Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: Susan
Location: [email protected]

"Do Not Purchase a Payne"
Our Payne was installed 2 years ago. Already the compressor has gone out. Although the compressor is under warranty, the company does not cover the labor charge to replace it. The price to replace the compressor is $900 plus tax. This is outrageous, when a major purchase is only 2 years old.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: Susan Bozeman
Location: Fairhope AL.

"Payne is correct, it has been nothing but a Pain"
We purchased our new built home in Jan 2004 and started with the problems in June 2005, and have had nothing but problems for then on. It is my understanding that the copper used for tubing during this time was sub standard. Payne was contacted and has not assisted with any of repairs. I will not and would put another Payne (pain) unit in this house.
Date created: 2010-08-26 Name: J. Pogue
Location: Chattanooga, TN

"John"
I purchased a Payne Heating and AC Unit for my home in 2004 to replace a unit that had been in the house for over 25 years. I had serveral calls to my repair man on the Payne unit. Came home from vacation recently to find the unit was not cooling the house. My installer came out and discovered the compressor had gone bad. It ended up costing me $1700.00 to get a new compressor installed. The compressor only lasted a little over 6 years. I will never have another Payne Unit in my home and I could never recommend them to my friends and neighbors.
Date created: 2010-08-11 Name: KSC

"I am over it."
The only thing I can say as that either this is a lemon of an ac/furnace, or the installers didn't do it right the first time, as another user suggested. Yes, my unit was a result of a home warranty claim. I have had the unit for 4 years now, and I have to tell you it is just riddled with issues. Condensor coil, txv valve, inside coil, rust, it just goes on and on. I have never experienced ac issues like this. Even if Payne makes a good product, this one experience that is a nightmare every year convinces me that I would never buy another Payne product given a choice.
Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Joe

"Feel the "Payne""
Had my 2.5 ton/ 12 seer unit installed 4/98. Just had a compressor failure 7/10. First and only problem ever!!!! Of course I'm upset, but 12 years of reliability. I'm definitely going to request a Payne 3.0/ 16 seer replacement. Increasing tonnage due to an addition 2 years age (may be cause of failure due to overworking undersized unit). Have to agree. Installation is 90% of reliability! I will definitely want to feel the "Payne" again!!! (lol)
Date created: 2010-07-16 Name: Scoop
Location: Canada

"Great Equipment"
I install Payne a/c units in Canada and have one at my place as well. Of all the units I've installed, I have never had a "call-back" to repair one in 10 years. Like a previous reviewer said, "It's all in the quality of the installation". Sorry to hear about all the headaches, but I am sure 90% of them could have been avoided. Unfortunately, alot of installers just don't care.
Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: M. Work

"Mr."
I had a new 4 ton unit installed 1 month ago. It turns on and shuts off for four hours per day. It runs for the remaining 20 hours. This is a $6,450.00 unit. My upcoming electric bill is almost $400.00. I usually pay around $250.00. So much for cost savings.
Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: D. Detmer

"Dont buy Payne"
Save your money. Do not buy a Payne a/c unit. My original unit lasted 4 yrs and the second unit not even 2 yrs. When I spoke to Payne, they just said there is nothing they can do.
Date created: 2010-06-13 Name: DMS

"Payne in the ass"
Purchased a brand new 2.5 ton ac unit. After 2 days, the coolant was gone and had to be recharged. That lasted another few days and had to be done again. In 9 months, the capacitors went out, and again in 22 months and now again in 36 months. What a piece of crap! Do not buy Payne products.
Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Pam Finocchiaro

"Pam"
This air conditioner is garbage. I had to replace the first one in less than a year. The second one broke right after the warranty ran out. Every year, we have to have some sort of repair. I think I am replacing it this year and I will never never never have another one!!!!