Consumer Reviews of Luxaire central air conditioners

Read more about Luxaire central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-09-07 Name: Terrie Adcock
Location: El Paso, TX

"Never buy a Luxaire, York, Coleman"
This unit might run okay when you first buy it but God help you if it breaks. I am here in Texas in 103 degree heat with an ts compressor control board broken that "unitary product" or Johnson Controls (parent company to all three above) doesn't make anymore. So I am now stuck with a no - good piece of crap. What they did come up with is a 2 contractor 2 relay replacement kit / field re-engineering process, that turns your two stage computer controlled unit into a 1950's one-stage wonder. (you wonder why you would every buy anything made by York, Coleman, Luxaire, or Johnson Controls.

Date created: 2011-07-03 Name: J. HART
Location: YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO

"Model# HDEC-F030AA"
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: HAD FURNACE AND A/C INSTALLED TOGETHER SEPT,1989; BY CARLSON KEMPKO HVAC CONTRACTORS(UNFORTUNATELY NO LONGER IN BUSINESS) IN YOUNGSTOWN OHIO. AM VERY PLEASED WITH SERVICE AS I UNDERSTAND UNITS TODAY DO NOT LAST LONGER THAN 10-15YRS. COIL EVAPORATOR DRAIN PAN IS THE CULPRIT ON EXISTING UNIT. WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD LUXAIRE AND HOPEFULLY CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THAT BRAND. BY THE WAY MY MODEL # WAS NOT SUPPORTED BY PULL DOWN MENU.

Date created: 2011-06-09 Name: terry
Location: atlanta,ga

"Keeping the family cool!"
Well here we are in the middle of a bonafied georgia heatwave. we have been over 90 degrees here for over a month with no rain and little relief in sight. my new a/c is really getting tested and so far she is doing a good job. even when it is 98 degrees outside the unit keeps the inside [email protected] all day long. i just got my electic bill and to my surprise it was 100 bucks less than it was on average last year @ this time and that is with temps running 10 to 15 degrees above normal.my old a/c unit would run all the time and maybe keep the inside temp 12 degrees below the outside temp and then on numerous occasions my electic bill would be well over 250 bucks.other than the previous problem i had with having to add a hard start kit i like the unit. i do think that the install makes all the difference. i had a freind of mine that has his own a/c company install mine and i think he did it right. if you are experiencing problems it more than likely is because of a shoddy install.caveat emptor

Date created: 2011-05-01 Name: Paul M.
Location: Huntington, CT.

"Excellent and efficient units to date"
A tree destroyed a critical part of my 10 year old AC system, so I decided to shop around for an entirely new system. A local installer offered an efficient Luxaire system for nearly HALF the price of the nearest quote from a competitor (also qualified for significant rebates from Fed and state). Since my original Carrier system was 10 years old (and not exactly my favorite), decided to purchase complete AC and furnace together to avoid installing separately a few years apart (< $4,000 after rebates). After 2 years, I could not be more satisfied with the result. My home (single zone) now cools and heats more evenly than ever before (never more than a two degree differential between floors or rooms). The Luxaire blows away my old Carrier unit that came with the house when new. My electric and heatng bills are at least 20% lower now, even after rate increases by the utilities. If you can get yourelf a great installer with a good track record, you will not be disappointed with your Luxaire unit(s). The installer is usually the difference when it comes to problem units over the first coouple of years.

Date created: 2011-04-26 Name: Jade

"UNITS ARE MADE OF DEFECTIVE PARTS"
I purchased a new Luxaire furnace and air conditioner in March2009. In April 2010, I turned my air conditioner on. About a week after I started it, I came home and the unit was not working. The company that installed it sent someone that evening. A compressor had gone out, and the Tech ADMITTED to me that the part was defective, and he was surprised they had installed it, knowing that it was defective. Although it was only 2-3 weeks past the warranty of 1 year, I was still charged for the part as well as the labor. I had other minor problems but fast forward to April 2011. Again I turned the unit on to make sure it was working. It was emitting a high pitch whistle and was not cooling. I turned it off and waited, thinking it had some dust or something. Turned the unit on again on Easter Sunday – and still getting the high pitch sound and little to no cool air. I again called the company that installed it. The technician just left. Why am I complaining? They finally identified the problem. ANOTHER DEFECTIVE PART. They charged me $95 for the service call and they “supposedly” bypassed the defective part. I STILL HAVRE THE HIGH PITCH WHISTLE SOUND AND NO COOL AIR! –This time they want $1100 to replace ANOTHER DEFECTIVE PART! I have no choice but to have them order the part to fix the unit, because I do not have another $8000 for a new AC – the point is LUXAIRE DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS – I KNOW PEOPL WHO HAVE HAD AIR CONDITIONERS LAST FOR 15-20 YEARS WITHOUT PROBLEMS – AND THIS ONE HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS – RUN – DO NOT WALK – TO ANY OTHER COMPANY

Date created: 2011-03-23 Name: terry
Location: atlanta,ga

"Small problem to watch out for."
Well after the initial startup everything was great. then we had a period of coll weather where i did not run the unit. then two days ago i tried to run the unit when the outside air temp was 80 degrees. the compressor would not start?? i found out that with the new 410A systems with the txv that the pressures do not equalize and therefore cause much more torque for startup. the solution was fairly simple we put a hard start kit on the system and it works like a charm now. i found out that most real expensive systems and all trane units come with a hard start kit already installed, but i quess to save money luxaire doesnt put them on @ the factory. so if you buy one of these systems have the installer put you a hard start kit on it and you should be fine!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-03-01 Name: terry

"JUST INSTALLED!!"
Well i just had a new luxaire xl series 2.5 ton 13 seer ac system installed. my intitial review is that i like the unit so far. it seem to be very quiet and cools my house wonderfully. i had a 75k btu 80% gas furnace installed 2 years ago when my 20 year olds furnace heat exchanger rusted out. the furnace as of 2 winters has been trouble free and it works great and saves me money over my old 60% efficient furnace. i will wait until the end of this summer and then i will rate the ac unit again to see if it will be as reliable as the furnace has been. well see in 8 months???????

Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: chase
Location: groves texas

"Leaks! never again !"
Evaporator leaks 3 times control board shorted out from water leaking compresor now! called factory johnson controls and they lie! Im tearing this unit out and buying anything else.

Date created: 2010-07-21 Name: Jason

"Good service"
As I read through all of these reviews for HVAC equipment, I can't help but almost feel bad for all you home owners out there who can't find a dependable, honest and quality service man. I have been in the HVAC/R trade doing service for 12 yrs now and have worked on a lot of different brands. They all use the same hand-full of parts mfg's. There are a few, and just a few brands that are crap but for the most part, it is all the installer/service man that keeps them coming back for service After all, they are just trying to keep their job! I installed a Luxaire packaged system in my home 3yrs ago and think the equipment is great. Well-built and not badly priced either. Hope you all keep looking for the service guys who are out there to take care of the customer. That's always been my motto!

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Don P.

"Happy with Luxair"
11 years and no problems so far. My installer did a good job. If a unit leaks after two years, you can be sure it was the installation. I had a unit (not sure what brand) installed in my previous house and the second year it didn't work. I called the guy who installed it and he came when I wasn't home. He told my wife the refrigerant leaked out, and the hack charged my wife for the service call to refill it. Units don't leak when installed properly.