Consumer Reviews of KENMORE central air conditioners

Read more about KENMORE central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-06-19 Name: Pat
Location: Seattle, WA

"Central air"
Don't do it with Sears! They are very unprofessional. They came to my house and gave me all the information and we agreed on something. They will make you sign everything electronically and then say they will send it to your email. Guess what, you will never receive any info from them, and the contract you sign electronically is totally different from the things they told you. So don't sign anything if you are not able to see what the contract says. Never, ever will I call Sears for anything in my life!

Date created: 2015-04-18 Name: Ron
Location: Seffner, FL

"Think again!"
It's a general fact that the majority of reviews come only from dissatisfied customers, they only add reviews when there's a problem and generally these same folks will never make a peep when things work grand. Having been a service tech, then a service manager and finally working my way up to the position as a professor in my career of electronics, I do both because I know what it's like to have done a great job and never receive a pat on the shoulder but get reamed out for the slightest of errors. Having said that, I purchased my Sears heat pump unit in 12/1995; with today's date of 4/2015, that makes both my heat pump and blower just shy of 20 years old! I wonder, is there another single manufacturer listed here that can make that statement? I am only replacing it now because a power surge from my local electric company caused a wire to arc across a small copper pipe that was connected to an expansion valve which resulted in a complete loss of Freon. The repair would entail vacuuming out the system, replacing the valve and recharging the entire system, which would come out to a repair bill of an easy $800.00. So I'm upgrading to a newer, more efficient system with a SEER of 4 points higher. I wonder, even though I'm buying another brand with a rating much higher than my Sears unit listed here, if I'll get 20 years out of it?

Date created: 2015-04-15 Name: P. Walters
Location: Frederick, MD

"Awesome"
Bought a new Kenmore a/c last year when my furnace was bad. I went with the Kenmore Elite Series 21 seer a/c and new furnace. I bought it because my utility company had huge rebates going on at the time. No other company mentioned to me about the rebate program. All they said was how bad Sears is and you should not buy from them. With the rebates the system was cheaper then a 16 seer unit. The sales person was great and explained all the benefits to me and my wife. We have been long time Sears customers with no issues. I was insulted that other companies would bad mouth them so much. I think that it makes them look worse. Anyway, the installers were awesome and explained to me how to use the new system and even the thermostat which was a Wi-Fi unit. This system does everything that Sears said it would. I also found out that it's the same as a Carrier Infinity system. I called and checked with Carrier and they said it was the same as a Carrier, Bryant system. My bill has gone down by at least 20 this winter. Can't wait to see the savings on the a/C. I would recommend Sears to all my friends. Which one did purchase one last week. From start to finish I give Sears a grade a+.

Date created: 2014-06-10 Name: L.A.Mercer
Location: Ottawa Canada

"Kenmore air conditioner Freon leak"
Freon Leak in 2012. Freon Leak in 2014. Unit is only eight (8) years old (2006).

Date created: 2014-04-17 Name: Steve
Location: Plano, TX

"Sold me a lemon"
I spend $15k on a two new Kenmore systems for my house in 2011. We have upstairs (3 ton) and a downstairs (5 ton) systems. I knew I was paying more than I should have at the time, but we had just bought the house, were broke, and were not expecting the existing ac to fail so soon. Sears were doing an 18-month interest free credit deal, and they had the whole thing installed within a few days of us signing-up. So, it all made sense at the time. Here we are 3 years later and the big unit wasn't cooling. Fan was running, but the compressor wasn't kicking on. As I have a 5-year warranty I called Sears to come take a look. I was told it would cost me $69 just to have the tech show up. I thought that was ridiculous, but not the end of the world. So, he show's up. Very knowledgeable, and knew a lot about ac and the components I have. He proceeded to tell me that my refrigerant levels were low, and that I must have a leak somewhere. He told me he suspected that it would be in the evaporator coil, as that happens all the time with the model I have. Great I said, go take a look. Ok he said, that will cost an additional $220. Say what now? $220 to go find the leak, even though he pretty much knows where it is already. He then proceeds to tell me that if the coil is leaking, he will need to replace it, and that will likely run me $1,000 in labor. Only the part is covered under the warranty. Eh? I did explain to him that if he charges me $1,000 to fix something his company installed not 3 years before I'll never buy a single thing from Sears again. He understood and gave me the standard 'should have taken the extended warranty plan' bull. I kindly explained to him that really doesn't help me now does it, and he offered me the help desk number. I told him to keep it. Clearly he has had this discussion with customers many many times. Bottom line, they sold me an overpriced unit 3 years ago then charged me $1,000 to fix it. I've looked into it and it turns out the coil is made by Carrier, and they redesigned the 2011 model due to leak issues. They stopped making the unit with copper components and now use aluminum. So, they realized the unit is a pos, completely redesigned it, yet somehow it still ends up costing me $1,000 to replace it. Hosed much? Thanks Sears, I'll never buy a single item from you ever again. Go f yourselves.

