Consumer Reviews of INTERTHERM central air conditioners

Read more about INTERTHERM central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-08-24 Name: Toni Brown
Location: Louisburg, NC

"Want another one"
My home had an Intertherm 3 1/2 ton 12 SEER HVAC split system installed brand new in 1999 when it was built. I have been overly happy with it. Even though it is not efficient anymore it still works. The only issue I've had is that the coil now has a slow leak so it's time to replace it. I think I got more than my money's worth out of it. Great product still running after 17 years. I am looking into getting another to replace it. Great job Intertherm!

Date created: 2015-03-25 Name: Bob Buckner
Location: Hephzibah, GA

"Intertherm A/C"
This a/c unit came with my Fleetwood manufactured home in 1991. Around 2002 I replaced the inside coil because of rust in the pan which leaked on my fuse panel (also replaced). Now you can just buy replacement pans. I've replaced the condenser fan motor a couple of times with generic motors, and replaced a compressor relay that was damaged by lightning. I recently thought my compressor was finally gone but it was again a fan problem. I don't think I can truthfully say anything bad about an a/c that has run continuously for nearly 23 years. I just hope that when it finally dies I can get another just like it (14 seer of course).

Date created: 2015-02-09 Name: Lori Lepow
Location: Weirsdale, FL

"Nothing but trouble - don't buy one."
We have had an Intertherm in our house since it was new 8 years ago. We have had nothing but issues with the unit, resulting in at least one repair a year and well over $2000, not including the compressor, which we need to replace this year as it is no longer working. We will have almost $4000 into an 8-year-old a/c unit by this summer. We live in a nice house, built by a reputable builder, so we are confident that the issue is with the a/c unit and not anything related to installation or structure. Warning...don't do it!

Date created: 2014-05-28 Name: J.Frazier
Location: Waxhaw N.C.

"Intertherm Split System"
We had our Intertherm split system installed when we had our modular home set up in 1993 and honestly never had our ac unit serviced and it just gave out last week and just a couple minor repairs to the furnace and it is still going strong!!I Would say Intertherm makes a very good product!

Date created: 2013-04-30 Name: Maxwell Morgan
Location: Batesville, MS

"Great Unit"
My central air conditioner and gas furnace was installed in 1998 with 6 year parts and labor warranty. Only problem was a recall on the ignitor on the furnace, otherwise no problems!

Date created: 2012-11-05 Name: Carole Bray
Location: Orlando, FL

"Fan Motor caught fire"
We just purchased our home in March 2011, although the a/c unit wasn't new we expected it to last more than 1 1/2 years. My husband was home about a week ago and just stepped out of the shower to realize the house was filled with smoke, he and the animals made it outside, however, after the fire department was called it was determined it was the fan motor on the a/c unit which caught on fire. It could have been very serious as my bedroom is just on the other side of the wall from the a/c unit and if this had happened while we were sleeping we would have probably been killed from smoke inhalation.

Date created: 2012-10-31 Name: Monica
Location: Seguin, TX

"Piece of Crap"
I have only had the unit for a little over 4 years. The stupid regulator that was put on for "efficiency" malfunctioned and caused my coil to get a leak. The warranty on these units suck. One year for only compressor and coil. Really! Have and extended warranty that doesn't cover much more. These units according to the two ac Techs I have spoken with are a joke. They cant even believe the the compressor and coils only have a one year warranty where as others have five or ten on their products. That alone goes to show Intertherm doesn't believe on the longetivity to their own product.

Date created: 2012-06-14 Name: K Smout
Location: DFW, Texas

"Intertherm a/c and heaters are trash"
The a coil is on top of the squirrel cage and wiring and leaks water from the pan all over the wiring and shorts it out and has caught on fire and everything and is dangerous and useless. Why would anyone design water above electrical wiring is beyond me. They must be retarded.

Date created: 2011-08-21 Name: J. Smith
Location: Charlotte, NC

"2.5 ton Intertherm split unit heat pump"
2.5 ton Intertherm split unit heat pump for $1645 installed including a coil and plumbing. December of 1999 I bought the unit directly from the local contractor. The buying and installation experience were poor. I was able to get an ex-Intertherm dealer to come out and repair a leaky condenser coil while under warranty, if I paid him directly. Norodyne reimbursed me. Unit was problem free, save for the indicator lights on the indoor thermostat unit which rarely lit correctly showing the heating mode. Bought a home services contract through my bank in 2005; extremely poor experience with the single claim filed last week - dropped plan yesterday. Another repairman came out (not home services company this time!) and stated the accumulator had rusted through, hence the freon leak- home services contract doesn't cover 'rusting'. A shame the accumulator rusted out after 11 years. Have put in a request for parts availability and price from the local Norodyne distributor. The repairman (allmakes?!?) stated an accumulator by itself would be $1500 installed? I don't see how considering how much I paid for the entire unit. Baking here in The South at the moment with nothing but ceiling fans and box fans!

Date created: 2011-05-04 Location: Newton, AL

"Central Air Conditioning is a Dream Come True"
Our Intertherm central air conditioning unit, model brco0421bd is a dream come true. Intertherm is made by the Nordyne Group, and even though this product shows some unsatisfactory online reviews, this has not been our finding. This unit was installed in February 1999, and has been going strong ever since. That is over twelve years of excellent service, and it shows no sign of slowing down any time soon. We have had no repairs to this unit, but have performed basic maintenance such as dusting the unit and vents, and changing the filter often. Because of the very warm climate in South Alabama, our air conditioner runs almost non-stop from March through October, and often at other times when Falls and Winters are unseasonably warm. Our power bills are always reasonably priced as well, so this is a very efficient unit. We would gladly recommend this Intertherm air conditioning unit to everyone due to it's dependability and efficiency.