Consumer Reviews of Lennox central air conditioners

Read more about Lennox central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-08-05 Name: Winston
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Coompletely failed to function after 4 years"
The unit, recommended & installed by Weather Master of Knightdale, North Carolina, completely shut down only after 4 years of service. My previous one by Trane worked for 22 years (1989-2011) without any problems.

Date created: 2015-07-20 Name: Peggy fDykes
Location: Lawton, OK

"It's been a hot weekend in my house!"
We had our unit installed less than 4 years ago. We have maintained preventive maintenance and have enjoyed our cool house until Friday! The company who installed our unit sent a young technician out for a simple filter system change and cleaning of the outside unit. After he left, the unit never worked again! Now I know this may sound like a technician problem, however, we bought our unit because of the Lennox name and reputation for quality. What we are hearing is that they can't find the parts to fix it. In the meantime, we are confined to the bedroom of our home with an upright portable unit. The rest of the house is 86 degrees. We are very unhappy with the lack of service after the sale.

Date created: 2015-07-05 Name: s. Cranston
Location: Newton, KS

"Serial #5169M11254, it's about 20/30 years old, it was well worth whatever they paid for it."
Model # illegible. It's that old good luck finding one that will make it 20/30 years. Keep 3 things in mind: 1. Size matters; 2. Get one that Energy Saver gives your state or city a rebate for saving energy; 3. Take care of the central air unit - change filters often, (1) time a month, clean the compressor and cover it in the winter! A little preventative maintenance will make the unit last well past the warranty!

Date created: 2015-06-10 Name: JERRY
Location: Pearland, TX

"Disappointed homeowner"
We bought our house new about 8 years ago. When I saw that the builder was putting a Lennox AC unit in, I thought I was going to finally get a good unit, since I thought they were supposed to be top notch. Just had a repair guy out last night, which is the 3rd time in eight years, to have it fixed! Years ago the AC units would normally last about at least 15 years or so, now they are crap!

Date created: 2015-05-20 Name: Mike Barton
Location: Houston, TX

"Coil problems"
I built a house in June 2011 and it has 2 Lennox systems covering the home - one 5 ton unit and another 2.5 ton unit. The system was inspected in April 2015 and we were advised that both coils were leaking and would have to be replaced. The technician told us that the coils were copper and that they had had nothing but problems with these coils rusting and leaking. He said that Lennox recognized the problems and had redesigned the coils with aluminum rather than copper. The coils generally have a 5 year warranty so I was covered for the coils but the installation estimates ranged from 1500 to 3000 dollars to install. Unbelievable that an AC system won't last even 4 years.

Date created: 2015-05-01 Location: College Station, Tx

"Impressive AC Unit"
We purchased this air conditioner about one and a half year's ago. Our original AC with the home was not good and only lasted almost 5 years. We have been pleased with the energy savings we have noticed with this new unit. It only operates at 100% capacity on a rare occasion so it is nice and quiet at the lower settings providing cool air for our home. We live in central Texas so the summer time can be pretty hot and humid and this new unit has been amazing. We also have enjoyed the digital thermostat that came with it. It is really easy to use and it is fun to customize with pictures of our family. Our neighbors have commented on how quiet the outside unit is when it is on, especially compared to our previous unit. We have not had to repair this unit yet which is nice. The company that installed it comes out two times a year for free maintenance as well which is a really nice benefit for us.

Date created: 2015-04-06 Name: Robert Fischer
Location: Florida

"Garbage!"
My Lennox a/c unit is five years old. The air handler is in the best possible location, it's in a large closet that is air conditioned. Well, year three the fusible link that should blow when there is an electrical problem, which there wasn't, didn't and it went up in flames, filling two rooms with smoke. The $2.00 link and wiring harness was covered by the warranty, I ate the $400.00 labor charge to install it. This is now year five, 2015. The evaporator coil failed, which is under warranty. Guess who's eating a $600.00 labor charge. I have two units that are serviced twice a year with my maintenance contract, $250.00 to service both units. I've called the Lennox people to complain with no success.

Date created: 2015-02-11 Name: Henk Haitjema
Location: Bloomington, IN

"Lennox Humiditrol unit"
I have owned a Lennox dehumidification system (Humiditrol) since 2009. It is designed to return heat to the home in cooling mode to offer a dehumidification function. First of all, it does not work as promised. Not enough heat is returned, so that the unit lowers the temperature in the home quickly below the thermostat setting and then cuts out. Secondly, the unit costs $1800 and has only one serviceable part which costs under $1400. Of course, that part broke and the installer advised me to leave it broken or buy a completely new unit. I contacted Lennox, but they were not interested in working with me to resolve this issue. Needless to say, I will not purchase any Lennox equipment in the future.

Date created: 2015-01-15 Name: D. Weissguy
Location: Dallas, TX

"It's likely your contractor!"
Read all of these reviews very carefully. There is a common thread that runs amok in all manufacturers' reviews alike - the contractors and the home builders. You should spend a lot more time scrutinizing the contractor that you hire than the brand of equipment you choose. When I read reviews across the web, it is clear that 70% or more of the complaints floating around are directly associated with contractor error(s). If the equipment (any brand) is installed wrong, you are almost guaranteed to have issues with it. Do a search for the contractor's physical address. You'll be alarmed at how many work out of their homes or apartments. Many have few or no employees, let alone inventory and know-how. Do they have worker's compensation insurance? If not, you may be at risk if they got hurt on your property. Good contractors have licenses, insurance, employees, a physical address that is obviously a business and a long standing relationship with a reputable manufacturer. As for home builders, they have one interest - selling houses. Granite, trim, cabinets and hardwoods are their primary interests, because that's what sell homes. The mechanical side (HVAC/Electrical/Plumbing) of the home is typically vomitous and offensive, because the builder left nothing in the budget for that. After all, you can't see it, so just throw it in as cheaply as possible and make it work. Homebuilders budget approximately 50% of what they should for proper hvac in their new homes. Custom homes are typically worse than the track homes. Don't think that just because your home is being built "custom", just for you, that it's going to be right. That's how it is in Texas anyway. With all that being said, I can speak from my own experience with Lennox (20 years personally/50 years where I work). Lennox is a quality company with quality people and quality equipment. For me, the people are the most important part of the equation. Good people deliver good support and customer service and Lennox has always been among the best. As far as failure rates go, we have fewer failures with Lennox that any other brand that we service and we work on all brands. That's largely due to the fact that we installed most or all of the Lennox systems that we service. We actually read the installation instructions (no joking) and get the training necessary to deliver a trouble- free installation. What a difference that makes. I know that sounds silly but it's the absolute truth. Research the contractor, not the brand. If you go with the "low price leader" contractor, I wish you the best of luck. Lennox is a fine company with fine equipment. The same can be said for other manufacturers as well. If your contractor is not up to speed, you and your equipment will suffer.

Date created: 2014-12-25 Name: C. Perez
Location: Leesburg, FL

"Worst unit I have ever purchased"
This is the worst air conditioner I have ever seen on the market. Not even a month after it was installed, the unit started having problems. The service people charged for every visit to do repairs. The guarantee does not exist. After two years of continuous repairs, I need to buy another A/C system. This is unbelievable.