Consumer Reviews of KENMORE central air conditioners

Read more about KENMORE central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-04-20 Name: Dan Miller
Location: Naperville, IL

"Excellent basic central air unit"
Bought this in spring 2002 as furnace/AC unit to replace an old Lennox. It's now spring 2016 and the AC unit has never required any service. Once or twice a year I use a broom to clear off the cottonwood seeds that collect on the outside unit and that's all it seems to ever need, it just runs. It kept the house very cool when it was over 100 degrees out. This has been a great unit for us.

Date created: 2016-04-08 Location: West palm Beach, fl

"The best air conditioning unit that you could buy plus its very affordable to buy."
I have had this unit for 4 years now. Since i bought it I have never had a problem with it. It keeps my home very cool especially over the hot summer. I would recommend this unit to everyone. I have never had to fix it or repair it. I just make sure I keep it well maintained. The only thing I don't like is that I wish it was bigger.

Date created: 2015-11-02 Location: Orlando, Florida

"We LOVE our Kenmore Central Air Conditioner!!"
We love our Kenmore central air conditioning unit with heat pump and located outside. We have had our unit for several years now. We read a lot of reviews before deciding on this model. Kenmore has an excellent reputation. Since we purchased our unit we have not run into any major repairs. The thermostat is very responsible, and the unit seems to use electricity very efficiently. We did replace the air filter on 2 separate occasions but that was to be expected. We purchased our system directly from Sears, and we found them to be very helpful and the salesman had a lot of good information to share. We live in a two story home located in Florida and before we had this new model installed we really could not afford the electric bills we received. This unit does such a better job of cooling the house. We would recommend this unit to everyone, and we would positively purchase a Kenmore again.

Date created: 2015-09-23 Location: Pittsburg, PA

"Wow factor with new Kenmore unit"
We have had this central air conditioning unit for about a year now and no problems have occurred. We have only had to replace the air filter and that's it! I am so very pleased with the way this air conditioner has turned out and saved us money in the long run instead of using an air conditioner in every room on full blast. I would recommend this brand for anyone with a home that is hard on energy and hard to cool in the summer months. When you turn the air unit on it's amazing how fast it cools down and is noticeably greater than anything I have ever tried before, ever.

Date created: 2015-07-27 Name: wont buy again

"Warranty book states service covered when it's not"
Sad when you buy an air conditioner with a 5-year warranty for a sealed refrigerant unit. The book states 'will repair free of charge' then when you call Sears they tell you a service call for $109.00 and parts are free. This is why there are so many class action lawsuits, just waiting for the lawyers to get ahold of this one.

Date created: 2015-04-15 Name: P. Walters
Location: Frederick, MD

"Awesome"
Bought a new Kenmore a/c last year when my furnace was bad. I went with the Kenmore Elite Series 21 seer a/c and new furnace. I bought it because my utility company had huge rebates going on at the time. No other company mentioned to me about the rebate program. All they said was how bad Sears is and you should not buy from them. With the rebates the system was cheaper then a 16 seer unit. The sales person was great and explained all the benefits to me and my wife. We have been long time Sears customers with no issues. I was insulted that other companies would bad mouth them so much. I think that it makes them look worse. Anyway, the installers were awesome and explained to me how to use the new system and even the thermostat which was a Wi-Fi unit. This system does everything that Sears said it would. I also found out that it's the same as a Carrier Infinity system. I called and checked with Carrier and they said it was the same as a Carrier, Bryant system. My bill has gone down by at least 20 this winter. Can't wait to see the savings on the a/C. I would recommend Sears to all my friends. Which one did purchase one last week. From start to finish I give Sears a grade a+.

Date created: 2014-06-10 Name: L.A.Mercer
Location: Ottawa Canada

"Kenmore air conditioner Freon leak"
Freon Leak in 2012. Freon Leak in 2014. Unit is only eight (8) years old (2006).

Date created: 2014-04-17 Name: Steve
Location: Plano, TX

"Sold me a lemon"
I spend $15k on a two new Kenmore systems for my house in 2011. We have upstairs (3 ton) and a downstairs (5 ton) systems. I knew I was paying more than I should have at the time, but we had just bought the house, were broke, and were not expecting the existing ac to fail so soon. Sears were doing an 18-month interest free credit deal, and they had the whole thing installed within a few days of us signing-up. So, it all made sense at the time. Here we are 3 years later and the big unit wasn't cooling. Fan was running, but the compressor wasn't kicking on. As I have a 5-year warranty I called Sears to come take a look. I was told it would cost me $69 just to have the tech show up. I thought that was ridiculous, but not the end of the world. So, he show's up. Very knowledgeable, and knew a lot about ac and the components I have. He proceeded to tell me that my refrigerant levels were low, and that I must have a leak somewhere. He told me he suspected that it would be in the evaporator coil, as that happens all the time with the model I have. Great I said, go take a look. Ok he said, that will cost an additional $220. Say what now? $220 to go find the leak, even though he pretty much knows where it is already. He then proceeds to tell me that if the coil is leaking, he will need to replace it, and that will likely run me $1,000 in labor. Only the part is covered under the warranty. Eh? I did explain to him that if he charges me $1,000 to fix something his company installed not 3 years before I'll never buy a single thing from Sears again. He understood and gave me the standard 'should have taken the extended warranty plan' bull. I kindly explained to him that really doesn't help me now does it, and he offered me the help desk number. I told him to keep it. Clearly he has had this discussion with customers many many times. Bottom line, they sold me an overpriced unit 3 years ago then charged me $1,000 to fix it. I've looked into it and it turns out the coil is made by Carrier, and they redesigned the 2011 model due to leak issues. They stopped making the unit with copper components and now use aluminum. So, they realized the unit is a pos, completely redesigned it, yet somehow it still ends up costing me $1,000 to replace it. Hosed much? Thanks Sears, I'll never buy a single item from you ever again. Go f yourselves.

Date created: 2013-09-08 Name: Chet Tata
Location: Garland, TX

"Bad Coil"
I purchased this unit in February 2013 and had to replace the coil in August 2013.

Date created: 2013-07-15 Name: C GASOW
Location: Minnesota

"Never Ever Deal With Sears"
We had a central air unit installed in 2010. It has been nothing more than a nightmare. Sears does not stand behind their products all they want you to do is buy the dang extended warranty that does not cover crap. Our central air went out 3 years after we made the purchase. Called for service, could not get a repair man until 3 weeks and the weather right now is 95 with 70% humidity, so we called a local dealer to come. He told us, our unit was not installed correctly and our coil had also gone out. Said he could have it fixed in a few days, but Sears will not allow someone else to touch the unit because the factory warranty would be void. But it stated in our warranty we could choose any HVAC, so back on the phone to Sears still unable to get it repaired for another 2 weeks. So please please, if considering a Kenmore product, do not go that route. The salesman makes it look all rosey but you will definitely get nothing but thorns. Sears products do not stand up!!!!!