Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-07-16 Name: Dawn Corcino

"JUNK"
My house is less than 3 years old and had one service call in the first year as unit would not work. Less than 2 years later, it will not turn on at all. This came with the house...I know what brand I will not use to replace the unit.... Heil

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Melinda Brown

"Absolutely JUNK"
I bought a vacation home that has a Heil central a/c unit installed about 8 years ago. The unit has never worked properly. Out of the 5 years I've owned the house, I have only had 1 summer where I haven't had issues. I've replaced the compressor (under warranty) once, the fan motor twice, and other assorted parts. I am not installing a brand new unit and it will not be Heil. I've never owned such a piece of junk in my life as a homeowner......absolutely junk. Let the buyer beware....do not buy this product.

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Julie G.

"Cool & Happy. Fix, Don't Replace!"
I appreciate this site and the people who have shared their experiences. I don't know if newer models are as good as my Heil 2.5 ton CA5030QKB a/c which worked fine for 18 years. The only service calls were year 1 & 2 because of freon leakage and loose insulation (which thanks to your postings, I know was an installation problem not with the Heil). Being a woman, I feel more vulnerable to be taken advantage of. I was worried if I called someone who sells new ones they would say mine couldn't be fixed or that it would cost way too much. So, I called the local tech school and left a message for the hvac instructor to refer me to someone trustworthy. He called back and gave me four places. I chose Foremen Heating & Ventilating in Green Bay. When I talked to the owner, Dennis, he assured me that usually A/Cs can be fixed. a serviceman was at my house in less than an hour and in one hour he had it fixed! It turned out that mice had made a nest in the control box and chewed up some of the wires, which he said happens often. He spliced the bad wires and replaced a control box they had ruined and the Heil started up right away!! Also a good place to check out a company is The Better Business Bureau website. Foremen was rated a+ ! Good luck and stay cool.

Date created: 2010-06-24 Name: Karen Roberts

"Heil Sucks"
My home came with a Heil unit. I know now they must be bottom of the heap. Air quit working, so I called a tech. Tech put the fan in too tight and it cracked the lid on the outside unit. Since Heil didn't make my unit "long enough for them to break", I can't get the part and must replace the whole unit. I won't be buying from Heil, for sure.

Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: The Binghams
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Heil Evaportor Coil Failed After 2 Summers"
We live in Buffalo, NY, and as a result, our ac is used relatively little. We purchased our Heil unit with r410a refrigerent in July 07, and discovered it had "rotted out" when we went to use it this spring. It's indoor evaporator coil is already shot, and the estimate is several hundreds of dollars to replace it, on top of the fee for the service call. Only parts are covered after one year, and Heil, who have been painful to deal with and have added insult to injury with their manner, assumes no responsibility for the fact that they sold us crap. We will never purchase anything Heil made again!

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Tom and Donna Bingham
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Heil Central AC is Complete Crap!"
First off, let me say that we live in Buffalo, NY, meaning that when we even use our central air, it isn't for long or stressed in ways like it might be in the South! We had our Heil installed in July, 07, and when we went to turn it on this spring, discovered that the coil had "rotted to the core" (ie: rusted out completely and leaked out all its r410a refrigerant). We have had to pay nearly $100 for the service call to diagnose it, and expect to pay over $400 more for replacement as the labor is not covered. Only the parts are (for five years) ...but given what I am now reading about this product, worry that we will continue to experience difficulties with their product. Also, it should be noted that our local installer is giving us a significant discount to replace this part, or it would be nearly twice the price. Also, any attempts we made to discuss this matter directly with Heil and see if they would back up their faulty product by extending our warranty for labor or covering this repair cost, was met with frustration and futility. Their main rep. was like talking to a broken record, and clearly has been well versed in the ways of explaining away any fault or liability and in adding further frustration to customers who are realizing that they have been sold a load of crap, literally and figuratively!!

Date created: 2010-05-27 Name: Hot and Angry

"Designed to break after warranty ends"
I purchased 2 Heil central air conditioning units for my new house. At the time, Heil offered only a 5 year warranty. Now, they offer 10 year warranties---obviously a lot of people had problems after 5 years. At 6 years, one of the units stopped cooling and despite having their dealer technicians come to recharge, add Freon, and spray sealant for an evaporator coil leak, the unit is still not working. Now the second unit stopped working. I called and e-mailed Heil customer service and they basically said, "tough luck---it's off warranty." So that's $10,000+ down the drain. Now I have to replace these Heil pieces of junk.

Date created: 2010-03-25 Name: Dylan

"Do not buy"
We moved into a brand new house about 1 and a half years ago. We have had the repair man out 4 times so far. Every time we switch from heat to air something new breaks. This is a piece of crap.

Date created: 2010-01-27 Name: Vasnu Yu

"Heil 2 1/2 ton S/C split w/gas furnace"
My Heil split has worked for over 35 years. Huge wedge cond. unit with a coil over gas furnace. I replaced the compressor twice, the cond. fan 3 times myself. Have to replace the system this month, the fan limit is shot, and it is over 35 yrs old. The evap coil main pan is so thin. It still drains, but I clean it out with a chopstick to avoid puncturing it. Nothing but praise for this old unit. They built them to last back then. My service tech buds can't believe it's still running. But being so old, the elect. bills are over $300 in the summer.

Date created: 2009-09-27 Name: jeff standridge

"Unit is 4 ton gas package"
Coil went out repairman said I could buy a new rheem before putting money in a heil unit because they are junk.