Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: Jamie Berry
Location: Helena, AL

"Won't stand behind warranty"
We had a Payne unit installed in 2010 and we were told it would have a 10 year warranty. In October of 2016 the fan motor went out and Payne refused to warranty the part. The customer service lady was rude and wouldn't even start to listen to our complaints. It was obvious that this company does not care about their customers. I would advise anyone not to buy this product.

Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: V Lincoln

"Garbage! This unit has been nothing but trouble from day one!"
After purchasing this unit 7 years ago I have had nothing but trouble. I've had to refill Freon at $300.00 continuously. I've suffered with no AC this summer because the unit doesn't work.

Date created: 2016-06-20 Name: Bryan

"Works well"
Owned for 3 years now, system still is going strong. As for the bad reviews on here, they are either lemons, or much more common it is improper installation. Payne is a Carrier brand, but unlike Carrier, Payne is sold to anyone with HVAC certification. This often means installers are less experienced, leading to errors that shorten the life span or cause the system to prematurely fail. Find someone reputable to service regularly. Don't rely on home warranty technicians, have someone follow up and inspect the work. Do your homework on the technician, it makes a big difference. A common issue that I have heard of with these units are when R22 is used. I have read a large number of those using R22 suffer compressor blowouts. There are laws since 2010 against using R22, so be careful of any installer who wants to use a dry charge system and use R22 instead of 410A. I highly recommend use of 410A even if the cost the replace the lines is very expensive. I'd say on average expect about 10 years of life with this unit.

Date created: 2016-05-15 Name: Brian Russom
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Defective"
Purchased brand new and installed unit in September 2015. Not working the following Spring, May 2016. The guy who installed it came back and told me valve was defective, and Freon had leaked out.

Date created: 2016-02-11 Name: D. Lee
Location: North Carolina

"Cheapest Payne unit"
All I can says is Payne has the worst, cheapest units. I bought this unit back in 2010. I had problem with my Payne unit the first month after the technician installed it. I had nothing but problem after problem. Every time the season changes the unit fails to work. The technician has come to fix the unit more than 20 times. Every time I call and email the company about my unit they always give me the runaround. No one ever returned my calls. I waited 6 months, and they finally replied to my email and said we cannot help you, call your technician. This is very very bad customer service. They don't care about their customers at all, all they do is get your money and ignore everything else. I'll do more research before purchasing a different brand of unit. I'll throw this Payne in the trash.

Date created: 2015-12-15 Name: C. Bishop
Location: Suwanee, FL

"Payne A/C"
Buyer beware! Only unit available on Labor Day weekend in our vacation home. Due to humidity control we leave it on when we are not there. Every fall when heat is needed, the unit won't work, including 2 months after install. Warranty covered initial parts but we had to pay service calls. After the warranty expired we paid another appliance company to replace the motor ($700). November 2015, the unit would not work again, it needs module in motor & relay. Have been a Florida homeowner with central heat & air for 45 years & have never had a unit that fails every year! Will never purchase a Payne again as it has truly been a royal pain.

Date created: 2015-10-05 Location: Louisville, KY

"Great air conditioner, a little loud"
I have owned my Payne central air conditioning unit for as long as I have owned my house, which is 6 years. I have been very happy with the unit's performance, it cools the house very well and has been incredibly reliable over those 6 years with no need for major service. The cost to use it is reasonable and it does not run for excessively long periods, even in the heat. I will say that I dislike the noise, the unit tends to be a bit louder than my previous unit (rental, do not recall the brand). This can be distracting at times and I do wish I had a quieter unit. I think if I would go back and buy another unit I would likely stick with Payne as a brand because I am very impressed with their reliability, but I would likely look at other options for models with more of an emphasis on noise and sound. I would definitely recommend the brand to a friend and if they are okay with noise I would recommend this model.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: E. Alexander
Location: Florence, SC

"Payne = Garbage"
I recently purchased a shopping center and had to replace four AC units. The company I used and trusted recommended Payne for all four units. The fan motors have already quit in two of them after only 16 months, costing over $500 a piece ( the only thing covered longer than a year is the compressor ) and the technicians said it is a known problem and the other two units would surely fail as well. They did not even replace with the original Payne part because they said it still has the same problem. I no longer use my trusted HVAC company and will certainly never buy Payne again. Don't make the same mistake.

Date created: 2015-06-25 Name: lcanger
Location: Barrington, Il

"Customer service stinks"
Tried to call Payne for a service manual and they basically refused to send me one. They told me that they wouldn't even tell me where the furnace filter was so that I could replace it. What a load of cow manure! I would never deal with them again.. First experience with a company being so ignorant.

Date created: 2014-08-28 Name: A.Martinez
Location: Waco, Texas

"Payne trash"
Payne a/c unit installed, outside and inside unit, 7/22/2008. $6000.00 installed. Motor started to buzz last week, 8/14/2014, and died. 104 heat index. Called service guy. Motor module burned up, $500.00 to repair???? Thought I had a 10 year warranty. Payne's own press release dated 2/28/2008 states a 10 warranty. Contacted Payne. They stated it was only 5 years. Contacted them a second time. They stated those units used r-22 instead of r-410a refrigerant, so I was out of luck. I'm still trying to get a refund. Stay away from those units. They will not accept blame for a crappy product!