Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Adam W. Henry, Jr.
Location: Houston, TX. 77065

"Poor Quaility Product"
Had our 5 ton Payne condensor unit replaced on 1-31-12, after 10 months the unit quit operating. a/c tech found a crack in the coil running along the fin area. The crack could not be replaced and the unit has to be replaced. This is going to cost approximately $500.00 out of my pocket for something that is their fault. If it were not for the factory defect, I would not be writing the very negative review. The contractor has given me a discount on labor, but I am still out the cost of the freon, 15 lbs. @ $24.00 p/lb. The manufaturer stated the cost of replacing of the unit is not covered my the warranty and it is my responsibality to pay. This unit is less than 10 months old. I will not recommend a Payne unit to anyone, and will the a voice to be heard. Run from Payne as quick as you can, I am stuck unless I spend $6,000.00 to have a differt manufature's unti installed. Again run from Payne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2012-09-14 Name: Alexine Raineri
Location: Hyde Park, MA 02136

"Payne is a Pain"
After I had the air conditioner put in, it was blowing warm air. It took me several calls to get him back. After he said that he fixed it, he told me to wait a couple of hours for the air to cool. Five days later it was still blowing warm air. After many calls, he finally came back and fixed it, but he had it dripping in the garage instead of outside. He came back and "taped" a piece of hose instead of using a coupler or just replacing it with one piece. Then he drilled a hole through the garage with caulking it. He agreed to come back and caulk the hole, but he never did. I don't think that using tape to connect a hole is acceptable. I called and wrote to Payne, but they would not help me with the issues. You have lost a customer for good.

Date created: 2012-08-09 Name: Kenneth Kennedy
Location: maryland

"Parts warranty"
All Payne equipment comes with a 10 year parts warranty if its registered within a period of time. Sorry about the problems you people have, it sounds like your installing dealer didn't give you all the facts.

Date created: 2012-07-20 Name: Tammy Hass
Location: Chattanooga, TN

"DO Not Buy a Payne unless you want One!!"
Purchased in 2009, replaced the cooling fan last July 2011, replacing the cooling fan again this July 2012. Labor is not covered. The Payne is a payne in the buttocks!!!! Will never purchase another one!! If you are looking for a new ac do not buy a payne!! Well, after calling customer service today, the csa "Took Notes" but there is no recall on the fan motor. I guess there is a need for a class action lawsuit.

Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: d price
Location: Easley SC

"PAYNE is INDEED a very PAIN"
Home warranty replaced a 26 y/o ge 3 1/2 Ton unit and slipped in a 3 ton unit instead.. will not cool the house.. 3 years ago... house has not seen 68 degrees since the ge unit left. Have had the 'pain' serviced 2 times a year - they come out. 'gas' it up... power bill has also increased $100. per month, both winter & summer since the Payne was installed.. leaks.. water and freon... company refuses even to this day to do anything about the troubles.. dont by one... lemons!!!!!!

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: P. Mahfood
Location: Florida

"Lemon PA3Z, 3.5 ton package unit"
A 3.5 Ton Payne, package unit Installed 08/06/2009. In 1 week, the Evaporator Blew. The coil was replaced by Payne. Labor cost, by me. Less than a year later, same coil burst, The coil was replaced by Payne. Labor and freon cost, by me. Six months later, the dc motor failed. The motor was replaced by Payne. Labor cost, by me. Last night, 07/13/2012, coil blew again. Payne said that I must pay Labor and freon again. Only an Idiot will buy a Payne. I was an Idiot, once, not again. I am dumping this unit and replacing it with a rheem.

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: M. Guy
Location: Massillon, OH

"Not a pain here...."
Luckily, I have a friend of the family who works for a commercial hvac contractor. He suggested a Payne ac to go with the Payne furnace he installed 6 years before. I have had my ac for 3 summers and my furnace for 9 winters- with regular maintenance, I have not had an issue with either one. I am certainly blessed to have an hvac person I can trust and I am happy with both my Payne ac & Payne Furnace and I would definitely buy the same brand again.

Date created: 2012-06-27 Name: Buzzard
Location: Dallas

"Payne Coil replacement $$$$"
Payne ph13nr060 less than 5 yrs old, ouside coil is leaking oil, so it needs replaced ($1850.00 for new coil if outside warranty). So mine is covered by warranty, but it's going to cost me the freeon($800.00) & labor to have it replaced, plue the Carrier dealer in Farmers Branch, tx wants me to pay on my credit card to get it shipped from Carrier in St. Louis, then they will refund the cost once it arrives. this is insane!!! What a crap product. If it fails within warranty it is their problem, they should fix it all at no cost to the consumer. I just had a transmission replaced ($4500) & gm paid for the fluid & the labor to have it installed. I know there's a difference, but build a product that you don't have to replace before the warranty runs out. Don't buy Carrier or Payne products!!!

Date created: 2012-05-23 Name: ed hunter
Location: Mobile, AL

"LEMON"
Bought this package unit in sep 2009 and it's been a lemon, evaporator coil replaced, condenser coil replace, compressor replaced woke up this morning and broke again.

Date created: 2012-05-19 Name: kevin l
Location: [email protected]

"Payne is a Carrier Product"
I am a contractor. Just for the one person who said they bought a Carrier to replace a Payne: Payne is owned by the same corporation that makes Carrier, and is built on the same platform and uses mostly the same parts. Sounds like you had inexperienced installers. Carrier is pickier on who they sell to, so likely was the issue not the product. Almost all equipment is equal if built in the United States. Pick qualified installers with a good reputation. Companies change installers and service techs frequently so you can't rely on a "company" name. Ask friends who the techicians were and ask for them.