Consumer Reviews of KENMORE central air conditioners

Read more about KENMORE central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-07-27 Name: wont buy again

"Warranty book states service covered when it's not"
Sad when you buy an air conditioner with a 5-year warranty for a sealed refrigerant unit. The book states 'will repair free of charge' then when you call Sears they tell you a service call for $109.00 and parts are free. This is why there are so many class action lawsuits, just waiting for the lawyers to get ahold of this one.

Date created: 2015-04-15 Name: P. Walters
Location: Frederick, MD

"Awesome"
Bought a new Kenmore a/c last year when my furnace was bad. I went with the Kenmore Elite Series 21 seer a/c and new furnace. I bought it because my utility company had huge rebates going on at the time. No other company mentioned to me about the rebate program. All they said was how bad Sears is and you should not buy from them. With the rebates the system was cheaper then a 16 seer unit. The sales person was great and explained all the benefits to me and my wife. We have been long time Sears customers with no issues. I was insulted that other companies would bad mouth them so much. I think that it makes them look worse. Anyway, the installers were awesome and explained to me how to use the new system and even the thermostat which was a Wi-Fi unit. This system does everything that Sears said it would. I also found out that it's the same as a Carrier Infinity system. I called and checked with Carrier and they said it was the same as a Carrier, Bryant system. My bill has gone down by at least 20 this winter. Can't wait to see the savings on the a/C. I would recommend Sears to all my friends. Which one did purchase one last week. From start to finish I give Sears a grade a+.

Date created: 2014-06-10 Name: L.A.Mercer
Location: Ottawa Canada

"Kenmore air conditioner Freon leak"
Freon Leak in 2012. Freon Leak in 2014. Unit is only eight (8) years old (2006).

Date created: 2014-04-17 Name: Steve
Location: Plano, TX

"Sold me a lemon"
I spend $15k on a two new Kenmore systems for my house in 2011. We have upstairs (3 ton) and a downstairs (5 ton) systems. I knew I was paying more than I should have at the time, but we had just bought the house, were broke, and were not expecting the existing ac to fail so soon. Sears were doing an 18-month interest free credit deal, and they had the whole thing installed within a few days of us signing-up. So, it all made sense at the time. Here we are 3 years later and the big unit wasn't cooling. Fan was running, but the compressor wasn't kicking on. As I have a 5-year warranty I called Sears to come take a look. I was told it would cost me $69 just to have the tech show up. I thought that was ridiculous, but not the end of the world. So, he show's up. Very knowledgeable, and knew a lot about ac and the components I have. He proceeded to tell me that my refrigerant levels were low, and that I must have a leak somewhere. He told me he suspected that it would be in the evaporator coil, as that happens all the time with the model I have. Great I said, go take a look. Ok he said, that will cost an additional $220. Say what now? $220 to go find the leak, even though he pretty much knows where it is already. He then proceeds to tell me that if the coil is leaking, he will need to replace it, and that will likely run me $1,000 in labor. Only the part is covered under the warranty. Eh? I did explain to him that if he charges me $1,000 to fix something his company installed not 3 years before I'll never buy a single thing from Sears again. He understood and gave me the standard 'should have taken the extended warranty plan' bull. I kindly explained to him that really doesn't help me now does it, and he offered me the help desk number. I told him to keep it. Clearly he has had this discussion with customers many many times. Bottom line, they sold me an overpriced unit 3 years ago then charged me $1,000 to fix it. I've looked into it and it turns out the coil is made by Carrier, and they redesigned the 2011 model due to leak issues. They stopped making the unit with copper components and now use aluminum. So, they realized the unit is a pos, completely redesigned it, yet somehow it still ends up costing me $1,000 to replace it. Hosed much? Thanks Sears, I'll never buy a single item from you ever again. Go f yourselves.

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Chet Tata
Location: Garland, TX

"Bad Coil"
I purchased this unit in February 2013 and had to replace the coil in August 2013.

Date created: 2013-07-15 Name: C GASOW
Location: Minnesota

"Never Ever Deal With Sears"
We had a central air unit installed in 2010. It has been nothing more than a nightmare. Sears does not stand behind their products all they want you to do is buy the dang extended warranty that does not cover crap. Our central air went out 3 years after we made the purchase. Called for service, could not get a repair man until 3 weeks and the weather right now is 95 with 70% humidity, so we called a local dealer to come. He told us, our unit was not installed correctly and our coil had also gone out. Said he could have it fixed in a few days, but Sears will not allow someone else to touch the unit because the factory warranty would be void. But it stated in our warranty we could choose any HVAC, so back on the phone to Sears still unable to get it repaired for another 2 weeks. So please please, if considering a Kenmore product, do not go that route. The salesman makes it look all rosey but you will definitely get nothing but thorns. Sears products do not stand up!!!!!

Date created: 2012-04-18 Name: Z. Migel
Location: Alexandria, VA

"Worst Unit Ever"
Kenmore is a joke. I have had this system repaired 11 times in the last 5 years. I bought a new system from Goodman/Amana and have not had an issue in the past 2 years, finally.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: Houston TX

" A Cooling System With A Great Price That Feels Nice"
I have owned my air condition system for about 6 months now. I lived in an apartment a year ago an my energy cost were very high because of the cooling system I had before. Also one of the benefits that I really love is that it comes with a remote control. Which you are able to control the 3 speeds of air. This product is also made with a antibacterial mesh which filers the air. My son has asthma and this helps filter out any airborne particles which helps to make his breathing more controllable and comfortable There is nothing that I dislike about the system I have not had any problems since I purchased it . I would recommend this product to anyone that wants a cooling system that offers these benefits. This is one of the best energy star air conditioning systems on the market at a great price.

Date created: 2011-03-28 Location: Valdosta, Ga

"Pleased and Comfortable in the South"
I have lived in my home for 13 years now. Almost immediately upon moving in, I had the Kenmore unit installed and have had it ever since. It suffices very well for me, especially considering how warm it gets down here in Southern Georgia. I have only had maintenance performed on it maybe twice in its 13 year life span and those repairs were simply things that come with owning a unit (freon replacement and such). The only thing that I might want to be different is that it tends to be quite loud when your standing outside next to it. Louder than most. But I suppose that is a trivial complaint considering the great performance I have gotten out of it. When the time comes for me to replace her, her replacement will surely be one of the same. Anybody who reads this is encouraged to go with the Kenmore name.