Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-07-18 Name: John
Location: South Carolina

"Inferior design"
Not a typical size of air filter, 13x21,5x1 is hard to obtain. Yet the filter does not fit well, leaving unprotected spaces through which dust is being sucked. Poor design.

Date created: 2015-06-26 Name: B. Mooers
Location: Vancouver, WA

"Inferior product"
After 5-6 days of operation over the last 18 months the condenser developed a hole due to inferior design and manufacturing. Reading input from others, this is clearly an inferior product that should be avoided at all costs - $1600 in my case! Heil does not stand behind their product or customers.

Date created: 2015-06-25 Name: vic
Location: Anderson, SC

"Biggest piece of junk on the market. Do not buy."
Only 3 years old and already replaced the inner core, 350 dollars labor. Also the inside fan controller, 150 dollars labor.

Date created: 2015-06-01 Name: Ihatemyac

"Cheap garbage"
This is the cheapest unit on the market today. Cheap = garbage. Almost every year it has to be serviced. Don't buy Heil or any of the ICP family of brands. A 15 year old unit gives me 15 years of hell. I will probably go with Lennox,York, Trane, Rheem/Ruud, or Carrier for a replacement

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: David D. Dexter
Location: Canton, OH

"Heil AC coils leak horribly"
The Heil AC/furnace units installed anywhere between 2006 and 2009 have bad A/C coils in them which can leak anywhere from 3 to 6 pounds over a non-use season like winter. Heil was aware of this, and even though there is supposedly a 10-year warranty on these units and the coils are defective, Heil's parent company won't honor replacing the coil because they could not tell whether the issue was from non-maintenance by the owner or a defect. Be aware that just because they offer a warranty and your local dealer absolutely loves them, it may not be worth the paper it's written on.

Date created: 2014-10-09 Name: Frank
Location: Arlington, TX

"High Efficiency Heil"
I had my Heil when I moved in 18-plus years ago. All I ever did for maintenance is oil the outside fan unit and blow out the outside unit with a water hose. As far as the gas furnace, I blew it out with air every couple years and changed the filter every month to every other month during winter. When I first got this unit, on 100-plus degree days it would run almost all through the day. After getting new windows, and insulation in the attic, it ran properly during hot days and my electric bill went down by almost half. I think it's a good system and would buy another. We are getting a home makeover and our contractor is using Rheem. We'll see how that goes.

Date created: 2014-08-08 Name: Unsatisfaied
Location: Charleston SC

"Mystery Freon Leak"
Mystery Freon leak since year 5. The unit is now about 12 years old. Looked at by 3 companies. Sniffer can't find a thing. Last tech said Heil was notorious for these little micro-leaks at the little "u" joints on the evaporator coil. Adding Freon every year is not what I bargained for. I've had to have a circuit board replaced, a condenser fan motor replaced, and the condenser motor fan blade replaced. The circuit board was in excess of $200.00. It was on a recall but I didn't find that out until too late. They don't send out notices like the automobile industry does. I will say that when the tech opened the unit up the heat exchanger looked great. That's the only plus so far. Funny thing is when I had my unit installed my mom needed a unit too. She actually needed hers before mine. I found a guy who put in a Goodman at a very reasonable price. He installed hers and a few weeks later I needed mine installed. He couldn't get to me for a while so I hooked up with another guy. I told him I wanted a Goodman. He said he didn't install junk. Talked me into Heil. Guess what. My mom's unit has never had one single problem. Both are gas packs.

Date created: 2014-08-01 Name: Mark Powers
Location: Phoenix

"Super happy with Heil HCA7"
I got the 17 seer two-stage hca7 and I'm super happy. It's so much more quiet then the old Goodman unit which died. I couldn't be more happy!

Date created: 2014-07-26 Name: J Pignatore
Location: myrtle beach sc

"Worst Ever"
Owned 4 homes in pass 30 years..Heil by far has been the worst unit ever..I Have 2 systems..at 2 ton and a 3.5 ton..both installed in 2010...since then both units have had air blowers replaced..the 2 ton unit had the compressor replaced within 1 year..the 3.5 ton unit compressor is now also gone...Never again..stay away from this unit..mechanics call it the "Hell" units

Date created: 2014-06-14 Name: Paul Giancola
Location: Buffalo NY

"JUNK"
After 3 years it leaked (apparently a common problem). Replaced it with a Goodman...as I have in all our properties.