Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2018-08-14 Name: mcrisp
Location: North Carolina

"14 months of hvac problems"
I had a Payne HVAC unit installed in June of 2017. It has not worked almost more than it has worked. After it was installed I had the company that installed it (the home warranty company-First American Home Shield - who also, by the way, is the warranty company for Payne) back to my house many times before I insisted that they get me a 2nd opinion on the unit. I believe this unit is a lemon. It is also non-discriminating: it doesn't work any better in heat mode than it does in cool mode. It is an unreliable POS. I paid every month for 14 years to have a home warranty that, in the case of this unit, was a waste of money. Yes, I am as mad about the home warranty company service as I am at the Payne (in the butt) unit. It is a balmy 84 degrees upstairs in my house tonight. I had to send my child off to sleep at a friends b/c it is simply too hot for him (or me) to sleep in our bedrooms. The downstairs unit, not a Payne, is perfectly functional, although it is working hard to keep up in this August heat. Payne lives up to it's name.

Date created: 2018-07-03 Name: Bama Girl
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

"Loud and huge"
Had Payne installed 6/23/18 based on the advice of a tech. Thought I was getting a good deal, but apparently this model is obsolete because itís not even listed as an option to select on the drop down menu. Unit cools just fine, which is a plus in the southern heat. But, itís so loud and disturbed my rest. I have to turn the TV up extra loud to drown out the A/C. My old Trane unit gave out after 18 faithful years.
Date created: 2018-06-03 Name: Billy Sweek
Location: Sweetwater

"GARBAGE"
Yep junk I live in small town we have 2 a/c businesses in town my old Trane unit was hit by lighting so I called m&m oh yes they ran to my aid after the talked darmers out of almost 10 grand fine weíll guess what I thought I purchased a Trane well winter came along and boom blower motor out got it working m&m tried to bill me I called said donít u realize you guys installed this isnít it In your system oh yes then they found it well it worked and boom summertime is here itís been 105 these idiots are working 9-5 wWTF I own a business myself and we work for the public we go out of our way to dhow our appreciation to our customers so now I sit with a Walmart indoor room ac thatís works fine for this weekend $368 at Walmart not bad works great but Monday Iím calling mm again what a joke stewing people outta good money misrepresenting a Payne for a train oh yeah the installer was wired on that Meth crap so realize folks if u know a ac guy wanting to start a business come on down heíll I'll go in partners with them to stop this mess weíll there's my review Payne air con is garbage
Date created: 2018-05-17 Name: Jhun
Location: Killeen, TX

"Worth it"
I bought and installed my Central ac Unit back in 2009. So far, everything is still in good order. I paid $3400 including installation and ac duck cleaning. I just make sure I flush my or pour bleach on my water exhaust pipe twice a month and visually check the airflow filter before I change it. I'll be more happy if my ac lasted for another 6 years.
Date created: 2018-04-09 Name: R. Mahoney
Location: Clearwater, FL

"Worst AC Unit Ever"
Bought our unit in November of 2016 within 6 months the blower unit ceased working. That was under warranty for the first year only. After another 6 months the unit blower quit again, company came out looked at the system replaced the blower but said out return vents were collapsing causing the issue. 1200 dollars later replaced all returns and vent. Well guess what here I am in April of 2018 and the unit is not blowing again. If you ac company recommends this unit, I would seriously reconsider who maintains your Air Conditioning needs, as this is a money maker for them. Yes the parts have been warrantied so far, this time I can say it wont be, but when gauranteed they still charge you a service call to diagnose and then a service call to return to repair it...get the meaning! Run from this unit, pay a little more and get a quality ac Unit!!! Run as fast as you can and do not look back!!!!
Date created: 2017-08-19 Name: Kelli
Location: Blanchester, OH

"Defective unit"
Replaced our old unit after 23 years. Our home warranty covered the replacement with Payne unit on August 17, 2017. On August 19, 2017 we noticed we had a leak in our ceiling. Called the company that installed and they sent a tech out immediately. What was found was a defective pump. I know need to replace the pump, ceiling, insulation and flooring from the water damage. This was only installed 2 days ago.
Date created: 2017-07-05 Name: Greg Wysk
Location: Bismarck, ND

"My Payne works fine"
I've had a Payne central air unit for the 13 years I've owned my house, and just today I had the first problem in all that time -- a $23 run capacitor burned out yesterday probably due to the heat and age. My HVAC person seems to think it's a good unit. I can't complain.
Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: Jamie Berry
Location: Helena, AL

"Won't stand behind warranty"
We had a Payne unit installed in 2010 and we were told it would have a 10 year warranty. In October of 2016 the fan motor went out and Payne refused to warranty the part. The customer service lady was rude and wouldn't even start to listen to our complaints. It was obvious that this company does not care about their customers. I would advise anyone not to buy this product.
Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: V Lincoln

"Garbage! This unit has been nothing but trouble from day one!"
After purchasing this unit 7 years ago I have had nothing but trouble. I've had to refill Freon at $300.00 continuously. I've suffered with no AC this summer because the unit doesn't work.
Date created: 2016-06-20 Name: Bryan

"Works well"
Owned for 3 years now, system still is going strong. As for the bad reviews on here, they are either lemons, or much more common it is improper installation. Payne is a Carrier brand, but unlike Carrier, Payne is sold to anyone with HVAC certification. This often means installers are less experienced, leading to errors that shorten the life span or cause the system to prematurely fail. Find someone reputable to service regularly. Don't rely on home warranty technicians, have someone follow up and inspect the work. Do your homework on the technician, it makes a big difference. A common issue that I have heard of with these units are when R22 is used. I have read a large number of those using R22 suffer compressor blowouts. There are laws since 2010 against using R22, so be careful of any installer who wants to use a dry charge system and use R22 instead of 410A. I highly recommend use of 410A even if the cost the replace the lines is very expensive. I'd say on average expect about 10 years of life with this unit.