Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-13 Name: DMS

"Payne in the ass"
Purchased a brand new 2.5 ton ac unit. After 2 days, the coolant was gone and had to be recharged. That lasted another few days and had to be done again. In 9 months, the capacitors went out, and again in 22 months and now again in 36 months. What a piece of crap! Do not buy Payne products.

Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Pam Finocchiaro

"Pam"
This air conditioner is garbage. I had to replace the first one in less than a year. The second one broke right after the warranty ran out. Every year, we have to have some sort of repair. I think I am replacing it this year and I will never never never have another one!!!!

Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: ROSE

"PAYNE 5 TON UNIT"
American Home Shield installed this unit instead of replacing it with a Carrier which I had. The compressor just broke 4 years after. It rotted and burnt stuff in there. Payne had me call a Carrier/Bryant dealer, specifically, who charged me a lot for the diagnostic and wants to charge me $700.00 for the labor. Compressor is still under manufacturer's warranty. Do not buy Payne and don't insure with American Home Shield. They will rip you off. I hope there is a class action suit, as well. Thanks, Rose

Date created: 2009-12-02 Name: C Winters

"Work Horse"
My Payne ac is 40 years old now and still running strong. 40 summers of 100+ heat. I've owned the house for 16 of those years and my only repair has been replacement of the fan. I want to replace it with a more efficient unit, but I almost hate to replace my old one, knowing they don't make them like that anymore.

Date created: 2009-11-25 Name: anonymous
Location: Houston

"Houston hvac contractor"
I am an hvac contractor in the Houston area. I have installed and serviced many Payne models over the years. The key to having no problems with these is the installation. They are good performers for the money. You won't find a better piece of equipment for the money, PROVIDED IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY! If you are using a home warranty company buy a clue. The home war. cos. expect HVAC personel to install a unit for 400-500. At best these poor guys are lucky to make minimum wage working in the heat. The home warranty people complain because they spent $700? When the average selling price for a condenser is well over $2000 Retail. So if you were making minimum wage or less installing stuff on the cheap and got an opportunity to make more installing retail equipment you would jump ship wouldn't you? So the home warranty companies struggle to keep knowledgeable techs because they are always leaving for greener pastures. Remember as with any thing else "You get what you pay for." Installation is the most important part of any air conditioning equipment.

Date created: 2009-08-17 Name: Michigan HVAC

"Payne is GOOD"
I'm a contractor that owns Payne and installs over 100 of their units every year. It is the EXACT same unit as the Bryant and Carrier builders model. The difference is they sell to anyone with a license, so many unqualified "furnace guys" do install these units and do a terrible job. We work for a home warranty company and not only do they only pay $400 to install an AC system, they don't even pay their bills! We make customers pay us and then they collect from them. Home warranty companies typically work with gypsy contractors (except us, of course). If installed right, as with any AC system, it will work great for many years.

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: Airtemp

"Payne"
Payne equipment is Carrier. Contractors can buy the equipment without having to be a dealer like you would for Carrier ,Bryant and Lennox. I have been installing Payne for 10 years along with Carrier and Bryant and never had problems with them. Most equipment is only as good as the person who installed it.

Date created: 2009-06-28 Name: vince cariati
Location: Arizona

"Payne a/c unit"
I recently had my ac unit replaced with a brand new in the box pane. It lasted exactly 1 month and the compressor blew out. Now the insurance company is charging me another $160 to have it replaced. I think that pane should replace it's for free since it was less than 1 month old. I have been without air conditioning for 1 week and I think that's bad service especially since I live in Arizona and the daytime temp is 100 degrees or greater. I expect a response immediately.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: A. G. Swann

"Avoid if possible"
Actually, I haven't owned this unit for a year. I have only had it for a week, and it is already gone out! Thank God that this replacement was completed through a home warranty company, because I would have been in bad shape. We had a storm come through yesterday evening, and before I left for work this morning... there was no air flowing from any of the vents! Definitely a cheap unit!

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: PAYNE HEATING & COOLING

"My Payne AC/Heat Pump"
The Payne AC/Heat pump system is original equipment on my house and is now 25 years old. It has survived extreme heat, golf balls and freezing weather. It's still running, and I wish I could get another one just like it because it's been so totally reliable and has required virtually no repairs.