Consumer Reviews of KENMORE central air conditioners

Read more about KENMORE central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-07-06 Name: SVJ
Location: Hilliard, Ohio

"Bad Kenmore product"
We have bought many Sears products. We never will again nor will our family. Don't ever buy a Kenmore product!! We purchased a new Sears Kenmore furnace and central air conditioning unit in 2005. We had a 7 year service plan and in 2012 the last year of the plan, we turned on the air conditioner and it would run a few minutes then switched off. We called the service department and they sent a technician out to service it. We were told we had a freon leak and he refilled it with the freon and stop leak fluid. We were told this should take care of the problem. Should they not have fixed the leak? This year, we turned on the air conditioner and it began to do the same thing. We called the service department and were told that they would give us a $65 credit for the service call and parts were to be covered, and that we would have to pay for labor. The technician came out, walked into the house, walked in the backyard looked at the unit told us it needed freon, it has a leak, the same problem. He did not even turn the unit on. He told us it would be around $200 to fill the unit again. We called back the service department to complain. They told us they only had a 90 day warranty on their work. We questioned as to why the problem was not fixed properly while we were still under warranty. We asked to talk to a manager, we were put in contact with an on duty manager. We were told by her “we can't help what some of our techs do”. Really? Don't they represent your company? We were told we would be receiving a bill for a service call and $65 would not apply and if we did not pay, it would go on our credit report. We asked to speak with someone else and she told us she was as high as we could go. We asked for the corporate address and phone number. She gave the address but refused to give us a phone number. Our first central air conditioner lasted for 18 years, this Kenmore product lasted for 7 years!!!!! The reason we went with Kenmore was because we were told it was a high quality product. We decided to pay the extra money and get the Kenmore product. Paid top dollar, that was the mistake.

Date created: 2012-07-03 Name: H. Knippscheer
Location: Baldwin, NY

"Rip-off"
May 2007, my wife became very ill. We quickly needed a 2-zone central cooling system installed. In the rush we choose and trusted in Sears. We paid a hefty $26,000 for it. Four years later, zone 1 (with the air- handler unit in the attic) needed a refrigerant refill. Dye and sealer was added, but we were not told to have the system repaired once the weather cooled down. Exactly one month after the 5 year warranty run out, the same zone started to blow warm air again. Sears repair came, filled the zone up with 2 lbs of a-410, added dye/sealer, spend 1/2 hour on labor, refused to check for the leak, and charged $304 for the efforts. Any negotiation with Sears was impossible. Please think twice before having a central A/C cooling system installed and repaired by Sears! You will be ripped off!

Date created: 2012-06-28 Name: Cheryl
Location: Neptune, NJ

"I WILL NEVER USE SEARS FOR ANYTHING EVER"
I have Sears install my A/C in 2003 and I have had it! Sears is nothing but a joke. Every contractor since Sears has told me to ripe it out and start fresh. My A/C was installed in October. We turned it on in April 2004 for the 1st time and I immediately told them something was wrong. They had been in and out of my house telling me everything is okay and that there is a differential from inside to outside that is anywhere from 10- 15 degrees. Are you kidding me!!! I am so tired. I had contact Better Business Bureau with no response. No, I am having my lawyer write a letter. I am going to sue Sears!! They have a 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back. I want my money back. It is going to cost me $13,500 to fix the abortion!

Date created: 2012-05-23 Name: Nikko K.
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"The Worst"
Buy Sears if you want to replace your Central ac unit before 5 years. It was efficient alright but a piece of junk through and through! The Air handler inside always leaked water. I let the annual rip off maintenance go this year ($700 per year) because within five years I could almost purchase a new central ac. With in two months, The coils corroded in the air handler and is essentially un-repairable. Dump Sears, most of the stores are closing anyway and (Sears) will disappear with in 5 years. I am replacing the central a/c with another vendor and brand.

Date created: 2012-04-18 Name: Z. Migel
Location: Alexandria, VA

"Worst Unit Ever"
Kenmore is a joke. I have had this system repaired 11 times in the last 5 years. I bought a new system from Goodman/Amana and have not had an issue in the past 2 years, finally.

Date created: 2012-03-25 Name: Ben Hernandez
Location: Midland, Texas

"Sucky Service, Project Coordinator"
The unit would be okay if the contractors that Sears hire would take pride in their work. The first contractors that came out were messy and dumb. When they first installed, a month went by and then it stopped cooling. They came out and repaired their sorry weld job. When the weather changed, the heater did not work so I personally called the contractors back and the crew chief said he does know why it was not working, so the "project coordinator" sends someone else. Now the new contractor comes out and kicks butt in five minutes. Now the unit won't cool again. I called the project coordinator not to send the first guys but send the second back out which he took his time but did. Well they found that the coil is the problem, has leaked out from the new coil that was poorly installed from the first contractors. Since I have a warranty I called the project coordinator which he never returned my phone calls till this day. "What service- Huh?!!!" After numourus calls to the service center I am finally getting the service my family deserves from the second set of contractors. The West Texas coordinator for Sears really stinks and probably is dealing with some kind of issues. I wish that Sears had their own people to do the service and warranty work instead of hiring contractors, cause you never know what your going to get.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: Houston TX

" A Cooling System With A Great Price That Feels Nice"
I have owned my air condition system for about 6 months now. I lived in an apartment a year ago an my energy cost were very high because of the cooling system I had before. Also one of the benefits that I really love is that it comes with a remote control. Which you are able to control the 3 speeds of air. This product is also made with a antibacterial mesh which filers the air. My son has asthma and this helps filter out any airborne particles which helps to make his breathing more controllable and comfortable There is nothing that I dislike about the system I have not had any problems since I purchased it . I would recommend this product to anyone that wants a cooling system that offers these benefits. This is one of the best energy star air conditioning systems on the market at a great price.

Date created: 2011-03-28 Location: Valdosta, Ga

"Pleased and Comfortable in the South"
I have lived in my home for 13 years now. Almost immediately upon moving in, I had the Kenmore unit installed and have had it ever since. It suffices very well for me, especially considering how warm it gets down here in Southern Georgia. I have only had maintenance performed on it maybe twice in its 13 year life span and those repairs were simply things that come with owning a unit (freon replacement and such). The only thing that I might want to be different is that it tends to be quite loud when your standing outside next to it. Louder than most. But I suppose that is a trivial complaint considering the great performance I have gotten out of it. When the time comes for me to replace her, her replacement will surely be one of the same. Anybody who reads this is encouraged to go with the Kenmore name.