Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG central air conditioners

Read more about MAYTAG central air conditioners

Date created: 2017-06-24 Name: Michael S. Rowe
Location: Apopka, FL

"Maytag AC sucks"
Purchase three units for my house all three units have been replaced at least twice and one unit has now been replaced seven times and today yet again another unit just went out Maytag does not make a good product Nortech the company that makes them does not stand behind it Gemaire the company here in Florida that distributes them does not care if you have a problem there was one woman in the office that did care and she took care of me with my last unit but now it has broken too I'm not gonna find another brand to install. Keep in mind these units were installed only six months ago and I haven't even made a full year yet.

Date created: 2017-03-16 Name: Joseph Fontenot
Location: Houma, LA

"Very unsatisfied"
Received April 14, 2014 I have not had 6 month of good service, had three coils go out, compressor trouble, have been dripping in my closet from day one, service company not good. Labor warranty over with. I can see re buying this unit in repairs. Four years old is too early to replace, wished I would had looked into this brand before I purchased. Talked to service company who had Maytag before and was advised they had to give it up because of problems with equipment just like I have.

Date created: 2016-11-23 Name: Rick Honest Contractor
Location: Miami, FL

"Caution-many reviews are by A/C employees"
Caution-many reviews on this site are submitted by a/c contractor employees. A quick Google brought up the truth.

Date created: 2016-10-18 Name: denise
Location: Merritt Island, FL

"No service on warranted complaints"
The warranted service from Maytag was horrible. I went to the website listing the local Representative that handles the Nortek waranty. Maytag and Nortek both claim to have nothing to do with any issues. They just passed the buck. Maytag and Maytag cares kept telling me they would call...for 6 months. Then they sent me to Nortek Global. I spoke to a woman who kept telling me why they are not responsible for their listed Representative. ***** ******* then went on to say any complaints to Nortek go to her, from any department. I find that hard to believe, but if true there is zero customer service. She then blew me off and said she spoke to the original carrier from Jim Air. She then called me back to tell me they are not going to help me. I refused to listen to her. Jim Air had no one to help me and I am now contacting the corporate office and hopefully the president to let him know. Therefore; Maytag, Nortek warranty and Jim Air so far, none of them take responsibility and pass the buck. Do not believe you have a warranty, they do not care and blow you off with smug answers!

Date created: 2016-09-03 Name: Dr. William Schmoker
Location: Creedmoor, NC

"Absolutely phenonomal, the electric dropped $400 a month"
Agreed, attention to detail is critical. 410a refrigerant is very picky, if your installer does not run a new 1-1/8" lineset , shoot him and get someone that understands, details matter. It is imperative that the installer purge with nitrogen twice, once before vacuum to leak test his brazed connections for 30 minutes, and again after pulling a vacuum to 1000 microns, before pulling his second vacuum to 100 microns. There are 1000's of unqualified installers and self-called techs out there in big fancy trucks. So prior to the wonderful Maytag, a nasty Goodman lived outside for 12 long miserable years slurping electricity @$600 a month, leaking refrigerant, not cooling the house, and the indoor air handler was undersized for the needed capacity of the house. I heard that a young man from our church did exceptional HVAC work, upon asking around everyone that he had done work for raved that their air performed flawlessly after he left. So I gave Cozy Heating & Air of Creedmoor a call 919-452-5522 . The young man came out took a quick look, and promptly told us that our equipment was undersized, the electric wires were currently 12 ga and should be #8 stranded for less loss, the lineset needed to be 3 times bigger, and that we needed a big 20 x 25 air return installed in the ceiling upstairs. He told us that it would take about a week, but he would happily guarantee cooling satisfaction if we had him do the work. Our heads were spinning, what he said was completely opposite of what the Wake electric expert and Trane rep stated days prior in their equipment and 4 hour install time calculations. My gut told me this young fellow knew what he was talking about. The Trane fellow drove a big fancy truck due to getting rich from his customers' misfortune, whereas the fellow from Cozy showed up in a old Mercedes packed with the nicest tools I had ever seen. We went with Cozy Heating & Air, our house has never been so cold in the summer and dehumidified! He did exactly everything he said he would do. It's been almost 2 years of indoor comfort now, the stainless steel Maytag is the envy of all the neighbors. A quality install truly takes time. If you want it done right call 919-452-5522.

Date created: 2016-08-12 Name: D. Whitley
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Three strikes- out!"
I had my house built here in North Carolina. It's an approximately 3,000 square foot ranch with a 1,000 square foot bonus room. My builder insisted on using Maytag products. I questioned him on the choice because I had never heard of a Maytag HVAC. He said it had a great warranty and held up really well. I have lived here for 8 years and I am trying to have one unit replaced this week, the second one is on its last leg and the third one, which is a heat pump, has had problems every year since we moved in. Maytag has not paid for any of the repairs. I have paid for everything out of my pocket. In less than 10 years I will have spent $12,000 to replace all three units. Stay away from Maytag products and be careful of contractors and builders that push them.

