Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: d price
Location: Easley SC

"PAYNE is INDEED a very PAIN"
Home warranty replaced a 26 y/o ge 3 1/2 Ton unit and slipped in a 3 ton unit instead.. will not cool the house.. 3 years ago... house has not seen 68 degrees since the ge unit left. Have had the 'pain' serviced 2 times a year - they come out. 'gas' it up... power bill has also increased $100. per month, both winter & summer since the Payne was installed.. leaks.. water and freon... company refuses even to this day to do anything about the troubles.. dont by one... lemons!!!!!!

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: P. Mahfood
Location: Florida

"Lemon PA3Z, 3.5 ton package unit"
A 3.5 Ton Payne, package unit Installed 08/06/2009. In 1 week, the Evaporator Blew. The coil was replaced by Payne. Labor cost, by me. Less than a year later, same coil burst, The coil was replaced by Payne. Labor and freon cost, by me. Six months later, the dc motor failed. The motor was replaced by Payne. Labor cost, by me. Last night, 07/13/2012, coil blew again. Payne said that I must pay Labor and freon again. Only an Idiot will buy a Payne. I was an Idiot, once, not again. I am dumping this unit and replacing it with a rheem.

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: M. Guy
Location: Massillon, OH

"Not a pain here...."
Luckily, I have a friend of the family who works for a commercial hvac contractor. He suggested a Payne ac to go with the Payne furnace he installed 6 years before. I have had my ac for 3 summers and my furnace for 9 winters- with regular maintenance, I have not had an issue with either one. I am certainly blessed to have an hvac person I can trust and I am happy with both my Payne ac & Payne Furnace and I would definitely buy the same brand again.

Date created: 2012-06-27 Name: Buzzard
Location: Dallas

"Payne Coil replacement $$$$"
Payne ph13nr060 less than 5 yrs old, ouside coil is leaking oil, so it needs replaced ($1850.00 for new coil if outside warranty). So mine is covered by warranty, but it's going to cost me the freeon($800.00) & labor to have it replaced, plue the Carrier dealer in Farmers Branch, tx wants me to pay on my credit card to get it shipped from Carrier in St. Louis, then they will refund the cost once it arrives. this is insane!!! What a crap product. If it fails within warranty it is their problem, they should fix it all at no cost to the consumer. I just had a transmission replaced ($4500) & gm paid for the fluid & the labor to have it installed. I know there's a difference, but build a product that you don't have to replace before the warranty runs out. Don't buy Carrier or Payne products!!!

Date created: 2012-05-23 Name: ed hunter
Location: Mobile, AL

"LEMON"
Bought this package unit in sep 2009 and it's been a lemon, evaporator coil replaced, condenser coil replace, compressor replaced woke up this morning and broke again.

Date created: 2012-05-19 Name: kevin l
Location: kevinleggert@aol.com

"Payne is a Carrier Product"
I am a contractor. Just for the one person who said they bought a Carrier to replace a Payne: Payne is owned by the same corporation that makes Carrier, and is built on the same platform and uses mostly the same parts. Sounds like you had inexperienced installers. Carrier is pickier on who they sell to, so likely was the issue not the product. Almost all equipment is equal if built in the United States. Pick qualified installers with a good reputation. Companies change installers and service techs frequently so you can't rely on a "company" name. Ask friends who the techicians were and ask for them.

Date created: 2012-05-05 Name: Shocker
Location: Indiana

"Decent unit at an affordable price"
My old Bryant unit did not work this spring when I switched over from heat to cold. I had a contractor inspect and he gave me 2 options. There was a leak in the system and the capacitor was going bad. I had 2 options: either repair my 16 year old unit by pumping more r22 freon and replacing the capacitor or replace the indoor coil and the outside unit with a new ac. The repair option estimate was approx $500.00 and replacing with all new system was approx $3500.00 I almost had a heart attack when I saw the quote. This whole hvac contract deal is a Ripoff. Thank God, a friend of mine who is a licensed hvac tech has been a blessing and helped me fix the issue. First, we decided to just pump some freon and see if the unit would hold up. I paid $160.00 for the repair v/s 500 if I used a contractor !!! It worked for a month and then the motor quit. At this time, I decided to replace the unit. We bought a Payne 3t - 13 Seer, new indoor coil, filter, flush kit, some couplings, armaflex sleeve. I paid $1600 to my friend which includes parts and labor. I would have spent more than double if I used a contractor. We bought all the parts from Johnstone supply house in Indy. They sell parts and provide pricing only to licensed techs. It is a bad deal because folks like me who cannot afford to spend $$$$ have to depend on these contractors. It is nothing but a union mentality and does no good to consumers. I read several reviews before buying and could hardly find anything useful in my decision making process. Everyone keeps saying that it all depends on installation. I agree with that statement to some extent but it is just bologne ! It is not rocket science . You just need the right equipment and tools which many of us don't have. Brazing torches, nitrogen, extra freon, vacuum pump, special plumbing tools etc etc. It took approx. 4-5 hrs to finish the job and then we checked for leaks and took some temp measurements. The house is now cool at 68f. I thank God for folks who can be a blessing. I disagree with the hvac blog spot. They don't talk about prices or any tips because they want you to spend $$$$$. It is not a fair trade system. I am sure the socialist lobbyists keep us away from fair practice trades. I think every home owner should have the freedom to buy and install. We should not depend on others. I know many of you will disagree with this but that's just plain fact and truth hurts!

Date created: 2012-01-14 Name: billy shepherd
Location: port orange fl

"Nothing but problem"
In less than three months the heating motor and heating element had a short and burned the wire harness. It also burned a hole in the mount. This could be very unsafe I think the company should pay for the labor on this.

Date created: 2011-10-17 Name: subcooled.ca
Location: Canada, Ontario, mississauga

"Great Product"
I install Payne's for a living and never have problems with them. Installation of any a/c is the key, if you are looking for a cheap install, you will get what you pay for. I always tell my clients that the install is much more important than the brand Proper refrigeration practices must be followed or a compressor burnout is not uncommon after a couple of years.

Date created: 2011-07-20 Name: j. samons
Location: south point , ohio

"Outstanding unit"
This past april, turned my 12 year old Bryant brand ac on only to find out a storm 3 days prior had blown a hole in side of compressor from lighting strike. As this older Bryant was a r-22 unit, I was unable to replace with Bryant brand. a/c contractor stated that Carrier corp still marketed units under the Payne brand (budget, contractor equipment). Installed 4 ton unit in early april, as of today, no problems. Very quiet, keeps up with cooling load, and is backed by Carrier. cant go wrong. and yes, it is all in how it is installed.