Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-10-17 Name: subcooled.ca
Location: Canada, Ontario, mississauga

"Great Product"
I install Payne's for a living and never have problems with them. Installation of any a/c is the key, if you are looking for a cheap install, you will get what you pay for. I always tell my clients that the install is much more important than the brand Proper refrigeration practices must be followed or a compressor burnout is not uncommon after a couple of years.

Date created: 2011-07-20 Name: j. samons
Location: south point , ohio

"Outstanding unit"
This past april, turned my 12 year old Bryant brand ac on only to find out a storm 3 days prior had blown a hole in side of compressor from lighting strike. As this older Bryant was a r-22 unit, I was unable to replace with Bryant brand. a/c contractor stated that Carrier corp still marketed units under the Payne brand (budget, contractor equipment). Installed 4 ton unit in early april, as of today, no problems. Very quiet, keeps up with cooling load, and is backed by Carrier. cant go wrong. and yes, it is all in how it is installed.

Date created: 2011-06-27 Name: lockhouse
Location: hagerstown, MD

"Payne, carrier"
Bought a home last year ,have a Carrier unit inside 05' and Payne 09' on the outside unit. Both carried a 5 year parts warranty. Had problems both in heat of summer and the cold winter(high electric bills)To the point that I can't keep the contractors coming out. Don't even bother seeing if Carrier will help even if under warranty. I have to replace the whole system. Will never recommend or put a Carrier in my home.

Date created: 2011-04-23 Name: Mike
Location: New Orleans

"Trash"
Three years and compressor is toast. A/C company told me it's a bottom line cheap unit paid for by home warrenty company. Getting a Goodmann

Date created: 2011-04-21 Name: Steve
Location: Johnson City, TN

"BOTH EXPANSION VALVES"
Had two Payne units installed 5 months ago, and had nothing but service call after service call. Come to find out - both expansion valves were DEFECTIVE and had to be replaced. So, I did some research and found that this is ONE OF MANY ONGOING PROBLEMS with Payne. Wish I had known this $1,800 before! STAY AWAY FROM PAYNE! IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS AND A PAIN FOR YOUR POCKETBOOK. I now wish I had listened to my HVAC contractor and spent the extra $600 on Goodman units!

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: Susan
Location: slindamood@yahoo.com

"Do Not Purchase a Payne"
Our Payne was installed 2 years ago. Already the compressor has gone out. Although the compressor is under warranty, the company does not cover the labor charge to replace it. The price to replace the compressor is $900 plus tax. This is outrageous, when a major purchase is only 2 years old.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: Susan Bozeman
Location: Fairhope AL.

"Payne is correct, it has been nothing but a Pain"
We purchased our new built home in Jan 2004 and started with the problems in June 2005, and have had nothing but problems for then on. It is my understanding that the copper used for tubing during this time was sub standard. Payne was contacted and has not assisted with any of repairs. I will not and would put another Payne (pain) unit in this house.

Date created: 2010-08-26 Name: J. Pogue
Location: Chattanooga, TN

"John"
I purchased a Payne Heating and AC Unit for my home in 2004 to replace a unit that had been in the house for over 25 years. I had serveral calls to my repair man on the Payne unit. Came home from vacation recently to find the unit was not cooling the house. My installer came out and discovered the compressor had gone bad. It ended up costing me $1700.00 to get a new compressor installed. The compressor only lasted a little over 6 years. I will never have another Payne Unit in my home and I could never recommend them to my friends and neighbors.

Date created: 2010-08-11 Name: KSC

"I am over it."
The only thing I can say as that either this is a lemon of an ac/furnace, or the installers didn't do it right the first time, as another user suggested. Yes, my unit was a result of a home warranty claim. I have had the unit for 4 years now, and I have to tell you it is just riddled with issues. Condensor coil, txv valve, inside coil, rust, it just goes on and on. I have never experienced ac issues like this. Even if Payne makes a good product, this one experience that is a nightmare every year convinces me that I would never buy another Payne product given a choice.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Joe

"Feel the "Payne""
Had my 2.5 ton/ 12 seer unit installed 4/98. Just had a compressor failure 7/10. First and only problem ever!!!! Of course I'm upset, but 12 years of reliability. I'm definitely going to request a Payne 3.0/ 16 seer replacement. Increasing tonnage due to an addition 2 years age (may be cause of failure due to overworking undersized unit). Have to agree. Installation is 90% of reliability! I will definitely want to feel the "Payne" again!!! (lol)