Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-09-01 Name: scott
Location: Simpsonville, SC

"22 years and still going"
I don't have any complaints about my Heil. It has gone 22 years and is still running. The only thing we had to do to it was replace the fan motor and that is when it was 20 years old. I'm replacing it because, well, it's just not as efficient as the new ones! Guess what I'm getting!

Date created: 2015-08-27 Location: Brownsburg, IN

"Quality air conditioning system."
The system was installed in our house in 1998. Six years after it was installed, the outer coil was replaced due to a lightening strike. The repair was a success and the cost was covered by homeowner's insurance. It has been a very dependable unit with no other issues. I would highly recommend the Heil brand to anyone needing a new unit. The only downfall is that it is not as efficient as newer units. Our Heil air conditioner continues to provide us with cool summer days so we will keep it till it is ready to retire.

Date created: 2015-08-18 Name: Michael M.
Location: Coppell, TX

"Great system"
Excellent system installed by an excellent support team. I've owned homes with Trane, Lennox, Carrier, and the performance of this system is better than Trane. Don't buy the fear that some Trane dealers sell about ICP product quality; it's just that, fear selling. The fact is my first Heil lasted 25 years, my neighbor has one that is 10 years old and runs great. He too was sold the fear of ICP by a Trane dealer but he did not buy it. The good news is the same system in Trane is 30% more. Value is in performance, not price, and Heil has good performance in my system.

Date created: 2015-08-09 Name: Mel
Location: Philadelphia, PA

"Don't buy"
I had a Trane previously that lasted 12 years with no issues. I have had this Heil for 6 years and spent $4500 for a new blower motor and cooling coil part this summer. What, no warranty? Very disappointed. This was an expensive unit. Don't invest in this unit. It's a money pit and I would never get it again.

Date created: 2015-07-18 Name: John
Location: South Carolina

"Inferior design"
Not a typical size of air filter, 13x21,5x1 is hard to obtain. Yet the filter does not fit well, leaving unprotected spaces through which dust is being sucked. Poor design.

Date created: 2015-06-25 Name: vic
Location: Anderson, SC

"Biggest piece of junk on the market. Do not buy."
Only 3 years old and already replaced the inner core, 350 dollars labor. Also the inside fan controller, 150 dollars labor.

Date created: 2015-06-01 Name: Ihatemyac

"Cheap garbage"
This is the cheapest unit on the market today. Cheap = garbage. Almost every year it has to be serviced. Don't buy Heil or any of the ICP family of brands. A 15 year old unit gives me 15 years of hell. I will probably go with Lennox,York, Trane, Rheem/Ruud, or Carrier for a replacement

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: David D. Dexter
Location: Canton, OH

"Heil AC coils leak horribly"
The Heil AC/furnace units installed anywhere between 2006 and 2009 have bad A/C coils in them which can leak anywhere from 3 to 6 pounds over a non-use season like winter. Heil was aware of this, and even though there is supposedly a 10-year warranty on these units and the coils are defective, Heil's parent company won't honor replacing the coil because they could not tell whether the issue was from non-maintenance by the owner or a defect. Be aware that just because they offer a warranty and your local dealer absolutely loves them, it may not be worth the paper it's written on.

Date created: 2014-10-09 Name: Frank
Location: Arlington, TX

"High Efficiency Heil"
I had my Heil when I moved in 18-plus years ago. All I ever did for maintenance is oil the outside fan unit and blow out the outside unit with a water hose. As far as the gas furnace, I blew it out with air every couple years and changed the filter every month to every other month during winter. When I first got this unit, on 100-plus degree days it would run almost all through the day. After getting new windows, and insulation in the attic, it ran properly during hot days and my electric bill went down by almost half. I think it's a good system and would buy another. We are getting a home makeover and our contractor is using Rheem. We'll see how that goes.

Date created: 2014-08-08 Name: Unsatisfaied
Location: Charleston SC

"Mystery Freon Leak"
Mystery Freon leak since year 5. The unit is now about 12 years old. Looked at by 3 companies. Sniffer can't find a thing. Last tech said Heil was notorious for these little micro-leaks at the little "u" joints on the evaporator coil. Adding Freon every year is not what I bargained for. I've had to have a circuit board replaced, a condenser fan motor replaced, and the condenser motor fan blade replaced. The circuit board was in excess of $200.00. It was on a recall but I didn't find that out until too late. They don't send out notices like the automobile industry does. I will say that when the tech opened the unit up the heat exchanger looked great. That's the only plus so far. Funny thing is when I had my unit installed my mom needed a unit too. She actually needed hers before mine. I found a guy who put in a Goodman at a very reasonable price. He installed hers and a few weeks later I needed mine installed. He couldn't get to me for a while so I hooked up with another guy. I told him I wanted a Goodman. He said he didn't install junk. Talked me into Heil. Guess what. My mom's unit has never had one single problem. Both are gas packs.