Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG central air conditioners

Read more about MAYTAG central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-07-25 Name: Tom Morgan
Location: North Idaho

"Love my Maytag system"
I have had my Maytag furnace and A/C for just over 5 years now. Aside from filter changes monthly I've had no breakdowns and no repairs. I live in North Idaho and my system runs year round. It has a great warranty but I haven't needed it. Absolutely a fantastic product based on my experience so far. I referred my contractor to my elderly parents who also had a full heat/cool system installed. I change their filters monthly as well. Zero problems with their equipment also. I would buy this product again and will continue to recommend it to my friends and family.

Date created: 2016-06-20 Name: Pam nelson

"I never would have thought Maytag would be a bad product."
I have had the Trane air conditioner in Florida for 17 years now on my other house and on this house in Tennessee I installed a Maytag because I've never had problems with my washer and dishwasher. But less than two years into it the blower just went out on the Maytag air conditioner. That's ridiculous, and labor is not included

Date created: 2016-05-19 Name: Rick
Location: Florida

"Maytag stainless central air system"
Do not buy a Maytag AC! I was lucky to get 9 years out of it. A fan motor this winter and now it looks like a compressor. Sad thing is the biggest and most trusted AC company sold it to me and they claim to have taken it in the shorts too. The unit looks like new inside and out. I live on the coast but but have kept the outside unit sprayed with marine corrosion inhibitor. They are going to see what the Bandits will pay under the 12-year parts and labor warranty and if it costs me any significant amount I will shop elsewhere for a new unit. My family and I have done business with them since the 1970s. Dealers take notice! Sure way to lose a lifetime customer.

Date created: 2016-04-18 Name: George
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"It's not the brand, its the installation."
You name the brand and I'll tell you they for the most part get all their parts from the same part manufacturers. The most important day of a heating and air conditioning systems life is the day it's installed. The workmanship and attention to detail is critical to the equipment and life expectancy. I would bet that the majority of the reviews listed for any manufacturer (Carrier, Lennox, Trane, you name the brand) were caused by some sort of installation/workmanship issue.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: NC

"My Central Air Conditioner Hero"
I have owned my central air conditioning unit since summer of last year (July 2015). I love it so much when it gets hot and humid. I live down South, so the weather gets plain out sticky muggy hot, and I get very irritated easily when it is hot. I bought my Maytag central air conditioner from my local Lowe's and they delivered and installed it within the week. I am very happy with it because it cools the whole house, not just one room that it is in. The whole house will feel whatever temperature I set on the thermostat. If it is a bombing 100 degrees out, it will feel about 72 in my house. I think this central air conditioner system has proven to me and my family that investing in a good name brand system will do wonders and work out for us in the long run. It has not had any problems and I have not had to repair it. I would recommend this to my friends and I am thinking about even getting a Maytag central heat system as well in the near future. It saved me in the summer time, let's see if it can do the same in the winter.

Date created: 2015-10-19 Name: M Canada
Location: Cape Coral, FL

"Do not buy Maytag"
We purchased a Model M1200 AC unit 18 months ago. From the start we noticed no energy savings when compared to our 10 year old unit. We live in Florida and AC is a lifeline at times. The unit stopped working over a week ago and when we contacted the dealer who sold and installed it we were told that our 12 year warranty covered virtually nothing. (Will be following up on that!) We have been without AC for over a week. Our provider continues to tell us that the parts to repair the unit are on the way. Needless to say we wish we had bought anything but a Maytag unit.

Date created: 2015-07-06 Name: Pro-Star Air Conditioning Inc
Location: West Palm Beach, FL

"Maytag A/C units"
Maytag 16 SEER units are as good as any brand out there. They have had problems in years past just as all the others do from time to time, especially the 18 SEER and up systems of all brands years ago. We service and install new A/C systems and no one brand stands out as "the best" units anymore. We quit selling a couple of the big name brands due to parts not being available for replacement in our customers' units for sometimes up to 3 weeks. Not good business. Maytag units have a 12-year parts warranty, run quiet, look nice, and are cool as specified. Installation quality plays a big part in how long units last. Electrical problems are unavoidable at times, but are forgotten if the repair can be completed in a timely manner. Maytag parts are available locally in our area of southeast Florida.

Date created: 2015-06-17 Name: D. Widner
Location: Anderson, SC

"Do not buy this POS"
I have two of these pieces of crap and after 8 years I have had two coils, capacitors, etc. replaced. They hid the once great Maytag quality under a company called Nordyne, now Nortek Global HVAC. I now know why they changed their name. Must be too many lawsuits. They are crooks. They also changed warranty carriers that do not pay. I want to sue these people. Any lawyers want to do a class action lawsuit?

Date created: 2015-05-29 Name: Scott Eitel
Location: Chico, CA

"Nordyne piece of crap"
I have been involved in the HVAC business since 1974. Of all of the brands I had to deal with, Nordyne is by far the biggest piece of junk across the board that I have ever seen. They don't back their best in the industry warranty. They approve a repair to the contractor and when the bill is submitted they don't pay (14 months and counting). Every other manufacturer provides the warranty parts and we provide the labor. Not Nordung. Because they have no intention of covering the warranty issues, that is a great business plan and profit center. They will probably change the names so they can start over soon.

Date created: 2014-10-13 Name: Charles Hollier
Location: Sugar Land, TX

"Mike from Seattle is kind of right"
I agree with Mike to a point. Poor installation can cause many problems, such as a poor tubing sweat job can leak. Worse, it can cause slag to get into the system, causing the compressor valves to malfunction or get hung up in the expansion valve. These are problems that can be caused by poor installation. The evaporators and the expansion valves usually come in a completely manufactured unit and are installed as such. Manufacturers are using "much" thinner copper to get better cooling from their units. Some are converting to aluminum instead of copper. Many more of the present day home building materials have formaldehyde in them. Also, houses are much more tightly built today. These formaldehyde fumes get onto the wet evaporator coil, causing formic acid which will eat small holes in the evaporators, causing them to leak. What we customers need is for manufacturers to build better units. Engineers today can build anything to last just beyond the guarantee, or 20 to 30 years, like the old days. As for untrained installers, all the manufacturers have to do is say any unit installed by an uncertified installer will not have any warranty. Many of the uncertified installers are hired by the home builders, which is out of the eventual home owners control.