Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG central air conditioners

Read more about MAYTAG central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-06-17 Name: D. Widner
Location: Anderson, SC

"Do not buy this POS"
I have two of these pieces of crap and after 8 years I have had two coils, capacitors, etc. replaced. They hid the once great Maytag quality under a company called Nordyne, now Nortek Global HVAC. I now know why they changed their name. Must be too many lawsuits. They are crooks. They also changed warranty carriers that do not pay. I want to sue these people. Any lawyers want to do a class action lawsuit?

Date created: 2015-05-29 Name: Scott Eitel
Location: Chico, CA

"Nordyne piece of crap"
I have been involved in the HVAC business since 1974. Of all of the brands I had to deal with, Nordyne is by far the biggest piece of junk across the board that I have ever seen. They don't back their best in the industry warranty. They approve a repair to the contractor and when the bill is submitted they don't pay (14 months and counting). Every other manufacturer provides the warranty parts and we provide the labor. Not Nordung. Because they have no intention of covering the warranty issues, that is a great business plan and profit center. They will probably change the names so they can start over soon.

Date created: 2014-10-13 Name: Charles Hollier
Location: Sugar Land, TX

"Mike from Seattle is kind of right"
I agree with Mike to a point. Poor installation can cause many problems, such as a poor tubing sweat job can leak. Worse, it can cause slag to get into the system, causing the compressor valves to malfunction or get hung up in the expansion valve. These are problems that can be caused by poor installation. The evaporators and the expansion valves usually come in a completely manufactured unit and are installed as such. Manufacturers are using "much" thinner copper to get better cooling from their units. Some are converting to aluminum instead of copper. Many more of the present day home building materials have formaldehyde in them. Also, houses are much more tightly built today. These formaldehyde fumes get onto the wet evaporator coil, causing formic acid which will eat small holes in the evaporators, causing them to leak. What we customers need is for manufacturers to build better units. Engineers today can build anything to last just beyond the guarantee, or 20 to 30 years, like the old days. As for untrained installers, all the manufacturers have to do is say any unit installed by an uncertified installer will not have any warranty. Many of the uncertified installers are hired by the home builders, which is out of the eventual home owners control.

Date created: 2014-10-06 Name: K williams
Location: Florida

"Awful AC"
Absolutely awful. We purchased our first unit in September 2008 or 2009. We have had 2 or 3 units since the initial purchase. Several trips out, and another one two days ago. And now, we are not working again. It's losing Freon once again. I have lost count on the numerous problems. Obviously, Maytag belongs in the laundry room.

Date created: 2014-10-04 Name: J. Wallace
Location: Gallatin

"Well pleased"
I had never heard of a Maytag air conditioning unit until one was installed at my office a couple of years ago. I have actually been very satisfied, so much so that I have installed one at my condo in Florida and another one at my office. They have performed extremely well and I am now sold on Maytag HVAC.

Date created: 2014-08-06 Name: Bob Lyons
Location: Brentwood, Tn.

"Even the best air contractor in Nashville sayes these units are trouble"
Because of a flood in 2010, we had to replace 2 combo units and 1 split unit. Counting new duct work the cost was over $30,000.00. One of the best contractors in town did the work. First year the first coil failed. No problem it was covered under warranty. Second year second coil failed on another unit, but now I have to pay labor. Third year the third coil failed on the third unit: labor was charged. Each of these charges were over $1000.00. Now the four year the blower motor fan on the largest unit is shot. This is only $280.00 labor. My contractor is working with me on this labor charge, and is sorry, but there is no excuse for such shoddy product. I know Maytag didn't make these units, and my contractor doesn't install them anymore, but they are even having trouble getting parts to fix these units. Reading other reviews somebody needs to bring a class action suit against the maker.

Date created: 2014-08-01 Name: RS
Location: southwest

"Bad decision"
Bought our unit a few years ago. Was persuaded by the warranty and how comprehensive it was. Ac just wont keep up and now we are paying $1200 to replace our coil (Maytag doesn't cover labor or reclaim/recharge). Was told that Maytag uses sub par parts and with the r410 being corrosive and higher pressure the crap material in the coils is giving out at an alarming rate. The service company was nice, but I hate having to pay this much money on a new unit that the manufacture is reluctant to stand behind or fix. To boot, not sure if the new coil will last longer than two years this time or will be paying for this all over again in 2016. Maytag has lost me as a customer for life for anything they or their namesake make.

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: D. Rule
Location: Sarasota, FL

"Repeated repairs"
Bought house 5 months ago, thank goodness we paid to transfer warranty and set up service contract with original installer. House has 4 outdoor units and 4 air handlers. They have replaced 2 fan motors on outdoor units and one fan motor on an air handler. Maytags were installed in 2010. They cool well when running and are easy on electricity. I don't think these component failures could have been caused by improper installation. We are in Florida and these units run year around but the Trane unit at our home in Tennessee ran cooling in the summer and heat in the winter and I never had a service call in 3 years.

Date created: 2014-06-11 Name: Been there and Done It
Location: Orange County, CA

"The Initial Installer is critical"
Absolutely it is critical to select the correct Heating and Air vendor first and foremost. Opt for the Vendor's warranty. As the average person knows crap-all about central Air units let alone how to properly install one, it is grossly unfair to complain about the unit itself as if it alone is the sole problem source. Critical to do your homework, folks. Don't base your decision of the unit and Installer solely on price. Ya want something with a known track record. Be sure the Installer vendors out there aren't lowballing ya because they think that is all that is important to ya. By the same hand, ya don't need the $ Million dollar unit or something with no known history cuz its brand new on the market.

Date created: 2014-05-15 Name: J Porter
Location: Ft oglethorpe, Ga

"JUNK!"
We built our house in Dec, 2006 and have had nothing but problems with this unit. Have replaced compressor, capacitor, repaired leak in coils and now have another leak to the tune of $917.00 dollars. So, instead of wasting any more money we are getting a new unit. Sept 2013 spent 370.00 and November 780.00 on compressor and now this. Will never buy another Maytag. Tried emailing all I got was a run around nobody would take responsibility for anything. Pass the buck. Every one of them I talked to said I needed to talk to someone else to get the same answer. Very disgusted with Maytag. Will never own Maytag anything!!