name: Michigan HVAC

"Payne is GOOD"
I'm a contractor that owns Payne and installs over 100 of their units every year. It is the EXACT same unit as the Bryant and Carrier builders model. The difference is they sell to anyone with a license, so many unqualified "furnace guys" do install these units and do a terrible job. We work for a home warranty company and not only do they only pay $400 to install an AC system, they don't even pay their bills! We make customers pay us and then they collect from them. Home warranty companies typically work with gypsy contractors (except us, of course). If installed right, as with any AC system, it will work great for many years.