Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Tom and Donna Bingham
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Heil Central AC is Complete Crap!"
First off, let me say that we live in Buffalo, NY, meaning that when we even use our central air, it isn't for long or stressed in ways like it might be in the South! We had our Heil installed in July, 07, and when we went to turn it on this spring, discovered that the coil had "rotted to the core" (ie: rusted out completely and leaked out all its r410a refrigerant). We have had to pay nearly $100 for the service call to diagnose it, and expect to pay over $400 more for replacement as the labor is not covered. Only the parts are (for five years) ...but given what I am now reading about this product, worry that we will continue to experience difficulties with their product. Also, it should be noted that our local installer is giving us a significant discount to replace this part, or it would be nearly twice the price. Also, any attempts we made to discuss this matter directly with Heil and see if they would back up their faulty product by extending our warranty for labor or covering this repair cost, was met with frustration and futility. Their main rep. was like talking to a broken record, and clearly has been well versed in the ways of explaining away any fault or liability and in adding further frustration to customers who are realizing that they have been sold a load of crap, literally and figuratively!!

Date created: 2010-05-27 Name: Hot and Angry

"Designed to break after warranty ends"
I purchased 2 Heil central air conditioning units for my new house. At the time, Heil offered only a 5 year warranty. Now, they offer 10 year warranties---obviously a lot of people had problems after 5 years. At 6 years, one of the units stopped cooling and despite having their dealer technicians come to recharge, add Freon, and spray sealant for an evaporator coil leak, the unit is still not working. Now the second unit stopped working. I called and e-mailed Heil customer service and they basically said, "tough luck---it's off warranty." So that's $10,000+ down the drain. Now I have to replace these Heil pieces of junk.

Date created: 2010-03-25 Name: Dylan

"Do not buy"
We moved into a brand new house about 1 and a half years ago. We have had the repair man out 4 times so far. Every time we switch from heat to air something new breaks. This is a piece of crap.

Date created: 2010-01-27 Name: Vasnu Yu

"Heil 2 1/2 ton S/C split w/gas furnace"
My Heil split has worked for over 35 years. Huge wedge cond. unit with a coil over gas furnace. I replaced the compressor twice, the cond. fan 3 times myself. Have to replace the system this month, the fan limit is shot, and it is over 35 yrs old. The evap coil main pan is so thin. It still drains, but I clean it out with a chopstick to avoid puncturing it. Nothing but praise for this old unit. They built them to last back then. My service tech buds can't believe it's still running. But being so old, the elect. bills are over $300 in the summer.

Date created: 2009-09-27 Name: jeff standridge

"Unit is 4 ton gas package"
Coil went out repairman said I could buy a new rheem before putting money in a heil unit because they are junk.

Date created: 2009-09-05 Name: martha nguyen

"Out of gas"
This unit is not very old and it will not hold gas... it would seem that it should lastb longer than 8/10 years.....modle pgfo18k040a....

Date created: 2009-08-27 Name: Keith Rhodes

"Heil Junk"
Dont buy this junk..had my Heil unit for 5 years with 2 coils gone bad now having to spend $5,800 bucs to get a better brand unit.

Date created: 2009-08-17 Name: Mark

Have two units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. Bought new when we built the house. Every year either the heil furnaces or heil air conditioners have broken and had to have major repairs. This time it is the fan motor for the actual air conditioner. Almost $600.00. You would think that something like the air conditioner would last longer than 4 years without major repairs.

Date created: 2009-08-16 Name: M. DeLong
Location: Northern Arkansas

"Heil Air Conditioner"
We bought this new house 2 years ago with a Heil air unit. The blower motor went out about 3 weeks ago, and the part still has not showed up. We keep getting stories from our air guy about the unavailability of the motor. One was suppose to be shipped from Tennessee (we live in northern Arkansas), and it was "lost" in shipping. Now, we are getting the only one in the United States (located in Houston) and should be received anytime. It has been hot here, and very uncomfortable. I can't believe this is essentially a new unit, the blower stops working, and we can't get one. I will never buy another house with one of these units.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: Dale Dabbs

"Dale Dabbs"
I had (2) Heil two stage units installed side by side last fall. This summer one of the units runs very loud & makes a strange sound. My a/c Co. says all is well but I can't stand the noise. What can I do for help?