Date created: 2013-10-30 Name: V Harris
Location: Gastonia, NC

"Don't Buy Kenmore Heating and Cooling"
I'm a widow feeling like I have been taking advanced of brought heating and cooling 05/05/11, no heat on 10/20/13. Two years. Kenmore heating and cooling unit from Sears, I cut my heat on 10/20/13 and my son told me he smelled gas. I called my gas company and he cut my gas off and told me to call who put my unit in, because the gas was shoot out and not going into the line to the house. Called Sears on 10/20/13 and also talk to them about a water tank. Sears showed up on 10/30/13 9:15AM. At 10:45AM, he showed me a paper explaining if it this it will cost $200.00 and something but if it this it will cost, don't remember the price. But the last choice was, if it the board it will cost $800.00. Now, he'd been here for over an hour and couldn't tell me exactly what the problem was and he look at me like I was to pick one for him to fix. He supposed to get back with me in two days after he checked my warranty to see if it's cover. I called Sears and they told me I only had a two-year contact warranty and it ended in May 2013, and I will have to pay the technician to get it fixed. I will not buy anything us from Sears or let them fix anything of mines. So of course, I cancelled the water heater I ordered from Sears. Don't trust anything from them. He didn't even leave the paper he wrote up with his quotes but, I had to pay him $69.00. Didn't ask him for the paper because I was fed up plus I had another company here talking to me about my water heater. They will but in tomorrow. Thanks Sears, I still have no heat.

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Chet Tata
Location: Garland, TX

"Bad Coil"
I purchased this unit in February 2013 and had to replace the coil in August 2013.

Date created: 2013-08-15 Name: Sonia Robinson
Location: Tampa, FL

"Should Have Read The Reviews First"
I like many who wrote reviews. I am so disappointed in Sears and their Kenmore products. Invested a lot of money to discover the only part covered by warranty is the compressor (Aug 06) purchase. The fan has gone out twice, the most expensive part $852.00 not including labor. Never again, I would rather have the entire system removed than invest $1000.00 into it again. If any other product can work with it, I may keep the condenser. Bad investment.

Date created: 2013-07-15 Name: C GASOW
Location: Minnesota

"Never Ever Deal With Sears"
We had a central air unit installed in 2010. It has been nothing more than a nightmare. Sears does not stand behind their products all they want you to do is buy the dang extended warranty that does not cover crap. Our central air went out 3 years after we made the purchase. Called for service, could not get a repair man until 3 weeks and the weather right now is 95 with 70% humidity, so we called a local dealer to come. He told us, our unit was not installed correctly and our coil had also gone out. Said he could have it fixed in a few days, but Sears will not allow someone else to touch the unit because the factory warranty would be void. But it stated in our warranty we could choose any HVAC, so back on the phone to Sears still unable to get it repaired for another 2 weeks. So please please, if considering a Kenmore product, do not go that route. The salesman makes it look all rosey but you will definitely get nothing but thorns. Sears products do not stand up!!!!!

Date created: 2013-07-10 Name: Ronald Lovato
Location: Albuquerque, NM

"Kenmore"
I had the A/C installed about 5-6 years ago, and it has cost me hundred of dollars just to keep it working at less than 30% level. Today I had out that ice had developed for the third time. We only use the unit with a setting of 70 degrees. We had to service with freon in the past and the service person has said we need to do it again. Heater portion acceptable. """WOULD NOT RECOMMEND***