Date created: 2016-08-01 Name: Sephanie Hart
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"Long one - bad, bad, bad!"
Bought A/C new 6/13/2013--paid over $4000! It replaced the Miller Intertherm I bought in either 1994 or 1995 (yeah--18 or 19 years!) On 7/1/2016 (yep-3 years later) I woke up and it was making odd sounds. Bearing froze/seized? Motor seized? Then I smelled something burning coming from the vents. I shut it off at the thermostat, but still heard sounds-- went outside a bit later & the fan was still running! I had to shut it off at the breaker box next to the unit! Called my usual HVAC place--J&B in Greendale. Couldn't come til 7/5 (holiday weekend). That was OK--weather was cooler than predicted. J&B tech came, took a look at it--had no idea why this part right behind the access panel virtually melted down (the burning smell). He called Nortek, got either a busy signal or disconnected. I got him the book--that part is nowhere to be found on the schematics/wiring diagram. After a few calls to Johnston, Nortek Central, he said, "I have the parts, but I can't touch it--it's warranty work and you have to have the installer do the work". That cost me $73.86 after a loyalty/senior discount. So I call Tower View/Pioneer(TV/P) who put it in. Let the games begin! I tried myself to call Nortek to see if anyone besides TV/P could do the work. When I could get through and push 1, push 2, push 1, I spoke to someone who gave me a number--it was Sid Harvey, a distributor! Called back, disconnected. Called back, busy signal. Called back, went to Warranty and finally got a ticket number and was sent to Mobile Home Stuff in Fond du Lac. I mentioned that both the J&B tech and I had trouble getting through on the phone...."Oh, yes, we've been having trouble with our phones today and they're being worked on." Swell. So l call MHS...MHS did sell the unit to TV/P, but MHS bought it from Johnstone. Yeah, I was confused too. So now back to the fun and games with TV/P Well...TV/P is not in any hurry to do anything...tech says, "Well, I'd have to look at the warranty, see what it covers, this and that, etc. etc." I said, "I have it all here. I have a copier and by the time you get here I'll have it printed out for you." After some prodding and persuasion, he decided to come over and get it so he could read it and get the ball rolling. It took the better part of a week to get it fixed. And that week was hot! High 80's/low 90's all week (heat index upper 90's) and if there was a breeze it was a hot southwest breeze. A balmy 93 in the house. Bought another table fan ($13) for the living room. Now, TV/P was calling Nortek. Nobody knew what the melted down part was--lots of back and forth. Lots of people in and out of my house to play with the thermostat, flip a switch on the inside breaker box, look at the thermostat, replace the thermostat, tell me, "Well, can't do anymore today, Nortek's closed and I still don't know the answers." Finally it got fixed a week later. Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't just go somewhere, I couldn't if I wanted to--it was the week of SummerFest and there were no rooms anywhere! Believe me, I looked! So, there's a knock at my door either Thursday (7/29) or Friday (7/30). It's the guy from TV/P. My cost will be almost $600 for labor (not covered under warranty). After the J&B call and the fan, it will be over $600! Not to mention the intangibles like sweating my butt off for a full week (and the fun of running to the bedroom to put on some clothes when TV/P shows up unannounced-yeah, I was walking around in my skivvies-it was hot). I live in Wisconsin...we don't get that much summer. As a matter of fact, the 90 day filter works just fine! And in June, I used the last of the 3 pack of filters I bought in 2013 when I got this Maytag Misfit. When you live in a mobile home, your choices for everything from insurance to repairs to mechanicals are very limited. Apparently the Maytag Man doesn't do A/C, 'cos if he did, he wouldn't be bored!

Date created: 2016-07-25 Name: Tom Morgan
Location: North Idaho

"Love my Maytag system"
I have had my Maytag furnace and A/C for just over 5 years now. Aside from filter changes monthly I've had no breakdowns and no repairs. I live in North Idaho and my system runs year round. It has a great warranty but I haven't needed it. Absolutely a fantastic product based on my experience so far. I referred my contractor to my elderly parents who also had a full heat/cool system installed. I change their filters monthly as well. Zero problems with their equipment also. I would buy this product again and will continue to recommend it to my friends and family.

Date created: 2016-06-20 Name: Pam nelson

"I never would have thought Maytag would be a bad product."
I have had the Trane air conditioner in Florida for 17 years now on my other house and on this house in Tennessee I installed a Maytag because I've never had problems with my washer and dishwasher. But less than two years into it the blower just went out on the Maytag air conditioner. That's ridiculous, and labor is not included

Date created: 2016-05-19 Name: Rick
Location: Florida

"Maytag stainless central air system"
Do not buy a Maytag AC! I was lucky to get 9 years out of it. A fan motor this winter and now it looks like a compressor. Sad thing is the biggest and most trusted AC company sold it to me and they claim to have taken it in the shorts too. The unit looks like new inside and out. I live on the coast but but have kept the outside unit sprayed with marine corrosion inhibitor. They are going to see what the Bandits will pay under the 12-year parts and labor warranty and if it costs me any significant amount I will shop elsewhere for a new unit. My family and I have done business with them since the 1970s. Dealers take notice! Sure way to lose a lifetime customer.