Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-06-20 Name: Bryan

"Works well"
Owned for 3 years now, system still is going strong. As for the bad reviews on here, they are either lemons, or much more common it is improper installation. Payne is a Carrier brand, but unlike Carrier, Payne is sold to anyone with HVAC certification. This often means installers are less experienced, leading to errors that shorten the life span or cause the system to prematurely fail. Find someone reputable to service regularly. Don't rely on home warranty technicians, have someone follow up and inspect the work. Do your homework on the technician, it makes a big difference. A common issue that I have heard of with these units are when R22 is used. I have read a large number of those using R22 suffer compressor blowouts. There are laws since 2010 against using R22, so be careful of any installer who wants to use a dry charge system and use R22 instead of 410A. I highly recommend use of 410A even if the cost the replace the lines is very expensive. I'd say on average expect about 10 years of life with this unit.

Date created: 2016-05-15 Name: Brian Russom
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Defective"
Purchased brand new and installed unit in September 2015. Not working the following Spring, May 2016. The guy who installed it came back and told me valve was defective, and Freon had leaked out.

Date created: 2016-02-11 Name: D. Lee
Location: North Carolina

"Cheapest Payne unit"
All I can says is Payne has the worst, cheapest units. I bought this unit back in 2010. I had problem with my Payne unit the first month after the technician installed it. I had nothing but problem after problem. Every time the season changes the unit fails to work. The technician has come to fix the unit more than 20 times. Every time I call and email the company about my unit they always give me the runaround. No one ever returned my calls. I waited 6 months, and they finally replied to my email and said we cannot help you, call your technician. This is very very bad customer service. They don't care about their customers at all, all they do is get your money and ignore everything else. I'll do more research before purchasing a different brand of unit. I'll throw this Payne in the trash.

Date created: 2015-12-15 Name: C. Bishop
Location: Suwanee, FL

"Payne A/C"
Buyer beware! Only unit available on Labor Day weekend in our vacation home. Due to humidity control we leave it on when we are not there. Every fall when heat is needed, the unit won't work, including 2 months after install. Warranty covered initial parts but we had to pay service calls. After the warranty expired we paid another appliance company to replace the motor ($700). November 2015, the unit would not work again, it needs module in motor & relay. Have been a Florida homeowner with central heat & air for 45 years & have never had a unit that fails every year! Will never purchase a Payne again as it has truly been a royal pain.

Date created: 2015-10-05 Location: Louisville, KY

"Great air conditioner, a little loud"
I have owned my Payne central air conditioning unit for as long as I have owned my house, which is 6 years. I have been very happy with the unit's performance, it cools the house very well and has been incredibly reliable over those 6 years with no need for major service. The cost to use it is reasonable and it does not run for excessively long periods, even in the heat. I will say that I dislike the noise, the unit tends to be a bit louder than my previous unit (rental, do not recall the brand). This can be distracting at times and I do wish I had a quieter unit. I think if I would go back and buy another unit I would likely stick with Payne as a brand because I am very impressed with their reliability, but I would likely look at other options for models with more of an emphasis on noise and sound. I would definitely recommend the brand to a friend and if they are okay with noise I would recommend this model.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: E. Alexander
Location: Florence, SC

"Payne = Garbage"
I recently purchased a shopping center and had to replace four AC units. The company I used and trusted recommended Payne for all four units. The fan motors have already quit in two of them after only 16 months, costing over $500 a piece ( the only thing covered longer than a year is the compressor ) and the technicians said it is a known problem and the other two units would surely fail as well. They did not even replace with the original Payne part because they said it still has the same problem. I no longer use my trusted HVAC company and will certainly never buy Payne again. Don't make the same mistake.

Date created: 2015-06-25 Name: lcanger
Location: Barrington, Il

"Customer service stinks"
Tried to call Payne for a service manual and they basically refused to send me one. They told me that they wouldn't even tell me where the furnace filter was so that I could replace it. What a load of cow manure! I would never deal with them again.. First experience with a company being so ignorant.

Date created: 2014-08-28 Name: A.Martinez
Location: Waco, Texas

"Payne trash"
Payne a/c unit installed, outside and inside unit, 7/22/2008. $6000.00 installed. Motor started to buzz last week, 8/14/2014, and died. 104 heat index. Called service guy. Motor module burned up, $500.00 to repair???? Thought I had a 10 year warranty. Payne's own press release dated 2/28/2008 states a 10 warranty. Contacted Payne. They stated it was only 5 years. Contacted them a second time. They stated those units used r-22 instead of r-410a refrigerant, so I was out of luck. I'm still trying to get a refund. Stay away from those units. They will not accept blame for a crappy product!

Date created: 2014-08-17 Name: C
Location: Texas

"Works good"
I've had my Payne unit for 6 years and it's been fairly reliable. I have two service calls with in the first year and a half. The first one was over the Memorial Day weekend of 2008 it was over 90 degrees outside and inside my house on that Sunday , I called the installing dealer Tom Martin a/c said he would be there on Tuesday and it was a holiday I reminded him that this unit was only 6 weeks old still had to wait. He tried his best to make me pay for his installation mistake causing all the coolest to leak out. The second service call was a bad contact I had to pay 79.00 for a service call even though it was under warranty and arguing with him what was wrong with this unit. Since that service call I've had no major problems except a 2 dollar fuse to replace. The unit cools and heats great and is very quiet compared to the hunk of junk trane that was in my house. I will never use tom Martin ac ever again , but can recommend this brand as a good unit for the price

Date created: 2014-08-07 Name: k cranford
Location: tucson,az

"Payne uses cheaply manufactured parts"
My unit was installed in June 2013. I did have a licensed contractor install and service it. It was ordered thought American Home Shield. In July 2014, it stopped working. 3 licensed contractors (money out of pocket= $300 plus) came to look at it, it turns out it is the condenser coil (it has a leak and has to be replaced) The warranty for the unit is 10 years, but for parts is only 5 years (????). So the licensed contractor ordered the part.It will/is taking over 3 weeks to be delivered and AHS does not cover freon, so it will be more $$$$ out of pocket. This "new" unit is garbage, plus getting parts for it is ridiculous. 3 plus weeks???? I live in AZ! How can anyone say that Payne is a good product, if the parts fail in a year??? I have had reputable service companies do all the work and maintenance of this ac unit, so don't tell me its the installation